Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
drinbanana

Searching for the Perfect Vanilla?

<snip>

Oh, you will never bore the regular Recommendations crowd, we LOVE this stuff and ask for it by name. :D

You will recognize sassafras when you smell it - it's the dominant flavor in root beer. <snip>

Well, I you love this I am happy to present some challenge :D

Ummmm... I most surely will not recognize the smell of root beer. Why? No root beer in Europe - well, maybe the Brits have it but they dont count :D (Just kidding, please dont be offended dear citizens of the United Kingdom - but you can get lots of things I know from the US in the UK too). It is pretty stupid, my sister lives in the US and I have been to visit her but never tried any root beer :P Maybe next time... But we dont have it here, dont know why not but it seems it has never come over.

Actually I dug through the snake pit right at the beginning of my bpal sniffing and the one I got a bottle of was Green Tree Viper, it is like Snake Oil light and I can wear it very well. Asp Viper is good too, all the others had something wrong with them. Loved Boomslang for some time too but after I got a bottle I did not like it any more :D Suddely all I smelled was the Snake Oil. And the one that keeps eluding me is Death Adder. One day I am going to catch her as well.

<snip> ImperatrixMundi, I think I may have found a vanilla scent twin (or cousin)! I had nearly identical vanilla experiences to yours. <snip>

Oooo, I has a scent twin! :(

Bengal was nice, I think I swapped and frimped both of mine away some time but it will one day come around again.

And hey, both of you recommended Lyonesse and the notes sound just perfect. It has been somewhere on my wishlist for ages but I totally forgot about it. The catalogue is so huge, no matter how often I did through it, I always come up with new stuff to try.

Thank you very much for your recommendations! :D

Edited by ImperatrixMundi

Hi, people :P I'm quite new to BPAL (made my first order this October, and this is my first post) but I'm already noticing a few trends to my tastes. My nose isn't experienced enough yet to pick up on many individual notes, but vanilla seems to be one that's common to many of my favorites so far.

I love Dorian, Eclipse, and Belle Vinu, all of which mention having vanilla notes. On the other hand, I also really like Scherezade, The Raven, and Ozymandias, which seem incensey/spicy/musky/woody. I don't think I really really want straight foody scents, but I'd love to find more scents that bend the vanilla with the spicy, incense/wood notes.

I've never been a fan of patchouli, but I guess it might work for me in blends, so I won't rule out scents that use it.

Suggestions?

Hi, people :P I'm quite new to BPAL (made my first order this October, and this is my first post) but I'm already noticing a few trends to my tastes. My nose isn't experienced enough yet to pick up on many individual notes, but vanilla seems to be one that's common to many of my favorites so far.

I love Dorian, Eclipse, and Belle Vinu, all of which mention having vanilla notes. On the other hand, I also really like Scherezade, The Raven, and Ozymandias, which seem incensey/spicy/musky/woody. I don't think I really really want straight foody scents, but I'd love to find more scents that bend the vanilla with the spicy, incense/wood notes.

I've never been a fan of patchouli, but I guess it might work for me in blends, so I won't rule out scents that use it.

Suggestions?

You might try the Antikythera Mechanism. There was a wonderful teak/oak note here. It was warm and delicious without being foody. Dragon's Milk is vanilla and dragon's blood resin and on me there's a slight spicy note that comes out. Good luck! :D

Maybe The Illustrated Woman from Carnival Diabolique. It has a woodsy vanilla vibe with a bit of spice.

Bengal might work too, but the honey might make it too sweet.

Snake Charmer doesn't have a huge vanilla note (for me anyway) but it sounds like it could work for you as well.

Morocco also has a slightly woody vanilla feel.

I agree about the Antikythera Mech. as well. It is lovely.

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions!

I'd not realized that Morocco had a vanilla feel, but now it goes to the top of my "to try" list. Bengal interests me too, and Pickled Imp could be good, though I wish i could try it in imp size before getting a full bottle.

I'm a bit wary of both the Antikythera Mechanism and The Illustrated Woman, simply because of the tobacco notes. I ordered an imp of Plunder in my last batch (and actually received two) and it was one of the blends that didn't work on me at all, I think because of the tobacco, though I could be wrong. I really am still trying to figure out what notes work and don't work for me, and I'm not doing too well at it :P

Ah well. Hopefully I'll learn more through experimentation.

I nominate humbug as the smoothest, sweetest vanilla. Wow!

That one and Snowblind are at the top of my vanilla list!! So amazing! :wub2:

Hmm... I've looked through all the replies here and will probably be ordering more imps soon to try some of these suggestions. I, too, am looking for a great vanilla since my guy loves it. ;) I've got an imp each of Antikythera Mechanism, Mouse's Long and Sad Tale, and Hunger on order, but have to wait a little to receive them yet. I saw mention of adding some singlenote vanilla to a fragrance I already like, but can't see a place where it's available for purchase. Is this a rarity or is there a special place I need to look for it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hmm... I've looked through all the replies here and will probably be ordering more imps soon to try some of these suggestions. I, too, am looking for a great vanilla since my guy loves it. ;) I've got an imp each of Antikythera Mechanism, Mouse's Long and Sad Tale, and Hunger on order, but have to wait a little to receive them yet. I saw mention of adding some singlenote vanilla to a fragrance I already like, but can't see a place where it's available for purchase. Is this a rarity or is there a special place I need to look for it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Aura Cacia makes a Vanilla Absolute that is diluted in jojoba oil (to make it affordable!). Check at your local Whole Foods; they will very likely carry it, or can order it for you. :D

Aura Cacia makes a Vanilla Absolute that is diluted in jojoba oil (to make it affordable!). Check at your local Whole Foods; they will very likely carry it, or can order it for you. :D

Thanks! I'll make sure to look for it.

My vote goes to snake charmer- sweetest vanilla throw ever. I LOVED Mouse's Long and Sad Tale until it turned on me :( No more vanilla, just sandalwood.

I think that vanilla might not age well or at least loses its sweetness. Anyone else encounter this?

The Antikythera mechanism one amped like spicy men's cologne on me somehow. I put it on my BF and it smelled like flowers :eek:

So I'm still searching for a good GC vanilla.

Edited by Yoginispirit

My vote goes to snake charmer- sweetest vanilla throw ever. I LOVED Mouse's Long and Sad Tale until it turned on me :( No more vanilla, just sandalwood.

I think that vanilla might not age well or at least loses its sweetness. Anyone else encounter this?

The Antikythera mechanism one amped like spicy men's cologne on me somehow. I put it on my BF and it smelled like flowers :eek:

So I'm still searching for a good GC vanilla.

I generally don't find this to be the case at all! In fact, most of my vanillas have aged spectacularly, but that isn't to say that perhaps the interplay of notes in Mouse's Long and Sad Tale don't somehow overwhelm the vanilla as it ages (that's one of those blends that doesn't much agree with my chemistry).

Have you tried Stimulating Sassafrass Strengthener yet? The sassafrass burns off fairly quickly and leaves me with smelling of cream soda -- delicious!

I saw mention of adding some singlenote vanilla to a fragrance I already like, but can't see a place where it's available for purchase. Is this a rarity or is there a special place I need to look for it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I think it also depends on what sort of vanilla you are wanting to add. On me Antique Lace is pretty much all bright bold vanilla bean. So for the stronger scents it may be a good one for layering. For a softer vanilla I like Mouse's... I know it has the sandalwood, but I mostly get a soft sweet vanilla and have used it for layering when I want a soft florally vanilla.

PM, I agree with you, I find aging can really bring out the vanilla in some scents. The first bottle I bought from the lab (getting on 4 years ago) was Love Me I didn't notice any vanilla in it whatsoever, it was all Jasmine, I went back to it a few weeks ago and there is so much vanilla there it overwhelms the jasmine now. Still love it though.

Edited by faylie

I wasn't sure if the single note vanilla to which you referred was in reference to the now discontinued BPAL single notes, but they are gone except for some that you might see in the swap lists.

This thread is only for recommendations for BPAL, so I won't go into vanilla notes offered by other companies, but sometimes I layer things with Midway. Unfortunately, it is an LE, although you might see it for sale or swap occasionally and it has been brought back before as a resurrected scent. I only have the original, but I did read reviews where some found the original to be more vanilla than the resurrected scent.

Thanks to everyone for their recs- I will definately try the sassafrass strengthener when I get over how broke I am from the Shunga, 13 and Agape update :thud:

I wasn't sure if the single note vanilla to which you referred was in reference to the now discontinued BPAL single notes, but they are gone except for some that you might see in the swap lists.

This thread is only for recommendations for BPAL, so I won't go into vanilla notes offered by other companies, but sometimes I layer things with Midway. Unfortunately, it is an LE, although you might see it for sale or swap occasionally and it has been brought back before as a resurrected scent. I only have the original, but I did read reviews where some found the original to be more vanilla than the resurrected scent.

Honestly, neither did I. *laugh* I'm fairly new to BPAL and didn't know if what was being referred to was something from here or not. Too bad the single notes from BPAL are discontinued, but I'll keep my eye on things in case they surprise us and bring them back. I'll also check out the swap threads, just in case. Floral isn't really my thing, so I'd probably prefer a more musky or woody vanilla. Of course, it'll all depend on how it morphs on my skin, so... who knows? :)

Thanks, everyone, for all the help. I'll definitely be experimenting with a lot more imps even if one of my original three is what I was looking for in the vanilla department.

My two favorites with heavy vanilla are Snake Charmer and Inez. Snake Oil is yummy too but not as complex on me.

I would recommend Love's Philosophy.. vanilla, saffron, and cream :yum:

The vanilla is sweet and bold, but the cream softens it up so that it's rich and velvety rather than being too sickly. The saffron adds just a hint of exotic spice, which stops it from being "just" vanilla. Some reviewers report a "green" or "herbal" note from Love's Philosophy - personally I don't get that on my skin, but I suspect that the saffron plays up/down depending on your skin chemistry.

It is an LE, but it comes up fairly regularly on the sales/swap threads so it's not impossible to find.. and definitely worth a try if you love your vanilla to be velvety and creamy soft.

All right ladies and gents. I have rekindled my romance with Regan (surveying the bottle box I realized I have an embarrassing number of colbalt bottles and while I know most scents age nicely, four years plus is pushing it a bit with me. I started out just wearing Regan to use it up but now I am craving Regan. It is a beautiful, gentle vanilla floral with amazing throw and a gentle creaminess. So feminine. So springy. So very, very perfect!) and started a new one with Opuhi (Regan and gingerale! I feel like I'm on vacation when I wear it!). I have it bad for vanilla orchid. Any good recs? GC or LE, I do not fear the sales forum.

I'm searching for the perfect vanilla sandalwood. Any ideas?

Have been trying to find some Shroud to layer with Antique Lace to see how it would make me feel.

Maybe you have a better, ready-made recommendation?

I'm searching for the perfect vanilla sandalwood. Any ideas?

Have been trying to find some Shroud to layer with Antique Lace to see how it would make me feel.

Maybe you have a better, ready-made recommendation?

Have you tried Mouse's Long and Sad Tale (Vanilla, two ambers, sweet pea and white sandalwood)?

On me it was totally vanilla and sandalwood. The only problem is I don't like sandalwood. <_<

Edited by anna1850

I know this thread has millions of recommendations, but I have a question. I want to order an imp with my order I will place today or tomorrow, and really want to find the PERFECT vanilla! (Doesn't everyone...)

I want a very heavy smooth creamy vanilla, maybe a little spice (carnation would be perfect) with NO fruity or very little floral in it. It could have a tad of cinnamon, or amber or incense, as long as the vanilla is very dominant. All the ones I have tried are not vanilla enough for me. I usually smell citrus, or it's all so faint I can barely smell. Guess this is what they call my skin's chemistry. Okay, well I'm ordering Snake Oil, and I have an aged imp, but honestly I don't smell vanilla. I have tried Morroco, Black Opal, Tombstone, and was thinking of trying O, Mouse's Long and Sad Tale, or can't think of what else. I do want to order from the lab, so does anyone have any recs?

I know this thread has millions of recommendations, but I have a question. I want to order an imp with my order I will place today or tomorrow, and really want to find the PERFECT vanilla! (Doesn't everyone...)

I want a very heavy smooth creamy vanilla, maybe a little spice (carnation would be perfect) with NO fruity or very little floral in it. It could have a tad of cinnamon, or amber or incense, as long as the vanilla is very dominant. All the ones I have tried are not vanilla enough for me. I usually smell citrus, or it's all so faint I can barely smell. Guess this is what they call my skin's chemistry. Okay, well I'm ordering Snake Oil, and I have an aged imp, but honestly I don't smell vanilla. I have tried Morroco, Black Opal, Tombstone, and was thinking of trying O, Mouse's Long and Sad Tale, or can't think of what else. I do want to order from the lab, so does anyone have any recs?

From the general catalogue, I would recommend:

Dana O'Shee
(Bewitching Brews) - Offerings of milk, honey and sweet grains were made to placate these creatures, and it is that the basis of the scent created in their name.

Dorian
(Sin & Salvation) - A Victorian fougere with three pale musks and dark, sugared vanilla tea.

I didn't like this one, but it's a forum favorite and is definitely super-strong vanilla.

Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener
(Doc Constantine's Pharmacopoeia) - Sassafras, vanilla extract, oak leaf, CO2 butter extract, and onycha.

Unfortunately, most of the super WHAM-POW vanilla/vanilla-spice scents that I would recommend to you are limited edition/unimpable:

Illustrated Woman
(Carnaval Diabolique) - Skin musk, smoky vanilla, pine pitch, patchouli, Indian resins, golden honey, and tobacco.

Inez
(Carnaval Diabolique) - Golden amber, vanilla musk, myrrh, cedar, carnation, and red sandalwood.

Love's Philosophy
(2008 LE) - Vanilla, saffron, and cream.

Midway
(Carnaval Noir) - Funnel cake, caramel apple, cotton candy, salt water taffy and sugar tart.

This dried down to a vanilla candle smell on me.

Saw-Scaled Viper
(Carnaval Diabolique) - Snake Oil with cinnamon, cassia, and red ginger.

On my skin, this goes on smelling like a super-spicy ginger cookie, but it dries to a glorious, edible vanilla.

And I feel bad even mentioning this one, it's so hard to get (but so delicious!):

Hod
(Sephiroth, discontinued) - Glory and Majesty, Kokab, God's Judgement.

It's a perfect vanilla-carnation scent.

Edited by Apple

Thanks so much for the help, and thanks for putting the descriptions, too. I am printing this out for future reference, maybe I will find some decants to buy. I've had my eye on Inez, and Hod sures sounds fabulous!

I tried Stimulating Sassafras and smelled no vanilla, it dried down to smelling like toothpaste on me. Weird. Do you think Dorian is more vanilla-ish than O or Mouse's Long and Sad Tale? I get so confused reading the reviews because of course it is different on everyone.