Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VorpalBunny

Oils To Help with PMS and Periods

I searched around to see if I could find an existing thread, and didn't find one, apologies if one exists.

Are there any blends that people would say help with hormonal mood swings?

I read an article that said general mood lifting scents are citrus, geranium, and ylang-ylang, although I am not a big citrus fan.

I've been stocking up on chocolate scents for this purpose. I don't know the medicinal powers of essential oils for this sort of thing, but I smile when I smell chocolate.

That counts, right?

High John the Conqueror always seems to lift my mood. It could be completely power of suggestion, but it really seems to help when I'm having a blah morning.

Macha, I agree.

For me, most of the choco scents are too foody, and they make me feel ick. But Intrigue - it's my "happy place" smell. I cannot get through my TOM without it.

I don't know about anything that has a real 'scientific' basis for working, but I do know that smelling 'Villian', which is the scent my boyfriend wears, when I'm bummed out and on my period, really helps me. I don't know if it's the association with him or something in the scent itself, though. (If it's the former that doesn't really help you!)

I can't think of any BPAL scents that have a combination of those three scents in it - but I've not tried many so I'm not an expert. If anyone has any suggestions, I'll be interested to hear them, though. I can't go round smelling like my boyfriend for a week every month! :P

Well, certainly there is some evidence in support of chocolate, because of the seratonin levels. Bliss, anyone? (I love Intrigue too, and Spooky just made it on to my TOM "list" for me.)

And lavender IS supposed to be an anti-depressant in aromatherapy, and apparently so is sage — so you may wish to investigate the effects of perfumes like Corazon and Chiroptera that have both.

I've noticed that many of the voodoo oils seem to have citrus components (lemongrass, I would assume,) and often have a base note that smells very much like geranium to my untrained nose. I would expect High John the Conquerer to smell like...well...High John root, but there certainly may be something to that. Another voodoo oil you might want to look at Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo. I hear good things about that one.

I think I may have found a blend that could be a good mood-lifting oil, will have to experiment.

Loralei has ylang-ylang (mood lifting scent), sandalwood (isn't that another mood-lifting scent, I seem to remember reading that somewhere?), and neroli (there's the citrus). Plus I think it's just a pretty blend.

Although I may want to keep an imp of Spooky in my purse just in case, I agree with you Macha. :P

I like light and/or creamy when Aunt Flo's in town.

Snow White

Persephone

Spooky

Anything too floral will give me a terrible headache.

Some people like foody scents, so perhaps Chimera, Gingerbread Poppet, Dana O Shee, Shub Niggurath?

Okay, I'm mostly here to learn because I'm a newbie and this thread is...timely for me. But I do have one suggestion.

If, and only if, you know you like it, a bit of Gluttony on your wrist might be good for when social norms prevent you from ignoring everyone around you and just sticking your face in a bowl of ice cream and swallowing it down like a whale eating plankton. (Cravings? Me? Nah.) Not that it smells like ice cream, but it's got that sweet, sticky baked goods smell. Personally, it makes me want to die, but if you know it works for you, it might help. Just don't lick your wrist.

Fallen and Fenris Wolf (as well as a few others, but its a mixed bag) actually become enhanced on my skin chemistry during that time of the month, which is really the only thing I look forward to. :P

Both are great for relaxing (as best you can) while waiting for the two tylenols to kick in and foot 15% of the bill.

Court

Not an oil, but have you tried taking vitamin B-12? I recently started to every morning and it has really helped.

Not an oil, but have you tried taking vitamin B-12? I recently started to every morning and it has really helped.

Along that line of thought, I have occasionally taken two a day (during period) of Evening Primrose oil, and this has really helped hellish cramps/ feelings of muscle weakness (and etc, from heavy flow). Helps quite a bit more than what Pamprin or similiar stuff on the market does, atleast in my case anyway.

Court

Edited by Court Analyst/Strategist

I too would avoid anything too floral, because I tend to get hellish migraines with my period. Also anything really woody, herbal or incensey even though I really like these most of the time. I'm thinking round, smooth notes like honey and vanilla (I second Antique Lace), maybe anything with green tea in (Shanghai, Bewitched) and also those reddish fruits that seem to really sing on my skin (Bordello, Blood Countess).

I'm not sure it'd make things better, but I think Nosferatu might be an interesting one to try since with all the earth and blood it's a very menstrual scent anyhow. So if you're feeling...er...celebratory! :P

I might add that Embalming Fluid, Shanghai and Santa Eularia des Riu all help relax and calm me, and have been known to make pre-menstrual headaches vanish (sweet sweet Embalming Fluid... *snuggles*)

It sounds in bad taste, but really, I find Blood Countess to be really nice when I'm on that estrogen crash. It's a tidy floral that keeps me happy and focused. And, well, I FEEL like a Blood Countess, damnit! Bow! Bow to my iron-clad cycle, women at work! Mwa-ha-ha! (they're all synched up to me now, btw. There's one especially crazy week at work each month for us.) :P

I discovered quite by accident that Moxie works amazingly well to relieve all the nastiness both right before and during my period. I put some on because I wanted a little more confidence, took a good strong whiff of my wrist and--poof! My cramps disappeared and I no longer wanted to throttle inanimate objects. It did make me crave grapefruit, though.

(edited because I can't spell)

Edited by Magda

I tend to alternate between wanting light, minty scents like Jabberwocky, and some of the deep musks such as Dragon's Musk. My skin really, really likes musk that week, and it just smells so warm and comforting :-) My beloved sandalwood, on the other hand, I have to stay far away from as it turns scarily harsh and strong.

Anything with Lavender placates that particular savage beast. (Especially the "Mood Swing Beast.")

I usually can't stand patchouli -- to the point that I nearly tossed my imp of Imp in the trash -- but then I tried it during "that time of month" and suddenly POOF! It was fantastic. And what's even weirder was that it didn't smell so noticably different from before, I just suddenly liked the smell :P