Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

This is a powerful attraction and advancement blend. It aids in polishing and magnifying your best qualities, while downplaying your flaws. Increases charm and wit, and helps you shine in a crowd. Wear a drop on each chakra point.

Hm, don't see a topic for this yet, but I feel a bit "meh" tonight so I thought I'd try Charisma and see if it perks me up. Usually I'm just about overflowing with charisma, so I'll be happy if it makes me feel as usual! :D

In the bottle: resinous and warm. A bit like patchouli, but softened with something smoky.

On me: Nothing at all like in the bottle! Weird. Ambergris? Yeah, I think so. That telltale drydown. Really not a favorite of mine, although if you love it, you love it. There seem to be some minor notes of grasses (?) and the aforementioned patchouli, but ambergris dominates. And, y'know, whale goo just doesn't say, "I'm so fabulous!" to me. :P This'll be for ritual use only, and will be washed off before I take my charisma and shimmy out the door. :D Edited by Shollin

On me, this smells like powder somehow, but the smell is not what makes this blend so freaking amazing. It is the way people react to me when I wear Charisma. I get all sorts of good attention: compliments, hugs, a few people have followed me around hanging on my every word. I swear! I feel strange writing this, I have a problem saying/writing things that sound like boasting, but its not what i'm doing, it is ALL about Charisma. I have not changed the way I do things when I wear it, but I am amazed at the change in those around me. The way my husband acts is my favorite part! He's like a puppy! Seriously like puppy-love! I can't get enough. I have never used so much of any oil in such a short time, either. I am so in love with the way people react to this scent, that even though I miss all my usual favorites, I can't help but wear this almost all the time. (also, applying it to all my chakra points in addition to my usual places) I never want to be without this oil. For a person with lifelong self-esteem issues, its the most useful thing in the world.

I can not thank Beth enough for the gift of her creation. :P

This blend definitely is *effective*!

As the previous poster mentions, others do seem to react in a very positive manner toward you when you have this oil on.

It also has quite a lovely fragrance as well.

A joy to wear in both aspects.

And yes, a big thank you to Beth for this fabulous oil.

:P

Holy Mother, this is gorgeous!! It takes all of my will power to not snort this directly up my nose.

Wet - resin and smoke. Indescribably beautiful.

Dry - as it dries it mellows; softens. It still smells gorgeous, but it's so subtle I really have to sniff to smell it. Even though it's subtle, it's quite long lasting. And it sure seems to be effective. I absolutely love this, and it will probably end up in my top ten, both for scent and efficacy. Love this!

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 5.

Since I followed the directions to a tee - I'm actually not going to comment on the scent, although it is pleasant... sort of "yellowish" and buoyant. Upon application to my chakra points this evening I was more intent on focusing on my purpose rather than the scent.

In the aftermath of a glorious evening spent in a social environment, I re-open the imp and this is what I get: amber, citrus, a hint of lemon and a powdery note mentioned before.

Regarding the effectiveness - oh my. Ok, a bit of back-story: I am a very shy individual. I get nervous easily and sometimes I stammer a little, or I speak too quickly. I'm not the sort to keep an individual's attention very long because it makes me uncomfortable to be on the spot.

Anyway, I had plans to go to a party tonight where I'd be seeing a whole bunch of people I haven't seen in some years. While it wasn't a hundred percent necessary to make an impact, I wanted a bit of a nudge when I walked into the room.

The armaments: down-dressed, nice, clean makeup, and Oya as my perfume for the evening. The secret battalion: seven tiny drops of charisma - one on each of my chakra points.

I have *never* seen that many heads swivel in my direction before. I have *never* been so at ease talking to so many random people in succession. What's best - it was all so natural - it's like I'd slipped into a second skin. The way I carried myself, my posture, even the way I was walking (strutting) around the place was different; more confident, more feminine.

I am exceptionally impressed, and in all likelihood, I will buy a bigger bottle of this.

This is the first TAL I've ever really tried, and can I just say... WOW, This stuff WORKS.

The scent isn't that pleasant. I didn't buy it for the smell, though, so I am not going to comment other than it is earthy-voodoo-oil-smelling.

I actually only used a wee bit and anointed a few chakra points (throat & heart & head, for communication and being seen as a good person, etc... I was lazy and didn't do all of my chakra points, though). I wore it under other perfume because I really didn't want to smell like... that.

I wore this because I was meeting up with someone I know, but she's one of those "I-don't-know-if-she-even-likes-me" type of friends, because we live hours apart and don't talk all that often. She was also bringing along a few of her friends whom I haven't met, and I generally tend to be shy & reserved around new people.

All throughout the day, complete strangers were insanely nice to me, calling out to say hi or comment that I looked beautiful (not something I hear that often from strangers!), I had every makeup artist in MAC swoon over me, I saw Sarah from ANTM on the street, and tons of people complimented me all night. I had such a good day, all day. Nice coincidences and things that made me smile & feel good about myself. And I had a blast with everyone I met up with, and had a completely great time.

LOVE this stuff!

I wore Charisma today because I had to go in to the hospital and talk to a bunch of people about my treatment plans and a whole bunch of fun personal stuff. I was scared out of my wits and wanted to make a good impression so that people would actually listen to me... and I wanted something that would perhaps help me to talk to people, form coherent sentences, and just generally make a great impression on the people that I need to help me out.

That said, I did feel a lot better today when I wore Charisma. I was unnaturally (for me anyhow) calm and didn't have a single moment where I stuttered or felt overwhelmed. I knew exactly what I wanted to say and ask, and I was able to speak without any hint of anxiety or trouble. Everyone that I encountered was warm and really went out of their way to help me and try to strike up conversations with me. It was as though complete strangers suddenly found me to be captivating and fascinating.

I even like the way that Charisma smells, but I've found most of the TAL blends that I've tried to be rather pleasantly scented. Charisma actually makes me think of the way that glass smells, sort of cool and clean. It's clean, a bit powdery, and a bit smoky on me. And I definitely get a spicy/resinous hint of frankincense in here as well(and I lurve frankincense).

Overall, I love this one.

Edited by Blood onmy hands

I anointed my chakra points with Charisma last night before attending my high-school reunion. Although I had been kind of dreading it, it was a really nice evening. People seemed sincerely happy to see me, and I actually had a few people literally following me around all evening. I got several unexpected hugs and random squeezes from old friends throughout the night. Most of all, I felt really comfortable in my own skin. Instead of feeling like I needed to impress people, I felt completely at ease just being myself and being open to other people.

What an unexpected (but beautiful) result! I kind of expected Charisma to bring out the cocky, life-of-the-party side of me, but instead it brought out the calm, centered, genuine, happy, warm open side of me, and that allowed me to connect with people in a much more fulfilling way.

:P

I like that Charisma has specific instructions, and that they're pretty straightforward, not esoteric at all. I did try it as suggested, a drop on all chakras. I didn't use much as I didn't love the scent in a "I want to smell like this" way, which is fine, as it's not for that really. Though I should note it didn't smell in any way *bad*, just more... herbal?

Anyway, I actually thought I got major good service everywhere I went- the highschool kid who's usually comatose or snotty at the deli actually brought my food-to-go to me, which he never does. And when we went out to dinner I thought our waitress was going to pet me, I swear. And so on. I definitely got way more attention from strangers than usual. Interesting. Plus, I was exhausted and not exactly being particularly outgoing (I'm like a huge introvert, and it takes a *lot* of energy for me to chat people up... I've learned to do it, but when I'm tired it's one of the first things I have a hard time with.)

OK, rambly review but there you have it. I'll have to try it when I'm feeling more lively, too.

I tried this oil this morning as I was having an utter panic attack that my boss was going to ream me for not having my time sheets filled out and for not billing enough hours lately. I thought a little Charisma might help me turn a confrontation into a positive discussion than a scream-fest or a crying jag.

I did a quick ritual in which I anointed my chakras (or there general vicinities) and asked for strength, power, calmness, decisiveness and charisma.

The smell of this oil is, as other have said, much less like a traditional perfume than regular bpal. I expected that since it's a ritual oil and not just perfume. But the scent is NOT awful. It's actually pretty pleasant: sharp, pungent, and herbal with a smoky resinous note under it all. I'm not getting patchouli, it smells more piney or minty to me... But it may simply be a type of patchouli I'm not familiar with. I would guess that (likie patchouli) whatever the base to this is, it is a resinous evergreen of some sort. There's something kind of peppery-spicy in there too.

As for the results... It's hard to tell how much is my own attitude and how much is the oil. It turned out that my boss was out sick today (although my time sheets are ominously missing from their drawer), so I can't go his attitude. My secretary is the same as ever and when I went to the bank and coffee shop nobody treated me any differently than normal. However, I FEEL more charismatic than usual. I'm alert, calm, and productive. And I really shouldn't be since I had crappy sleep last night. I'm also optimistic and centered.

I'll definitely use this one again and keep track of my results.

Edited on 5-16-06 to add the following:

I used my Charisma in a similar fashion one day last week when I had a motion hearing in an unfamiliar court. It was not strong enough to make me feel comfortable hanging out with the 50 year old pompous men in the attorney's lounge, but did seem to help when I was actually speaking in front of the judge. I had none of the usual sweaty palms, and I think I less confrontational than usual in my arguments. In any case, the client was happy with me at the end of the day, and I more or less got my way in front of the judge. Again, whether it was the oil or me is hard to verify. But I think just knowing I'd done the ritual and having something to focus on helped me be more charismatic than usual.

As a total aside, my boy thinks this one smells great on me. I realize it's not a perfume, but both days I've worn it he has commented on it and tried to jump me at inappropriate times. At HE thinks I have more Charisma than usual. :P

Edited by kakiphony

I decided to do a small test at home when I'm not around many people. I put a drop on my head and throat and over my heart -- I paid special attention to my throat.

To me, it smells like incense over a strong sweet resin, but it has a bright quality to it as well. While wearing it, I found myself laughing more easily, and conversation was less stilted. I felt like I didn't need to hunt for words. My husband's friend came over and sat next to me on the couch and talked to me for a while, and he doesn't often do that.

I like the scent, and I like the way it makes me feel -- also it lasts a long time and has strong throw. I am planning to wear this again when I'm around more people, now that I feel comfortable with its effects.

This is based on scent alone right now.

From the bottle: it smells smoky and resinous with a supposedly unpleasant scent underneath. It's supposed to be unpleasant but it works nicely in the blend. It reminds me of Hymn in a very strange way, and I LOVE Hymn.

On the skin: that unpleasant scent comes out more fully. It's a sweet and bitter scent and it's damn strong. It mixes with the resin, though, to smell like plastic but in an okay way.

On drydown: There's got to be tonka in this blend or everything slows down to imitate it. Not entirely unpleasant, I'm pleased! It's hard to be charismatic when people are gagging on your perfume. Hopefully it works when I'm around people because I'm by myself right now. Anyone think I type charismatically? :P

ETA:

I forgot to add that this really does smell delicious! It's SO MUCH like a GC scent I've tried and loved when dry, I think it may be Mata Hari... and YES that's it! There's a green and resin underneath the tonka but it's not gross like I usually would think. Now I'm really hoping it'll make me more eloquent.

Edited by PixieSkull

Ok, so I tried this for the first time tonight in a fairly low stress situation, just to test it out. I had a birthday party (drinking and dancing) to attend for a co-worker/friend. At this particular house and with this particular group I am usually comfortable, but this afternoon I was feeling exhausted and down on myself, so I hit the chakra points with Charisma before I left the house. After I got out of the shower I did a very quick ritual which included focusing intently on the bottle before applying, applying one drop to each chakra point as instructed while asking for confidence of "______", whatever that chakra represented: sexuality, heart, truth, etc., and then focusing on the bottle a bit more with some deep breathing. I had been quite tired before the ritual, even post shower, and after applying it was quite the opposite. I was tingly, practically vibrating, bright eyed and bouncy. On the way to the Metro quite a few heads turned. I had a super fun time at the party - no deep and meaningful connections, but an overall bright time with lots of smiles and folks looking out for me.

Smell wise it's very powdery/ambery on me. Since Forest had told me I could wear a secondary scent with it I went with Jacob's Ladder as it seemed to complement well.

Awesome experience.

To me this smells green and bitter, so what I tend to do is put it on my chakras before I get ready in the morning as I get ready try to focus on the positive aspects of myself that I will need for the upcoming event, then just before I leave I apply a BPAL that is more scent appropriate for me. I wouldn't necessarily say that other people have acted differently to me, but I'm certainly more confident in myself and less generally stressed out when I wear Charisma. I want to wear it every day, but I'm worried it might 'dilute' the effects.

I decided to give Charisma a shot for my first day at work -- I'm extremely nervous around new people and tend to babble, I figured that the combination of meeting new people plus the presence of a man I'm extremely attracted to would make me absolutely terrified.

Charisma's got a strong smell, plenty of throw -- very herbal and incense-y, somewhat sharp. It's got a very warm scent and the moment I dabbed it on my chakras, I felt ready to conquer the world.

Unfortunately, the feeling I had didn't match the response of those around me -- the ritual I did with it certainly fizzled well, there was no effect in the people around me. Heck, some people I'm familiar with were suddenly far RUDER to me than normal. :P I think maybe my uncertainty during the ritual affected it (it's not exactly the type of spellwork I usually do), I think I'll give it another shot and see if I'll have better luck!

Charisma - This scent is entirely frankincense on me. I'm sure there is other stuff in the blend, but I sure don't smell it. It's a gorgeous scent and if I place a tiny dab on my chakra points, the lovely scent wafts about me all day -- which is an extra bonus for a TAL oil! If I wear another BPAL oil with frankincense in it like Faustus or Rose Cross, the scents compliment each other perfectly. As for the charismatic effects -- oh my, yes, it works! At work in particular, I've found that people with whom I have a very professional relationship are suddenly warm, friendly, and joke around more than they do when I'm not wearing Charisma -- including people I talk to on the phone but not in person! I find that I also feel more charismatic and charming, and I notice that I'm a bit more witty and tend to not find myself at a loss for words in what would otherw ise be a possibly awkward situation. I lov e this oil -- both how it works and how it smells. I'm putting this at the top of my list of TAL bottles to purchase.

Edited by edenssixthday

I love the resin-wood-musky smell. If I hadn't purchased Charisma with specific intentions, I'd be tempted to wear this as an all-around perfume.

I applied this to my chakras this evening before going to an open mike where I'd be performing - and mingling when I wasn't onstage. I also decanted an imp to bring with me and reapplied to my throat chakra just before going on. The energy I felt from the ritual was relaxed while being more interested in the actions I was doing and the people in my midst. I felt confident enough to debut two songs I hadn't put on my set list.

Not only did I get compliments all night on my music, I got into a bunch of enjoyable conversations, and got offers of help in advancing my career and a couple social invitations. It was a fun, successful night, for sure.

ETA: I got a second bottle of this recently and this bottle smells sweeter, more honeyed. It's still very effective. This has become my favorite oil to wear when I perform.

Edited by Mountaingrrl

In Bottle: Sweet wood

On Skin: This scent has a beautiful warm resin feel. Very soft and slightly woody. It also has a powdery note, which is probably the resin because resins always go slightly powdery on me. Hmm… maybe amber? It has a light smoky incense note too, but nothing overwhelming, just enough to warm it up a bit more. It’s very pretty and very comforting as soon as I smell it on my skin it feels welcoming and like a nice hug. I can’t wait to try it out for it’s intended purpose although I don’t usually need help with charisma since I’m so outgoing, but of course I wouldn’t mind “shining in the crowd”. I really like this oil and wouldn’t mind having more… It has a very light throw and the wear length is short to average.

Scent only: (I will add to this as soon as I try it out in a social setting :P)

in the bottle: a bit harsh, but not overwhelming. Definitely getting that bitter-pine that a few people mentioned.

wet: still bitter, a bit stronger even, but with an odd sort of sweetness. Like a bit of honeyed amber hidden inside a tall, slowly decaying pine tree. But in a good way...

dry down: The honeyed amber scent disappears a bit more. Warming, but with a definite, strong bitterness, pretty hard to explain really.

overall impression: It smells nice, but not amazing, bitter pine, with a touch of powdered sweet and resin, but I'm waiting to test it out for its qualities, scent is only secondary. I don't tend to need a lot of help with Charisma most of the time, but I'm really eager to try this out in an audition, as that is where I tend to get nervous.

Effectiveness:

By george I think this stuff works! Initially I didn't see a noticeable difference, but then again I don't usually need too much Charismatic help. However, today I was sitting in on an (esl) recording session where my supervisor basically suggested I do my best to be a fly on the wall. Well, the director not only asked my opinion more than once, but at lunch break, asked my supervisor if I could sit in with them again tomorrow! It was great! And I definitely felt calmer and more collected than I usually do in this kind of situation. Maybe it's not the Charisma... but then again, maybe it is :D

Edited by Natch

Testing primarily for scent and not for intent right now:

In the imp: a honeyish resin - almost boozily dark and syrupy.

On me, wet: whoa, powdery resin and herbs, with some soft woods behind it.

On me, dry: back to that boozy resin, but with those woods intensified and taking the sticky edge out of it. And finally, a soft, powdery sandalwood smell is all that's left.

Verdict: I didn't notice much difference in how people reacted to me, but the scent itself didn't do much for me. Enh.

I tried Charisma yesterday and today. In terms of scent, definitely herbs and spices kind of action. I get jasmine and clove, but I don't know what else.

Yesterday I was in a really grumpy mood. I didn't see many people, but the people I did see acted mostly normal.

Today I was in a much better mood. While people were friendly and smiled at me, I don't know that there was a marked difference from their normal response to me on my happy days. The scent had a lot of endurance. I think I'll keep trying it and see if I get any major breakthroughs with it.

I tried this oil a couple of times now. I wore it to job interviews and while I'm not sure if it worked there I had an experience that convinced me of its effect.

I went to a concert with a friend and her acquaintance. This acquaintance usually doesn't like me at all- I don't know what I've done to her, it seems she even didn't like me before we met the first time since she ignores me and tries to avoid talking to me since I first saw her.

I've always been friendly to her and I'm sure I gave her no reason for her behaviour. My friend said that this person just doesn't like some people and is generally a little cool and often keeps a distance.

So I thought I'd put on charisma. I could use the 'help' for a social situation like concerts alone since I'm a little shy, and I wanted to see if it had any 'side-effects' on the acquaintance.

It had. When she joined my friend and me she didn't greet me as always although I send Hello to her (but ok, I'm used to that), but the longer we were together the friendlier she got. She even reacted when I said something to the whole group (usually she doesn't feel spoken to), and she joined in when I joked about something. Of course we weren't the best friends :P but spending the evening with her was much easier than the times before. Even my friend commented the day after that me and her acquaintance seemed to be getting along way better that evening.

I'm almost sure that I can ascribe this effect to the oil, since I didn't act any different than usual. Maybe it only had an effect on me, put me more on ease and made me more confident (that's how I feel everytime I wear this) so that I came across differently instead of the oil directly having an effect on the other person, but whatever it was, it helps getting others a more positive perception of you :D

I'll definitely get a bottle of this and continue wearing it in situations where I can need a little help with my charisma or when it's important to leave a positive impression (as in job interviews etc), since it also has a positive effect on how I see myself and I immediately feel more present, open and approachable when I wear it.

Edited by shadith

I bought an imp of this and tested it out Friday evening at an SCA (renaissance) event. I had spent the day preparing, setting up my tent, working a shift, etc. and then put a few drops on my wrists, throat and heart. I also let my friend try it out and we headed to the tavern.

Now, mind you, I'm not usually the type of girl the guys go for. I'm not naturally bubbly...I'm more likely to discuss the philosophy of how to become involved in a large social organization than to actually chat up a guy at the bar. I don't consider myself to be terribly attractive but not ugly or anything...I'm also overweight but not as bad as I was...but definitely not thin. I had no makeup on, my hair was in a ponytail. I ended up surrounded by a group of men that would make any woman drool. These men are SO out of my league...but they were all over me! It was almost scary. It was so incredible! The same thing with my friend. I looked at her, over the head of an incredibly hot knight who had his head buried in my chest and she was grinning from ear to ear. It was literally a "I'll have you, but not you...you can come closer...nope, not you" type of night. WOW!

Okay, so I got next to no sleep Friday night...then worked all day at the event on Saturday. I was very tired by the time we headed to the tavern Saturday night. Now, I'm sort of seeing this guy who is in the local group. He had gone to bed early on Friday night. We typically interact in the group as a couple but refuse to identify as a couple if that makes any sense. He has certain status and a conservative persona and has to be very circumspect. We have traveled outside our local group as a couple but we have never camped "together" locally. It was a cold night and I had my down comforter. He wrestled with things and ended up in my tent sleeping comfortably and warm. It was very nice! That on top of the fact that he kept whispering in my ear that I smelled lovely. Now, that had to be the Charisma because I hadn't had a chance to take a shower Saturday evening and was sweaty and dusty from the day.

So...uhmmmm....without too many details...very effective...I couldn't tell you what it actually smelled like but it smelled rather nice to me and not offensive at all.

Adding to the chorus of "This oil works liek whoa!" :D

I get the scent of carnation, musk and some sort of resin from this. It smells good enough to me to wear as a perfume.

And the effects...every time I wear this I feel personally empowered and much more confident. People react to me in a very positive way, as well - initiating conversation, giving compliments, smiling, joking. I highly recommend this as a social facilitator and personal-power enhancer! :D

One little, tiny warning: The instructions for use are to dab a drop of oil on each chakra point. Be careful with the root chakra! Don't dab it in such a way that it might dribble onto tender parts because then it is ouchy. :P A small drop high on the tailbone works best.

Edited by Chrysantza

Gotta add my two cents on thsi one, as well. Let me just say that I am never going to play another concert without this blend! It gave me such confidence and helped me convey all the various emotions and etc. that I wanted to in my performance. I felt very dynamic and energetic on stage, and also alert. I got a lot of positive feedback after the concert, and was in a great mood to be chatty with people as well (and sometimes being chatty with random people is nto so easy for me).

I haven't tried this with romantic intentions, but I am sure that it will be equally effective. This is a FANTASTIC blend!

The smell is very resinous, to me, and blended well with Euterpe, the scent I always wear for playing concerts.

I would highly recommend this blendf to anyone who needs a boost of confidence and wants their personality to shine through at all times. Love it! :P

Edited by euterpe414