Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Villain

A classic Victorian men’s cologne: a lavender fougere, with hints of lilac, lime, and citrus musk.

In the Imp (ITI): It does smell rather masculine to m on first sniff. The There is a sweetness that meets the nose, which I assume is the tonka bean base note of the fougere. This is mediated by the lavender, which is a true lavender note. I can discern the lilac and lime, but these are notes I'm having to tease out after multiple sniffs.

Wet: On my skin, the lavender comes to the front as the top note, but it's tempered by the tonka base note, the lilac, and the citrus musk, which has come out on my skin. At this point, there is a slight menthol scent that I'm getting.

Dry: As it dries down (about 5 -8minutes), the tonka bean comes to the forefront as the lavender recedes to something I have to concentrate on a little more to detect. The lilac is still present, while the lime/citrus notes are still there, but much harder to detect on initial sniffs.

Wet: Herbal lime musk. Masculine-leaning.

Drydown: It sweetens. Lavender, lime, and musk with a touch of creamy tonka.

Dry: Sweet lilac and woodsy lime. Clean and creamy.

The last diabolical dapper men's scent I tried was Dorian, which turned out beautifully, so I have high hopes for this one!

In the imp: Oooh, citrusy cologne!

On me, wet: Not very strong. Lavender-citrus-musky-creamy. Kind of reminds me of Dorian, but a different shade of white. I REALLY like it, but I'm not sure I like it on me, which was pretty much my reaction to Dorian too. I guess this is just what cologne smells like? If so, I think I like cologne--it's not really my style, but I think it smells really nice and sexy, and for some reason whatever musks are in cologney smells never go stinky and bad on my skin. This might be my favorite of the two of them, though--Dorian had this lemon-pledge thing going on that I wasn't really a fan of, even though Best Friend assured me she smelled no such thing.

On me, dry: Lovely. I don't even think of it as a man-only scent, it's just very creamy, dapper lavender-lime. Definitely keeping it around!

Oh my Mr. Villain! :thud:

*ahem*

There must be something else in here besides lavender, citrus and lilac. I despise lavender with a passion but this just comes together ever so smoothly. It's the lavender from TKO, a gorgeous creamy lavender coupled with just a hint of lilac. This isn't too masculine and definitely wearable for female villains.

The only drawback is that it doesn't last very long on my skin.

*Edit for spelling*

Edited by Monday

mmm i think this might be my new favorite so smooth and delicious

in the imp- lavender and citrus abit cologney

wet- this is amazing the lavender is there but not to overpowering and the citrus musk and tonka comes into play leaving it rather creaming with just a hint of the lilac

dry - oh my i didnt think it was possible for a perfume to get stronger as you wear it since they usually disspear on me pretty quickly it still smells the same

other notes - i was in the store today and people kept apologising to me for being in the way this has never happened before this makes me think of a cold cruel detached man who is extremely wealthy and sexy at the same time and it makes me feel just that way ive also never gotten compliments on a oil like i have with this its a must buy. i just ordered 2 5ml bottles because i wanna mix it in everything plus wear it

my new signature scent :D

This smelled like soap on me the whole time. A lightly powdered soap. It smelled very clean, and fresh, but not something I want to wear.

My BPAL-sniffing buddy and I were raised in very different school systems in very different parts of the country. Nevertheless, the minute we opened this imp, we both instantly remembered getting to "clean" our elementary school desks with shaving cream--because that's exactly what this smells like, shaving cream. It's the same kind my dad always used when I was a kid and the same time I used the first time I shaved my legs because my mom never used shaving cream. Pleasant, clean, and comforting, but not exactly something I want to smell like.

However, I am really proud to say that this is one of the few scents which actually smells better with my chemistry than hers. Hers amps the lavender until it becomes an overwhelming, headache-inducing sort of floral. Mine pretty much maintains the scent the way it was in the bottle. It lasts for quite a while and has decent-to-strong throw.

I do think this could be incredibly delicious on the right man, but it just reminds me of my dad too much for me to be able to find it sexy. It's a cool, light green sort of cologne and I prefer warmer, slightly sweeter colognes. My imp is probably going into the swap pile.

VILLAIN

A frimp from the Lab, tested blind.

in vitro Sweet, aquatic.

Wet Sweet, floral, possibly some mint. After three minutes it was a cool floral.

Drying Mild and sweet.

Pleasant but unmemorable on me.

So I've been looking for something to replace Saint-Germain, and I think this might be it. Of course, I'm wearing it now, and I need to see if my partner likes it. It has some similarities to Saint-Germain, but it appears that the only thing they have in common is lavender, and that isn't really very prominent. It's not as deep -- it's a little lighter, citrusy and even aquatic. I'd say that I could wear it, but I would prefer it on my partner.

I definitely tried this years ago and disliked it, but it's lovely on me now! The florals and citrus and musk all work together nicely. It's soft and a little powdery, but not distinctly masculine or feminine. I actually think it's a bit too soft for a typical villain, but it kind of makes me think of a well-to-do middle-aged "gentleman" who seduces young women several decades his junior.

Not unpleasant at all, but definitely the most soap-like bpal I've ever tested. The creamy lavender (definitely from TKO) is lovely, and up close I can pull out the individual notes and appreciate them, but the throw is all generic soap.. and that's not generally the scent impression I prefer to give ;)

To my nose: That's odd.. It smells like warm, clean lavender and the same type of lime that's in my beloved Voodoo. I like it!

On me: I'm very surprised that it's a sweet and fuzzy lavender with a hint of lime. Usually lavender is either dark, or cologne-y. I think I also smell lilac, but not a fresh-from-the-bush type of lilac. It's more a scented candle-type of lilac to me.

After five minutes: I smell some vanilla in this. Very pleasent warm and fuzzy vanilla and lavender.

After two hours: I completely forgot that I was testing, lol! I still really like Villain. It's got a nice and sweet lavender with a vanilla undertone. I'm also really happy that this one didn't turn out to smell like soap on me, which many of the other lavender-scents have done.

Still searching for my perfect BPAL lavender (my favourite scent) and yeah, this ain't it (I have TKO, but haven't tried it yet, LOVE Erebos - if only it came in oil form!).

In the imp: Very faint overall, and a very faint lavender smell, muted by some sort-of flowery, clean, fresh, watery smells. This smells very fresh and springlike to me, not villainous, but not that girlish, either. It's sort of neutral.

Wet: Lavender, but again, it's kind of masked by the other notes -- I'm guessing the lime and citrus, because I amp those like crazy. Apparently a fougére is kind of woodsy, or herbal? I'm definitely getting that here, although it's not very green. It doesn't smell much like men's cologne to me, either. Almost soapy, but not quite.

Drydown: I'm not getting the shaving cream feel some other people did, but it's close; there's definitely that sharp, clean, just-washed-your-hands toiletries smell. The lavender is struggling through a bit more, but it's more like lather from soap which contains lavender, or something. It's not one of the high white sharp aquatic/florals that gives me a headache, but this is so not for me.

Verdict: Keeping the frimp (thanks Lab!), but really not for me. It also wore off very quickly.

Husbandly opinion: "It smells nice. Kind of powdery. No, not really sweet. Not flowery, not fruity. I can see how some people might think it would smell like shaving cream or soap."

In the imp: Sharp lavender. Granted, a lot of these are smelling sharp to me in the imp.

Wet on skin: Hmmmm, I'm not sure where the lilac is, but I think it's the lime and citrus musk giving it that sharp edge.

Dried down: Well, that's softened a bit. I like it better now, but I'm not entirely sure how much I actually like it.

Throw: It's got a little bit of throw.

Verdict: *** I really want to love this one, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to stick with like. I don't know if I can get F to try it on or not (getting him to try on scents has been like pulling teeth, but he's enjoyed the ones I've had him try so far. I should probably get him to try Jareth, but I kind of want that one for myself. :) )

On wet, a light lilac/citrus...musk? Dry, it takes on a thick powdery tone that is smooth, light somehow, and pleasant to my nose. It reminds me of King's barbershop talc, and someone who takes good care of themselves. More a gentleman than a Villain. I would not wear this for myself but I sure would have my husband wear it to visit my parents. Very nice!

In the bottle: Straight up fougere and citrus, not a lick of lavender in the bottle when I sniff. A whole lotta cologne smell instead.

Wet: Still lots of the fougere and citrus, but the citrus dies back pretty quickly on my skin. After a few minutes the initial sharpness of the fougere softens and sweetens, starting to let the lilac and lavender through.

Dry: Sweet lavender/lilac with the fougere going all soft and musky around it. Quite different to what it smells like in the bottle!

Villain is one of my favourite scents - it's androgynous in good way. It stays sweet and beautiful on me, with a hint of male from the fougere. I wear it to work a lot and it's my "go to" for interviews because I always feel in control and yet still a bit feminine. It's hard to describe but this is my comforting, in control scent.

I don't get the shaving cream analogies, but when I put it on my man it was straight up, almost cliched shaving cream! I quite liked it on him, but he couldn't get past the typical cologne associations he has with lavender fougere I think.

Moo, I'm underwhelmed. It's basically Dorian, minus all the charm. Much less long lasting and much less throw than Dorian, too, but would probably work better for anyone seeking a 100% masculine scent, whereas Dorian is more pleasantly gender-blurred to me.

That said, Villain mixes *awesomely* with Bram Stoker, both of them seem a little lacking alone, but together they are AMAZING! Turns into a scent that makes me think of Heathcliff - upperclass and rather arrogant, grumpy and antisocial, but sexy despite all that. And somehow, when you mix them they give *great* throw, which neither has alone on me - alchemic wizardry! :D

In the imp: Lavender and lime.

Wet: The lime note is the most prominent, along with the citrus musk, but the lavender fougere is certainly present. Then, the citrus musk decides it wants the leading role. It definitely reads as a gent's cologne.

Dry: Citrusy lavender fougere.

Verdict: I like this, but I would prefer to smell it on a man! (Alas, the one I have doesn't really like gentleman's cologne scents.)

In the imp: A lavender-citrus blend, just like it says. Citrus-dominant (alas - I love lavender!), but the lavender is going a strong second. I don't have much experience with fougeres, so I hope this one doesn't go straight soapy on me like Venustas did.

Wet: ...Woop, there it is. I've done a bit of research, and a couple of places say that fougeres are supposed to have a soapy edge thanks to the coumarin. In that case, apparently that's what I'm amping to hell and back - barely a hint of floral sweetness; just soap all the way down. *grumble*

Dry: The soapiness gradually morphs into a general baby powder note, gently scented with lavender. It's a very soft scent, and not unpleasant, but has too little grip for cold January mornings. I'll re-test this one in the summer to see if a gentle, fresh, clean scent works better then.

Edited by Lunasariel

IN the imp: Oops, I forgot to sniff it in the imp.

Wet on me: Sharp citrus and even sharper lavender.

Dry: This is a gorgeous mixture of primarily fresh lavender and lime peel, with currents of lilac whispering through it. It's softened quite a bit from the wet stage, and is now an elegant and refined cologne. I happen to be fine with wearing more masculine scents, but I can see how this would be too masculine for more feminine women. I, however, am loving this. If this is what a villain smells like, sign me up for the next world domination plot!

A clean, gender neutral scent. I get a cologne base and primarily lavender with a hint of mint/citrus (a lavender mojito?).

In the imp: Creamy curry??

Wet: Salty and weirdly, aquatic. It's very fresh.

Dry: This is pretty much gone after 5 minutes :( Just a whisper of freshness left, but no notes are really obvious. Whatever it is smells gorgeous, I just wish I didn't have to snuffle at my wrist to get the scent. I'll keep it in the hope it'll get stronger as it ages.

This scent absolutely broke my heart. In a bad way. It was one of the ones I was looking forward to and MAN did it let me down. I tried it at least three times, and it was such a flop...

The first time, it ended up fresh and salty. Odd but not bad.... but way, way, way too mild for me. Not villainous at all- very saltwater & seaside. The next couple of times. Man. Sweet, very powdery, very feminine florals. Emphasis on powdery. Did I mention powdery? There was even a lotion scent in there- one of my most hated scent associations.This will sound terrible but it's... sissy. It's the word that came to mind right away when smelling it. I am swapping out both imps I have. I came looking for a companion to Vicomte de Valmont and I was very disappointed.... I'm still not over this, ugh.

I really hope this is better on someone else!