Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
septima_pica

I want to smell like dirt! Dirt, Earth, Soil recommendations

I got an imp of Malediction and if anyone knows LUSH,it smells just like Waylander soap!Was someone looking for Graveyard,I have a bottle w/about 3 to 3.5 imps worth to get rid of.

I'll chime in for Jazz funeral, deathcap and mandrake! I especially find mandrake and london together to be very like Zombi without the tang of dirt, only the depth of it.

I have a bit of dirt conudrum. I tried Queen of Clubs, and while I liked the earthiness, it seemed like the dirt was sort of dry and dusty. Kind of a turn off. Which of the dirt scents would you describe as being a more loamy, leaf-littered, wet dirt?

WET dirt, loamy leafy WET dirt? Anyone, a little help?

Burial smells very moist and earthy to me. That's the only one I can think of. Demeter has some dirt smells....well, one is actually called Dirt. See also Earthworm and Wet Garden (if you want to stretch and try something non-bpal, that is...).

The Death of the Gravedigger (from the Salon) has lots of fresh, wet soil smell when it's wet. I'm very interested to see what happens with it as it ages - I love resins and I'm hoping they will peek out more and balance with the dirt. :P

The Premature Burial was very wet and earthy, so much on me that the dirt note overwhelmed all the other notes... so I didn't keep it. But if you love dirt scents, it should be up your alley!

My favorite of the earth/soil BPAL blends is Ulalume - I love the lily and wood notes, and the dirt/earth note in this one smells just like wet soil and leaves to me.

probably been said but my fave 'dirt' smells are nocnista and i died for beauty. for the later, wait a bit and the grave loam will rise up and it'll be a really nice sweet dirt smell. mmm.

I really want a BPAL that has the lovely loamy smell that Zombie and Penny Dreadful start out with, without the soft florals they turn in to.

Basically I want dirt. No extras, but dirt..

Any ideas?

Edited by NatCatz

What about Death Cap? I haven't tried it, but I definitely want to. It gets really good reviews from the dirt-lovin camp.

I really want a BPAL that has the lovely loamy smell that Zombie and Penny Dreadful start out with, without the soft florals they turn in to.

Basically I want dirt. No extras, but dirt..

Any ideas?

Me too. I've looked high and low and have yet to find it in the BPAL repertoire, but Graveyard Dirt is the closest: mushrooms, moss, and dirt with no floral or sweet elements. The other scents that are supposed to contain a dirt note that I've tried are:

Burial - I can't remember if it was the pine element or the flowers that killed this one for me, but it wasn't good

Crossroads - this was all jasmine on me; I'd stay far away if you're trying to avoid florals

Death Cap - coconut baby powder

Deep in Earth - the rose geranium in this amped way up and turned into the same rosey ammonia I get from true rose blends

Destroying Angel - also very floral on me

Jazz Funeral - has that same moss/dirt note as Zombi and Penny Dreadful, plus a hit of bay rum aftershave

Nocnitsa - this was all bayberry candle on me, no dirt

Nosferatu - a fresh green scent with a spicy berry spike, it has the same dirt/moss note as Zombi, Penny Dreadful, and Jazz Funeral

Penny Dreadful - ginger cookies plus moss/dirt

The Premature Burial - this one smells the closest to Graveyard Dirt to me and is currently available from Dark Delicacies. It does have a light floral element, but it's mostly moss/dirt

Zombi - I amp rose, so this was super-strong ammonia-y roses on me

Demeter's "Dirt" is probably your best bet, but you might still want to give these others a shot.

Good luck!

Edited by Apple

I think Premature Burial is still available. That's primarily earth.

I also don't get a lot of florals from Worm Moon, but I think Premature Burial is stronger.

Jazz Funeral could be worth a try. It does have florals but it doesn't smell very floral to me, and the earthy note sticks around.

I love dirt! Particularly fresh, moist, earthy dirt. I need to get more scents featuring it.

So far I've tried:

Death Cap- My favorite earthy scent! It's all warm vanilla and fresh earth.

Nocnitsa- Another favorite! Smells like a walk in the forest. A leafy-berry-dirt smell.

Jazz Funeral- Boozy flowers give way to moist earth. Beautiful!

Burial- I liked it at first-- it was pine-y and earthy-- but then I started to amp the vetiver so much that I got a headache.

Worm Moon- I really love this. Potting soil with a hint of decaying wood and a tiny whiff of flowers.

Nosferatu- I didn't get earth from this. I got sweet, slightly rotting hay. It was a very powerful scent and reminded me very much of my grandparents' barn. I think I need a bottle of it just for that.

Malediction- It smelled like turpentine and vetiver. Gave me a migraine.

I would like to nominate The House. Its one of the retail only E.A. Poe scents. Its zombie with the soil at little bit damper and some wilting roses thrown in. But only if you don't amp roses!

I am also seconding Nocnitsa, its wonderfully earthy and so is Death Cap (more dusky) and Destroying Angel (smells like the dirt on mushrooms)

I just got a sniffy of Door 13 and it smells like dirt with rocks--but good luck getting that one. You should be able to score an imp of the House with some luck, though. :P

i'm a soil ho. i like ALL of the dirt recs here, but i must pump up the love for death of the gravedigger and the house (dark delicacies). not pure dirt, but not sweet, either, so maybe that helps a little? someone else mentioned depraved before...it really does smell like just plain ol' dirt being stirred up...but with that added fallen apricot. premature burial is probably the closest to a neutral dirt scent available thru BPAL, though i find it a litttttle too creamy...