Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
clover

Apples?? Finding the right apple scent

For those who like apple and florals together, try Tarot: The Lovers. It's an apple and rose blend. I wear it constantly in the late summer. It has amazing throw. It's the perfect perfume to wear while sitting on a blanket with your significant other and sharing the first apples of the season.

While I am writing this a bit off the proper season, perhaps those in warmer climates could use a little indulgence or the rest of us could just pretend it's picnic weather. :P

My original imp of Les Bijoux has a beautifully fresh apple smell to it. I've since ordered a bottle, and the fresh apple isn't quite as strong in the 5ml. Either way, it's a lovely scent.

Ladon and Creepy - both very apple-y.

I haven't found any GC blends that really strike me with an apple scent. I will back up Creepy though, which has a beautiful apple linger on the dry down. I ordered Punkie Night as well with the hopes of smelling apple in the blend.

Wow, that was fast- thanks for all the replies!!! :D

And if Mock Turtle's Lesson is apple, mint, and lime, mmmmmmm, I'm totally there. That sounds like this wonderful Grassroots hair conditioner I have. :P

Ladon is my favorite BPAL apple scent. Verdandi is nice too, but doesn't quite have the same fresh bite that Ladon does. Punkie Night is the other one I really like but it has that smidge of cranapple cider going on - and good thing it's just a smidge because I'm not fond of cider scents except if it's a big pot of cider with mulling spices staying warm on the stove that I can spike with little rum if I feel so inclined.

tarotbydiana wrote:

For those who like apple and florals together, try Tarot: The Lovers. It's an apple and rose blend. I wear it constantly in the late summer. It has amazing throw. It's the perfect perfume to wear while sitting on a blanket with your significant other and sharing the first apples of the season.

I no doubt crossed that line from romantic to cynic long ago, but it still cracks me up something fierce to imagine actually partaking in this scenario - then I've always been pretty dubious about dining alfresco upon blankets ever since I first questioned why the men get to keep their clothes on and the women look like they'd rather be somewhere else. :P That said, I've not tried Tarot: The Lovers but I'm going to go make sure that it's on my wishlist because a blend with apple and rose sounds like a gorgeous scent!

edit to fix link

Edited by moonarcana

Ladon is my favorite BPAL apple scent. Verdandi is nice too, but doesn't quite have the same fresh bite that Ladon does. Punkie Night is the other one I really like but it has that smidge of cranapple cider going on - and good thing it's just a smidge because I'm not fond of cider scents except if it's a big pot of cider with mulling spices staying warm on the stove that I can spike with little rum if I feel so inclined.

tarotbydiana wrote:

I no doubt crossed that line from romantic to cynic long ago, but it still cracks me up something fierce to imagine actually partaking in this scenario - then I've always been pretty dubious about dining alfresco upon blankets ever since I first questioned why the men get to keep their clothes on and the women look like they'd rather be somewhere else. :P That said, I've not tried Tarot: The Lovers but I'm going to go make sure that it's on my wishlist because a blend with apple and rose sounds like a gorgeous scent!

edit to fix link

This link is hilariously and unintentionally appropriate. My boyfriend works at Grounds for Sculpture in NJ, where this painting has been reinterpreted as a sculptural piece...with the all the figures sculpted life size. Though he didn't work on that particular piece (it was completed long before he started at the atelier) we did discuss it while we were sitting on a blanket eating apples and I was wearing the Tarot: The Lovers! Apparently Manet decided to put a woman in a traditional Grecian pose and classically nude in what was a modern setting at the time it was painted. It caused quite a stir even in Manet's time. Reinterpreting from a feminist's perspective, the woman seems ridiculously out of place and disconnected from the scene...and who wouldn't be?

Bringing this back to the theme of the thread, I think the Tarot scents tend to be overlooked. I find The Lovers works well both as perfume and metaphysically. The apple is quite prominent and lovely in balance with the rose. Punkie Night worked nicely with my chemistry without being too foodie. I wore it constantly this October. It reminds me of baked apples like the filling of an apple pie without the buttery crust.

The Hesperides is apple-tastic on me - my OH said it was like apple Jolly Ranchers and I think he hit it right on the head there. It's bursting with sugary apple goodness. :P

I concur that Forbidden Fruit is not at all apple-y. It's more orangey and lotusy. I do like it, but it's utterly apple-free.

I haven't found a really appley scent yet, sorry! Brisingamen is kind of appley on me, but it's apple blossom, and the amber dominates it anyway.

Harvest Moon 06 is very apple oriented,very sweet,and musky,like a butchel of apples sitting atop a hay stack,laying beside a flannel shirt.Weird description,but that's what it smells like.I also second verdandi,I love it.It's very light and airy,crisp and refreshing,not astringent or medicinal at all.From what I haven't tried ,your best bets for apple look like,the hesperides.I myself would love to find more apple blends,I love it,and can't get enough of it.

Ladon is my favorite BPAL scent, period (thus far -- always more to try!) and the appleiness is part of what makes me adore it. (I have a great apple weakness.)

Two others where I pick up apple (though not exclusively, just as a combined note:)

The Voodoo oil Block Buster goes cinnamon and apple cider on many people, though more cinnamon than apple cider.

On the current YULE LEs, Knecht Ruprecht has a sneaking hint of apple too, which is part of what makes it lovely.

I am recommending Ladon, too - it is wonderfully apple-ish on me. That is my favorite scent out of the 30 or so I have tried so far, by a long shot, and the first one that I ordered a bottle of!

The Hesperides also has a strong apple note at first, but on me it turns more oaky after a while.

Eris smells quite like sweet apple on me, but there are some florals that overlayer it, so it isn't as strong as I'd like it to be. After an hour or so, the apple has faded into the background...

Creepy and Punkie Night were very apple on me. The Hesperides is apple as well, but it has a big shot of birch/wintergreen in it which is fresh and cold (like apples in the snow). If you can get your hands on the first two I mentioned, you won't be sorry.

Ladon and Punkie Night. *nod* Ladon is a beautiful golden apple backed up with sweet spring florals on me. Punkie Night, on the other hand, smelled -exactly- like freshly crushed apple--pulp, juice, skin and all. With a tiiiiiny smidge of cider-spice at the very bottom.

I am amused because Snowy got her Ladon from me - since, gorgeous as it is (thanks jj_j!) apples go rotten-apple on me. By that scent do I know the Hesperides and Ladon, both of which have found loving homes elsewhere -and which I heartily recommend, if you can wear apple and I, alas, can't.

Hello everyone :P

I'm back to BPAL after a long absence and I've learned that I absolutely love things with apple notes to them. I got a sample from Woobie that was apple through and through and I used the sample in a week; I couldn't get enough of it.

So, now I'm wondering about BPAL stuff. What's got really great apple notes in it? I'm looking more for real apple, as opposed to candy apple or sugar apple. Stuff that smells like it's straight out of the orchard.

Does BPAL have anything like that?

The Hesperides are the first ones that come to mind, followed by Verdandi. You might also look into blends with apple blossom as a note. G'luck!

Thanks Cordia. :D

Verdandi is a favourite of mine (I have a big bottle of it!), I can't believe I forgot it has apple in it. The order I placed today also has The Hesperides in it, so apparently I'm finding the right ones.

Thanks again!! :P

Les Bijoux! It is surprisingly strong in the apple department on me.

As for LEs, Harvest Moon '06 is my very favorite blend with apple in it. I don't like the caramel/cider aspects of apple but I love the crisp/fresh kind. Punkie Night was another good one.