Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Thaleia

Budding Moon

Budding Moon shines as Spring moves with its first breath, and this scent expresses that burst of life-affirming joy through an olfactory interpretation of Huang Quan’s flower-and-bird paintings. Plum blossom, peony, lotus root, Chinese musk and a hint of white ginger.

Florals often really just don't work on me. Budding Moon is one of the few that does - it's very delicate, sweet, and clear. I can't pick out individual notes, but the combination is pure love, very much reminiscent of fragile new buds in shades of white and pale pink and purple, the first signs of spring emerging at the end of winter. Edited by Shollin

In the vial: Lovely subtle flowers.

On me, wet: Sweet, mild flowers. Subtle and beautiful.

On me, dry: I'm getting a mild sweet apple among the blossoms once this dries. A very pretty scent: soft, sweet, fresh, and innocent. Then it disappears. Goodbye pretty apples!

Verdict: Really a beautiful scent, but short-lived and possibly too girly for me.

bottle:

green floral

wet:

not very strong, nice floral, a little musky

dry:

really nice - understated (hard to smell right now I have 3 others oils on too!!) but I think I really like it!

overall:

I really like it but need to try it alone soon!

rating: 8/10

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous.

Fruity, and the florals aren't overwhelming, which would be a killer for me. The ginger gives it some grounding, and the musk is just enough in the background.

Oh, I will love wearing this.

Bottle: plum and lotus root, very sweet.

Wet: getting sweeter - whoa. No hint yet of the ginger, musk, or peony.

Dry: peony blooms behind the plum blossom, and that choking sweetness has dimmed. I get a bit of the ginger, and little of the musk.

Later: no more of the ginger, a bit of the musk, still mostly plum blossom. very light, little throw. interesting - uncertain how this will wear on me, may need a second try.

Budding Moon is a very light, very sweet floral. On me it's all peony and sweet plum, with a tiiiny bit of musk backing it up. I'm sad that the ginger never comes out to play - something crisp and spicy is just what this scent needs to balance it.

It's a nice scent for spring, but not an instant-love for me. On someone who doesn't suck up the ginger, I suspect it would be gorgeous.

I prefer Peony Moon, which is in a similar vein, but slightly less sweet to my nose.

Yummy yummy peony and plum blossom. I only get a very little bit of ginger and musk. This is sweet but only a floral sweet, not food sweet. I've loved all of the Lunacies I've tried so far and Budding Moon is no exception. This is so very light and refreshing. Another love!!

Budding Moon - The first time I sniffed and tried Budding Moon, in my enthusiasm, I proclaimed it to be my favorite BPAL scent of all time. I have since recanted that claim. While it is positively gorgeous, and among my favorite Lunacies, it isn’t my favorite BPAL. But it is a nice one! The scent is initially sharply fruit-sweet with a soft, pink floral background, but after about 20 minutes on my skin, the sharpness of the fruit fades. At this point, a scent that must be the lovely soft peony blended with white musk and the tiniest hint of dry lotus root becomes the scent I experience for the next couple of hours until it fades. As with almost all of the Lunacies, this blend doesn’t last on my skin for very long, but it’s so pretty that it’s worth applying. When I wear it in a scent locket, the fruit note doesn’t fade, and serves to enhance the musk/peony/lotus blend just beautifully. It’s a bright and fresh scent that I think will be absolutely irresistible when spring bursts forth in a few weeks.

In the bottle: Veeeeeeeeeeeeery white. It made me go WHOO! I think that's the blossom and...musk? I dunno. Makes me think white. White as the fluffy seal that sits on top of my computer monitor. :P

Wet: I put it on my bruise. :3 I'm going to sniff my bruise now! ::.sniffsniff.:: Hm...strangely kinda sweet...? But kinda floraly! ...I...I think I may like this! :D! OMG! I dunno though....It may need to convince meeeee! :D

Dry: You...are...kinda sweet...kinda...floraly..kinda spice...y...? OH MY GOODNESS YOU CONFUSE MY POOR HELPLESS LITTLE BRAIN!!!!! STOOOOOOOP! So crazy! So..so crazy!

...but this craziness is making me like it. Though in small doses. Hai 2 u! I keep u! :D

This is a gorgeous scent that smells "green" rather than floral on me, which is a relief, because there are very, very few floral scents that I've tried and liked, mostly the lighter ones. It's a light scent, one that seems perfect for spring, and I've been wearing it more often now that the weather is warm. If you like light florals, this is perfect. It's sweet without being cloying or heavy, and there's just something about it that brings to mind the budding blossoms that the name implies.

Really sums up spring for me. It's light, and to me it's more green than floral but the floral is there. It's fairly girly but then...spring and young girls seem to go hand in hand. Not completely me but I do like the scent. I only have a half imp anyway so I'll be sure to save it for special occasions!

Perfect example of spring!

This is a sweet spring floral blend. It's very bright and attention getting. If I'm in the right mood this is heavenly, the blossoms are rich and plentiful.

My birthmonth moon.....so I had to have it!

I love musk and ginger, so I thought I would like this one......and I do!

It's very fresh, soft floral.....very springtime and the musk grounds it perfectly.

I'm glad I like this so much....although I would've kept it if I didn't......because well.....birthmonth and I'm dorky like that :P

First sniff: It feels like Budding Moon should smell more like flowers, but this is all fruit. Early-season green fruit just barely beginning to swell. It’s cool and refreshing and really gorgeous.

Wearing: Budding Moon = love. Soft plum and greenness and spring breezes. It’s phenomenally beautiful.

I smell the plum blossom, peony, and lotus root, but where's my musk! And my ginger, for that matter. Well, no matter. My skin has consumed it.

In bottle: Fresh linen sheets and a light musk.

On skin, wet: Snuggle fabric softener.

On skin, dry: ? My skin seems to have eaten it.

Conclusion: I really don't like smelling like laundry :/

Rating: 0/5

first sniff - way more fruity than floral, which i was rather stoked about. (i'm not huge on flowery stuff)

on me - boo. turned VERY floral on me. not a hint of plum. not a wisp of ginger. not a dollop of musk. pure flowers. nice flowers, but flowers nonetheless.

off to the swap pile for this one. :P

Wow, this one is quite lovely. It smells like light juicy wet fruit. I wish I had more than an almost empty sniffie...need to find an imp

In the bottle - Warm, wet, gentle floral with a touch of green.

Wet on skin - Warm still and with wet green riding higher than the floral for now ...

Dry on skin - Still a warm floral base but much sharper and greener. Liking this one so far.

Later - It's a musky sweet floral now, the green has mostly gone again. I like it but it's not a must have for me.

I don't even like florals, so why do I LOVE Budding Moon so much? It smells to me like cool, fresh night air with a hint of sweetness. It's what I hoped Snow White would smell like, for some reason. Without a doubt, my favorite BPAL floral.

Not at all a bad introduction to my first Lunacy.

In the bottle: an interesting, not as cloying as you'd think combination of fruits and flowers. Can't make a single damn distinction between any of them though, but I blame that on my unschooled nose.

On the skin: this is very pretty! The fruitiness dies down in favor of the floral, sweet but not eye-watering sweet.

Drydown: same as above, the fruits continue to fade, leaving mostly flowers. A nice, cheerful scent. I wish I could be more specific about what I smell, but suffice to say it's quite pleasant.

In the bottle: Deep plum and peony.

Wet: Plum and peony mixing together, very aquatic.

Drydown: It sweetens, it's nearly candy-like - I suspect the lotus root for that. I get a slight acid bite from the ginger. The peony fades away to leave a majority of plum juice, it's warm and sensual. It has some tartness from plum, but at the same time it's obviously a floral. I get a return of lotus-like scents, but it's not really unpleasant.

Overall: A fruity floral, very pretty, very pink-purple. It is a bit too candyish for me, and I'm surprised to smell so much fruit in what's supposed to be a pure floral, but I suspect it comes from the lotus root, that also smelled fruity in Strawberry Moon. Classically, the Chinese musk disturbs me with its slightly gritty texture. It's a pleasant, pretty blend, but not one that I really regret passing on when it came out, either.

In bottle: Very faint. I mostly get ginger and lotus. Musk and peony not there at all.

On me: Lotus and tea. Not my favorite. I think I'll wait until it dries fully and sniff again. (Later) The longer this is on, the more the lotus comes out, but now it's floral tea instead of tea and a flower. Not a vast improvement, so alas it's the swap pile for you.

Budding Moon-

In Bottle: Ooh, lovely. Berry and something light and almost minty.

Wet: A floral bloom in the middle of the berry.

Dry: A lovely sweet berry-floral scent. Extremely nice and non-cloying.

Overall: I like.