Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Thaleia

Budding Moon

Budding Moon shines as Spring moves with its first breath, and this scent expresses that burst of life-affirming joy through an olfactory interpretation of Huang Quan’s flower-and-bird paintings. Plum blossom, peony, lotus root, Chinese musk and a hint of white ginger.

I love Budding Moon. When I first apply, the plum springs out, followed by the Chinese musk. My skin loves both of these notes, so I'm very fortunate. To me, Budding Moon is a pale lavender scent, and makes me think of stillness, of the moment between the fury of winter and the mad growth of spring. And it lasts on me, even through multiple hours of wearing latex gloves. I am so very glad I got this. :P

Edited for the description. Edited by Shollin

It's amazing to be wearing Budding Moon on Budding Moon :P

Budding Moon is utterly gorgeous on me. It's a very sweet, juicy kind of floral. The plum blossom is gorgeous, and the lotus root is sweet, but not the bubblegummy sweetness of lotus flower. The Chinese musk and white ginger come out as it dries down, and it seems my skin loves both notes! This is a really lovely spring scent - the scent of flowers just beginning to uncurl. Absolutely adore this one, it's so fresh and pretty.

I wanted to review this one very seriously, but it is impossible. On my skin this is a weaker Titania with orris. It is GORGEOUS (as is Titania). I really shouldn't keep it because Titania is the exact same but with a longer stay and stronger throw. But I love it so due to the orris.

Mine!!

Hey, how cool is this, guys? It is Budding Moon and here I am wearing Budding Moon! Thanks, speedy lab! :P

Sooo pretty! First off, it is very reminiscent of Dirty, as so many have mentioned. It has the same clean, aquatic, juiciness. It is a little softer, sweeter and more floral though. And as it dries down that beautiful Chinese musk comes through and makes it mysterious and sexy.

Both wet and in the drydown, Budding Moon perfectly embodies that pale, pretty green that was used on the t-shirt. On my skin, it's hard to pick out individual notes - probably because a lot of these notes are ones I'm not so familiar with - but overall it's a very fresh and bright scent. Green but not herbal, juicy without being fruity.

Gorgeous, perfect for a "when will spring get here?" pick-me-up.

Clear, sweet, fresh, green. New-cut grass, dew-covered clover with a pale fruit tinge. Youth and springtime. Vibrant.

It has quite a bit of strength – throw and duration both good.

ADDED April 27:

Budding Moon is absolutely not the type of thing I wear often, in fact I already sold off my bottle and just kept about 1.5mls worth in a travel bottle.

But it's just perfect for this sunny day! I woke up craving something springy and floral, and this totally fit the bill. It's got a lovely soft clear sweetness to it, and is quite refreshing. Just makes me want to sing nonsense songs and make daisy chains in the grass. I can't pick out any notes - I'm not so good with identifying florals. It's got a nice throw, and has lasted quite a long time today. Very pretty for just the right type of day. I don't regret selling the bottle, though, because I won't be in the mood for it all that often! :P

Oh! So beautiful Budding Moon! First applied, I got plum in a big in a way! I love plum and plum loves me - my skin really amps it - yum!

In a few minutes, peony peeks it's head out to blend beautifully with the plum!

After about 5 minutes I start getting a hint of ginger and what seems like

sandalwood! I think to myself , what the hec?, this doesn't have sandalwood?

Maybe it is the combinations lotus root and the white musk that give it that sandalwoody feeling.

I put this on yesterday early evening and it is now 10:25 am the next morning. This smells just like it did after it finished morphing yesterday! Beautiful plum with a lovely white musk - wood background.

I would have to say, this has the longest staying power of anything I have worn before! After about 29hrs, this still smells as good as when I first applied it and still has a pretty descent throw! It is a beautiful blend and I am so glad I got it!

Wet: Softly sweet with plum and a hint of spicy ginger.

Dry: Sweet...nice floral...uh-oh. It went sour the same way Titania and Zorya did for me. They both started out nice and floral before going off. I think it may be the musky qualities.

Final: I really wanted to love this one since it's my birthday moon and was hugely saddened when it turned on me.

Origin:

Imp from my Imp Pimp, Diana. :P

Preconceived notions:

I really don't see myself liking this. It's got nothing but things that generally go all wrong on me, but I'm going to try it anyway.

First sniff:

Bubblegum and flowers! That would be the lotus root mixing with the...flowers. I really, really don't care for this. :D

Wet on skin:

Sweet flowers and a touch of ginger and musk. This is just too girly and floral for me, unfortunately.

Dry down:

Pretty much the same as the wet stage. I knew this wouldn't be for me, but it's even less for me than I'd anticipated. :D

The bottom line:

Too floral for me, alas. This will be finding a new home.

Edited by Penance

Budding Moon is a juicy mix of plum and peony on me, with some musk for staying power, and a tiny grounding hint of lotus root. The plum really shines for the first hour or so, and then it fades a bit and lets the peony out more. The two work so well together, and it's something I never would have thought of, for sure.

I LOVE it, it's delicious, and wish I had more than an imp! Will be wearing this when I see the first flowers and tree leaves start to bud and blossom.

This is really pretty. The plum blossom seems to be most prominent. And wet & dry both seem to be similar, very little morphing.

I would definitely be happy to get some more of this. A mere imp probably won't be enough.

In the bottle- oooh, I knew I smelled plum in there. This is very promising.

On me- a gorgeous, robust, acquatic floral. I get a definite strong plum note, mixed with flowers. I didn't know at first what it was that was grounding the scent- now I suspect it must be the ginger.

This is a beautiful, springtime, blossomy scent. It smells mostly of plum and flowers on me, which is great. It bears some distinct similarities to Flower Moon on me- a similar lotus, I think- but with a bit more fruit.

I was a little nervous about trying this one because of the lotus root, but after reading so many nice reviews I thought I had to try it...

When I first put it on I could smell the plum blosson and a sweetness from the lotus, but it wasn't the typical super sweet lotus that I usually want to run from.

It has decent throw for longer than average (on me), and over time grew on me I think. I think this will be nice for when the weather gets a little warmer.

Ths doesn't sound like a glowing review, but Budding Moon is nice, and may be the only scent with lotus that I don't want to scrub off...

I didn't order this initially, because lotus has always gone bad on my skin and I don't do fruity, which I thought it might be because of the plum blossom. But last weekend I realized I'd been a fool for not ordering the February LEs, and I managed to snag a bottle of this from a lovely forumite.

It's beautiful. Very light and faint -- although I just took a bath with a rather heavily scented Lush bath bomb, so my nose is a bit overwhelmed by that at the moment -- but incredibly delicate and beautiful. It's a damp floral to my nose, but not a warm, humid damp -- more of a cool early spring rain. It did go slightly sweet and a bit fruity, but just lightly so, not at all overpowering. I think this will be a perfect early spring scent for me.

I'm finally wearing this today because it is 50 degrees out and I can almost believe it may be spring before too long... (watch, a huge snow storm will probably arrive tomorrow!).

I can definitely understand comparing Budding Moon with Titania--cool, crisp floral-fruity. That's plum, not pear, though, and it does make a difference on me. I wish the peony were more distinct; I looooooove peony and the only scent in which I can smell it strongly is Dormouse. There is a nice floral background to the plum, but I wouldn't have guessed which floral.

This is a good early-spring scent, just as you would expect. It's delicate but bright, like the first flowers popping up in the sun. :P

Not being a lover of floral blends, I did not have high hopes for Budding Moon, until I read the description.

Being a great lover of Ms. Beth's plum blends, I had great hopes that I would at the very least like this, if not love it...and oh how I adore it.

On me, Budding Moon is a sweet fruity plum wine with a wash of spicy greenery. This is such a wonderful scent for deep winter to remind me that spring is in fact on its way.

At first I was scared that this one would be too floral on me. Be and heavy florals just don't mix well. But I bought it any way and tested it. It turned sweet on my and slighlt fruity. I was so happy. :P

I'm so sad that I only bought one bottle of this, even though I don't usually buy the Lunacy blends. I sniffed this by accident at will-call, and now I'm hooked. This is similar in some ways to High John The Conqueror to me, although this is stronger and has a pretty, more floral feel to it. It lasts a little longer, too, and overall is a fresh, clean, and juicy scent - exactly what I've been looking for!

In the bottle: Sweet plums!

On the skin: I get the plum note coming out initially, followed by what I presume is the peony. These are notes that are new to me and my chemistry, and I'm pleased that they work well.

Drying down: It remains very sweet, but not cloyingly so. There's a hint of sweet musk underneath it all as well.

Verdict: A winner. I wish I had more than an imp of this now. I'm hoping that Peony Moon may end up being similar on me.

In the bottle: This is very light and sweet. There's nothing offensive about this and it's a very pretty, perfumey scent. I really like this one.

On my skin: Again, light and sweet. The plum blossom and ginger smell wonderful together. It's a faint scent though, with very little throw and it fades quickly. This is a scent locket type of scent. But wow, I really, really like this. It's not like anything else I have and it's so not me, but I want to wear this. I want to wear this a lot.

This smells...pink. Sweet, but a little sharpish,very 'girly'. Really not my thing.

:P This scent is awesome! The total embodiment of what I expected an oriental floral should be. Light and airy, like walking through a Japanese garden. Love this one.

I got this as a decant..and I really wanted to love it.

In the bottle: SO pretty! It's light and beautiful, and I just love it.

My nose isn't really sure of what the blends in here are - but wow...so so pretty!

Wet on the skin: Uh oh...this isn't like the bottle at all...This smells soapy on me, it smells...sicky sweet....Something just reacted badly right away, and it's making me feel ill.

Dry Down: *sighs* Budding Moon, you and I were just not meant to be.. :D It smells like laundry detergent on me, and it's not getting any better as time goes on. This one is pretty heartbreaking - I'm having bad luck with imps lately!

:P

In the imp: plummy florals and ginger.

On me, wet: very faint, crisp white floral. Man, this is really really faint - there's something sharp and bitey, and some florals, but I really can't smell anything more.

On me, dry: sweet, almost sugary pink florals. This is about as sweet as I can tolerate, but it's a fruity sweetness - it feels like a fainter, sweet cousin to Fruit Moon, in fact. There's just a hint of musk behind it, too.

Verdict: it's not going to become my most-loved Lunacy, but this is certainly the kind of subtle, light scent I could see myself wearing in spring. Not overly striking, but pretty in a gentle way.

In bottle: Sweet and sparkling and bright. It is plum and dusty roots. The sharpness of white ginger is greatly mellowed, but present.

On me: Gem-like. Plum and peony are so beautiful together. It is very similar to Peony Moon, except that it is missing the bark undertones. It is crisp but still watery - and I love it. *****