Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

What a great freakin’ word. BPAL LOVES TEH SMUT! Three swarthy, smutty musks sweetened with sugar and woozy with dark booze notes.

This review is for the 06 version.

I don't know why, but for some reason I was always too afraid to try this Smut. I was simply scared that it would be too strong or O-like for me. Boy was I wrong. I can't believe I've missed out on such a fabulous blend for so long. I seriously became weak in the knees when I put this on, it was that good. :P The first thing that came to mind is that it reminds me of a softer, flirtier version of LUSH Karma perfume. I love Karma, but sometimes it's got too much of a sharp bite for me. Smut, on the other hand is like the flirty little sister. Love it!

eta to add vintage year. Edited by lushlovely

Smut '07

In the bottle: candy

Wet/Drydown: Yummy… musky! There are definitely boozy notes, but I can’t specify what kind of booze. The musks are sweet. This blend almost smells foody, like cocoa or something. This is turning into a nicely sugared musk.

Dry: Dries to be very heady and intoxicating. Very sexy. Woozy is a good word to describe it. Woo! This is NOT a daytime scent. Tons of throw as well. I’m in a boozy, musky haze.

In the Imp: Flinstones Vitamins! Like the ones I used to eat when I was a little kid. It's a sweetish citrus tinge with an overall vitamin C smell. *shrug*

Wet: More of the same.

Drydown: Florals and musk blend with the vitamin smell. How weird that I'm not getting the same impression as everyone else. From the description this sounded like something I would have to have. Even when the other scents blend and cover it for the most part all I can really focus on is the vitamin smell. Too bad!

in the imp: sharply sweet, very musky… this reminds me a bit of Scherezade.

wet: hello musk! The topnote that I'm catching is a sweet, nearly cloying musk. Very exotic and just edging along that line between sensual and sexual. Somehow less sweet than I'd imagined it… definitely leaning more toward swarthy and smutty. The throw on this baby is amazing.

dry: something about my skin chemistry is turning this blend slightly salty/sour. I think Smut might share a musk note with Cordelia, which went completely rancid on me. This isn't working for me at all :P And I was so looking forward to this one! Ah well. *goes off to scrub arm*

In the bottle:

Definitely belongs to the Snake Oil family, but muskier and darker.

Wet:

I swear that this is chocolate Snake Oil. Hard to say where I'm getting that impression, though, because I can definitely pick out musks, sugar and the dark booze... I think that the sugar and dark booze are giving the "chocolate."

Dry down:

Dark and flirty. Sugary musks - noticeably more than 1 musk. The booze note is not particularly boozy. It's the scent of sweet, dark liquors. Or port, or something. It isn't a whiskey/vodka or anything like that.

Final thoughts:

I like it a little better in concept than I do actually on the skin. I'll probably hang on to it for awhile, though.

Smut '07

In the bottle, this is musky and sugary. The sugary smell is predominant, with the musk as an almost burnt background note.

The oil is a very dark brown so I had to rub it in more than other oils. The initial scent was pure candy though the musk kicks in pretty quickly afterwards. I remark to my boyfriend "I smell like slutty candy!" He laughs at me and agrees. This is a very yummy scent. It feels very happy but adult happy - the initial electric pull of attraction.

Smut also lasts a long time! I applied it more than 12 hours ago, and I'm still getting whiffs from my cleavage. Yum...

Verdict: Love it. Happy and sexy as hell. I think I'm going to need a full bottle before the Lupercalias leave.

Ooooer. I must prelude this by saying I have dreamed about Smut no less than three times between when I ordered a half imp from a decant circle, and when I received it today.

On me, this is Loviatar (which is in my top five, sometimes topping the list), all wound up with spun sugar. As it dries, it gets less leathery and more warm musky, and I just want to wear this allll the time. It is, indeed, smutty.

Bottle of this, before it goes down, no question. :P :D

smut 07:

this smells much more boozy and less musky to me than the smut from last year. at first i get some weird note that seems to turn on me, but once this dries it is HEAVENLY. i think i even like it better than last years' smut. though it is very very similar. definitely getting a bottle of this :P

I still say this is the most calming, sexy scent in the bunch.

Sugary and yes, a little boozy, but more like a softer liquor than a sharper one.

When mixed with Shub, it smells like a sugary version of African Cush

In the imp: Ohh, yummy. Sweet with an edge of booziness. It's really not what I expected Smut to smell like. I mainly get sweetness with only a hint of musk in the vial. Mmm.

Wet: Ahh...now I seem to get more musk. And the yummy sweetness has all but gone away, darn!

Drydown: Definitely nowhere near the sweetness I got in the vial. Which I'm a little sad at, because I do so love sweet scents. There's something I can't quite put my finger on that's smelling a little 'off'. It has an edge to it that really doesn't work too well on me.

Hours later: It's faded to leave a faint, slightly powdery musky scent lingering on my skin. Which is actually quite pleasant as the 'off' note seems to have vanished, and there's a slight sweetness to it once more.

Strangely, sniffing the imp again gives me guite a strong boozy note with only an edge of sweetness to it...which is quite different from when I first sniffed it. :P Overall, not really a scent for me. But then again, that's probably just as well as I added the imp to my decant circle order at my sister's request, and I don't think she would've taken too kindly to it if I'd fallen in love and hence made off with her decant. :D

(This is the 2006 version.)

On application, smells like cola, perhaps from the sugar notes. The musks come out to play before long, though. They're a bit strong at first even for a musk lover like me, but they soon meld together and mellow. I get a definite vanilla note in there somewhere, and it's perfect - my signature scent used to be a combination of light musk and vanilla. Moderate throw and duration. I like this.

I just discovered 2006 Smut in early 2007, so I was thrilled that it made a comeback!

This review is for the 2007 version, though I find them fairly similar.

in the bottle: Sweet, smoky red musk.

on: Very much the same: sweet dark musk. An exceptionally seductive scent.

Throw and staying power are strong, and this one can be overwhelming if overdone.

Awesome for layering.

Argh! I wish I hadn't read the reviews that mentioned peanut butter!!!

I LOVE Smut! I got an original bottle (2005? I think?) from ebay and was in immediate lust! So I just ordered a 2007 bottle...hoping it is close to the same...

I didn't smell peanut butter before the other reviews, but now....must turn off mental association!!! I love the musk/sweetness. And thankfully the peanut butter issue doesn't stick around too long.

Woozy.....yes.....and throw?....oh HEAVENS yes....more throw than anything else I've tried. AND it lasts and lasts. (I went to bed the other night, pulled up the covers and THERE WAS SMUT!!! It had gotten on the bedsheets and was lying in wait for me... :D ) This scent is a musk lover's dream come true!

*edit** Wore some to work and a co-worker asked what I was wearing and said I smelled like spicy incense! ....so the throw, I'd say, is very good.

Edit for 2007 review......Definitly age this one! The new bottle is very much more sharp and peanut buttery than the old bottle I got on ebay! I can see how aging this changes it. I'll definitly be hoarding the new bottle until it is worthy and using my old bottle for scenting.

ADDED March 17:

I still say this is the most calming, sexy scent in the bunch.

Sugary and yes, a little boozy, but more like a softer liquor than a sharper one.

When mixed with Shub, it smells like a sugary version of African Cush

Just ordered big bottles of Shub and Smut 2007....so will have to try that!

ADDED March 18:

I almost paid a large sum for a bottle of Smut on eBay last year because of so many rave reviews. I held off, but got some of the 2007 release. I'm so glad I didn't overpay, because sadly, Smut is not for me. I love the musks, truly, and wish I could wear it, but the woozy boozy waft make me really uncomfortable, almost ill. Very strange - I'm by no means a teetotaler. I've had very few bad, visceral reactions to Beth's oils, but this is one of the few. I wanted to LOVE TEH SMUT! :P

Let it set for awhile and who knows....this is a scent made to age well......

This is one of the strongest oils I've tried, which is wonderful in this case! Just a drop and I'm surrounded by a boozy haze that makes me think of hours spent in the pub with my best girlfriend watching beautiful men play Irish music.

With those mental associations, this was bound to be one of my favorites, but I was surprised that my mom loves it too. She says it reminds her of our favorite clothing shops (hippie-ish, of course. There's no way "Smut" would smell like an upscale boutique. :D )

Well, my co-worker thought it smelt like the incense used in a hippy/new agey store....so I can see how your mom would think that....but I'm with YOU.....this is sexy, boozy, night on the town stuff!!!

Edited by Bulletslc

This is one of the strongest oils I've tried, which is wonderful in this case! Just a drop and I'm surrounded by a boozy haze that makes me think of hours spent in the pub with my best girlfriend watching beautiful men play Irish music.

With those mental associations, this was bound to be one of my favorites, but I was surprised that my mom loves it too. She says it reminds her of our favorite clothing shops (hippie-ish, of course. There's no way "Smut" would smell like an upscale boutique. :P )

SMUT 2007

In Bottle: Sweet and resinous

On Skin: Again, this smells almost identical to last years formulation. I LOVE Smut. I have 3 bottles of it. I wear it all the time, and I love telling people I’m wearing “Smut”, I mean how fun is that? I get a bit of patchouli just like I did in last years, it’s the only part of the scent I don’t like. The overall feel of the scent is dark bllod red, seductive and very naughty. I love how deep it is and how it just envelops you in musk. If you like musky scents, Smut needs to be on your must-try list. Strong throw and average wearlength.

I FINALLY tried my decant. Seems I'm a tad slow :P

Holy cats! I lurrrve it!

I smelled some non-descript candy in the bottle, and was afraid. Very afraid.

On my skin, sugar.. then MUSK. Oh its very yummy, and warming up the sugar and musk really do go well together.

I am thankful I cannot smell booze in this, or it would be ruined.

Good thing I found out how much I like before it came down!

(off to place an order)

Smut 07

In the imp: almost a single note of red musk. Very similar to last year's.

Wet on skin: now I smell cognac! Lots of dark cognac mingling with red and Siberian musks, and some vanilla too.

Dry on skin: this is very much like last year's, right down to the almost patchouli like dark and dirty-earthy scent which pervades the fragrance, the cognac, the sugar, and the musks. For now though, I'm not getting as much of the condom rubber scent that I got last year, but I do get slight hints of it (it's still 'safe smut', better than no smut at all…), but the scent is still as goddamn sexy as ever.

After a while: the rubbery scent does seem to weave in and out of the scent-at times it's strong, but right now the boozy notes are incredibly strong. I think this may be boozier than last year's, it still smells similar, but it seems the cognac is almost drowning out the musk. and it seems to stay boozier for longer, the musks still subdued by the strong cognac scent. I wanted the sugary vanilla and musks to come out like they did in last year's to create that Snake Oily drydown I really enjoyed. The drydown is sexy red-toned musk, but still soaked in dark dirty liquor. It's not as Snake Oil like as last year's was after a long wear time, this Smut seems to stay pretty consistent, smelling of booze and musk and a little rubber…or even kinky PVC!

Verdict: this is very similar to last year's musk-o-rama, but I think there's even more booze in this one. It starts off smelling like Smut 06, a faintly rubbery boozy musk, red musk being the most obvious note along with cognac, but there's also some Siberian musk in here too, I think. In last year's, the drydown was a wonderful 'hardcore Snake Oil' scent, like the vanilla-patchouli-musk of SO but with more musk to it. This one still keeps it's boozy scent right until it fades completely. And it retains it's rubbery scent, which makes me a little uncomfortable. I do like Smut a great deal, especially the 06 version, but because it does seem such an intense and powerful 'no-holds-barred drunken fuck!' scent, it's not a scent I wear every day. And that oddly rubbery scent it has is very fitting, I must say, but a little too fitting if you get my drift…and at other times the booze notes are too strong. But when I do feel the need to slap on the Smutty stuff, I think my bottle of the 06 version will suffice.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? I have a bottle of 06, which has more musk than booze, I think one bottle is enough…it's such an intense and X-rated scent!

If you like this, try: Sed Non Satiata, Snake Oil, Mme Moriarty, Lust, Scherezade

I almost paid a large sum for a bottle of Smut on eBay last year because of so many rave reviews. I held off, but got some of the 2007 release. I'm so glad I didn't overpay, because sadly, Smut is not for me. I love the musks, truly, and wish I could wear it, but the woozy boozy waft make me really uncomfortable, almost ill. Very strange - I'm by no means a teetotaler. I've had very few bad, visceral reactions to Beth's oils, but this is one of the few. I wanted to LOVE TEH SMUT! :P

I got a decant of Smut (2007) on a whim - so much has been said about previous years' releases, I was curious as to what all the fuss was about.

Wet on skin, it's sweet, and spicy, and in some way reminds me of Snake Oil, but both less heady and more ... wafty?

Dry, I'm kind of glad there's nothing that's making me think particularly boozy, but I'm failing to find the right words to describe the loveliness that is Smut. Definitely not a daytime scent though! I'm content with my decant, if only because there is already SO MUCH that I have kicking about to wear! But I wouldn't be complaining if by chance a bottle of Smut landed in my lap or anything ... !

When I first got Smut 2007 on, it smelled like root beer! I was tickled by that. So much for sexy goddess! Smut took me back to root beer candy on Halloween night.

The booze came out very quickly with warming. I didn't stink like a wino though! The alcohol notes were very much like expensive bourbon. Warm, nutty, smoky, oaky, with a pepper bite.

This is one sexy perfume. The musk isn't overpowering on me. The sugar is just sweet enough. The booze never goes sour. I love Smut and I'm so glad I bought a bottle.

Edited by n1k1ta

i'm not entirely sure what other people got but my bottle smells NOTHING like previous reviews on me. i was expecting something sweet but it seems my chemistry turns it straight into dry burnt rubber/condom smell. i smell NO similarities b/t smut and mme moriarty (which, btw, is my fave and smells astonishingly fanstatic on me).

IT HAS TO GO.

:P

i wanted to love smut too. but my god it's just terrible on me.

Edited by space girl lost

I got an imp freebied by a lovely lady, and then I HAD to order a bottle. I'm not sure why exactly, but this smell just enchants me. It's not sophisticated, and in some ways the combination of scents is odd. But it's COMPELLING.

On wet, it smells very chocolatey, like chocolate overlaying Snake Oil. On drying down, the chocolate scent is very faintly there, but now it smells more like sugared almonds. Musky, naughty sugared almonds. YUM.

The description didn't really cry out to me, but everybody seems to love it so this time around, I decided to see what all the fuss was about. Boy, am I glad I did!

It was just okay when I first put it on. There was a kind of dark bourbon note to it that wasn't bad, but wasn't great either. After the drydown, though... whoo boy :P

It smells like sex. (Not literally, thank god.) It's kind of like Snake Oil, so if you like that, try this. There's almost a vanilla tinge to it... It's amazing.

If you haven't checked this out already, you should at least give it a try.

Great bottle, too.

ETA: Oh, I forgot to mention that my mom and sister hate this scent. I got terms like "old lady" and "funeral home". WTF? Their sinuses must be screwed up or something. Oh, well. They'll just have to deal with it.

Edited by silver_dollar

In bottle: definitely booze and sugar.

Wet, on skin: Okay... well, the instant this touched my skin I knew I was going to need a bottle. It's sort of like alcohol and molasses, with some vanilla added in? Come to think of it, while it's wet it reminds me of (don't laugh) the fruitcake batter my mother makes... granted, that's heavy on rum in particular and booze in general, but I only ever liked the batter, not the finished cake. So, it's definitely brown sugar and alcohol, to me.

Dry: This stays forever. I wore it out last night and kept getting whiffs of it in a *very* crowded bar... it's just lovely. The sugar comes out more for me as it dries down, but it's a sexy, dark, almost burnt sugar.

Love this. I did run to the computer and order a bottle when my imp came, and it's my first full lab-purchased bottle. Totally worth it. :P

maybe im just wierd....but the only thing i got was flat Dr. Pepper. Warm flat Dr. Pepper.....it clung real close to my skin, and didnt have much throw.

swap pile, methinks.