Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

What a great freakin’ word. BPAL LOVES TEH SMUT! Three swarthy, smutty musks sweetened with sugar and woozy with dark booze notes.

I tried this awhile ago. When I put it on I could smell the chocolate and musk right away. I love chocolate but unfortunately it was too strong for me. I always think of myself as a stronger perfume wearer (make sense?) but it seems it was just too powerful and smutty. I could definitely smell all of the sweetness it had. It did get better as I had it on for longer but it wasn't my cup of tea.

Smut was my first real introduction to BPAL musks and was a real surprise. I expected to be blown away by deep, dark, and sensual scents that insinuated their way into my nostrils and made me all weak kneed.

Instead, I could barely smell them!

Once on my skin, and warming up, I could just about detect a boozy note with a hint of florals, but I had to apply a LOT to smell that.

On the drydown something really icky and animalistic (but in a bad way; I'd say "think skunk" but I'm weird and like how skunks smell) comes out, and then this all disappears within minutes.

Very unusual skin reaction with this one!

Bought an imp of this from Laurel the Woodfairy.

In the imp: Mmm...sugar, but with a dark, sly side.

Wet: Dark and musky vanilla with a glass of deep brandy.

Dry 5 min: Mostly the sugar, but it's a warm, dark sugar that's drunk.

Dry 30 minutes: Drunk sugar is giving me a hangover. I feel horrible!

Dry 1 hour: Had to wash it off. I actually threw up. :P The worst part is, it smells GREAT!

Notes: I've tried to wear Smut on four different days now and each time it's the same (minus the vomit). My sister, however, wears it great. It doesn't have a great throw so unless I deliberately sniff her wrist, I'm fine.

I tested this one the moment I opened my box, just dabbed the edge of the bottle across my wrist and ::swooned::. I was so excited because it did smell so very much like Snake Charmer.

I was so excited, in fact, that the next time I wore it, I slathered it on. That's when that B Vitamin smell others have reported started to dominate and I ended up having to wash it off. Not terribly pleasant.

But I have found that just a little of Smut dabbed on the pulse points is a wonderful, sexy thing. The musks and the sugar have a nice, subtle throw and last forever. Perfect date scent. Not as over-the-top vanilla and spice as Snake Charmer, but very reminiscent of it--definitely in the same family.

And the fact that a dab'll do ya is great bonus; at this rate my two bottles (including the one I'm aging ::double-swoon:: ) should last an eternity.

Long live teh Smut!

Smut I really wanted to love you. I can see that you are trying hard, and parts of you are beautiful. But your sweet, slightly plastic smell, whilst not offensive, just somehow doesn't smell like "Smut" should. I was hoping your similarities to Snake Charmer would woo me with Smutty charms, but it just isn't going to happen as your musks hide behind a sweet exterior and never really make an appearance.

I am heartbroken as I so wanted to love 'teh' Smut :P

Edited to add: having now tried Scherezade which I recently got as an imp, Smut and Scherezade smell exactly the same to me.

Edited by Bagfish

In the bottle: why yes, that would be boozy indeed. But a nice boozy smell.

On me, when wet: yep, sweet swarthy musky booziness.

When dried: The booziness fades a but, and now this feels sort of masculine, or at the very least unisex. For some reason it reminds me of Brut or Old Spice or something - the scent isn't that similar, but it has that aftershave-alcohol-musk edge to it. My father would wear a scent like this, if he wore BPAL and would wear something called 'Smut'. In fact, the longer I wear this, the more it becomes *exactly* like something my father used to wear.

Yes, my father smells of Smut. Not a sentence I would have ever forseen myself uttering.

Verdict: This is in no way an unpleasant scent but, while I love my father, I don't feel the need to wear a scent that reminds me of him all the time. I think I'll retry this in a few days., and see if the balance of scents changes any.

...and it doesn't. Sigh. Off it goes.

Smut, teh Smut how I wish I could have love you the way you wanted to be loved.

In the bottle I could smell sugar and the boozy notes...smelled like some sugary drink you would have in a speak easy.

On me wet....smelled pretty good really. Smelled just like the bottle..but with a dirt note. Don't know if it actually had a dirt note , but that is what i got.

Dry down- burnt sugar. Burnt sugar with a really really good throw. I felt like my entire house smelt like burnt sugar.

While I loved teh smut in the bottle on me not so much. Tried a bit as a room scent and it was pretty yummy. All in all..i loved teh smut...but just not on me. Curse you skin chemeistry....you keep me from the smut!

Re-reviewing due to technical difficulties.

This is, hands-down, my favorite BPAL ever. :P

There's no need to do the timetable of what notes emerge when; this doesn't change much on my skin.

The sugar note predominates, so sweet in the best sort of way, reminding me a lot of a discontinued Bath and Body Works scent called "Sugar Plum" which I loved dearly, and which had a very "second skin" effect on me.

The booze lurks underneath, lending Smut a more grown-up quality than the old B&BW scent.

This is so good, I had to stop wearing it to work. Not because it's risque, but because I kept being distracted by it. It's hard to type when you're sniffing your wrists every 10 seconds.

smut.gif

Wet this is musk mixed with sweetness and something very sharp and bitter- possibly the boozy note. When first on it smells like peanuts and root beer??? What the heck? Very strange! This stage lasts about 20 minutes- but for some reason I only got this weird reaction the first time I wore Smut. I haven't noticed it since then. Next lovely musk and sweet notes develop. I can see some similarities to Snake Oil/Charmer and Scherezade (all of which I love). I think there might be red and Arabian musks in here. This wafts around me a lot and I catch whiffs of it all day as I'm wearing it. Very deep and sexy!! Love it!

Smut smelled exactly like Scherezade on me, from start to finish.

This would have been awesome if Scherezade didn't remind me of a certain overindulgent night (and subsequent two day hangover). Kinda makes the boozy notes a funny sort of apt.

I so wanted to keep it--just for the name alone :P

In the bottle - Bubblegum and booze.

Wet on me - Initially sweet red musk, with the other musks behind it, but the musks come forward quickly.

Dry on me - Oh dear. I really wanted to love this, but one of the musks (or a combination of them) smells like stale sweat on my skin. Give it a couple of hors and I can see why people are loving this, it smells like my skin has been sugared in the lightest possible way, but I just can't take the sweat.

This is a heavy, sweet & spicy version of Snake Oil to me. I loves it and i cant get enough!! I dont think 3 bottles will suffice! :P What can I say, I'm a smutty fiend.

Wet: Dark and sweet. Musky brown sugar.

Drying down: Uh oh. Turning very smoky and upleasantly musky. There's a touch of fermentation going on. It's a bad sign when my husband, who normally can't smell anything unless I put my wrist under his nose, says to me "What's that burning soapy smell?"

Final: It started out promisingly, but sweetness didn't the musks and they went to a bad place.

My first multipe purchase - and I am glad I did. Smut smells to me like a heavier, grungy (but in a good way) version of Scherezade, which I adore. A little goes a LONG way on me and lasts forever. I have to be careful to not over apply, or it gets way too overbearing.

Good stuff :P

To me, it has kind of a dry tartness in the bottle. Sweet and smoky together, very nice.

The drydown turns to a very sickly sweet on me... reminiscent of a drunk person burping up a strawberry margarita. Not quite as gross though, lol. The smoky musk in there makes it all very warm though.

Overall it's a very unique scent, definitely NOT an everyday wear for me, but I certainly may find myself in the mood for it.

In bottle: Sweetly sugared and dirtily musked at first whiff, Smut quickly manifests itself as a bawdy, boozy delight.

On me: The musks don't like me. This goes rather sour and heavy - I was hoping for a giggling "SEX! DRUGS! ROCK 'N' ROLL!" sort of fragrance, but on my skin it becomes more of a "MONKEY SEX! BEER! BACK SEAT OF A CAR!" and that just isn't quite what I was looking for. Also there's a slight hint of "rubberlatexcondom" that wafts up now and again, and I really don't want that in my perfume.

No Snake Oil to be found. :P

I passed on this when it was up because BPAL's sugar and musk notes tend to be really iffy on me. However, when I read the reviews comparing Smut to Sed Non Satiata, I caved and traded for an imp.

Smut is like Sed Non Satiata in that they both have strong myrrh notes. Smut, however, has a LOT more musk.

When I first applied it, it smelled like Jovan Musk for about 20 minutes. Then I experienced about 10 minutes of the niiiiicest musk scent I've ever smelled.

And then it did what all BPAL musks do on me - it turned into a perfect imitation of unwashed laundry.

Phooey.

Come from: Shollin as raffle prize, Thanks Hollie!

In the Bottle: Sweetness and musk. Reminds me of Gingerbread Poppet in a way, but musky, a slight musk in the bottle.

Wet: Mmm musk! Sunsual musk. There is some sweet boozey scent but not as strong as the bottle.

Dry: Foody/Gourmand but in a better way than the others I've tried. This is more what I expected Gluttony to be. There's a definately vanilla feel to the oil but no vanilla listed as a note, not plasticy like vanilla tends to be. Powdery drydown.

Category: Musk/Gourmand

Rating: 2.5/5; Nicely done sweet musk but not exactly for me.

Overall: I like that the drydown leaves a powdered and sugary musk scent. It's very lovely and warm. Smut is a nice name for it, makes me feel drunk and full of dirty innuendo. Smells quite a bit like Dragon's Milk after a few hours.

Edited by PixieSkull

The smell in the bottle is kind of scary--sharp, bitter, and very darkly musky. Luckily it warms up some on the skin, but the-in-your-face musk still dominates. I love the sweetness I can smell lurking in the background, but it won't come out any more.

I like musk a lot, but the type that's in here combined with the strength makes me feel like I'm in need of a shower when I wear Smut. Not seductive, just kind of sweaty and grimy. I so wanted to love this, but it makes me feel skanky rather than sexy.

When I first tried Smut, I couldn't wait to swap it off. The word "swarthy" came to mind, all right: a heavy brume of caca-brown incense smoke; cheap chocolate liqueur straight out of the bottle; the feeling of trying to get comfortable on dirty-from-sex sheets in someone's narrow dorm room. It smelled of sex, yes, but it wasn't my idea of sexy.

I took it out of storage this afternoon and gave it a fresh shot, and I've got this to say: What a great freakin’ scent!

The booze notes have become sweeter, thinner, full-bodied and delicious. Brandy? Bourbon? ... and come to think of it, the cheap, straight-up, creme-thick chocolate liqueur is nowhere to be found.

There's a real splash of something strong, golden and sweet that you can smell right out of the bottle, and I'm really disappointed that it seems to disappear within a quarter of an hour. There's a pleasant wisp of the "fumes" that rise up in your throat and make you cough if you're not used to drinking alcohol -- that's gone within the first fifteen seconds.

The incense smoke is also gone. Instead, the sugar-sweetened musks are much more apparent. I recognize the red musk from Scherezarde.

Sometimes, I'll get a strong whiff of the creamy cacao from Centzon Totochtin.

Two thumbs up and two toes up! It's great!

Bottle: Gritty, musky incense. It smells just like the local "sex, drugs, & rock-n-roll" shops in town. I can't pick out any boozy or sweet notes yet.

Wet: Almost immediately a hint of sweetness peeks out, but it's still mainly a strong musk/incense scent.

Dry: Powder. WHY ARE YOU POWDERY?! It's vaguely sweet, but all the musk has disappeared, and the booze never shows up. It's just powdery. :P

OK, I had a lot of built-up expectations for Smut. I mean, really, almost all of the reviews I write say, "well it was ok at first, but about an hour in the musks bloomed and it became amazing..." So, the thought of a mainly-musk blend? I got my hands on a decant and was ready to be wowed.

Sniffing the closed imp: Wow.

Sniffing open vial: Gah. Amazing. Sugared musk liqueur. *refrains from dumping entire imp on self*

Wet on skin and initial dry: Close-but-not-quite smell in vial. I actually prefer the aggressive in-vial smell :P :D Wow, good throw... a little dab'll do ya. I'm not sold on the booziness, but there's enough sugary musk to keep it on the good side. I can tell unless something goes majorly weird this will be one of my top 5 scents.

Later: Yeah, keeps getting better and better. Musky, boozy, glazed in sugar: that's how I smell. Hours into it the booze retreats and I'm all sugary musk, which is even better in my book. Huh. Really does smell like after-romp. :D

Top 5, definitely...

Bottle: musky uh..cough syrup. that boozy/sweet thing reminds me of medicine..

Wet: same, slightly boozier

Dry: muskiness really taking center stage, the sweet and boozy notes are less prominent

Later: the sweet has got to be vanilla, it's increasing over time (always does on me, drat) nice, tho..I'll be happy if the vanilla stops amplifying, it's right on the edge..

eta: the 2007 version works much better - it doesn't have that sweet boozy medicine edge, and the musk holds its own at the end, a sweet musk...but definitely not overtaken by the sweet. yay!

Edited by Juniperus Intrepidus

I couldn't wait to get my hands on Smut, so when I finally got it. I was quite pleased.

Bottle: It's certainly quite musky and boozy. Wasn't what I expected as I thought it would be a little more musky and a bit less berry-like. Still, a very nice, strong scent.

On Skin: Here the berry-like scent is overpowering and proves to be rather nausiating. Too bad, really as it's not a bad scent, but this is one of those scents that can be naseous for me.

Worth getting at least one imp though. 6/10.

Mmmm, NASTY! :P I was afraid this musk was going to be too dark, but it is ferocious and lovely!Dark and sweet and tangy, it smells great on the boy and myself. I find this more playfully sexual than Snake Oil, like sex and candy...