Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

What a great freakin’ word. BPAL LOVES TEH SMUT! Three swarthy, smutty musks sweetened with sugar and woozy with dark booze notes.

Someone mentioned Sweet Tarts in the bottle, and my first sniff was that, exactly!

On, it goes from sweet tarts to tootsie roll pop to something sweet, creamy, faintly heliotrope-y. There is a warmth to it from the musk. It reminds me so much of something, and I cannot for the life of me think of it. Which bugs me!

I don't get vanilla or booze, certainly nothing Snake Oil-esque.

I think it is nice, and will give it another chance, but at the moment, it isn't a must keep for me.

I received my bottle of Smut yesterday...and I ***love*** it. I'm wearing it now, and it's even more complex than it was in the bottle. If this is what Snake Oil is like, I must get me some posthaste. :P

My review of it, upon opening the bottle, was thus: So, upon arriving home today I found not one, but TWO packages of lovely smelly goodness...one containing Teh Smut, and it was all I'd been hoping for, yummy as a caramel apple and seductive as hell!

It was also excellent timing, as my S.O. received the very very happy news that his long-awaited divorce is final. So, it was a smutty night all round.

I love Snake Oil, and was encouraged by reading the similarities. But on my skin, it turns almost cloyingly sweet. I'll give it another chance and see if it works. If not, I'll put it up for trade.

This is such a strange scent; I can't decide if I love it or hate it! I've worn it twice now, and it's smelled so different each time that I can't quite figure it out.

In the bottle: this oil is DARK. It's almost darker than the amber bottle it comes in. And in the bottle, it smells like Snake Oil, but lighter. Yummy and sweet.

On wet: Snake Charmer, but with no plum! There's a strong boozy note, also.

Later: Still sweet like Snake Charmer, but there a dusty note (like the one in Miskatonic Universtiy) also present. And one of the musks--not sure which one--smells like dirt on me. I wish I knew what was causing that dirty smell--then I'd know to avoid it. The sharp booze is still there too.

Later: After several hours, when this is amost gone, there's the faintest breath of sweet sugar left on my wrist. I love this almost-gone scent--the "dirt" smell is gone, the booze smell is gone, and I'm left with a lovely sugar scent.

Verdict: I just don't know. It's such a morpher, and very complex. I ordered two scent lockets yesterday; I'll try Smut in one of them to see how it smells when it's not interacting with my skin.

Smut

In the imp: red musk. Deep, rich, sweet red musk, almost like pure musk with a hint of something sugary which at first sniff, reminds me of chocolate, but it may be vanilla with a touch of booze.

Wet on skin: the musk note darkens a bit, a smokiness starts to surface.

Dry on skin: holy fuck. This is intense, and quite incredible. It's no longer the pure red musk I got at the beginning. Now I get a slight whiff of vanilla caramel with a splash of booze, but above all, a dark, dark musk…blacker than the other black musk scents I've tried-this one is like a black hole of scent, that's the best way I can describe it. Smoky and deep, it pulls you in. However, after that dark, dark musk, I get the most wonderful 'after smell' of sweet sugared skin musk that hit your nose about a second or two after the initial sniff-kind of like Snake Oil. That is amazing. This is raw, sexual musk of the darkest, most full on kind. It's wild, feral musk, almost dirty but not civet like at all…and do I detect a bit of rubber? It's odd but doesn't distract or smell too bad, and I've got to say, it's very fitting with the theme (at least it's safe smut that's going on here!)

After a while: this dark, smoky musk is only noticeable when I smell my wrist close up. A way from my wrist I get a wonderful vanilla-booze with exotic musk scent that is definitely similar to Snake Oil. It's very sweet, sexy, and very potent stuff. The red musk scent has also returned.

The drydown of this is a wonderful, deep, divine musk scent. I'm wondering if this is the legendary Siberian musk that I've seen mentions of? if so, I can see why people like it-it's damn good stuff!

Verdict: this really does live up to it's name. This is full on, no holds barred, sexual musk overload with rich, sensual vanilla. It starts off as red musk, but then I get the dark musk. This isn't the sweet black musk I'm used to-this stuff is the darkest, most intense musk note ever, like a black hole pulling you in, you can't resist it's attractive force…but then, slowly, the vanilla-sugar and light booze rises to the surface and wafts, along with a red musk note…the result being like Snake Oil, only much more potent and with more of musky punch. I even get a little bit of rubber, which is very fitting with the name (safe smut!) This stuff isn't subtle at all…not something for a first date or a family gathering, no way! I'm glad I got a bottle, because this is fantastic stuff-not something for every day, but when I want to feel sexy in the most blatant way possible, this is perfect. I love teh Smut.

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Smut: I love it!! :D It's sexy, It's Exotic, It's Hypnotizing, It's arousing, It's someting that I need more of!! :D :D Beth you done it again! :P

There's nothing I can say about teh Smut that hasn't already been said. I fully expected to fall ass-over-teakettle for this, and was so not disappointed.

On first application - sweet musk and sugar, with a touch of booze - quickly becoming more ferally musky and even overpowering. What a punch! The feralness passes rather quickly and the whole scent lightens in mood. The next stage stays pretty true for me through its super long wear time. I get some vanilla in with the sugar as it amps up, and frolicks about in the playful nude with the musks while they pour booze on each other.

Sweet and seductive, but assertive at the same time, with fabu throw and longevity. This is the bottle I grab when I need a hand feelin' sassy - but I feel it goes equally well with my ripped jeans and cotton tees or my "bow down" boots and leather pants.

Brilliant, Beth. Thanks for the boost. :P

Oh wow! Oh wow, wow, wow! Smut is amazing! Oh-so-yummy!

In bottle: Cough syrup and lollipops. MMMkay, should be interesting.

Wet: A bit fruity, vanilla and musk.

Drydown: This is the best part. The sweet musk stays, the vanilla gets warmer. And leaves an all around amazingly sweet and sexy scent. A little boozy yes, that too.

I have to say though, I didn't get any of the Snake Oil comparisons. I love Snake Oil too but to me Smut didn't smell a thing like it. Must be my chemistry I guess? Ah well, I like it still anyway, or better yet love it! I'm so glad I had to have a bottle.

I like teh smut! But of course I knew I would, I am that kind of girl after all. :P

9/10

Oh, I DO love the smut! Musky sex with sweet dark rum, and maybe a sugar cookie or two. My, my, my…

Ok, I really wanted to like Smut. I loved snake oil, so I thought Smut would be a natural shoo in. But damn my chemistry....Damn you! It smelled wonderful in the bottle, wonderful wet on my skin and then dried down to something that can only be described as urinal cake. :D I know I've smelled it on my other bpal buddies (and it smelled awesome) Lucky them, poor me. I wanted to be part of the smut cult. :P

Teh Smut! :P

Lovely, just... lovely. I was able to try from tempete's vial and lemme tell ya. This is beyootiful.

This started out in the red musk, sharply boozy side of things and quickly warmed and blossomed open into a full, rich, yum scent. Like a foodie's idea of sex. It's not a foodie smell per say, but it feels like the ol factory bridge between tummy hunger and... the other kind of hunger.

It's been about eight hours and I can still smell a vanilla-ed, sugary muskiness close to my wrist. The throw is pretty much gone at this point, but I still have a cocky, come-hither swagger.

In the vial: This smells a lot like Snake Oil to me, dark and musky and, because of the association, promising good things.

Wet: I know that Beth said that it was a little rough in the beginning, and I agree. I got the vitamin scent that a lot of people did at first, but over the course of about half an hour, it disappears. And it only wafts that grainy, gritty smell sometimes. I also put quite a bit on, so in smaller doses it might not be as bad.

Dry: Worth the wait. Thick, dark, sticky musky sugar and booze. It really is good. Makes me happy.

i was excited about smut when i ordered it because i **adore** my lovely snake oil bottle and obsessively hoard my snake charmer bottles because i love it so so so much. with everyone mentioning them in the same breath as smut how could i not order it?

i opened that box when i got it, confident i would love it. i had seen mention of red musk and, yes, it scared me because i find red musk to be utterly and completely intolerable. but the other musks would be there to blend with the red musk and make it play nice? right?

nope. from the moment i put it on it was red musk. everything else was dominated by red musk. headache, nausea and a feral *need* to wash it off ensued. my skin must amp red musk because it's the same sensation i got from haunted palace (sweet tarts being beaten with a cat o' nine tails by red musk) and red phoenix (cinnamon being stomped to death by red musk).

i'm not going to even give it a second test. b.f. liked it but i felt like i was being stabbed with a fork in the eyes.

--scg

In the vial: Boozy vanilla and something...odd.

On my wrist, wet: Caramel-coated balloon. Not getting the Snake Oil comparison at all.

After 20 minutes: Ugh. Almost all balloon smell. What is that? I'm not getting any vanillas or musk, just a rancid, sugary latex smell.

After an hour: I really wondered if I could wear this for an entire hour. Smut eventually evolved into Stank on me: the smell of an old pair of Chuck Taylors with some sort of candied fragrance sprayed into them to cover up the dirty foot smell, and a hint of ...burned rubber (?). Not exactly what I was after when I ordered two bottles based on the fabulous reviews. Hella throw, though. Sometimes I think my chemistry is simply toxic.

I'm just rabid to try this one. Come on. SMUT. I do it, I look it, I talk it, I write it; it's about time I smelled like it.

I guess we'll find out if it's musk that gives me a headache.

It has a sweet, fuzzy, almost root-beery smell in the bottle. Musk, definitely. And it's almost . . . winey. Very, very sweet.

On, WHOA, that'll knock you back a step. The musk is strong enough on that it opened up my sinuses. The throw smells sweet, like vanilla Coke, but up close it's this wonderful thick, dark musk. It's much less sweet on than it was in the bottle, but it is still a little syrupy.

As it dries, I'm starting to smell something smoky, like whiskey. It's nice. Totally dry, it becomes a swirly mix of musk and booze that is nothing like you think. It's very sexual and sexy, smells like the morning after a drunken night of club-hopping, followed by a one-night-stand, before you have cleaned the sheets. Not a complicated scent, but a nice one.

It's similar to Snake Oil in a lot of ways, but minus the odd sassafras note. This one lasts a long time and was quite stable on my skin. And no headache, either.

I didn't get a bottle like I should have. I kept thinking.. People are likening it to Snake Oil, I don't think I like Snake Oil (nevermind I'd never tried it) so I'm just going to pass on that one.

Hm. Bad idea.

While I do actually find that I love Snake Oil, and this is similar in some ways, it's different too. I swapped a little bottle decant.

In the bottle: Yeah, whatever. Nothing ever smells right to me in the bottle.

My initial reaction had been something along the lines of cocoa or coffee. I don't get that at the moment though. It's almost medicinal... plus coke.

I do smell some vanilla, some musk, and maybe some rum/bourban? This does remind me of Snake Oil, but it's definitely punchier. I can't tell if it gives me a headache or if I was doomed for one anyway. I'll have to retry this on another day.

I *do* like it. But I think I like the Snake Oil better. (And lucky that!)

I did not expect to love teh smut, because I have a fear of musk - but I ordered it anyway since it is such a sensation and everyone loves it so much. I just had to try it and see!

And surprise! I do love teh smut, or at least like it quite a bit. I'm a bit nervous about it (ha - nervous about smut) but it manages to smell sweet and musky without being headache-inducing on me. It's surprisingly light, but with a dark warm depth too. Good stuff, indeed! Now I just have to talk myself out of wearing it to class, since I think that might be a tad inappropriate...:P

Yum. That is all.

... Okay, maybe not all.

Again, this is another one I didn't order, because I evidently had a bad case of the dumb when the VD scents were released. I got my paws on a bottle of it today, and while I wasn't at all sure about it from sniffing the bottle, wow. It melted into a fantastic boozy musky sweetness on my skin, without being overpowering or cloying. Very sexy, and it does smell a bit like good bourbon to me. I should compare it to the bottle of bourbon I brought back from New Orleans. :P

Definitely a keeper.

This smelled exactly like my favorite metaphysical bookstore (that closed three years ago.) It brought a wistful smile to my face.

Sadly, it's a bit too dark for me - I was looking forward to telling people what perfume I was wearing. :P

Got 8 imps in the mail today, and went straight for the Smut. :P

Out of the imp: Ooh, chocolatey-caramel, like an empty candy wrapper. Reminds me of Hostess cupcake icing.

Wet: Incensey. Uhoh. Where's that yummy chocolate? I want to like you, Smut, please don't go all incense on my skin!

Drying: Oooh, musk. Yay!

An hour in: The incense is fading, leaving a delicious blend of musk and caramely chocolate. My cat is intrigued, and I can't stop sniffing my wrist.

Two hours in: Still can't stop sniffing my wrist. It's mellowed into a sweet musk. I hope it lasts a bit. Even if it doesn't, it's definitely a keeper.

If you liked Snake Charmer, you must try Smut! I like Smut because it's a little lighter, somehow, and easier to take. It gets sweeter and creamier over time. I like it, but I am not sure how much I'll use it since I have Snake Oil already and they have some similarities. I think I'll have to try it in the boy's presence and see how he likes it. :P

ETA: As this dries, it feels like it goes from Snake Charmer to Midway. But there's something bitter in the middle. Maybe the musks are going awry on my skin?

Edited by tart

Sadly, I got almost no sweetness from this. As soon as the lid came off, the musk started slapping me in the face. On my skin, I could smell a note lingering in the background. It was so familiar, but I couldn't place it. After about half an hour, it came to me. When I was little, my sister and I read a book about these two girl witches so we decided to make our own witches brew out of, among other things, liquid vitamins and crushed up solid vitamins. That bitter scent is what sashayed its way out of the background to join the musks.

In the bottle/wet on skin: Very similar to Snake Oil, except with a kick of musk.

Drydown: Hmm. It seems like one of the musks doesn't like me - it sort of wavers between this darkly sweet scent that I really like, and something just too raw-musk for me.

It's just not quite me - it'll go to the swap pile and hopefully find a happier home.

There's a dark smell in Smut that prevents me from immediately liking it. I think it's black patchouli, I'm not too sure. It's a bit bitter. Like coffee grounds. Or dirt.

Minutes later, there isn't much change. It smells like dark patchouli, and that's what I pretty much get. Definitely not sweet.

I definitely feel candygirl on this with the "vitamin" smell.

Oh well, we tried, ol' Smuttie-poo, didn't we? It just didn't fly.

-doreen

I've never been so thrilled with a scent that smelled like my kids cough syrup before.

When I put it on, it just sang. I could smell the booze immediately, then the musks and sugar sweet scent pulled through. Nothing faded. It all just mingled there and had a fab party on my skin.

With dh home on R&R, Smut's arrival was perfect. Another bottle is in the future.