Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

What a great freakin’ word. BPAL LOVES TEH SMUT! Three swarthy, smutty musks sweetened with sugar and woozy with dark booze notes.

Imp
mmmMMMHhh.

In the imp, smut has the color and intensity of Hell's Belle and Hollywood Babylon. Right out of the imp I smell something strong (it is the note I cannot place on either of the preceeding), something creamy, and something sparkling sweet.

Wet
That one musk that I find in Hell's Belle and Hollywood Babylon is suprisingly not as strong on the skin as it is usually on me. Perhaps, the scent is tempered by the other musks (my skin does generally well with musks). This is lighter on me than in the imp and all sorts of creamy.

My cat is circling me, sniffing deeply. Climbing all over me. She seems to like smut too.

Dry
A bit more time and this smells like sister to Antique Lace. On me, they both have the same wonderful creamy base...but Antique Lace is the light scent and Smut is the darker scent. Almost like a vanilla ying yang. They are quite close and wonderful.

I did smell a rich nuttyness at some point, but it was mild and quite wonderful.

Mmmm smut. I love thee.

smut.jpg

Bottle: The bottles smells a LOT like the musk from snake charmer to me (um, IS there musk in snake charmer, right?). It's a sweet, deep musk. Slightly fruity. Really captivating.

Wet: When this first goes, on I feel like a get a rush of light musk--Dorian like. But it quickly darkens back up to resemble the bottle smell--sweet, boozy and deeply musky. This is SEXY.

Dry: Speechless. Sweet, vanillic, a hint of fermented fruits. This really does remind me of snake charmer, though obviously not the same. It’s a sharper, drunker Snake Charmer. I just can't even begin to describe the wonderfulness of this one! Amazing throw, too. Lasts 6+ hrs.

Overall: Snake charmer is lustful calculated seduction. Smut is intoxicated unbridled fuc$ing. I like both. Doesn't everyone? :P

Edited by jewelbug

Darker and smokier than Snake Oil.

Less powdery and more sophistocated and slinky than Snake Charmer.

I llllloooooooovvvvvvvvvveeeeeeee it.

I love Teh Smut! Oh my. After getting my Click n Ship indicating the whole Lupercalia collection is presumably on it's way to me, I've been rabidly anticipating the arrival. So far not yet. But! I got an imp (a girl needs some Porta Smut, right?) and it beat the order in the mail. So! I've been officially smutted, and totally thrilled that I got two bottles (and kind of wishing I'd gotten the third I'd considered).

Anyway, it is just amazing. No idea what the notes are (besides musk, duh) but oh my, do they ever work.

I didn't slather, I only applied modestly, and the Smut was major potent nevertheless, lingering all day. Longer than any other BPAL I've tried. It kept returning even after I tested other things, washed my wrists three times, and even now I'm getting the occasional Smut echo. Wow, I begin to comprehend the term "throw" thanks to Smut.

It smells so dark, creamy, vanilla/musky, it's remarkable. It's definitely in the Snake Oil/Snake Charmer family, which I adore. However, Smut has it's own thing going on; it's a family resemblance, not identical twins, if you know what I mean. I do still prefer Snake Charmer- it's my #1 all time fave by far, but Smut's definitely wedged in there as #2. While I've loved lots of BPAL scents, there are certain ones that one just reaches for over and over again, and Smut is one that will definitely be there.

EDIT: The more I use Smut, the less it captivates me. It just isn't as lovely as other blends, it's too strong and dirty for constant useage. Don't get me wrong- there will be some occasions where Smut will be perfect, but franky I much prefer it's sister stinkies, Snake Oil and Snake Charmer. They're simply more user-friendly.

Changed rating to 3 out of 5.

Edited by LittleGreyKitten

One of my coworkers said it best: "Lyzz, you smell like rum, brown sugar and sex. Yum!"

Yeah, I am loving the Smut! Sex in a bottle, with great throw. The only problem I'm having with it is that my skin eats it within 4 hours. If I keep wearing it as a daily scent, I'm going to run out much quicker than I'd hoped. I knew I should have gotten more bottles....

This was one I was sure would work, but for some reason it didnt...

Bottle: Surgared musk. Just like it said!! YAY! I :P sugar and I :D musk.

On (wet): This goes VERY musky on me. Underneath it all, though, there is something "off". I cannot even describe it. It's just off. It gave me a teeny headache, unfortunately. But, I persevered.

On (dry): Oh, this is beautiful. Very light skin scent. I get the top note of musk and it's beautiful b/c it's chilled out significantly. The sugar is there, but it is more of a brown sugar...softer, sweeter. Finally, the booze I get here is a cognac and oh is it lovely.

Overall: I got a lot of staying power from this blend. It remained true to its drydown after going to bed that night. We're talking about 24 hrs of staying power from one little swipe with a Q-tip. Unfortunately, I just cannot go through the "off" phase again.

I love you Smut, but you broke my heart.... Luckily, I have found you a new home where you will be loved for who you are. It's not you, Smut, it's me.

The notes in this always work for me but the name, SMUT, yep, HAD to have it! Especially after I told my Beloved about it and he said, "SMUT! That's one of those words that when I say it, it brings a big smile to my face... :P"

I've worn this a couple of times(including right now), and LOVE it!

In the bottle it has the same sweet spiciness of Snake Oil. It doesn't necessarily *smell* like S.O. to me, but there's definitely a similar feel to it. On skin it darkens beautifully, becomes a deeper, richer scent....The musk in this is quite yummy! I don't pick up any booze note other than a bit of a dry, slightly sweet, non-koolaid grape thing. Just dawned on me what that slight dryness is, too, duh.

There's also a similarity to Sed Non Satiata. Still, SMUT stands all on it's own.

Beautiful skin scent, lovely throw but invites one to come close.

SMUT...SMUTTY SEX...mmmmm

I tried this yesterday at the Will Call, and I'm glad I have a bottle on the way. It went on very dark and musky, almost so dark that I was really afraid it wasn't going to work out. Because whatever that "dark" is, it's pure, adulterated skank-ho, and I mean that in the best of ways. It just might not be for everyone, know what I mean?

After an hour, it smoothed into a medium dark, sweet sexy thang. This is definitely a horny woman's scent. No cowering virgins or maidenly Alice here. Two strange men approached me while waiting for the Red Line, one of them a man much younger than me, another much older. I am convinced they smelled teh Smut, because it's been awhile since I was approached by *two* strangers within five minutes. Heh. So, maybe if you take public transportation and want to wear teh Smut, bring some pepper spray too...just in case! :P

I like this a lot! I tried it at last month's willcall and knew I had to own it. Its warm (spicy...almost like incense), and musky with sweet bourbon.

Edited by donsixgun

Well there's good news and bad news. The good news is that I have identified the note in Spellbound that made it go all stinky and head shop-y on me. The bad news is that it's Red Musk, and it's a primary note in Smut.

I swapped for Smut, because I love musk, booze and sweetness. I was dying for it, and kicking myself when I missed it. When I opened the bottle and took a sniff, I smelled that head shop note, but I figured that it might change when it touched my skin.

On my skin, a hint of sweetness and RED MUSK! It's killingly loud on me.

After a few minutes I'm still getting the sweetness hint, and a teensy whiff of a smell that I like, but I can't really identify it because the red musk is all over me like the KGB. I can't shake it. I can just get hints of a scent I love, but I can't grasp it. But I want to leave it on a bit longer to see if the note I don't like falls off.

A bit later, the Red musk is softening a bit, and I'm able to smell other notes, but it's still very much there, and I don't like it. I try to wash it off, but this stuff has amazing staying power, and a lot of throw. I walk outside to collect the mail, and even in the frosty air and after a couple of hand washings, I can smell it strongly.

I wish that soft, slightly powderly skin musk that's lurking underneath the main note was able to come out more, but my skin refuses to cooperate.

In conclusion, Smut isn't the perfect sweet musk for me. It will have to go to a new mommy who truly loves it.

Ahahaha! Thank gods someone else got peanut-butter, I was thinking I was crazy! It smelt like I put on some Sed Non Satiata and then spilt a mug of hot buttered rum over the top of it - and Sed Non Satiata smelt of, as I have specified elsewhere, sweaty peanut butter and semen, so that shit's no good.

I wonder what the peanut butter note is? ::goes and searches around:: Is it the particular sort of booze?

This is the scent of an illicit lovers tryst in a dark dirty alley, pressed up against a wall trying not to moan and full of passionate hurry because you two don't want to get caught. (Behind an Indian resturant/bar perhaps, with all the spices)

Preconcieved notions: From the sugar and booze in the description I was expecting a slightly darker version of Sugar Skull, thick and bright with sugar but heady from the booze. I didn't realize the booze was rum and congnac...

In the bottle: Dark, snake-oil type scent.. did I get the right bottle?

On my skin: Dark red musk and slowly rising sugars.. do I smell orange? Something not quite nutty, but oily in a very seductive way.

After several hours: Ah yes.. there is pachouli in this! and dark sugar.. very nice.

Overall: This is nice.. This makes the 3rd dark BPAL scent I can wear without being turned off by one note or another (The others being F'54 and the Coiled Serpent.) I'm really an aquatic girl at heart, but this is a fantastic scent and I'll be keeping it.

Edited by Summerpixy

AIIIIIIIIIIGH.

Smut doesn't work on me. It doesn't even come CLOSE to working on me. It is, in fact, completely and volubly horrid at every stage of dryness.

In the bottle, it's hot sugar sex. Just like it should be. The instant it touches my skin, something goes MUSTY and BITTER and I hate it. It's probably the black musk.

I can still smell the caramelized sugar and some of the red musk in the background. But it's WAY in the back because the bitter black musk note is stomping all around and refuses to leave. This isn't sex, this is the morning after sex when you realize you probably shouldn't have.

Gah. Maybe it'll age into something decent. Into the drawer!

Lobster Rating

Better than: tripping over the cat

Edited by Uploaded Lobster

i really thought i was going to like Smut after seeing all the comparisons to both Snake Oil and Snake Charmer (two of my favorite scents).

but... it's not working for me at all. i don't smell any resemblance to the above-mentioned scents. :/

it's nauseatingly sweet with a fruity scent and something that's like burnt plastic.

Edited by angel sixgun

Well, of course I had to try the famous Smut as soon as I got it.

In the bottle: Boozy, thick, sweet.

Wet: OMG PEANUT BUTTER! I've got cursed peanut butter skin or something! However, my husband says he doesn't smell peanut butter; he says it's "nice" and smells "a bit fruity." Okay, let's just wait out the drydown and see.

Drying: It's sort of a fascinating exercise in the subjectivity of scent. I'm still a bit troubled by the peanut butter but otherwise finding it nicely dark and spicy, but now my best friend says it smells "like candy". However, she likes it quite well, and she doesn't like commercial perfume, and also doesn't always like BPAL (I can't wear Snake Oil if we're going out together cause it freaks her out).

Dry: Okay, at least to my perception of it, it's now a soft spicy musky scent that reminds me a lot of Scherezade (yeah, I get Scherezade more than the Snake Oil/Snake Charmer similarities that others have noted -- but they're all in the same family). I have no idea how it smells to other people, as I couldn't go around asking everyone I met how my perfume smelled. But overall I do like it.

The second time I wore it, it seemed a bit sweeter somehow, and I could see the candy comparison more, though I'd say more like a sweet syrup over musk. It's probably not a top ten (and not very long-lasting), but I'm glad I ordered it.

This smells just like musk and caramel. It's sex with dessert afterwards. Very rich, smoky, and dark with a LOT of sweetness and a LOT of throw. I am notorious for eating scent, and even I find that a little Smut goes a long way, has plenty of throw and lasts a loooong time.

I am definitely keeping this but breaking it out for special occasions. Smut is heady, strong and willful. And it is love. :P

first, I have to offer condolences to all the addicts who are experiencing evil peanut butter notes. what a heart-breaker that must be. but I thankfully don't get that hit at all from smut. it is naughty musk and sweet booze on me. I want to attack myself when wearing it! experiences so far: a male coworker who knows my bpal tendencies and likes to sample my daily scent walked by the office door, stopped, came back in and asked if he could smell me. after a deep sniff, he gave me a wicked smile and said "yeah. that one's hot." mm-hmm. that's what I think too. then I had an awful accident where I dropped my bottle on my desk! gah! luckily, I was able to herd most of it back into a paper cup and decant back into the bottle, but yikes! however, now my office smells wonderful -- though a bit "den of iniquity"-ish. this is a heady, sexy scent. be careful in the application, tho. it can be powerful.

and for those off you who enjoy the animal magnetism of this scent, may I recommend a roll with someone wearing satyr? :P

I was so hopping that Smut would work for me, even though it had 3 deadly musks in it. What can I say? I love the word "SMUT" so much that I was willing to ignore my skin chemistry's desperate cries of rebellion.

:P Smut just completely bombs on me. I don't get any sweetness or booziness or any loveliness. All I get is harsh, cheap, imitation musk mens after-shave. :D

So now I'm off to find it a new home....

In the bottle, it's hot sugar sex. Just like it should be. The instant it touches my skin, something goes MUSTY and BITTER and I hate it. It's probably the black musk.

this happens to me at first as well. for the first 30 minutes or so of having it on its this disgusting, awful, bitter smell. it went sweet sugared vanilla on my boyfriend but on me.. :P

i put on just a tiny bit this morning to try it, and i couldn't stand it. but i figured i only had on a little and i was too lazy to scrub it off, so i just put some carnal on my wrists and neck (the smut was on the back of my hand) and left. i model for my school's life drawing class, and they usually have a little heater going. about halfway through class i started smelling something yummmmy. really sweet, musky, sexy delicious! it didn't smell like carnal, though. i was kind of shocked that such a tiny swipe of smut could smell so strongly and have so much throw! it's yummy though!

it's turned into this delicious, vanilla-sugar-booze scent.. it's a little lighter and sweeter on me than dirty throwdown sex, but still VERY sexy, like i FEEL sexy and confident.

a keeper, if i can get past the first little bit!

Vanilla, sweat and pheromones. No peanut butter for me, thankfully. I do understand the comparisons to Snake Oil and Snake Charmer, but it is still unique. Rich, decadent, sticky, husky, sex in a bottle. yum.

This fabulous.

In the bottle: Like Snake oil, but without the smokey incense quality. Some whiskey. Wonderful.

On me, at first: Very boozy, in the extreme.

after about 1/2 hour: This is *fantastic*. The musks are so well balanced and the booze notes have retreated to the background. And I'm also getting a whiff of... raw vanilla cake batter? Ah, that would be vanilla and sugar.

Wow. I am *so* glad I thought to get a 5ml of this. And i want to get more, because this will be amazing aged. :P

I wasn't originally going to order anything from the Lupercalia run, but damn if this and Luperci didn't suck me write in. Beth, why do you have to write such awesome copy? And then the reviews.... gaaah... yeah, so, I'm looking forward to this one. (There needs to be a "hopeful" smiley.)

In the bottle: My mum got to this bottle first, and, after chuckling at the name (how cool is my mum, that she doesn't freak out about her teenage daughter wearing "Smut"?), she uncapped it, took a deep sniff, and pronounced...

Her: "Bubblegum!"

Me: "What? No! No! That's not right! Try again."

Her: *inhales* "... yep. Mmm. Bubblegum. The kind I like."

Me: "Is it sexxxy bubblegum?"

Her: *gives me A Look*

And, I have to admit, in the bottle, she's sort of right. I can smell whatever note Beth uses for sugar (yum), about a million different kinds of musk (Siberian, red, maybe black...? None of that pale clean stuff for Smut!), red and black patchouli, booze, a dry cocoa and... plum! I think that's what was giving the bubblegum note, there is indeed something very fruity in here. Maybe a bit of vanilla as well. It's not at all what I imagined, but I really do like it. The musks and cocoa are, in particular, to die for. It smells a lot like Snake Charmer with an added chocolatey note. Oh, I hope this is great on me.

Wet: Whoa! Bitter! .... Ohhkay then. I'll give it a second to calm down here... oh, that's better. I think it was a burst of woody patchouli that threw me off for a second... It's still there a bit, but it's not so punch-you-in-the-nose after the first thirty seconds. Hmm, I have to say, I'm not getting a whole lot of "SEX" out of this yet. Patchouli, musks, a hint of boozy vanilla but, at the moment, just a hint.... The throw is much sweeter than the blend right up against my arm, and seems to have that same sort of fruity note as the bottle. No cocoa. Amazing radius, though-- I only dabbed on the tiniest bit, and bam! I'm walking around in a cloud of hazy goodness.

Still, when I stick my nose right up against my wrist, there's something just a little "off". I think someone else mentioned that during the initial phase they got a sort of rubbery smell? It's a bit like that, yeah, but it seems to go away on most people once it's all the way dry, so I'll just leave it to sit for a few minutes here, and content myself with sniffing from a distance.

Dry: I kept trying to play Web-boggle as I was waiting for this to finish morphing, but I was distracted by the smell wafting up from my wrists! It's a deliciously woozy vanilla, backed by sticky plums dusted with cocoa and rich musks. The patchouli is still a tiny bit offputting if I mash my face into my arm, but from a few inches away it smells like I just rolled around with a gorgeous man in a tub of trifle. :D Great throw, and I think this one's got stamina, too.

I'm going to try putting this in the crooks of my elbows instead of my wrists, as I've noticed that often turns things sweeter and elimates any sharpness, but even if nothing changes... this one is just too yummy to let go. O will forever be the ultimate sex blend for me, but I can definitely see how this could be construed as smutty: it's sinful, indulgent, heady, and sticky-sweet.

[several hours later] For some reason, I didn't post this right away, and it sat around in my browser, just waiting for me to finish it. Rather convenient, actually, since I was running back to the computer to say, after another half an hour, the woody part of the patchouli burned away completely, and the stuff on my wrist was the same as the throw. :P

[eta] I forgot to add... the Communists are invading the summer house at the moment, so your mileage may definitely vary! I suspect it's my "that time of the month" chemistry that's giving this the surprising bitter note; I'll try it again when it's not the full moon and update accordingly. :D

Edited by WidgetAlley

The lovely Brienze decanted an imp for me to try--my first BPAL ever, which means this is also my first review ever.

In the bottle: Bubblegum. Bazooka bubblegum. It's got a medicinal, sweet fruity scent.

Wet: Wet, this smells like my grandmother's house, which is not a bad thing. Her house always smelled warm and safe, like sugar and caramel. I'm also getting just a hint of booze, which reminds me of my grandfather. It's weird how this scent transports me and suddenly I'm ten years old again in their seafoam green basement, my dad teaching me how to play pool while my younger cousins run around in circles.

I don't get the musks, but that may be because they're so well blended, and I always expect dark musk to hit me over the head.

Possible TMI: While the scent itself doesn't strike me as particularly sexy, my body is responding to this and I suddenly want to find someone right now to have a few rounds of hot, dirty, just-for-fun sex with.

10 minutes: Delicious vanilla and sugar with a hint of dark rum -- lovely. Wait, vanilla, what are you doing? Don't turn sour on me, please. I love you, vanilla, you can't turn on me, I beg you. Oh, OK, you're not going to turn sour. You tease. You had me worried for a minute there. Oh, ho, you're not vanilla at all, are you? You're caramel! Cheeky caramel.

20 minutes: OK, there's something sharp coming up. It's not unpleasant, just bright and slightly herbal. This must be the note I thought was vanilla souring on me. It's a sweet, fruity herbal note peeking out from beneath the thick caramel musk. Actually, it may be the musk, since red musk sometimes turns fruity on me.

1 hour: No, caramel, don't go. I love, you caramel! I didn't mean to call you cheeky. I take it back! Damn. Caramel's gone, and now it's just nutty booze and fruity musk, making me slightly dizzy. Maybe I should have just put this on my wrists instead of putting it on my neck, too. Oh, hi patchouli. I didn't even know you were in there.

Verdict: Dirty, boozy, with a hint of sweetness to keep it from being complete porn. Not an everyday scent, but something I'll wear when I'm looking for a nice, long make out session. I won't go looking for more, but I'll definitely keep my imp.

Edited by Magda

Preconceived notions:

This could go either way on me. I love boozy scents, but musk often smells like cat pee on me if it's not the right type for my skin. :P

First sniff:

Ooh, that's musky...and sweet. This is an unusual scent. It's definitely swarthy smelling and yet it's somehow feminine in its sweetness. It's a down and dirty, yes smutty scent. I'm not sure if this is going to work on me or not, but it's certainly interesting.

Wet on skin:

This reminds me of Snake Oil for some reason. They're definitely not the same scent, but there's a certain family resemblance...musk and sweetness with maybe a touch of booze. I certainly wasn't expecting that! :D

Dry down:

I actually really like this! It's like Snake Oil's smuttier cousin. Heavy, dirty musk with a vanilla-like sweetness and a touch of what reminds me of whiskey. I wasn't expecting this to work this well, so I'm pleasantly surprised! :D

Edited by Penance

If I could only wear one BPAL perfume it would be Smut. That really says alot about this as I have many favorites, Its musk, its sweet and its boozy. Whats not to love? It does have that Snake oil bit in it, as well as the Sed Non Satiata, but its so unique. The throw is wonderful, I get tons of compliments and I love it. Just a beautiful blend, I hope it becomes a GC and not just a limited edition, I would buy this in a few 10ml if I could. It's one of those scents that just gets better and better as you wear it.