Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

What a great freakin' word. BPAL LOVES TEH SMUT! Three swarthy, smutty musks sweetened with sugar and woozy with dark booze notes.

BPAL loves teh smut! I know Beth warned us about this one, that it'd smell a bit aggressive in the bottle but is positively wonderful once on. I haven't smelt Sed Non Satiata yet, which is the scent Beth said this is a lot like, so I have no basis for comparison there. Sorry, guys?

In the bottle, yes, it's definitely aggressive. It almost smells like Robitussin cough syrup - that same boozy, quasi-fruity medicinal quality. It has the potential to be sexy, though, I can definitely see/smell that.

Smut immediately sweetens when it hits my skin. It's pretty much musky sugar sweetness after a few drinks, precisely what the description says. There's no more medicinal smell to be had, but it's definitely warmer - do I smell vanilla? Very sophisticated and womanly, almost reminiscent of Jean-Paul Gaultier, only without the headache J-P gives me. A seductive, sophisticated, heady, little-black-dress-and-stilettos, 'take me now' scent.

I love teh smut. If you haven't already, GET SOME. :P 9/10.

P.S. Throw is amazingly good.

Mellow and a bit boozy in the bottle--slightly sweet.

My initial impression is that it's got something in common with Snake Oil--I'm guessing that it's one of the musks (but I could be completely off base :P ).

This is definitely a skin scent on me. Warm and musky, just slightly sweet and boozy.

Thank you to the lab for getting these out so quickly--I'll be scoping out reviews to see what else I need to order before Lupercalia goes away :D

ETA: The longer it's on, the better it gets. and the throw is *just right*

Must have more.

Edited by kimmer

My first impression was "Beaver moon has sex with Snake Oil" but that isn't quite right :P I went and got my bottle of Sed Non Satiata and it is that same patchouli scent only kissed, fondled and screwed into the sheets with a sugar/rum scent. It is devine. Run out and order a bunch of bottles. You will thank me later. If you like patchouli AT ALL you quite simply must have this. The patchouli isn't at all bitter but is a sweet rounded scent. Am in love...

Ok - after wearing it for a few hours I like it even more. So damn good. I need to go makeout with someone...

Edited by Tramp

Smut

Sniffing from the bottle: Oh, glorious Snake Oily musks. With a sprinkling of fruity sugars.

Upon application: Earthier upon application, and less sweet. Nothing at all like Devil's Night, yay!

After a few minutes: Bloody hell, it's like Snake Oil, but better.

Conclusion, to keep it short: As others have said - seriously, get some. Right now. Stop reading this review and go order it...

Ok, apparently I am not the only one smelling a Snake Oil kinship. Of this I am glad : whatever the musk is in SO it's the only one that doesn't go horridly overpowering and perfumy on my skin. This is extremely aggressive in the bottle, to the point of getting an ew face from me, but it changes dramatically on skin. Sweet, sexy, the *feel* of spice without the scent, if that makes any sense; Snake Oil without the incense. I only put a tiny dab on, so that might explain why it seems to have no throw. Definitely gonna test it further. During the inital drydown I picked up this weird note that smelled like something rubbery was burnt O.o but after it's dry, yum.

In the bottle

Snake Oil smelling. That's the first thing that popped into my head. But this is good.

On

OMG, this is so good. There seemed to be for a split second, something nutty and sandalwoody and do I smell sasafrass? Dunno. I smell the sugar first, the dark caramely boozy notes second (and so far this all smells like vanilla a bit) than the smutty musks are kind of supporting everything I guess because I don't smell musk's telltale...muskness yet. This is really freakin' good.

30 minutes

Okay the musk notes are there, and these all were apparently made for each other becuase they all combine to make a scent that isn't really musky and really isn't really boozy, it's just golden-brown, comforting, foody goodness.

Throw:

a bit

Scent category:

Foody/Animalistic

Summary

It smells like when I put my vanilla pods in the sugar bowl. After I scrape vanilla beans when I"m baking (right) or my husband is baking, I pt the pods in the sugar bowl to flavor and scent the sugar. Emeril taught me that. That's what Smut smells like....but musky. Soooo good.

Purchase again?

Yes.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Strong in the bottle, very light on me. With deep sniffing, I think I smell some Snake Oil-style musk, crossed with the sexy sweetness of Sed Non Satiata. Oddly, though people said Sed smelled like peanut butter on them at first, I never got that with Sed but did with Smut.

The peanuts fade before too long, and are replaced by a light warm, brown-sugary glow. Very pretty!

Smut indeed! If guilty-pleasure had a scent, it would be this! On me, the musks are indeed dark, reminding me, I think, of the musks in Spellbound. However, keeping them from being too dark & overwhelming is a sweetness, just enough to keep me sniffing my wrist. Reminds me of the things I revel in in secret, too embarrassed to share with even the one closest to me. The things that make you feel so dirty, yet you can't help but go back to, like instantaneously covering your eyes at a shockingly obscene moment in a movie, but unable to resist peeking through your fingers.

So glad I didn't give in to my borderline fear of certain musks. The payoff is well worth it! :P

edited for grammar. I swear I am losing IQ points by the hour.

Edited by sixthsentinel

Initial Impression:

Sweet booziness with a background of dirty musk.

After Wearing It:

Wet this smells really dirty and gritty. I definitely can smell a similarity to the opening moments of Smut to Sed No Satiata, which in its first hour was giving me mental images of being in the front row watching angry women mud wrestle in a seedy bar. Smut doesn't smell quite so dirty/muddy, it's more musky and sweaty. The musk is heavy and almost bestial and there seems to be a dirtier vein of patchouli here. I smell a little booze but not much. If I had to guess on what type I'd say it was something darker like bourbon, because there's not much sweetness at all. Definitely cannot smell the sugar.

For the first hour or so, Smut is very, well, smutty. :P It's sex but not sex with affection or even much sensuality. Not sex that's about seduction or mutual pleasure, but blind hunger and a good amount of selfishness. It's dirty, raw, and somewhat mindless. The scratching, pushing, taking and panting parts of sex that seem to serve as a reminder of how much genetic information we have have in common with hairier species. It's the kind of sex that would be more alarming than embarrassing or arousing to walk in on because it might even look nonconsensual until you notice both are definitely participating. The scent is definitely more than a little disconcerting as it ravages my chemistry.

Ahhh but then the afterglow kicks in, the happy, sweet relief that comes in when you've finally satiated that hunger, that craving. It's like that immediate alleviation you feel after you start eating after starving all day even though the food hasn't have a chance to nourish your cells yet. The sugar finally kicks in and it has a vanilla tinge to it. It smooths and soothes the strained heat that smut had been for the past 90 minutes or so. It brings in a surprising amount of care and cuddling with it, providing the calm after the initial storm of desire. It's still sexy and sensual, but it's not as powerful, its needs are not immediate. And yes it does smell a little like Snake Oil, but softer, muted like it's been wrapped in flannel sheets. Very gorgeous and I love it!

Final Thoughts:

Wonderful scent! Perfect embodiment of smut, great job Beth! Couldn't have captured the essence better. And doesn't smell at all like Devil's Night to me, that was sweeter overall and more boozy.

Wow this is my first review in ages. I haven't had time to give a scent enough proper attention so that I felt comfortable reviewing it in a while, but I felt compelled to do it for the people still on the fence!

Embarrassing enough to follow a beautifully written review like ShriekingViolet's. On top of that, I guess I am Mary Poppins, because BPAL "sex" scents smell very sweet and innocent on me. O smells like honey vanilla loveliness... and Smut? It's absolutely gorgeous, but I am not getting hot smutty nekkid throw down sex. I'm getting sugary, spicy, slightly bourbony... Snake Charmer memories! That's right, Snake Oil ladies. I smelled Snake Oil in the bottle, but on me, it's much more the sweet, fruity spice I smell in Snake Charmer.

But you know what? I am off to order another bottle because this stuff is incredible.

Wow. Just wow.

This is a truly deep and sensual scent; the name is very fitting and then some!

Somewhat boozy and musky to me in the bottle, when I put it on, it's got a Snake Oil thing going on - and I thought of Tootsie Rolls, too, once it's been worn for a little bit, because it has a slightly chocolately tone to it, too, for me.

I think this is one to wear to get someone's attention - it's strong but not overpoweringly so, and it's got a great presence. And at the same time, it's comforting in a familiar way but also very, very alluring.

Great blend!

I'm seriously contemplating ordering a second bottle. Hot stuff! :P

Yay Smut! *smut*smut*smut*smut*

I had prepared myself for the strong smell in the bottle that Beth mentioned, so I was really surprised when I opened Smut up and smelled...fruits dusted with sugar and steeped in some fancy liquor. It smells great in the bottle!

On my skin, it's yummy dark musks and what really smells like the smoothest, most rounded patchouli, with an almost root beer or chocolate element to it. I can see the comparisons to both Sed Non Satiata and Snake Charmer. Then there's that cognac base that gives it a little kick, and a sweetness that on my skin is less like sugar and more like some glorious, heady flower that telegraphs as steady, sensual sweetness.

For those people that got a peanut butter note from Sed Non Satiata (and I was one of those people), I get no peanut butter from this whatsoever. I was also concerned about the boozy notes, as the Lab's wine note has never been amenable with my chemistry---but the booze here is completely different (IMHO) and totally wonderful.

After an hour, this is just the most seductive muddled musk, a tumble of gold and red and brown incensy notes like a set of twisted satin sheets. Irresistible.

I love teh Smut is an understatement.

I'm about to place an order for a second bottle of this--hell, three's a charm. Instant classic. I feel compelled to start a petition to make Smut a permanent catalog scent.

I'd describe Smut as a more feminine version of Snake Oil; it smells like what I'd hoped Snake Oil would be. Smut doesn't have Snake Oil's sharp (masculine) medicinal edge. Smut's vanilla is much more subdued than that of SO with musks that are reminicent of SO and Spellbound, all warmed up by brown sugar and, dare I say it, cocoa? A little boozy, buttery, and golden. Not a hint of burned rubbery plasticy peanut butter squicky oddness on me. Sugar and spice and everything nice. Innocent but a little, well, smutty.

Everything about this is just right, including throw. I want to wear this every day. If you're into this kind of thing it is imperative that you buy some Smut while you still have a chance. It's another one from this update that I think might only get better as it ages.

More professions of love for teh Smut!

Before hitting the club, Snake Charmer has a quick tryst with Sin. Then quickly rushes to meet up with Elegba at the club. On the way home she finishes the night off pressed up against the wall in a back alley with her favorite f**k buddy, Snake Oil.

Oh, yeah....what a night that was!

You're going to get boozy rum, sugary sweet fruit, a splash of warm spice, full on sensual assault from red musk, with a drive by from patchouli and maybe a wave from Sed non Satiata.

The word of the day...smut. Truly another fantastic Beth creation.

P.S. I would sign my name in blood on a petition for this to join the General Catalog lineup.

This is similar to Snake Oil, but different enough. To me, Snake Charmer & Oil are almost identical. This has something more different.

Wet, it's like Snake Oil on a bender. Sweet, sexy, sugary, boozey.

Initial dry: something goes weird plastic-sour-playdoh. Gah. I put more on to cover it up.

More dry: ok MUCH better. It's the sweet, musky quality of Snake Oil with a lighter, fresher top note. I think as this ages, it's just going to get better and better. I'm stocking the hell up.

Smut is an olfactory orgasm. That's a double "o," thank you very, very much! There is no emoticon where the little face is laying back with a satiated smile on its face, smoking a cigarette. If there was such a thing, I'd insert it (tee hee) right here.

OK, let's focus... In the bottle it's sweet and spicy... I didn't get much musk from the first sniff. The inital application and drydown is musky, but in a good way. Smut has popped my cherry for musk scents -- I refused to consider anything with musk in it before now. After a half hour, it's turned very musky-boozy, with a dark sweetness. Musk and brown sugary-bourbon.

And appropriately, there's nothin' shy about teh Smut! It's got some throw, it's got some oomph, it's got lasting power. This creation does justice to the word, and perhaps even enhances its meaning in my mind. What else can I say? It's force of nature, I love it.

valentina

in the bottle i get a red fruity sweet musk. i believe the red musk gives me a hint of fruitiness.

wet: strong gorgeous! sweet musky scent. not getting any boozy notes.

dry: this softens and becomes a sweet sexy skin scent. it is more innocent smelling then i expected. but it is incredibly sexy and gorgeous. and i do believe it has hopped right on to my top 5 list

Wet: This has a pleasant, not-overly-sweet scent. Complex, but I almost smell Bazooka

On Skin: Amazingly, the first thing I think of when I smell this right after applying it is...latex rubber gloves as a perfume (i.e. they don't smell exactly like glovers...but has that essence). The sweetness neutralized a bit. I'm actually still enjoying it, though.

Drydown: The latex smell melts into a more complex and indescribable scent. It feels kind of dry, light, spicy, pretty scent.

I really like it. I got it this afternoon and was happy to see it hadn't been taken down. So, for the first time, I have bought a second bottle! I haven't even replaced any imps with other imps yet. Ok, in the order I did buy a bottle to replace my imp of Othello (but that's only because the imp's almost out). This was the first time I bought an EXTRA bottle--though I probably wouldn't have if it weren't an LE.

Two thumbs up!

ETA: I gave my roommate the bottle to sniff...he said, "I smell patchouli..."

Edited by GirlfriendInAComa

In the bottle: I sniffed it and immediately thought, "I need another bottle of this.". It's very musky but not the sharp type of musk. It's the subtle shadowy kind. It's very sexy and reminds me of Snake Oil, in a way.

On my skin: the sweet sugary vanilla part immediately amps up once it's on my skin. The musks keep it from taking off too much and becoming too cloyingly sweet (something which would have been a deal breaker for me). It has a nice throw, and stays true for... let's see. It's been about 4 hours now. Just barely starting to fade a bit. I love Teh Smut!!

I'm keeping this one. :P

Smut makes my eyes roll back in my head. It's Snake Oil without the patchouli, Snake Charmer without the plum. It's almost pure Siberian musk on me, with a hint of vanilla and booze lingering underneath. Must amass large quantities. :P

Lovely. Well, not quite the word I'm thinking of... :P

But, it is a delightful blend. So earthy and sweet. The musk is fantastic. And the booze is :D

This and Red Lantern are going to by vying for top spot in my top ten list me thinks...

I don't like Snake Oil or Snake Charmer, so I was kind of afraid to try this one after reading some of the reviews.

This isn't anything like I had expected. It's actually rather fruity on me, and I'm not getting any sort of boozy notes. It doesn't even smell that sugary. I keep thinking of raisins, actually. :P I am also getting the strange fragrance the turned me off in Snake Oil.

Smut on me smells like Snake Oil eating raisins. After about 15 minutes, this smells very cold on me. Cold and slinky, with a sort of wooden fruitiness.

After a half hour. This smells pretty much the same, but it also has a strangely burnt quality to it. It makes me feel nauseous. I should know better. Anytime that someone compares a scent to Snake Oil, it tends to make my stomach turn.

Smut, sadly, isn't one that I'll be wearing (I so wanted to tell someone that I was wearing Smut too, lol). Maybe I'll try to age the oil and try it again in a few months.

:P yes, you could knock me over with a feather with this blend...

it is ultra beautiful......definitely has the snake oil/snake charmer qualities

.....and it has some component that was in blood moon and red phoenix...i

can sense that.......while neither of those worked for me, this one

completely does...i am sooooooooo glad i ordered that 2nd bottle as this

is in my top 10......beth is a genius...... :bowdown:

In the bottle: Snake Oil. Well, a drunk Snake Oil

On: A sweet, sugary, boozy Snake Oil. I get the same vanilla and spices of SO with a nice musky smell.

Dry: The same, except the booze wears off. I think I like this better than Snake Oil and Snake Charmer. It's the musks that are doing it for me, I think.

If you like Snake Oil/Snake Charmer, definitely get this. Even if you don't, give it a try - it's different enough to warrant trying. This isn't a top ten scent for me, but I really like it.

OMG this is so damn good. And the different lables on the bottles are too 'effing cute!

This scent is so sexy. My fiance is very "excited" about this one. He loves when I wear Snake Charmer or Perversion, but he says this is his new favorite on me.

It's sweet, slinky, sexy and just a little bit naughty... perfection!