Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Three swarthy, smutty musks sweetened with sugar and woozy with dark booze notes.

Yep, this is Smut. Not as amaretto toned as 2012 (my favorite vintage), its a bit drier and less sweet. But still on the same vein. Possible bottle purchase.

I finally gave in to Smut! And I like it a lot. Very comfortable and wearable.

It's musky and I guess a little boozy, as expected. I would guess red musk is in it, but I have no idea what other musks.....I don't smell black musk. And I really don't know what booze notes are used here. The sugary part is really nice and smooth. I was expecting something like Infernal Lover, but it's reminding me more of The Soldier. Kind of root-beery to me.

My old decant is very similar.

Edit: it's the 2015 version that I'm reviewing here

Edited by Forspecial Plate

My fears about Smut were completely unfounded. It's not at all like Devil's Night and though it has red musk in it there's so much more going on. I can't identify all the notes in it. Depending on where I put it I get different facets. The extreme drydown of the dab in my cleavage is definitely dirty musk. On my wrist its sort of dry and a little bit fruity. Up along my neck I get a waft of something that reminds me of Practical Occultism, just a bit. Damn. I'm really happy to have a bottle of this! I can see why some people hoard bottles of it.

Edited to add I get no booze notes that I can identify. Nor sugar, exactly.

Edited by fiddlehead

Oh, *my*. This is precisely what I hoped it would be. The musk and sugar and boozy notes are playing perfectly with each other. The musk grounds the sugar and the sugar brightens the musk and the boozy notes (more background on me) keeps it all interesting, and on the fun side of "filthy". I think this has made my top ten.

In the imp: Pretty much exactly what it says on the tin: musky, sweet booze. However, the sweetness isn't directly identifiable as sugar, and boozy notes are always a little roulette-y for me. Anything dark and sweet, like rum, bourbon, or brandy, generally plays well with my skin chemistry, but lighter liquors, such as wine, champagne, or absinthe really, really don't. So I'm glad that here we seem to have the former!

Wet: An unusually thick, orange-red oil that could potentially stain skin or clothes. But oil notes aside, this is still a sweet, musky booze scent, but a lighter, less overtly sultry form than ITI. Going with the bottle art theme of the 30s, ITI was lounging on a pile of pillows, smoking a hash pipe and blinking kohl-rimmed eyes at you. But now it's more of a get-up-and-dance-and-have-a-good-time kind of scent. I swear there's even a hint of citrus in there!

Dry: It eventually settles down into a sweet boozy note - I believe the same one (or at least very similar to) as was in Juke Joint. And like JJ, this note LOVES my skin, and turns to a gentle, warm, delicious scent that I find myself constantly huffing.

I've got decants of 2012 and 13 but THIS is my favorite incarnation. It's still swarthy and sexy, but not as bawdy as the grapier vintages.

Ok Smut...more then any other scent so far I have wantedt his one to be a LOVE for me. So much so I tried it twice and wasn't totally sold. But funny thing is I will probably keep trying it in the future even lol. But here are the two I tried so far and my thoughts...

2012 - First Smut I tried and this one was very musky on me and not much else. There wasn't enough sweetness for me. I wanted some of the grape and booze notes that I like but sadly they weren't there, It was a sexy scent though but didn't win me over.

2010 - Tried again with this year because the reviews made it sound sweeter but again it didn't totally work. I did get the grape here but the musk was still strongest. While I don't mind the musk I just want more booze and grape to come out. One day maybe we'll get along but alas not yet...

This was a lovely frimp. I've been meaning to try it, so I was pretty excited! Who doesn't want to smell like Smut?

Wet: Grape cough syrup.

Dry: Musk indeed! And sexy musk at that. Like, throws you on the bed, rips your favourite blouse and you don't even care, sexy. Unfortunately, it's still fighting a losing battle with that grape cough syrup note. It wants to settle into something boozey and super sexy, but never quite gets there. So it ends up being cough-syrup-after-sex and that's not what anyone wants to smell like. Sad.

ETA: Oh shoot. I thought I was going to test a different year of Smut (some kind soul sent me another tester) and I was excited to see if there was a different result, but someone this is 07 again! Well, my skin chem did change recently, so I might as well.

So much musk! It's musk overload. I love musk. Red is dominant. Ugh, but there comes that gross fake grape note. Shit. Guess my skin chem hasn't changed that much. Wish I had got a decant of this years to see if fresh is any better on me. I want to love Smut!

Edited by LizziesLuck

Damn.

I bought a bottle of the 2015 version because I heard so much about it. And for the first month, I couldn't stand it. It smelled like those gross cheap plastic toys bathing in sour grape juice.

But I heard it gets better with age so I cracked it open recently. AND WHOA.

It's a sexy dark purple kind of smell, and the plastic note is like some sort of dirty rubbery edge that just rounds the whole experience out.

Well done, and next time it comes out, I'm stocking up.

In the bottle this smells heavenly, I get the strong musky smell sweetened by sugar and made woozy with booze. I was so excited to skin test this one, but when I did I was kind of confused. I got bubble gum. Like the cheap pink hubba bubba that comes in the roll. It was really weird, because booze and musk both work on my skin, It didn't smell bad, but it was just too sweet for me. I am sad because I really thought that one would work.

Edited by BeyondBad1313

2017 version

I'm a Smut lover, the 2012 vintage being my favorite, so let's see how this stacks up.

This version is not heavy on a particular note, like 2012 is on the Ameretto, but it is sweeter and more sugary to my nose then the 2015 version. Still musky and boozy, but almost with a sugar crust if that makes sense? It's still great, I'll still wear it, and it's still the much beloved Smut we all know.

Edited by Larinessa

2017 Version

Smut is really something! It's outrageously sexy. A sugary, musky, honeyed masterpiece.

I was shocked to look through the past reviews and see the grape, fruity, and amaretto notes people have gotten from past versions. This is straight up honey sugar crusted boozy (but just a teensy bit boozy) musk on me. There is something sparkling and scintillating about Smut, which is such an interesting combo with the dark honey. There also seems to be a whisper of Snake Oil in here. Maybe that's why I'm crazy for it!

Like I said, this is super sexy and provocative. Smut is the hit of my Lupercalia order.

2017 version and my first time trying Smut! Starts off wonderfully - musky, sugary and sexy as all get out.

Unfortunately, Smut is like Snake Oil on me - it just gets stronger and sweeter the longer I wear it until about 45 minutes in when it is completely overpowering boozy sugar and sadly headache-inducing.

Apparently Smut (like SO) is great for other people, but not for me.

2017 version

Smut is my second-favorite scent BPAL scent, right behind Dorian. I think I own five Smut versions now, with 2013 being my favorite.

This year's version goes straight to leather on me - very weird. (Not that I'm complaining, but.) I'm thinking that with some aging, it will get back to the sweeter, boozy Smut that I adore. It does get there after some dry-down time, but the musk is much stronger on me than the sweeter notes right now.

This is basically exactly what I expected from the description and reviews, but I'm glad I got a decant first since musks are one of the morphier note families. There's definitely red musk in here, something like whisky or cognac, and spun sugar. It ends up smelling like red musk cotton candy with something a little darker lurking underneath. While I like it, for whatever reason I really can't see myself wearing it. Maybe I just don't like musk-dominant scents on myself? It would be good for layering, though!

2017 Version, from a decant circle of my first Lupers!

First Sniff Impression: Definitely smutty. Like Blood Kiss but somehow lighter and more tolerable for me. A musk I could see myself actually wearing.

Wet in Vial: Kind of literally how it's described: sweet, boozy, not overly-heavy musks.

Drying Down on Skin: Since I'm really not great at describing musks I'm not sure what to say besides it's definitely a sexy, smutty scent. NOT one you'd want to wear to work. The sweet to musk balance seems pretty good. So since I'm trying to be "creative" I guess it's a "hanging out in a relatively nice but dark and red-lit bar" scent?

Dry on Skin: This has sweetened now that it's dry. The musk is still there, but now I'm able to notice how amped it was before, now that it's slightly less. It's now kind of more spicy than musky, and it's hard for me to pick out of I'm smelling booze or if it's just part of the musk.

Conclusion: This has an interesting morph that I think would really appeal to fans of this sort of scent, but it's just so not for me. It's too heavy and kind of hurts the back of my sinuses while making me slightly nauseous. It's totally personal preference thing, though, and I can imagine this one is extremely popular with others. I can tell a lot of work went into making this one!

2017 Version

I'm not doing my usual review format since I didn't write down my observations and while wearing it (plus, I happen to be wearing a different scent at the moment).

This smells somewhat like Snake Oil to me, weirdly enough, but better. I'll be the first to admit that I've tried Snake Oil a couple of times and it just hasn't worked for me. It's not bad, but it's not incredible. Smut, on the other hand, is like a version of Snake Oil that works on me. There's also something to it that reminds me of back when I tried Dee, but more gender neutral.

Basically, the musk is super nice, the boozy notes aren't too strong, and the sugary part balances it nicely. The whole thing is... pleasantly spicy, I guess? And pretty gender neutral, like I mentioned. It sometimes seemed to morph a bit, but never into unpleasantness. Smut and I Too Beneath Your Moon are the winners as far as Lupercalia scents I've tried.

2017 version.

Oh yes. This is everything I wanted it to be and heard it could be. It's slinky and sexy as all get-out.

Well balanced boozy musk smoothed over by a bit of sugar. I can see the comparison to Snake Oil too. It has very much the same vibe, but the smell completely different on me.

This just shot up to my top 10. Gonna need a backup before Lupers come down.

2010 Version; On application it reminds me a loooot of the old version of Mme Moriarty. Lovely red notes, heady and sexy. On drydown, this goes more boozy with a bitter undertone. Root beer comes to mind. It's still similar to Moriarty to me at this point, but now it's less heady and the sugar is sexy!! Maybe I should go for a bottle in the future. :)

2017:

After taking one overpowering musky whiff from the bottle, I let mine rest about 9 months before re-approaching. A just-the-right-amount-of-sweet cherry musk. Lasts throughout day. I felt very pleased every time I caught a hint of it.

Okay so I'm not sure what year this is, either 2007 or 2008? It's got 2 ladies on the label.

Either way, I loooove it.

It's a bit boozy but not in a drunken way, a bit floral, but not in a smothering way, sugary but not in a too sweet way, and musky in ALL of the good ways that I just don't have words for.

It's crystalline in a way I think

The booze isn't so strong that you feel like a drunkard, it's "Oh, I'm a wee bit tipsy." Just enough to be bubbly.

The sugary musk is the real star. It's kind of like Snake oil, but sweeter.

On my ol' man it smells straight up grapey.

2018:

I'm calling this year's incarnation The Magical Mystery Smut.

Why? Because it smells different every time I apply it. This was a blind bottle purchase, so maybe volume has something to do with it.. If I rub by wrists together, guess what..it smells different on each wrist. First time, it smelled of black musk and booze. 2nd application, its golden musk with some light sweet floral pink thing going on and sugar on the other wrist. 3rd, its pure pink sugar and rum and golden musk on the other wrist. The list goes on.

This stuff is the shit! It gets my favorite icon award. :wub2:

Really digging this. Dark and sugary, boozy in the throw. Something about the musks reminds me of The Red Egg, vaguely fruity, reddish musk. Very nice.

2017 bottle and it's delicious. It's sweet red boozy musk. It starts off with an overwhelming throw but settles fairly quickly. It doesn't smell like red wine and dark chocolate, but it sure brings the image to mind of lounging and enjoying those two delights. I'm absolutely in love!

The first bottle of Smut I have doesn't have a year listed on it. I'm guessing that might make it 2006?

In the bottle: Earthy musks and sweetness. I don't get any booze, though the description of root beer is apt. 

On my skin:

Wet, a boozy note rises to the surface. If I had to get more specific, I'd peg it as a gold or dark spiced rum. It doesn't dominate but sort of hangs out on top of the sweetness. 

The musk in this -- which quickly dominates the scent profile -- means that on me, it has throw for days. (Also wear length for days... literally.) I'd guess red musk and something near whatever is the "deep musk" in Hell's Belle. 

This doesn't morph much on me but remains sticky, sweet musk. I don't think of it as a sexy scent -- though it's definitely more grown-up than are most "sweet scent" profiles -- but I always get compliments when I wear it. And it's not a scent I wear, say, to work. 

Comparatively, the 2008 version:

In the bottle: Same basic scent profile, though I get more musk and booze and less sweetness in this version. (For what it's worth, the oil is lighter in color too.)

On my skin:

Booze again jumps to the top of the scent while it's wet, though while it lasts this time, it makes the scent overall less sweet. It's more reminiscent of a bourbon whiskey than of a spiced rum this time. 

As it dries, this balance continues. The booze is a little sharper and a little stronger, which makes it a little harder to determine the specific musk notes. The sugar is a little less prominent, so it's not quite so syrupy sweet.