Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Three swarthy, smutty musks sweetened with sugar and woozy with dark booze notes.

Smut 2013

I've tried a couple of other Smuts and they all had an strong winey alcohol note to them that I really dislike. This year during decanting I noticed it smelled different.

I get a beautiful grapey sweet musk! I LOVE it! Not getting any cherry, amaretto or funky booze notes at all, just a purple grape juice type of scent. The odd thing is I normally don't like grape scents either, but this is nicely balanced with the sweet musk and is a win! I guess I'm a Smutty gal too! :lol:

eta: scent description Edited by azurephoenix

This is for the 2013 version.

In the decant: Grapey booze, but not wine, but more like a wine liquor.

Wet: Grapey boozy musk. :)

The dry-down: Mostly the same, but not so sweet and grapey.

So, I tried Smut way back in '07 when I first got into BPAL, and I remember there was a lot of excitement and hype about it at the time, so I expected it to be awesome, and I was crestfallen when I absolutely hated it.

However, in the years since, my taste and nose have changed a bit, so I thought I'd try a decant of this year's Smut to see if it was me or the scent, and I don't know if this year is different or I like different scents now or what, but I don't hate it.

I don't love it, but I don't hate it.

The musk is definitely dark, which is usually bad for me, but the sugar and sweetness seem to keep it from going powdery. The sweet aspect of the scent fades as it dries, leaving a dark and pretty dirty/sexy musk behind.

[singing] "One of this things is not like the others..."

I'm a Smut lover -- I have all the Smuts. So I don't know if there was an error with our bottle, but this 2013 decant doesn't smell like the other years (I sniffed to compare). It's heavy with the same dirty red musk that's in Lips Full of Lust and Laughter, I can't detect vanilla this time (yet it's really sugary), and the dark booze isn't one I'm familiar with. I'm sorry to say I don't care for this one, so am not buying a bottle.

Edited by rawgirl75

For Smut 2013

Oh Smut, how I love thee. On me, it turns into a sexy wine-musky scent with lots of staying power. Though I detect the grape notes, they are kept in check by the musk. Definitely bottle worthy!

Dark, so dark and musky and sweet. I never really get any of the boozy note, nor any fruit that might denote a boze scent.

This is honestly one of my favourite scents ever, and sits amazingly on me for days. I could pick up an old jumper I have been too lazy to wash, and it just smells so rich and awesome.

Ever so slightly powdery, but absolutely gorgeous, as it seems to temper the sweetness.

Smut 2010

Wet: grape candy with dirty undertones, very strong and kind of boozy.

Dry: similar, musk becomes smoky but the sugary grape keeps it sweet.

Quite like this one, even though the musk hurts my nose if I smell it too often.

I could SWEAR I've reviewed this before as I fell in love the first time I got a whiff, so much so that I have two versions!

2006 (I *think*)

Bottle: What it says on the tin. Very, very smooth and sexy.

Wet: Incredibly well-blended. Did I mention smooth? Lots of red musk, sugar, slightly boozy.

Dry: Definitely sweeter than '11, and lighter on my skin. Beautiful nonetheless.

Bottle: Sharper than 2006, a bit astringent, and more boozy.

Wet: I feel like I get a whiff of patchouli with this one. A bit rougher, sharper, and more naughty. Has a bit of a smoky feel.

Dry: Definitely dirtier and raunchier. I think this is my favorite of the two I have.

Wowza, this scent is strong!

Bottle: Sharp, kind of medicinal. Expect that's the booze note.

Wet: Cotton candy. Very fruity, very sweet, with this kick of something. Maybe the booze, maybe the musks. Both of these notes seem to be second to the fruity sweetness.

Dry: There are the musks. The boozy note is almost totally gone now, leaving a sugar encrusted musk. The throw on this is tremendous (I just tapped the unwanded cap to my wrist a few times) and it would be too much if I applied any more, but is really sexy and feminine right now.

Overall: I am very surprised by how much I liked this. While it's by no means an everyday sort of scent for me, I could totally see myself slathering myself in it, sliding on a slinky dress and going to the club.

This is for the 2010 version. I definitely smell an Enraged Groundhog Musk musk, lol, that subtle nutty scent. But it's very light, and the rest of this incredible blend is sweet, a bit boozy (but not too much!), and has a definite patchouli vibe...and is completely sexy. Winner for sure.

Edited by MiasmaResonance

Smut is amazing

I have no idea what year this decant I just got is from but WOW!

This smells like honey on me. Well honey and wine. It's a deep golden honey just dripping out of the hive, Or the smell of honeycomb, the kind you eat wax and all. It's yummy.

To me this reminds me a lot of O. It's very sweet and boozy but there is also musk there holding all of this together and keeping it from being too sweet. Where O tends to be a bit too sweet, Smut is just right. Also, sometimes O can turn into powder on me especially on really humid days. Smut doesn't do that (probably because no amber is listed in the notes :lol: ) The Wine/grape thing is lovely. It's not all grape all the time like some wine scents on me. This is blended really well. Ohhhh I love it so much!

I prefer Smut to O and I hope we get another chance to buy this at Lupercalia because I need lots and lots of bottles.

This had hubby's attention for sure. He kept grabbing my wrist and smelling it on the way home.

Actually for most of the ride he just had my wrist permanently placed under his nose. Yeah we need lots of bottles.

I will treasure my little imp until I can score some big bottles.

Oh yes. Deep and boozy and sweet without being cloying. Incredibly liquid and slinky, perfect for a bleak autumn day. It fills you up and makes you want to settle down in it and just luxuriate.

Smut 2010

This is so gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cut to 2013

I've gifted my 2010 bottle 1 month later after i got it.

At first i got all the boozy musky notes, but the drydown started gradually to bug the hell out of me, due to its oh so reminiscent and unsettling smell. I couldn't put my finger exactly, back then, what was it that was bothering me, but this year, and reading some of the reviews in this thread, it hit me that SMUT has red patchouli as one of its key ingredients. It smelled so similar to my aged RAVENOUS bottle, which i gave away too, because it had the same distinct red patch vibe. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

Edited by theredkilt

I got a chance to try decants of '12 and '13 this year via swaps, and decided this will be a mandatory bottle this year for sure!

Edited by rinster

I'm not sure if I've already posted here but I feel similarly to rawgirl75 about '13 except I enjoy it for what it is...which doesn't smell like one of the Smut family...its not sweet at all and somewhat flat whereas the other years I've tried smell full, rich musky and have some sort of various fruity vibe.

My favorite is '12...I think I detect cherry in with the gorgeous sweet musks but thankfully no booze to speak of. I hope '13 isn't the start of a new direction for Smut and that '14 will be more similar to '12. :-)

I love teh Smut!

ETA: I need to add: when I layer Smut of any year over any lotion I think will smell good with it, it smells really off. When I wear Smut on unlotioned skin it smells gorgeous...including '13. Note to self, no lotion with Smut! :-)

Edited by Herb Girl

2010 version.

Wow, this is fabulous! I'm hesitant to try anything with booze as a note, because they rarely work out. But this doesn't smell like alcohol, really. It's a bit foody, like a dessert that I can't quite place. Maybe tiramisu? Yeah, like a cake soaked with sweet booze. But that is definitely secondary to the musk, which takes centre stage here. I see other people have mentioned grape/cherry, but I get nothing like that. Just heavy musk sweetened with... something tasty.

It's very sexy and heady, there's nothing subtle about it. I think this is what you'd smell like after you'd dressed to the nines then headed to the club, danced and drank for hours, and then passed out while eating tiramisu. It's awesome and I'll definitely be on the lookout for a bottle.

2008 version: wet:strong musks with a foody tinge. dry:boozy tiramisu musk...strong, but very nice for an evening out! throw is strong and stayed for about 7 hours

Dearest SMUT,
I love you. I love you most dearly and ardently. You have stolen my heart and I give it gladly.....
Not a day goes by that I don't think of you fondly.......remembering your boozy, smutty, juicy musk.....
I am quite beside myself with want of you....
Let the world laugh at me, curse me, revile me......but I shout to the Heavens... You. Are. Sublime!
Our love will burn until the stars grow cold......
I wait... until I am in your, red musk, boozy, sugared arms again.....
Forever yours,
Lilly

I had an aged version of smut from 2010. hoooooooo boy, I thought that I was a smutty girl but it was a little overwhelming for me. it was... lusty musks that evoke red wine, bulging sugary red fruits with juices dripping everywhere. and a 10 hour orgy in a steam room. the throw was pretty strong. use with caution. :twisted:

I have four versions of this. So, I'll post all three here as I wear them. I should add that my 2013 version is in my aging box as we speak, but it is almost time to do the yearly opening of the box to see how everything is doing.

2011 version

I bought a decant of this from a forumite in a sale a couple of years ago. It is such a rich color, and still blended together nicely. I swear I smell cherry in there along with the red musk. I get this same situation when it first goes on my skin. This is a mellow, smooth red musk that creeps along the skin. The cherry is part of the wine scent, which is why it works on me. As it dries, there is more of the red musk and the sweetness is a nice bit of sweet, not foody sweet to me, but a gentle one. When it is completely dry, it ends up almost all red musk and sweet, in a not cloying way.

2015 version

This is a bottle that I just got in. Unlike previous years blends, this one was immediately wearable. If I'm getting the length of wear this soon that I usually get with the other years' blends after they age a bit, I'm curious how much stronger and smoother it will get as it ages. This means, I get the same length of wear from this fresh as I do from both 2011 and 2012 (put my '13 back in the box without a review because I was not up to reviewing it but it still isn't as lasting as '11) now that they have a few years on them.

This is a cherry and red musk blend on me. The booze is really not very strong when it first comes out. As it starts to dry, the cherry goes down quite a bit and there is a wine note, but I'm also getting another fruity booze note in there. That one stays completely in the background, but it seems to want to blend in there. Also, I'm getting more musks, not just red. It's wanting to throw a little dusting powder, which black musk does on me when it's fresh. But, there must not be much in it because it's very faint and in the background. Once it dries, it's all musks on me. Another good year's version.

Edited by anaengel

'15

Wow. I am a Smut lover (at least years '07, '08, '10, '12 and '13) and this year's is no exception. I would say this is a tiny bit more powdery than '10 but most similar to '10...no particular fruits, just sweet, smutty red musk. It amazes me that it is instantly wearable since so many need time to rest/meld/think about what they've done, etc. I will need a backup of this, for certain...this Smut is hoardworthy.

2015 Smut

This is my first experience with Smut and I absolutely love the scent, but it is definitely a scent that morphs with my chemistry.

Bottle & Wet: Smells very boozy and very musky, like Chanel No.5's half sister. This scent wet smells extremely similar to Chanel.

Dry-Down: Dry on my skin, this scent has morphed into a sweet smelling vanilla blend that I really love. It smells like a vanilla candle that was blown out recently with the wax still soft and throwing a little scent. There is no smoke scent like a blown out candle only a subtle wax like vanilla scent with a little white wine in the background and the spicy incense smell that I can't really place. I am guessing that must be the remnants of the musk.

Throw: I find it has a fairly good throw. When it's wet, it has a really strong throw for about 20-30 minutes that settles down once dry. It is much closer to the skin once it dries down completely.

I really like the scent a lot, definitely enjoy the bottle art and highly recommend it!

2015 version!

Mmmmmmmmmm! Sweetly, softly spicy and musky. Definitely a sexy scent, as the name would imply. I think I'm in love... or at least lust.

This gets a little powdery on me as it dries, but not so much that I can't live with it.

I love the label art too. Naughty!

This is the year of the perfect smut. It is absolutely gorgeous. Perfect. Doesn't go to sweaty balls on my skin, lightly sweet, with a touch of booze. I love this. Will be buying a bottle.

I'm new to bpal so this was my first time trying this, so I was excited.

And it smelled like really sweet licorice to me while on my skin. :/

I had to wash it off. I am sad because I've heard so much about it! But oh well.