Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

After all these years, BPAL is smuttier than ever. Three swarthy, smutty musks sweetened with sugar and woozy with dark booze notes.

2010 version :)

In the bottle:
This smells exactly like a chocolate with a boozy liquer in the middle, or a boozy cherry cordial to me, it's quite yummy

Wearing:
At first it seems to fade right away - then the scent pops up again out of nowhere and initially smells kind of like...pee. Then kind of like SEX.. and finally it eases into this sugary grape musky booze.

Drydown:
Somehow both a feral...and sugary sweet scent, ultimately primal and highly sexual but completely glazed with CANDY.
This remains close to the skin as it dries down. It doesn't fade quickly but the throw is not strong on me. Something you have to get a little closer to pick up on. Edited by Shollin

2010 version.

Imp: I agree with someone who mentioned grape candy; a hint under the boozy, swarthy musk.

Wet: Muuuuusk. I don't know, it's very, VERY heavy.

Drydown: Musky, but with an almost vanillic sweetness underneath. I might keep this for layering but it's not an on-its-own scent for me.

This is so much sweeter than I expected! It goes on very sweet, and stays so for quite a while, before drying down to a vanillic kind of muskiness. It has quite strong throw.

Smut 2010

It needs to age! Right now it's a bitter musk, sugar, and grape scent on my skin. I know this will be full of awesome once the components have some time to settle, so I'm just going stash this in a nice dark place and wait. ;)

'10 Version

I know I tried an earlier version of Smut early on in my experimentation with BPAL blends. I can't remember for the life of me what it smelled like, but I do remember that I didn't like it. Tastes have changed though these past two years, so here goes...

On the skin: Root beer! Yummy yummy root beer!! Whoa! Now it is bubblegum! Huh.... A musky bubblegum. Later the bubblegum fades, and now I think I am just smelling musk. Loads and loads of musk. I am on the fence about this one.

I have never bothered with Smut in the past, because booze and sugar are typically very definite Notes Of Doom that smell sour or burnt and in general very unpleasant after about ten or fifteen minutes of interaction with my chemistry. So when the easter bunny frimped me with about half a decant of 2010, I tried it with a great deal of trepidation, ready to rush to the bathroom and scrub it off. And after nearly half an hour, it's picked up a faint hint of sour, but only on a very deep huff. I'm amazed.

It's a very sweet and musky grape, with significant throw. I like it enough that I might even get a bottle to stash for a year or two; if it's faking me out and I hate it later, it's not like there aren't a thousand people out there who won't take it off my hands!

Smut '10

Bottled smelled sultry sweet.

This was the first really musky oil I've tried. It actually smlled just like the bottle on me than got a little sweeter as it dried. Smells good now..so I imagine it's going to smell realllllly good in a month or so.

This is the 2010 version.

In the decant: I smell sugar and musks. No booziness, but I don’t always smell booze notes until they’re on my skin.

Wet: Whoa. This isn’t a retiring blend at all, surprise surprise. ;) Still no booze. The sugar is the top notes, with the musks underneath.

Drydown: Now the musks are dominating, but the sugar seems to be sticking around. Still no booze!

Later: This is the sort of thing that makes me feel like I’m 10 again—“I’m not grown-up enough to wear this!” The booze finally comes out. This is a scent that demands red lipstick. As I wear it, it gets a bit gentler but is still very much a “pay attention to me!” scent. I see what the fuss is about, but I’m not sure if it really works for me. I’ll keep and wear my decant.

Smut 2010

In the bottle: Sweet red musk infused with booze. It smells heady and intoxicating.

On the skin: Sweet red musk with a barely noticeable amount of booze. There's some vanilla peeking out too. It gets a little bit powdery, but that's probably something that can be fixed with age.

Luscious blend. :wub3:

This smells like sugared black currant and velvety musks.

Wet, the perfume smells like Bath and Body Works Black Currant Vanilla lotion.

I love the sugar note in this. It smells like white sugar crystals.

Smut dries down to a luxurious musk.

This is so nice. Nothing like the stale sheets and booze smell I feared it would be.

Edited by Amaranthus

2010 vintage:

Smooth, boozy red musk romp. I can see why this is so popular. I actually prefer this fresh, as my older bottles smell more grapey on my skin.

2010 Version

Ah it's Teh Smut all right, only this version is smoother and even more sensuous. When I got my 2007 bottle, I found it strong and overpowering with the musk dominating. It developed into a very wearable blend, however and is now a fave. This version seems more 'blended' to me, if that makes sense. Everything melds together better, even though it is fresher. The musk is so smooth, and the slightly dark fruit booze blended with makes this blend very languous, sexy and relaxing. I'm betting this will be even better than 07 as time goes on. :wub2:

2006 version.

In the vial: I'd wager boozy, fruity, and a touch musky, but really the scent is hard to pin down—it's dark, a little medicinal, and faint.

On me: Immediately on the skin there's a whiff of strong dark musk and something medicinal, almost cedary. The drydown is as faint and indescribable as the scent in the vial. It reminds me of Snake Oil, which also pulls a disappearing act on my skin; the hint of scent left behind is a similar combination of black vanilla, incense, patchouli, and musk, a scent which is faint and dirty and slightly "off." Scent-color is dark brown; throw is low, low as low can be, adhering to the skin.

Verdict: The Snake Oil family tends to do this to me: despite lovely, tempting descriptions and reviews, they're oddly faint and a little off on my skin, a skin-level hint of crusty vanilla with sundry dark bases. Smut follows the same trend, so the result on me is a simple disappointment—although perhaps not a surprise. Oh well! I'm glad I had a chance to try it, and I'll pass along my decant.

Smut might as well be magic. seriously.. every review is different!

On me:

Ever smell Womb Furie? That's exactly how this smells on me. Honeyed musk and spices. Mmmm.

Mmmm. I don't even know what I'm smelling, but it's good. Like eyes rolled back in my head, nose buried in my arm kind-of-good.

Smut 2010 is very boozy in the bottle, and at first on the skin, but it seems to dissipate quickly. It doesn't go away completely, but that's ok--I like the Lab's booze notes (with the exception of champagne--that one gives me a headache). It's impossible to describe, for me; a lil' sweet, a lil' musky, and sexy as all hell. Like a burlesque show took place in a candy shop. It's absolute love, and I wish I had a gallon of it! :wub2:

I got an imp of Smut '08 as a very generous frimp from an order. I forget who it was at the moment, but when I got it I couldn't thank them enough! I was wondering how chocolate scents would like my skin, and here's my experiment:

In the bottle: WOAH, they weren't kidding when they said this is booze and chocolate! The scent triggered a memory from one especially debauchery-filled Halloween evening I had a few years ago...:blush:

First swipe: Super sweet, I'm feeling a little tipsy just smelling it. The throw is pretty good and it's strong but not giving me a headache, which is a plus. If anything, with this I wouldn't need to buy so many drinks at a bar considering just smelling this will do half the work!

Drydown: I'm convinced, this is what the Wonka chocolate factory would smell like after a booze-fuelled orgy. Deliciously vile!

Edited by Shollin
Removed Lab description

Smut stays amazingly consistent throughout all stages for me. On my skin, Smut is all about sweet red musk (no booze notes noticeable - fortunately, because I usually don't do well with them).

This is one of those delicious scents that comes back to me even when I am not wearing it, and makes me crave more and more. I ordered one bottle initially, and had to talk myself down from ordering two backups instead of just one. I occasionally forget that I need to start out with just a dab, and add more if necessary - this is not a scent that I need to slather. Smut has major throw and lasting power (but it can be too much during certain times of the month).

Smut 2010 earns a 5/5 on my skin, and holds a solid place in my Top Ten.

Smut 2006

This is a muskier version of Snake Oil. I loved the intense but smooth musk and dark boozy notes when it was wet, and the final dry down of chocolatety goodness. :wub2: It's competing with Snake Oil for my #1 scent. Super sexy and delicious.

2008 version

Smut lite. It seems watered-down. I'll use it in the Summer when I feel naughty but can't have a super-heavy perfume on.

2010 version

This is similar to 2006 Smut, but with a vanilla ice cream note. I guess this is what newer Smut smells like or there's a different component...I'm guessing the latter because the oil color is considerably lighter than my motor oil thick '06 bottle.

(ETA descriptions of different Smut vintages)

Edited by mxtine

Mmmmmmm..... Smut 2010 is aging so nicely! When I first got a decant, I was a bit non-plussed-- it was super fruity/grapey and didn't seem very mature or complex at the time. I waffled, then I decided to spring for a bottle before the Lupers came down and I'm really glad I did. Now, several months later, I feel it really is living up to its "swarthy, smutty" description. I get no booze that I can detect, which is fine, as that note can do very poorly on me. Now it's just mature, a little raunchy, a little disheveled. :twisted: It's particularly fun to layer with other scents: Death Adder and Womb Furie are :yum: layered with Smut. And now that I'm sold, I have a backup on the way. :lol:

I agree, it was a bit boozy when I got it (2010 version), but today it's smooth and musky. Nicely layered with Lush Potion Lotion today! :yum:

I can understand the association with sex and latex, but I don't think this is what Beth had in mind....On me, this immediately turns to rancid, burnt bandaids. This is sadly the worst experience I've ever had with skin chemistry. I guess I'm one of those people Smut doesn't work on.

SMUT 2010:

In the bottle: A bit grapey, but I didn't notice that at first until I read the previous reviews, then said "Oh, that's what that is!"

On the Drydown: this is almost vanilla like, laced with sugar and musk. I've never tried straight Snake Oil of any type, and every Snake Oil blend I've tried has gone badly on my chemistry.

But this Smut..... OMG! I can't stop smelling my arms! It is not heavy or boozey to me as one might expect; it's actually a bit light and girly, IMO. It's beautifully sweet but not cloying, warm and musky without being too much... It's beautifully sexy without being dirty, if that makes sense? I could bathe in this! To me it is actually light enough to wear to work (in an office).

OMG I love this! Must find more.... :wub2:

Edited cuz I ken spell.

Edited by Lorna Brigid

I was digging through last years Lupers after this years update came out and I realized I had pretty much forgotten about Smut. Time to check in again.

It starts off a lot sweeter than I usually like. This is some sweet stuff. Later I notice that even though I'm testing something else on the other arm all I can smell is Smut. I do love a scent with a decent throw. A while later though I'm still getting some intense whiffs and it's starting to remind me of ... corn. I don't know why, but I kept thinking of that musky/sweet smell that fresh ripe corn has. It stuck around for a good long time - its presence was noticeable for longer than any other bpal I can remember. Overall not a scent for me, but it is long lasting.

Even I was inspied to try out Smut again after the new update. I bought mine 2010 and tried it when it was new. Musks are tricky for me and Smut was a great disappointment. A strong bitter musk and just a strong bitter musk. It has lived in a dark corner of my BPAL collection since then. Trying it again, nearly a year later, it has turned into something wonderful. Wow! The bitter musk are still there, for about five minutes. Then it's just gorgeous! Soft musk with hints of vanilla. Like the previous reviewer I can't stop sniffing my wrists. :wub2: I think I will have to revise my shopping plans for the new Lupercalia and add another bottle of it.

I just reordered SMUT for 2011, my 2010 bottle long gone. It doesn't need to age, it just needs to be.

Snake Oil out on the town till dawn. I last used it in September when we were in Dublin. At a pub one of the muscians I was talking to when they were on break went mad for it. :joy: I put a bit on his wrist and I thought he was going to write a song about it, I swear.