Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Smut! Smut! Smut! Three swarthy, smutty musks sweetened with sugar and woozy with dark booze notes.

I'm reviewing a wonderful sample of Smut from the lovely GirlinDenial (I'm pretty sure that's Dita Von Teese she's got on the label too.. god I love Dita :P )

Anyhow,

In the Imp: A naughty (musky) nurse curing what ails you with a spoonful of sickly sweet cherry cough syrup and a swig of booze..

Wet: The fruit dies back, the musk notes come straight to the front and for a moment this is somewhat masculine as the nurse leans in close for..

Dry: A sugary kiss with liquor on her breath. The fruit pretty much dies out completely for me and I'm left with sugary musk. Totally smells like a hot, drink fueled make out session..

Long Wear: The fruit reappears a little, and combined with the sugary note makes this musk super feminine on me.

Overall Experience: I loved this one immediately, and was happy the fruity aspect died down. This oil is pretty heavy, and while I love it, I tend to under perfume myself in general for fear of applying TOO much.. thus it did last all day, but with a small throw considering it's assertiveness, I think I'd like to apply a bit more in the future. I see this one as sexy and cozy or sexy and... sexy, depending on how much is applied. Edited by MCS4096

I tried the '07 version. Upon first application there seems to be an odd burnt sugar smell. As it dries however, a warm musky boozy scent develops. This is positively lascivious. Aptly named indeed. I'm not getting a fruity note here at all. The booze note smells similar to cognac. (I am not at all sure that's it, but that's what it smells like on my skin). It's really sexy once the burnt sugar phase passes.

In the bottle, boozy and sweet, with just a hint of musk.

Wet, sugar sugar sugar, and again, just a little musk. This needs warming, I can tell.

Dry, oh my yes! The musk has come to play! The sugar has mostly gone, and I'm left with deep sweet musk. Yay for having a whole bottle!

Mine is Smut '08...

and WOWSERS, this goes on strong at first. A little bit *too* strong, perhaps.. I had an "uh oh" moment there where I thought this was just too boozy for me. But then it settles in, and goes all musky powdery sugary sexy yumminess.. I think the name is entirely appropriate.

I'm glad I fund a dark sugar/booze blend that powders down nicely - I find Smut to be similar to others I've tried with that same kinda feel (it reminds me of Sugar Skull mostly) but they all stayed really rum/booze/sugar on me. This mellows out really nicely for me, in a very similar way to how the cocoa in Gelt goes all soft and dreamy.

Smut indeed.. very nice for nights involving lots of snuggling :smile:

This is for Smut 08.

Smut is probrably one of the most talked about BPAL blends on the forum so I had to get it when I got my chance in 08. Its been....quite a few months and im still trying to figure it out o.O I cant figure out what I'm smelling and what it reminds me of and it drives me simply mad! I'm a fan of musk- some musk. Like the musk in Croquet I will go head-over-heels for any day while some are to strong. Smut is juuussttt right but I wouldnt have minded if it was a little stronger. I dont really detect boozy-ness to this blend like with the Luau Bar blends. Smut almost smells like a slightly boozy/musky sweet tart. If you took Tiki Queen, toned down the floral and made it seem a bit dirty thats Smut to me. I like this blend but its not one of my faves. If your new and you havent tried a Smut yet you deffinently should ;)

I didn't want to believe it, but there really is something about Smut that's reminiscent of a latex glove when I wear it.

Smells perfect in the bottle and during the first seconds after applying, but now I'm getting a little sugar, some vaguely fruity booze, an undercurrent of musk... and an almighty smack in the face from a latex glove.

This might be because it's... Shark Week for me (sorry) and

my chemistry may be all out of whack at the moment, so I could try again later to make sure. Or finally get a scent locket. ;)

I do love the concept and the name (!!) as well as the pretty bottle art, but this may not be the one for me. Has to be the first time that my skin chemistry has really surprised me!

ETA how odd. I tested Smut 2006 in my elbow (that's the review above) but on my wrist, a decant (not sure what year this one is) is missing the sweaty latex and is much closer to what I was hoping for. Perhaps this could be due to a difference in batches/aging, or maybe location on the skin itself? :think: This requires further investigation... :P

Edited by MisterShrapnel

Musk, musk mmmmmmmmmmmmmusk! :)

and booze.

That is Smut '06 in a nutshell for me. I love it! I get lots of red musk in particular out of it. Awesome :wub2:

i received a bottle of smut '06 from ladyjc and let me tell you....

its like drinking/sitting in a bar with candy. LOVE IT. i'll use it sparingly because i dont want to get rid of my bottle - must find the equivalent in the gc catalog but geez - this is definately a very nice sensuous sweet musk that applied comes off sweet and musky and wet more musk than anything.

get it. you cant go wrong.

Edited by magikalbrownies

Bottle: Vaguely rank. Musk and sweet booze. Rum, maybe? Rum/cognac blend? Very sweet and sugary.

Wet: Hooboy, Smut amps up something strong on me and I am a ball of booze and red musk. I'm a total yes on the red musk but the sweet booze is a little overwhelming. Sometimes I get a hint of that latexy smell but I think it's partially psychsomatic. I never smelled latex until someone else pointed it out.

Dry: Oh, baby! This is a perfect dark red musk with a swirl of sweet booziness, a touch of sweet tart and an overall sensual skin scent. It smells very indulgent and rich. And dark. Very, very dark. Conjures up images of a very powerful but wicked woman carried about her palace on a sedan by slave bloys. Which is... specific, but there you go.

Throw: Good. Intense for the first hour or so and then backs down into a general haze around me. A close aura of scent.

Overall: You gotta appreciate a little well done smut. This is a beautiful luxurient blend. It definitely deserves all the hype.

Bottle: Smut 08 is sweet boozy musk

Wet on Me: The color is dark..the color of a booze..a sweet booze. A Man’s booze.

Drying Down: This is strong but not overpowering. But it sure let’s you know its there. I get more musk now. Why do I get a total speakeasy vibe out of this. Or a slightly tipsy nooner vibe?

Dry: This is still a boozy nooner and it is total love. It’s sex in the backseat after a drunken party…it’s fabulous!

Wet: Vanilla and spice?

First on: Like sex, which is fitting.

Dry: Nice, but Snake Charmer is similar but better.

In the vial: Very sweet & slightly boozy

Wet: Sweet, musky, slightly nutty

Dry: Boozy, sweet & powdery

Overall: I like this but it smells a bit too baby powdery for me.

In the bottle: Dark booze and sugar and sex.

On my skin: The booze is even stronger now, but it's a subdued smell, not sharp like most alcoholic notes seem to be. Warm, sexy, musky. Sex on a leather couch after a few drinks. Mmm Smut. I'm sorry, what were we talking about?

This is for the 2006 version.

In the bottle: Sugar, red musk, boozy vanilla.

Wet on skin: The same, sweet boozy red musk.

Dry on skin: Sexy, sweet, dangerous boozy vanilla musks.

Final thoughts: Oh, I love you. You're my number one, you're my holy grail, you sophisticated Smut. Richer darker than the more recent versions, Smut 2006 is dangerous on me. It sticks to my body like a second skin! I got my first bottle in 2008, so the blend had time to age, and it ages well! The red musk is dark, still fruity but not tart. The vanilla & booze melt together. While not a complex perfume, it's still my favorite and the one someone will have to pry from my cold dead hands.

This is for the 2007 & 2008 versions, as I find them quite similar.

In the bottle: Sugared vanilla.

Wet on skin: Sugared vanilla & fresh red musk.

Dry on skin: Alcohol-tinged sugared vanilla, with fresh red musk.

Final thoughts: I'm still wondering why I didn't review this blend before, I love Smut. This is my ultimate perfume. I first glanced upon the description and the words "MUST HAVE NOW" appeared in my head, with flashing neons. It didn't disapoint when I received it and it started my obsession with hoarding the scent. It's great for layering, adding a sugared boozy vanilla feel, or alone as a sexy seductive scent. It's been tried & approved!

Smut is pretty heart breaking for me. For the first 4 or so hours, it's quite unpleasant - a faint peanut butter smell, as others have mentioned before, but otherwise a sort of strong, kind've bitter scent. I can't really describe it, but it's not great. Then! After waiting for 4 or 5 hours, it turns into the most glorious, delicious, I want to eat my own arm vanilla. But it's so difficult to have to wait for hours before it arrives, since it's not something I'd want to wear around other people. I've been aging my 08 bottle in hopes of improvement, but no luck. I think I will keep my imp for the rare occasions I want to wait and wear it, but sell my bottle.

Wet on my skin, this smelled to me like chocolate cherry cordials! It's very deep, rich, incense-like/smoky chocolate, with wisps of very sugared cherries.

After it had been on a my skin a few hours, I found that this alternated between lightly foody, to more perfume-esque, similar to what I remember my grandmother's perfume smelling like when I was younger.

This scent doesn't meld lightly into my space, it grabs you by the face and says "Hey look at me! Tell me I smell good!" I would definitely grab for this on nights I'm feeling sexy and slightly dangerous.

Edited by satinworship

Wet: Sweet and musky with almost a pink bubble gum scent mixed in. :yum:

Dry: It is very simillar to my nose to Jean Paul Gualtier perfume (the one shaped like a woman's torso). This is not a bad thing! It stays fairly consistent (a tiny bit less sweet) but the throw and lasting power are really good.

Overall: I sought out and bought JP Gualtier years ago after hearing Howard Stern ask a guest what scent she was wearing. He said it smelled delicious and what he imagined a stripper to smell like. (There are many occasions in which one would benefit from smelling like an exotic dancer :lol: ) So I like it. A lot. :D

i have been wanting to try smut foreverrrr, and thanks to one lovely girl (whom i enabled!) i was finally recently able to. :)

after some hours of wearing this one, i have to say (with much regret) that smut is definitely more appealing to me while still in the bottle. everyone is comparing it to snake oil, and from what i remember of snake oil i agree, but where snake oil didn't agree with me, smut is warm and boozy, subtly foody. uh oh. "foody" worries me. :(

sure enough, once it hits my skin it just becomes too overwhelmingly foody, &even the boozy notes (which i love in theory - i haven't tried enough oils with booze notes yet to really determine if they work for me) just become too much for me. all in all, smut really does make me woozy! just not in the way i had hoped. :(

off to a better home for this one.

ETA; eep, i'm so sorry for the multiple posts! the forums were acting up while i was attempting to submit, but i guess that my attempts actually went through each time, unbeknownst to me. :( apologies!

Edited by undream

This is for the 2007 (reissued at Cobwebs III) version. I originally had a bottle of this and something about it didn't work for me at first. Too heavy or something, I don't know, and I sold my bottle. Well, later I regretted it and got another bottle. This is better than I remember. The red musk is really heavy but not cloying and it reminds me of Snake Charmer. Moral of the story for me: Don't sell a bottle until I've tried it throughout a whole year!

06 Smut

I had been wanting this for a while and happened upon it in a very generous swap... Ever since I saw comparisons to snake charmer/snake oil its been a must have.

Upon intial sniff from bottle I'm getting a lot of booze, strong booze, like a brown liquor (which I dont drink cause I get .. mm... silly:lol:) I do like the booze on my skin, Im a big fan of the strong wanda/perversion/lilith variety, but this is different its a hardcore booze.

It softens on the skin to something that yes, does actually resemble snake charmer in a way, the powdery musk, but that booze makes it altogether different.

Its like a lighter inebriated snake charmer on me and I'm definately not dissapointed.

Stunning!

Yum :wub2:

This scent is one I knew I'd love, me being a red musk lover and seeing it mentioned in the reviews so much. I was particularly scared of the "Boozy" aspect. Thankfully I'm not getting that at all.

Firsty I get a big whoosh of Red Musk. (Yay) and I also get a slightly nutty vibe from this, kind of like the nuttyness of Sed Non Satiata (Another love of mine). The nuttyness is only slight though. I'm liking this alot and can say it's in the same family as Spellbound, Marianne, Scherezade, Snake Charmer. Red musk rules!!

Once it dies down a bit the other musks come out, now this is more like soft..feathery musk with a dark twist. This is a winning blend. Now it's more like the tail end of Snake Oil on me. The dry stage where it gets soft and powdery.

I have no boozyness to speak of yet, which I'm thankful for.

This blend makes me think of darkened rooms with naughty things going on in the wet stage and then soft cuddles when the lights come on in the dry stage!

Edited by ouch!

This takes a while to settle on me, but I'm real glad I gave it a chance. For the first 5 or so minutes I had it on, the booze and musk and sugar rabidly competing with each other so I was getting something different every half a second and it confused me to death. I gave up and let it go for another 5 or so minutes, and then I got what I was hoping for: the three entwine in a harmonious blend that's equal parts boozy, musky and sugary, and a hundred percent downright sexy. It gets even better as it dries down more--a really steamy and "touch me" scent. Smut indeed, heh heh :twisted:

My nose is overwhelmed at the moment by Smut, Midnight Kiss and snake charmer. They are similar in my horrible memory, but comparing them side by side, they are so different. :lol:

I have Smut 08 and on my skin, I get sugar/sweet vanilla, musk and the booze in a harmonious blend. It is a sweet lovely scent that is mainly sugar and booze on me. The musk note is still lurking around but compared to snake charmer, it isn't that obvious. Unfortunately, it doesn't last long (~2 hour) on me.

Smut is stunningly sexy and it is not a subtle scent. Wear, the Smut, with caution. :twisted:

Edited by aiko

I should've reviewed this ages ago! :blush:

In bottle: sharply boozy with a slightly fruity undertone and plenty of musk.

Wet on skin: It's warm, still slightly fruity and now I'm getting vanilla musks under the booze.

Drydown: The longer this is on, the more subtle it gets, the scents start to really come together instead of competing for the top spot. This is the sexiest BPAL I've ever had.

Dry:Sweet, vanilla-boozy musk that has the tiniest hint of leather underneath. Still sexy as hell.

This is one of my must-have favourites, I hope it comes back in 2010 so I can hoard like it's never coming back.