Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Medieval romance and courtly love. White rose and soft resins.

Bottle: Resinous white rose. Pretty true to form.

Wet: White rose is very tempermental on me, and Parlemont of Foules is no exception. The rose goes sour and the resins are dragged down with it.

Dry: It bounces back a bit when it's dry. The rose is still sharp, but it's a bit less... erm, gross. The resins are soft and overall it's a fairly pretty scent.

Throw: Minimal. Only for snuggling.

Overall: Sigh. I was hoping that Geoffrey Chaucer could save me from the white rose catastophe with some of his epic poetry. I'm not too fussy--this will be amazing mixed with a carrier oil and used as a body mist.

This is absolutely gorgeous!

I was expecting it to be something like Peacock Queen but it's BETTER than that! Can't smell the resin though..

It reminds me of a natural perfume I bought from the top of a mountain many moons back. I'll be keeping this one forever. :P

wet/in the bottle: soft white roses.

dry: spiced roses it has an ok staying power. i did need to re-apply before heading out to a smoke filled dance club

this scent was the one i received the most compliments on. it's not over powering and it's quite refreshing for summer and beautiful for weddings.

my friend was standing next to me at the cigarette smoke filled club trying to figure out what i smelled like, eventually i had to tell her and then then it was "OH!!! that's EXACTLY what you smell like" (spiced white roses)

i'm certainly thankful the resins didn't over power the rose and didn't turn into rose band-aid smell. this rose/resin combo behaved quite well on me. i'm certainly glad i picked up 2 bottles of this

Parlement of Foules is a breath of pure white rose petals dressed in a delicate cloud of myrrh resins. Stunningly simple!

This is just getting better and better as it sits on my skin. I applied about an hour and a half ago and it's really blossoming now. Good throw and the rose reminds me of one of my favorite BPAL roses, Moon Rose. I'm also wearing Midnight Mass on the other arm and the blend of these two is freaking amazing! :P

In the vial: Sweet, slightly tart rose.

Wet: Sweet with the "jammy" note, or like really good rose water. Mutating toward more complexity by the second, though, as the sweetness turns richer and more intense.

Twenty minutes: Very strong rose. There's an underlying something I haven't puzzled out yet, but mostly it's a particular rose note. I like it, but it's a little simplistic.

One hour: Not as strong now, but very fragrant. I can get more of the resin now; it's a little spicy, like amber. I like this.

Two hours: Very nice. Subtle, gentle. Not a lot of throw, but very pleasant the closer you get to it.

Three hours: Soft, sweet, warm rose-resin. Definitely romantic rather then sexy.

Four hours: Still nice, but starting to lose the rose.

Six hours: Faint now, more resin than rose.

I'm glad I have a bottle of this!

Edited by hlinspjalda

I would truly love to know what resins were included in this blend!

In the vial: a lovely rose scent.

Wet: chimney smoke!

Dry: smoke from a pile of rosewood.

My skin chemistry had a field day with this.

[08 version]

I avoided this at first because I wasn't sure if I would really got for a light, delicate [supposed] scent, but I think this has become my favorite rose and resin blend of the moment. (The reason I love BPAL is you can get whatever you want. You don't just have A rose and resin choice, you have severail.)

This is very much the gentler, sweeter, more delicate sister of Rose Cross. Rose Cross is heavy, voluptuous red rose and thick, smoky resins. Tabula Smaragdina is rose with lighter incense and woods.

The rose in Parlement of Foules is light and soft, definitely a more innocent sort of blossom. But it still retains a substantial "rose" character, unlike tea rose, to my nose. The resins are fuzzy and a little smoky, but not heavy or overtly incensey. Although this is a more delicate scent, rose and resins always bring a richness that keep it from being overly faint and shy. It's really lovely and very wearable. Very lady-like but not matronly. It kind of blends in and smells natural, in as much as anyone naturally smells of roses. It doesn't scream "perfume!"

The rose note sticks around, faintly, for a long time, but in general, I have to call this short lived. Once dry, the throw is a bit soft and the wear-life is only a couple of hours.

**Also, be sure to roll your bottle well before applying from it, because I can see in my decant that a darker oil settles at the bottom.**

The 2008 version.

As a rose amper, I have to say that this rose is nice and innocent and not quite as voluptous, as a say a red rose. Definitely white. Creamy and very nice. The incense base makes a nice grounding of it.

Pleasant.

ETA: This is a review of the 2008 version.

In the bottle: Oh, this is yummy! White rose on top, the resins as a base note.

Wet: Very sweet, just as in the bottle. The rose and the resins are working together and blending together so well.

The dry-down: This scent is lovely, and does not really morph. However, it seems to be fading fast. If you like this, you might like the White Rose from the Unity Set. I studied medieval history and literature at university, so any perfume that evokes Chaucer is right up my alley. I just wish that it lasted longer. I think that I will try it in my scent locket and see if it will hopefully last longer.

ETA: PoF has become a skin scent; I have to put my nose to my wrist to smell it, but it's still lovely.

Edited by thekittenkat

Wet: a very true and realistic rose, but much softer than Rose Red. It has a sweetness to it but the sweetness is from the rose itself, not any extra sweet notes

As it dries: The resin comes out more. I think it is myrrh -- a soft bitterness that balances the sweetness of the rose. The resins are a little bit earthy, a little bit spicy but not like a kitchen spice.

Dry: I applied it in the crook of my elbow and I can smell it wafting around me, but only for the first forty minutes or so. After that it is more of a skin scent. It doesn't last more than two hours on me but my skin eats scent.

I have a couple of bottles of this and it has become a favorite. A great scent for work or to feel romantic.

Edited by Myrrha

2008 version

Delicate rose and thick, golden resins. It reminds me alot of the Unity Set. The rose is at first the only thing that I can smell. Once it has time to dry the resins appear and together they morph into a stunning blend.

Oh wow, I'm in bliss! I have to admit, when I first tried it, I was a little put out, because I think I was expecting something different, so I kind of left it for a while. A few days. So I tried it on today (hmm, which one of my what-seems-like-a-thousand-imps should I try?) because I thought I hadn't given it much of a chance.

And, WOW!!!! This is one of the strongest rose scents I have tried so far, PLENTY of throw, and very very soft, smooth, ROMANTIC, like something out of a fairytale. A scent from heaven! I feel like someone just handed me an enourmous armful of big, fat rose flower heads- no stems, no leaves, no thorns, just the flower heads, fragrant, sweet, angelic! It smells like bottled kisses. Sweet, loving, erotic kisses. Like that feeling you get when you kiss someone, and they taste better than anything you have ever tasted!

It makes me feel even more in love with life, and my only regret is that I only have one bottle. I will cherish this bottle, and pray that Beth brings out some more... But then just like roses themselves, I guess the most beautiful things in this world don't last. Such is the nature of life.

Decant, uncertain year.

I love birds, the Parliament of Fowls poem, and this scent had me at "medieval romance and courtly love". ^_^ Looking forward to this!

In imp: Earthy and resinous with a high vibe that must be rose. Hmm, this is similar to The Last Rose of Summer.

On skin: Sweet resins with a tender touch the white roses. The sweetness is quite gentle and a bit creamy. Light, smooth, delicate and graceful, quite feminine. It's almost identical to The Last Rose of Summer, perhaps a bit lighter, simpler, and not as earthy. Over time it seems to darken and become more resinous and earthy, probably as the rose notes burn off. Another successful rose blend -- which is a relief! I can wear rose and enjoy it! :biggrin:

Verdict: I was quite excited about Parlement of Foules, so I'm really glad it works on me and fits the theme of courtly love. However, I don't see myself wearing it often, and The Last Rose of Summer is more interesting. I may just hang on to my decant for sentimental reasons. :wub:

Bottle: Roses with resins, much as the description says. This reminds me strongly of something, but I'm not sure what.

Wet: Almost soapy rose. A little sour.

Drydown: White rose with a little sour, resiny tint. This is surprising me with how much I like it.

Dry: Just a nice, clean, white rose with a bit of resin edge. It's slightly soapier than the rose in Rose Red, but it's a pretty nice blend.

Would I ever wear this? Maybe.

My rating: 4/5

Upon application, all I smell is rose. It's a fairly sharp rose that's just a little soft around the edges. As it dries the resins take over. I can mainly smell amber, and something else -- maybe myrrh. Something in this smells a little acrid on my skin (yeah, probably the amber), so I'm not sure I'll want to keep it. My skin doesn't often do well with amber, sadly, so probably on the right person the drydown would be amazing.

Ham...white rose..and frankincense. I don't know where the Ham came in...but on my skin the 2011 version smells like Ham, very little white rose, and frankincense. This has got to go. :rasp:

This review is for the 2011 version.

In the bottle: White rose and some resins, maybe a hint of frankincense?

Wet: Much the same as when sniffed.

The dry-down: Just like the 2008 version, this scent stays the same from bottle through drying. Very much a white rose grounded in resins. Still getting the hint of frankincense. This may be a little different from the 2008 version, but not by much.

2011 version:

Soft, lovely, gentle white rose with hints of the resins..this isn't incredibly strong on me but it does last a looooong time on. I wore it to bed and woke up and it was still there!

I have White Rose from the TP from the Unity Set and this is like it's more refined older sister. It's a cuddle scent ;)

2011: The resins in here are almost medicinal on me at first, the white rose softens them slightly. It settles into equal parts resins (still a bit harsh) and white rose.

Edited by cfrancesca

Terribly sour on me; smells a bit like mulch, actually. I think white rose does this sometimes and there must be frankincense in there with the resins, because this is doing that thing frankincense likes to do on me. I may try this as a room scent.

I think this would be ideal for anyone skeptical about rose who wants to test-drive it. The rose isn't sharp or loud, just soft white rose on a bed of sweet resins, though mostly rose.

Parlemount of Foules 2011

Bottle Soft white florals, ROSE, and a little bit of resin.

Wet on Skin: It's a little softer, basically can't smell any resin. The rose comes out and plays more. Really love it.

Dry: Very light, very soft, very rose... It's nice and warm and I love it.

Overall 4.5/5 I like this more than 2008's version, I think. Definitely getting a bottle. If you're a friend of florals, but don't want to smell old ladylike, try this.