Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Medieval romance and courtly love. White rose and soft resins.

Parlement of Foules is soft, sweet rose on me. The white rose isn’t as strong and lurid as red rose, and I believe it’s sweeter. I don’t pick up much on the “resins” note until a good hour or so after dry-down, and even then, it’s very soft and only discernible because I read the Lab description and knew what to look for. This is a pretty scent that I probably won’t wear often, but which will be perfect for certain occasions like attending weddings and a nice night out with my husband.

White rose must be sweeter than red because this is very much sweeter than the other roses I've tried (Rose Red, Love in the Asylum, Venus...). This is also a much softer rose scent. it takes some time for the resins to show up but they are present. Parlement of Foules is a much more approachable rose, less haughty. About the same time the resins show up, a very bitter green scent also appears. Another perfect rose scent!

bottle:

tea rose

wet:

mild tea rose

dry:

same - never got resiney, although it is a mild/grounded blend

overall:

nice but I'm not big on roses (says the girl who now likes kurukulla.... :P)

rating: 6/10

Mmm… roses. Gads how I love BPAL’s rose blends. I don’t care what else is in it, rose always makes it better. On me this smells almost just like a rose SN. Very heavy on the rose but it’s not heady… if that makes sense. It’s not overwhelmingly roses. I catch a faint whiff of spicy sweetness in the background that mingles with the roses wonderfully without disturbing their own beauty. Wonderful wonderful scent. I’m a little upset that I didn’t buy a bottle when I had the chance and kept putting it off. I think that now I’ve learned me lesson and anything BPAL with rose in it is immediately getting a full bottle to start with.

Fresh/budding rather than ripe rose, woody rather than leafy background. Parlement takes a while to develop the balance between rose and resin, but eventually gets there. I think this is much better on drydown when the resins start to rally. So grateful to be able to try this gift-imp.

In the vial: Roses and wine. Yum!

On the skin: Honey-roses with red wine. Very yummy. There's an incense note, turns into some woodsey. It's a strong scent, womanly for sure. Roses are almost yes or no with me; this reminds me of a few of the rose bushes we had when I was a kid. Specifically the more exotic ones. This is a nice one, a nice rose, "lovey-dovey" kind of scent. Excellent!

First sniff: This is… this is… confusing the hell out of me, is what it is. Roses and resins? Two of the most hit-or-miss scent categories ever. So why do I adore this? It smells delicious. And juicy. A ripe fruit with the scent of the most perfect rose.

Wearing: I’m still getting that inexplicable juiciness. The roses are definitely there, but the scent is so oddly fruity. It’s very strange for a rose scent, and I really, really like it. :P

In the bottle, the softest rose you ever smelled, so faint.

On skin, the same though as it is drying down the rose scent comes forth a bit more. You can barely smell this on but what I do smell is absolutely gorgeous. I adore roses and soft sweet roses are simply divine!

fab, fab, fab!!!

The most gorgeous of roses and resin (is this myrrh or frankincense?) I am hoping that it is myrrh because then I will be completely sure that myrrh and I are destined to be together.

This one is just plain beautiful and it is a wonderful and unusual twist on a rose doninated scent.

So glad I have a bottle of this one. Now I just need to find a back-up...

I love white roses. They are such a delicate, light, alive scent. Here is no exception. It is light and floaty. The resins complement beautifully, and ground it to my wrist. Even DH, who does not care for florals, commented that I smelled beautiful, as he climbed in bed next to me. :P

This is lovely. If it was still available I'd be placing an order for a bottle right now. Alas, I'm nearly a year too late to BPAL for this puppy, so I'll just enjoy my imp until it is gone. I think this may be my perfect rose...sob...

Wet: Strong rose with a spicy background. Can pick out the resins as an incense note.

Dry: The scents blend and the rose pulls back a bit. The effect is a spicy, incense-y rose, but it seems natural, like one of the roses bred for scent.

Finish: Rosy spice.

Throw/Duration: Good throw, about a foot away from my body at the 2-hour mark. Still strong after 8 hours.

Roses and Resins? Two categories that always seem to go either hit or miss with me. But this? Sweet, sensual, fleeting and romantic. There is white rose, not soapy but just enough to give the blend a lilting feeling. The resins sweeten and make the rose behave if roses tend to go soapy with your skin as well. After having the bottle for almost a year now, it has gotten better. The resins are syrupy thick and the rose while still not as pronounced is a bit stronger with a bit of a green edge. If you didn't like Parlement before, try it again. You'll be surprised.

in vial: soft rose, something smoky

wet: incense is coming out already. warm and lovely.

drydown: there's something unpleasent here. smoky resins and florals, but the florals are dying.

later: rotten flowers. Eep.

Pshaw, I bought this bottle new last year and never reviewed? I'm a flake :P

In bottle: rose soaps

On skin: lots of roses, but not the wallop that Rose Red packs (in a good way! :D)

Half-hour later: dusty rose

In conclusion: this blend is simple and straightforward. I am a devoted fan of the BPAL Roses and this does not disappoint. The dry, musty resins are a beautiful complement to the roses.

There's rose in this?

Something about my skin turns it into a sharp, almost orange-like scent. Vaguely like orange Tang. :P

Very confused.

Roses and frankincense in the imp. The roses are lovely on my skin until the frankincense hits them over the head and crushes them into the ground.

@~#*% frankincense :P

When it's wet, it smells almost entirely of resin. A woody, sweet, kind of sticky scent. When it's dry I guess the white rose comes out a little more, but to be honest I'm not sure that I'd be able to tell this had rose in it. It has a nice floral sweetness but it's not easily identifiable to me as rose.

I happen to be testing Peacock Queen at the same time I have this one on, and I like that one better, so I won't be keeping this bottle.

Parlement of Foules is the first rose scent I ever fell in love with. I put it on and I immediately smelled lush white roses with that cool, crisp quality to the petals. On top of that, my skin warms the scent until the resins come out and they make the perfect soft complement to the white roses.

I rated this a 5 out of 5 in my scent review spreadsheet.

I got this when it first came out, and just haven’t gotten around to reviewing it until now.

In the bottle, this is exactly what it says it is: a lot of resins underscored with a light, pretty rose.

On my skin, this turns very sweet (as a lot of things tend to do with my chemistry). I’m no good at picking out notes, but this is in the same vein as Seraphim or Rose Cross, in that it’s really very “holy” smelling to my nose, with a bit of pretty floral. This is one of the first LEs I ever bought, and I’m still glad I did – I still find it very lovely.

Parlement of Foules is a Lupercalia scent I wished would return this year, but thankfully I was able to track down a second bottle.

This scent reminds me of pressing my face into an heirloom white rose at full flower at a local arboretum. The white rose has a quiet purity. It is much different to me than many other BPAL rose notes, which seem sharper and higher. There is an edge of sweetness as flirty as a lace ruffle on a party dress. There is a touch of green in the backround that reminds me of looking at a white rose petal in direct sun when the thin vein of green is visible.

The incense smells churchy to me. It's impossible for me to separate frankincense from a Cathedral. It reminds me of the scent of Catholic wedding with roses decorating the bridal bouquet and altar centerpiece while frankincense curls its perfumed snakes through the air. Growing stronger as it ages, the incense note balances with the rose. I love Parlement of Foules in the locket. The incense acquires an almost peppery brightness while the rose complements in classical beauty.

Rich, musty, smoky rose. The rose is heady and bold, but blanketed by the spicy incense. It's a warm, thick scent. It feels very, very aged (which is somewhat true since this is an older bottle). I love rose in any form, and this has a lovely ancient feeling. This is a close skin scent and it doesn't have a lot of throw. But it's powerful nonetheless.

I adore this!

Because the description cites "white roses" I was worried that I wouldn't like this as much of the other rose blends, but the resins work perfectly to make this a pert and spicy floral. There is nothing grandmotherly about this rose!

This is totally strange but on me from a distance of greater than 8 or so inches Parlement of Foules smells almost exactly like Midwinter's Eve does. But up close it smells like a very resiny and incensey rose. This scent is also really sort lived on me, after about 40 minutes it's gone.

I like the part that smells like Midwinter's Eve, but I'm afraid it's off to the swap bin for Parlement of Foules.