Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Brings you new opportunities, shows you alternate paths, and breaks down barriers.

This is the High Holy Precioussss, right here. I have just a bit to use when I majorly need it, and it came at a perfect time. Brian and I both feel stuck in our work situations, so I am ready for new roads to open for us both.

Road Opener smells...comforting. Smoky and deep, slightly sweet. At a guess--molasses? Or a touch of honey mixed with dark resins? And a touch of spice, possibly cinnamon. There's also a definite breath of lavender--bracing and sharp. Softer / soapier on the drydown. I adore this. It smells reassuring but strong, like a tough grandma who won't let you let yourself down, if that makes sense. I can just see her going out and bitch-slapping the world for me 'til the right results come in. :P Edited by Shollin

Hmmm, I get some very different notes from this one than Laurel does... At first this is a purely minty oil on me - but one I actually like (Lick It is the only other mint I like, this is similar at first, but with no vanilla at all and a less sugary sweetness). I think my nose might be confusing something else with mint though, because while this does smell minty to me it's not really any mint I could identify - it's sort of pepperminty but not sharp at all, the way peppermint is . After a few minutes, the mintiness settles down and a sweetness comes out, but not a sugary sweetness - more of a touch of smoky honey. This is calm and reassuring, but at the same time very invigorating - I can see how this could be used to give you the confidence to move forward. Seeing as I just got a new car and am taking it on a roadtrip tomorrow, it's really perfect.

Y'know what, I'm getting a strong Grandma vibe from this too, and I just figured out why (don't worry, it's not an old lady smell at all) - it reminds me of my Grandmother, probably my favorite person ever, because it smells almost exactly like Ricola herbal cough drops (the original ones) which she adored and would always dole out the second your voice got scratchy. Soooo happy and reassuring. I love it!!

Edited by allidavie

My nose is getting a minty smell too - I thought it had a very York Peppermint Patty scent, chocolate mint, but without seeming like a foodie scent. I agree with allidavie that the mint is not sharp, but there is a trigeminal sensation from the mint note. There is also a slight undertone of lavender beneath, but it comes out separate from the chocolate mint. The scent is bracing, like breathing in fresh cold air.

I was decanting a bit of Road Opener for a forum swap, and a little bit of the oil dribbled down the imp bottle I was using. I touched it to my wrist and rubbed it to the other wrist slightly and inhaled.

The mint mentioned in the two previous postings smells like pennyroyal to me, and there is a heavier base, but I can't really comment on it as it doesn't linger long on my skin.

I actually was close to swooning when I took in the scent of Road Opener. BPAL this ain't! I did a small request while inhaling Road Opener, as I felt I couldn't let the properties of this oil go to waste, even if it's light spillage from a decant.

After five minutes, my wrist has a smell that is lightly powdery, like roses. The smell of the pennyroyal and other fragrances have left quite suddenly.

Whenever I do begin to do ritual work with this oil, I will try to remember to add to this review about what I did and for what purpose, etc. For now, my verdict: pennyroyal and otherworldiness. I still feel a bit wobbly and light.

-doreen

straight sniff from bottle is definitely a sweet chocolate andes mint....the mint

is not at all sharp...applied there is a delicate rose that gets amped up immediately....strong and long lasting as well...i will be wearing this and using it with all the good intentions it has to break down barriers and bring on new opportunities :P

I am currently in desperate need of new opportunities, so I was excited and slightly cautious about wearing this one. New opportunities could also be a scary thing. I put some Road Opener on and tried to think about what I want out of my life or what I wish were slightly different... and nothing has really come to me yet, but I'll keep trying. I suppose that if I think about it enough, answers will work themselves out in my mind.

I was hoping to get the mint chocolate fragrance that others have mentioned from this... and while I get a soft mint, this doesn't smell chocolatey on me. Soft mint and something cool and powdery (perhaps roses gone to powder on me?). Not my sort of scent but it is sort of grounding for me and helps me think a bit more outside of my usual passive/pathetic sensibilities.

I'm really bad at identifying notes so I'm not going to say anything about the scent, except that I liked it.

I ordered Road Opener so I could use it during a 2500 mile solo road trip. You might think I was being too literal with the name of the oil, but I felt like this was a situation where I really needed to be open to possibilities. I get lost easily, so I tend to be very stressed and rigid when driving in strange places. I need everything to go exactly as expected or I get really upset & fearful of getting lost. Plus I'd never been on such a long trip by myself before.

So, I wore Road Opener on every travel day. I do think it made a difference: I really felt more relaxed and less afraid of uncertainty. I had lots of interesting conversations with random people, which I'm not usually so good at, and was able to treat the arrangements more spontaneously without feeling like my trip was ruined if something didn't turn out just right. A couple of times I did get lost, and was able to find my way without freaking out about it.

I don't think the oil brought out a quality in me that wasn't already there, or made things happen by magic. It just, I don't know, helped me remember how I wanted to approach the experience. I don't know if that makes sense, but I found purposeful use of this oil very successful.

I annointed an orange candle with this oil, and was really careful to perform my candle ritual during the waxing moon. I am looking for a manuscript of mine to be accepted at the publisher I just sent it to (academic work). I was working with both the Fire and Air Elementals, so in addition to my candle, I put on some instrumental music and sang a couple of chants I had made up about my intentions. (Both help me to focus. I am very distractable.) I alternated facing the east and the south.

I am currently letting the candle burn down. It is right by the drafty window in my study, because that's a good eastern-most location in my home. Oddly, considering the breeze, it isn't even flickering.

As I used it, I felt strangely charged and filled with light, like I was hovering.

The room is filling with a smell that is both herby and minty.

(Wow, big gust of wind there and the candle didn't even move.)

I base my rituals on ideas from The Candle Magick Workbook, and always love to hear ideas from others :>

Trying to finish up a lot of things in the next week and a half -- major life stuff and minor annoyances. Feeling blocked at almost every turn, unlike the flow that's been happening over the past few months -- it's almost like a Mercury retro feeling, though that doesn't happen for another couple of weeks. So, let's try this oil! Pennyroyal is a good guess, like an herbal flea-dip, or tea-tree oil, and I also get a strong presence of what seems like wintergreen, definitely minty. I anointed my hands and then my head/hair. The scent definitely clears the air and opens your eyes! I can feel the intentional energy quite strongly, and a feeling that this needs to be continued over a period of some days, including when I'm sleeping. I'll report back on how it works!

In Bottle: Mint

On Skin: It starts with a sharp mint with a sweet undertone. Pepperminty, kind of like Lick It. Underneathe there is something I can’t quite figure out, but it’s a little “funky”. A little metallic making me think it’s something herbal. I love the intent of this oil. I used it and I actually had a breakthrough on how to handle a problamatic situation that’s been bothering me. The imp was worth it just for that! I’m excited to try it out again. This oil has a strong throw and a powerful wearlength.

I am finding Road Opener very helpful so far. It gives me a cooling sensation that's very pleasant and inspiring, even tingly. It makes me want to get out and explore. As another example of an almost-too-literal interpretation of "Road Opener", when I've used the oil I have driven down different streets and always have found new and interesting places. On one of these trips I met a fellow musician who told me about a new music equipment store that had everything I've needed and hadn't been able to find locally or affordably. The alone opens a lot of paths for me. I can think of many other uses for this terrific oil.

Oh, and as far as how it smells, for me it's strong, sinus-clearing mint. There might be some menthol and eucalyptus. I get pennyroyal, too - minty/bitter/metallic. It's strong enough to work just applied to my palms and smelled, although it does not have a great deal of staying power there. It seems to work particularly well when it's also applied to the back of my neck, where I can feel a skin-tingling push.

Road Opener

The scent: this is a very, very pleasant scent to me. At first it's very much a peppermint scent, very cool and fresh, only a little bit greener, more like peppermint leaves than peppermint sweets. Then I also got something that I think is geranium, and the scent ended up smelling a bit like Lush Aura Suavis, which I love.

The intent: I am looking for a summer job. For students like me who are only off from June/July-September, it's near impossible to find a summer job and I have no idea where to look. So I thought this oil would be perfect to open some opportunities for jobs-be they existing ones (there are a few places that may consider me) or completely new ones.

I dressed a green candle, visualising me finding job adverts in the local newspapers, or being accepted at jobs I have applied for, saying to myself 'bring opportunities, bring choices, bring opportunities for jobs and give me choices for things to do to keep me busy for the holidays'. I was amazed at the warm tingling I felt in my hands as I did this-a kind of intentional energy, it felt very powerful, very positive, empowering. This oil is powerful and has a lot of 'oomph' to it, I could really feel it. I then took a copy of my CV, dabbed some Road Opener on it, and placed it under the candle as it burnt, and placed my hands with the oil on it, so that my energy and that of the oil would flow into it. Hopefully something good will come out of this.

I really like all the other suggestions for RO on this thread and might give them a try when I use this oil again. I think I will get a bottle.

So, umm... this stuff works. Quite well, and in unexpected ways.

To me it smells rather minty and herbal, not quite zingy but definately a bright scent... although I wasn't really concentrating because I was hurriedly applying it in an airplane bathroom (long story). I was meeting a group of people who are distant but important to me, and wanted to find some new pathways in relation to them. I applied it to my heart, throat, fore and crown chakras and concentrated on those people and going in different directions, *any* different directions, with them.

It was almost immediately effective: a few highly improbable and distinctly new changes occurred with a couple of people. I was surprised at how effective it was, and it actually ended up staying with me for the whole weekend, that sense of new paths and openings stretching out before me - for better or for worse. All I asked for was new options, I didn't specify *how*...

If you want change, if you want freshness, this is very effective. Just, um, be careful what you wish for.

I've had an imp of this for some time, unwilling to try it out because it smelled so powerful that I was a little intimidated. "Road Opener" can cause swift change in directions that you might not have intended, so I was a little cautious.

This morning, though, I found myself at a rough point in my novel, and really needed a push, so I went through my ritual oils - and lo and behold, instead of intimidating, it smelled sweet and inviting. So I swiped a bit on my wrists.

Scent-wise, it's green and powdery, with the generic 'herbal' scent I associate with magickal blends and perhaps just a hint of musk underneath.

With regards to magickal use, I was worried about coming up with money for a particular bill, and got a phone call first thing this morning with a creative solution. I'm hoping that it'll work the same quick magick when I sit down for my writing session this afternoon. :P

Scent: On me, this is a lovely, sweet mint on first application, but the sweetness fades away after a few minutes. It's quite bracing, a bit like peppermint, but not foody. After a while, the mint fades into...rose? Something that reminds me a little bit of Bess, actually, rose and mint and a bit of greenery. It's faint, but pleasant.

Usage: I tested this out during a particularly hectic time of work, when a lot of projects were piling on, plus grading for my class. I felt stuck, no trapped in the rut of my predecessors, and I needed a new way to deal with everything. I don't know how to assess efficacy, but the ritual of using this blend to center, to focus my energies on my tasks, was extremely helpful.

This review isn't focused on scent, but rather on effects.

I have several "stuck" projects hanging around that I have been finding all sorts of reasons not to do. I'm uip against deadlines on some of them, and so I decided this morning that I was going to do what I could to get them done. The issues with these projects - one in particular - is that its absolutely huge, and I need to find a couple of creative solutions as just part of the project. Note that I happen to be working from my home office today.

I decided to use Road Opener in a very simple way - I annointed a couple of pieces of jewelry that I use for magical work, with the focus and intent that I was going to find a creative way to solve this project. I told myself while I was annointing the jewelry that I did not need to see a complete vision for the project - I just needed to work on it for 50 minute intervals, focusing only on "what comes next?" as I worked through each piece of it.

As a supplement to the process and to help me retain focus while I was working, I used a very small amount of Concentration.

This was about eight hours ago. I am well into the problem project. Things that seemed impossible to organize have become easy. I've streamlined and reorganized several forms that my firm uses for this type of proposal. I found a completely different layout for the documentation that makes this project *much* easier to understand.

During my breaks, I decided to shampoo the rug in my family room. Once I finished, I looked around the empty room and realized *exactly* what has been bothering me about the room's layout and traffic flow since we moved into this house - and I have now started the process of completely flipping the room on it's ear. The new layout solves a whole collection of problems involving blocked doorways and things getting dumped on top of places they don't belong - I'm going to have a very, very surprised family when everyone gets home tonight!

To top it off, I happen to love the way Road Opener and Concentration smell. :-) (I don't get the mint in Road Opener that everyone else seems to pick up, though. Hm.)

If I can keep up this type of creative problem solving for a couple more days, I'll have cleared my backlog of projects-that-I-don't-want-to-deal-with - something I've wanted to do for a couple of months.

Yeah, I'd say that Road Opener is a keeper...

Edited by Nebibit

Quick summary: does it work? Like whoa.

I've been "stuck" in a very serious rock-and-a-hard-place situation for some time now. I don't want to give details as it would infringe on the privacy of several other people. Just to put it into a general context- this morning there was a meeting with everyone involved that was "make or break". It could have gone two ways- either all of us could have agreed to work together as a team to overcome the problem, or (just as easily) we could have failed to come to an agreement, which would have left me with no support for my position, thus forcing me to go in a direction that I didn't want to go.

Er, I guess that makes it all sound more complicated than it is, so I'll get to the point. I was really scared about this meeting and I did not expect it to go well. Shortly before leaving for the meeting, I took a moment to ground and centre, and meditate briefly on the outcome I was hoping for as I applied Road Opener to my chakras.

The meeting could not have possibly gone better. As a matter of fact, the others not only agreed to work together to improve the bad situation, but also made some concessions in areas where I expected them to stand firm against me.

Road Opener works, oh yes it does.

As for smell? It's lovely, definitely one of my favourite TALs. When it's wet it smells very much like Blinding Glory Of Love- minty, herbal, and heady. However, it calms down to a sweet, delicious, incensey smell (though not "head-shop incense"). I'm guessing it's herbs and frankincense with a touch of rose? Whatever it is, I like it- but I'd use it again even if I hated the smell, because for intent, it's nothing short of amazing.

Edited by lilirose

Bottle: Mint!

Wet: I annointed my palms. Mint and Rose, it is very grandmother-ish. Some chocolate in the background but I have to sniff hard to find it.

Drydown: I normally don't like mint or rose, but this scent is not unpleasant. I'm wearing this scent to my therapy session, will report back afterwards.

ETA: It opened roads with DH, we cuddled and were intimate. :P

Therapy went well, I hope it opened roads.

Edited by Honeygirl

having a stressful time, so i figured i'd try this to try to get some insights on new ways of dealing with things.

it smells like mint, lavender and frankincense or sandalwood on me (not sure which-they both turn strange on me, and it is one or the other...something resiny.) it starts out powerfully minty and then the lavender/resins come through. it has a pretty strong throw. i'm hoping it can help give me some new insights possibly.

As with all the TALs I have tried, Road Opener really works.

I've been really stuck in my work and in my relationships. I was planning a trip to see the one person with whom I have a very important, but difficult long distance relationship and knew I was going to need some help. In comes Road Opener.

It really really helped. I used Road Opener in combination with Lionheart. So that we could find new possibilities and ways of dealing with our issues and complications and so that I could have the courage to actually follow any paths that opened. We found our way to a new understanding and this is shaping up to be one of the most fulfilling things I've ever done. Ad Astra per Aspera.

As for scent it is really rosey. reminds me of a less watery, more solid Water of Notre Dame.

Here is the ritual I used for house hunting:

I have a candle which I carve a picture of a house into. I then place it in a green glass bottle which I p uton a plate with salt, sage and rosemary on it. I tie a blue ribbon around the candle and anoint with Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab's TAL Road Opener and Perpetuum Bonum before lighting. I ask the angel Chamuel to help find me a house that I can afford and list the specifications that I want.

I performed this every night.

When talking to estate agents or viewing houses I anoint my heart and crown chakra with Road Opener. Then when finding the house I wanted I also anointed it's paper work.

The night I put an offer in for the house I performed the same ritual but this time I played music and anointed my third eye and crown chakras with Road Opener and meditated on my wishes.

Our first offer was rejected but our second offer was accepted and was still a couple of thousand below our budget!

Result: SUCCESS!

The smell is a sort of minty rose to me, but let's not talk about the smell, let's talk about HOW DAMN WELL THIS STUFF WORKS!

On Sunday, I made the extremely impulsive decision to buy a ticket to see Muse in Seattle in December - it's one of the very few US dates they're playing this year, I missed them when they came to DC (the closest they played to where I live [Pittsburgh] because my cousin was killed two days earlier), nobody has any idea if and when they're doing a proper tour of the States, and I love Muse so much I decided that I didn't just want to go, I HAD to go.

The problem is, I have no job, minimal unemployment, and the last thing I can afford right now is to fly cross-country for a show. But I went ahead and got the ticket anyhow, without having a place to stayin Seattle. I did have enough frequent flyer miles to cover my plane fare, but couldn't afford the 100 bucks that USAirways charges for the "priviledge" of using your frequent flyer miles.

So today I mysteriously received a bottle of Door Opener in the mail. No joke. I know who sent it to me - somebody very dear to my heart who knows I've been having a rough time and knew it would help.

I dabbed a bit on my Muse ticket, and in less than an hour, a friend from Seattle sent me a message saying that if I wanted to come out for the show, I was more than welcome to stay with her for the week.

Fifteen minutes later, I went to book my plane ticket, and USAirways decided to waive the 100 dollar frequent flyer fee.

I'm going to a job fair on Wednesday and you can be sure I'm dabbing myself liberally in Door Opener before entering the door.

People keep saying "mint." I don't get that. True, there's some deep herbal funkiness, but mostly this smells of roses to me. Very perfumy roses, with maybe patcholi at the bottom? Also: I've found it's not a good idea to put this in an oil diffuser- allergies!

I've been wearing this with a focus on getting unstuck in my life. The first two times I've tried this, I got a friend of mine calling me to suggest I come for a visit. Both times fell through though. Being asked on a trip was a little more literal than I had in mind- perhaps this is a sign I need to do more work before I can get unstuck. But it's a pleasant enough scent, even though it's more perfumy than my normal choices.

Joining in the praises. I've been out of work since November and had no luck finding a job. So, last Tues I have a job interview for a case manager position. I found a penny by the door while I was getting ready, and couldn't find my gainful employment. So, Road Opener on the penny, penny in the portfolio. Road Opener over my heart. Had what I thought was a pretty good interview. They said they'd know by that Friday. Friday afternoon comes - they're considering me, but need a transcript. OK - Road Opener on the transcript and I'm running it over at 4:30 on Friday. Heard nothing until yesterday afternoon, when they call to offer me the coordinator position - the position *above* the one I was interviewing for. :eek: :thud: All I need at this point are the reference letters - and you can bet I'm annointing the offer letter and my computer while asking for those!

ETA: Scent - I'm with the clinical-metallicky-mint camp. But then, I'm not using it for the scent, am I?

Edited by stalking_cat