Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Wolf's Heart

Grants courage under extreme conditions, helps overcome fear of death, and strengthens the fortitude of artists and businessmen, enabling them to further their goals.

Rating (on skin): 2/5
Rating (efficacy): N/A
Summarised in a word or two: Herbal.

In the imp/bottle: A sharp herbal note that I can't place. This strikes me as both 'green' and 'red', oddly enough.

On skin, wet: Something herbal atop a warm but watery Dragon's Blood. Dragon's Blood is usually very beautiful (and spicy!) on me, but this is an exception, which may be due to that herbal note. After a few minutes, the jasmine appears. From then on, it's a very strange scent.

On skin, dry: Not much of a change from wet. After about an hour, it's a slightly-spicy (the Dragon's Blood), herbal jasmine, for the most part. It's a very sharp scent, not soft or comforting at all.

Conclusion: The scent really matches the title for me. It's not a bad scent, but it's not something I'd like to smell like, really. As for its Voodoo efficacy, I can't really report anything of note -- I've never been afraid of death, and I'm not an artist or businessman, nor am I in "extreme conditions," so perhaps its Voodoo properties are wasted on me. Edited by Aredhel

another freebie from the lab. they really have a way of picking things that you'll like.

At first i was a little scared by the name and the first impression.

It smelled like bathroom cleaner in the bottle

But on, it developed this sweet herbal floral with a deepness (must be the dragon's blood but it's hard to describe.)

but the dry-down is the best because for those who love clove this is for you. As a child we had a flowerbed with Clove Pinks and I would bury my nose in them. That is what Wolf's Heart reminds me of. A spicy floral that remains fresh and a bit woodsy, not exotic and overwhelming.

Another keeper for me.

In the bottle - something woody and something cold

Wet on me - still cold smelling, slightly medicinal with a little bit of cherry/almond

Dry on me - it faded pretty quickly leaving faint remains of spiciness. I had hoped this would help me make an important phone call, but in the end I chickened out.

Sweet cherries and almonds. Very pretty in the bottle.

Sadly almond notes hate my skin chemistry. This starts to smell like dishsoap on me.

First whiff -- this smells floral and warm. It's not a warmth of cinnamon, not sure what it could be. The floral reminded me of Potion very briefly (Lush's rose/carnation scented lotion), but it's definitely different and much sweeter.

As it dries on my skin, it has a sweet, almost green floral scent to it. Also a bitter plant smell deep in the background mixing with the spiciness.

5-10 min later, it smells like a hot tea with a whole lot of sugar dumped in.

30 min later follow up -- this seems to have turned to bubbglegum on me! A bit disappointing as I wanted to like this blend. I liked the way it smells fresh and wet, but I do not like its later stages.

I'm starting to believe that anything with the slightest hint of jasmine in it will be rejected by my skin. For example, Wolf's Heart, which I think is nice and even a little minty (don't ask me why) in the imp, turns into an overpowering medicinal floral scent on my wrist.

It is a very agressive scent, quite fitting for its purpose, but it doesn't work on me.

Wolf's Heart is definitely a strong, warm... courageous scent. I think I can smell cloves and perhaps a bit of honey? I'm not good at picking out notes yet. This reminds me of fire and heat, of coming inside from the chilly/cold outdoors.

I got this with a bunch of other imps from a very dear friend, and was a bit apprehensive when I opened it. I'm not a fan of overly musky scents, and at first glance that's what I got.

I was wrong.

I *LOVE* this scent. It's warm and happy, with a golden flower scent. I can smell the resins that others are talking about, and it just puts a smile on my face.

It's not strong and over powering, but it sticks around long enough for me to finish out whole shifts at work without reapplication. *joy*

I'll definitely have to put in an order for this.

This may have been overkill, but I tried Wolf's Heart for the first time yesterday, to help me get through a particularly painful last day at one of my jobs. (I loved my boss, but other aspects of the situation were just not good, and clearly not going to get better.) This warm, fiery scent bolstered me very well. I was calm and centered through various kinds of emotional interactions, something I’m ordinarily not very good at. I love the scent, and the feeling of calm confidence and protection that came with it. Both stayed with me all day. I definitely need a big bottle of this.

:P

Ok, I am testing this scent right before going into a public speaking scenario (in....10 minutes. I am waiting here with my laptop.) Public speaking is my biggest fear.

I smell musky cherries at first, with something herbal in the background. It is a bit medicinal, and reminds me of Lush's Chai shower gel.

I keep pressing my nose to my wrist- hopefully that'll be enough to get me through this next hour.

C'mon strength and bravery!

Well, I didn't have a panic attack even in the face of a really bad situation that came up. I just applied more and inhaled deeply, because I am feeling so tired and tense.

The herbiness is really strong at first.

I'm not sure if it's really working or if it's a placebo effect :>

Liquid courage without a hangover? Wolf's Heart seems very useful.

Wet, it smells like dragon's blood, jasmine, and maybe a touch of rosemary or eucalyptus? It's warm and herbal.

I wore this one today underneath The Living Flame because I was a bit nervous about some things I had to get done. I did feel more confident and strong.

What I enjoy about the Voodoo oils is that wearing them causes me to focus on their properties, which in and of itself, seems to help me rise to meet the challenges their use occasioned.

Dude. I was SO expecting 'cherry kool-aide' by the color, but it's more 'sweet scented flowering bushes growing wild in the Midwest'. As it's applied - and drying down - I get the impression that it SHOULD be insanely overwhelming, but it isn't. It's just the right touch of 'sweet' and 'heady'.

There's something sodaish about the scent, but I don't mean in a fizzy or syrupy way. I'd almost say it's 'cola', but not one of the SUPER colas we all know and love. With the sweet, fruity tinge I'm getting I'd go as far as saying that it's almost reminiscent of...Diet Rite Cherry (sorry, Beth, but it could've been A LOT worse! I COULD'VE SAID TAB!).

this imp was a very generous gift from the lab :D

straight sniff: it is sweet pine needles :P

upon application this is more of a dragon's blood mixed with

spicy goodness...interesting

not sure i need a big bottle but i will wear this when i am feeling

"cowardly lion-like"... :D

In the bottle: Herbal, spicy, woods

Wet: The herbal scent comes to the forefront.

Drydown: It turns into a spicy jasmine.

I love this one--it's a bottler, for sure.

Rich red in the vial, and I love the intention for it!

On me: smells like dragon's blood, a good spicy scent with strong connotations. Sullied with the hated jasmine.

Once "jasmine" pops up, you know my review is about over. Luckily, this one belongs to my sister and I was just trying it. Jasmine makes me feel pissy rather than brave. :P

Wolf's Heart is the color of sweet and sour chicken. It's flowery-- flower-flowery, not white-floral (thank goodness). A little like rose. Like a waxy flower.

My dog likes it, and he is feeling bold, calm and relaxed. I like it too, but I am my usual anxious self. This is a voodoo oil, though, not a miracle.

This has a lot of waft (so does sweet and sour chicken).

Even though this is flowery, my boyfriend has not yet compared it to airfreshener. He even said he liked it!

Very sweet, by the way. This seems like it would be good to mix with some oil or moisturizer.

Edited by smelly

The predominant note of this on my skin is Dragon's Blood. I believe there might be some floral in there, as well, and a sharpish herbal note in the background (judging from my experiences with "Catherine", it might be rosemary). Sweetish without being cloying, floral without seeming exceedingly feminine. Interesting.

Not only do I love this scent, it does exactly as advertised! When I'm wearing it, it's much easier for me to shrug off stressful situations. It's kind of like a guardian angel for your nerves in a bottle.

I definitely want more of this.

Wet this is spicey, almost smells like curry. Def detect notes of dragons blood and other woods. Dry this is still spicey, might be better on a guy. I like it as a scent, but not a perfume. Would be a good spray scent.

In bottle:

Not a showy scent -- I practically had to put my nose into the imp to get a read on it. The dragon's blood makes for a very red blend, so if you're going to try this, make sure that you don't get any of it on your clothes before it's dry. Stains are not good (fortunately, this is not from my bitter experience). Anyway, the dragon's blood is extremely notable here, but there's something spicy, too. Unfortunately, I can't tell what it is underneath.

On me: The last few times I've burned dragon's blood for incense or worn Wolf's Heart before bed, I've wound up with some really funky dreams. Even though traditionally, dreams don't show up in any of the content I've found on dragon's blood. Anyway, when it's wet, it's a strange, almost uncomfortable scent. The cats fled precipitately, but not as badly as when I tried Versailles.

1.5 hours later: It's very faint, but still kicking. I have to lay my nose on my skin to smell anything. And it's all gone several hours later.

Overall: Keep this, but try not to wear it to bed, I'm thinking. :P It's definitely given me the feel of something fierce behind my eyes, just waiting, when I wore it to work -- the poster who said the scent helps her to focus on the properties was dead on. Might pick up a bottle if one happens to fall in my path.

Score: 4.0

New Favorite!

In the imp it's dark and spicy to me, all clove and something else that's very ... red.

On me, mmm, it warms up fast. It's sexy and though there may be florals which usually hate me, on this the overwhelming spice keeps them from amping up into headacheville. Best of all, it doesn't burn my skin like other spicy blends do.

I really do feel with it on that I could get whatever I want. Placebo, voodoo, whatever works. I have a huge bottle coming and I'm so happy about it. *luffs*

A.

I could swear I've had an Indian curry that smells just like this. Must be an indian spice in there - cardamom or saffron. Whatever it is smells very warm. I agree with the dragon's blood. The oil itself is also a BRIGHT red, like I can still see it on my skin after drydown. As it dries, a clear, clean floral note starts to emerge through all the spice. Very intriguing! I think I may have to get more of this!

Scentwise

In the imp: Smelled like something fresh, then the typical dbr plasticy scent. Pleasantly fresh dbr.

Wet: Still dbr. It's soft and uplifting and cheery.

Dry: Much of the same. Didn't smell very different from normal dbr blends.

Category: DBR

Rating: 2/5; not much to it

Overall: My sniffer and/or hormones may be a bit odd today so I will have to sniff this again. I did like it, more fresh than anything.

Effectwise

I didn't feel much of it. For the most part, I felt worse today. Then again, I didn't use it as a ritual oil so I didn't utilize it as fully as I could have. When I got to work today I found that my managers scheduled me to work almost a week straight, 7.5 hour shifts every weekday and 5.5 hour shifts on the weekends. Not happy about that. I feel comfortable enough normally to say "No, I will not do this, it is not fair to bully me into working all those shifts when we have more people that can work." but I still did say it without swallowing my tongue. I also felt strong enough to confront my assistant manager, even though he denied ever touching or looking at the schedule which I know is complete bs. So long story summarized; I said things to stand up for myself today but I'm not 100% sure I wouldn't have done it anyways.

Dragons blood, jasmine and ... celery? Dang dogs will eat anything!

Not a fave in the scent department, but having had such great luck with Queen, it will probably do its thing.

Wolf’s Heart

In the imp: dragon’s blood, with a hint of floral, maybe lilac?

Wet on skin: gardenia? I think I’m getting a gardenia reaction here-it’s going dry and a bit harsh. But it’s not a truly nasty reaction, yet.

Dry: dry, biting gardenia, with the red warmth of dragon’s blood, and a hint of some other floral scents, I think I get lilac in here. The scent is a bit sharp, almost greenish from the gardenia, but the scent isn’t too bad so far-it may improve a bit more over time.

After a while: the gardenia fades and become a tolerable ‘dry petal’ scent. now I smell more of the dragon’s blood and a little hint of something almost herbal, as well as wisteria (I think) and a little bit of a ‘tree bark’ scent, and a little bit of something metallic. It’s an odd scent, and not one I’d wear as perfume-this definitely is a ritual oil for me, not a personal scent.

Eventually this fades to pretty much pure dragon’s blood.

Verdict: I have tried this some time ago and I actually liked it better back then (maybe I had an aged imp?) but I wasn’t so keen on Wolf’s Heart this time round. There’s a dry/sharp gardenia like note to it which makes the scent rather acrid, and the lovely purple floral scent I got previously isn’t as strong here. And of course, as before, dragon’s blood is dominant here. It’s definitely not a perfume scent, but maybe I could try it for purpose? However, there are other courage-boosters (like Lionheart) which I prefer to this, so it’s a swapper.

Emoticon rating: :P

Initial sniff: Dragon's Blood and cloves.

Mellowed to a warm, spicy floral.

Wore it to the studio tonight. Cranked out 5 plates in less than an hour and a half. I think I'll wear this to the studio again - I got into the groove immediately, and with a lot more focus than usual, and I'm a little rusty, even. Successful trial run!