Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Wolf's Heart

Grants courage under extreme conditions, helps overcome fear of death, and strengthens the fortitude of artists and businessmen, enabling them to further their goals.

A soft, warm jasmine, with a bitty hint of clove. The dragon's blood is muted here (dragon's blood=lilac for me)...and is there vanilla here or am I just high on Snake Oil?

This doesn't get soapy on me, which is bloody amazing, considering that it's floral and almost all florals go evil on me. A very pleasent blend :P

Wet it's a bit sweet, with lemon, juniper and maybe verbena. No dragon's blood yet.

Drying it looses the citrus not and wins a more fruity touch. It goes almost soapy (almost) and the dragon's blood goes stronger with a floral hint.

Makes me feel brave and capable... quite good as a placebo! :P

I'm not sure if it's that I can't smell the jasmine or just can't put the name "jasmine" to what I'm smelling. What I think I'm smelling is clove and juniper--a darkish herb scent that I really like.

Smells like what you would imagine an apothecary's shop in the middle of the woods to smell like. And it lasts quite a long time. Very peaceful and comforting, but bold, too.

I really love wolf's heart! I have no idea what I smell, but I *think* I smell is dragon's blood, clove, and jasmine. It's warm, very warm, fierce and gentle at the same time. It has a scent that reminds me of a spiced up blood amber on application. I have no idea what it will do as it morphs, but the DB scent is dying down as it dries and the spice ( clove?) is coming forward more.

Now the clove is receeding and I'm getting herbs that remind me of van van, but none of the baby powder like note.

I REALLY love this and could see a bigger bottle in my future!!

At first I liked Wolf's Heart. It was a light, slightly herbal blend that made me feel calm, centered, and ready to face the world. However, now when I put it on it is an overwhelmingly powerful soapy incense with a dash of spicy herbs. And the soapy smell doesn't go away. I'll take the hint and pass this blend along to someone that needs it. :P

Hi there dragon's blood how are you?

For some reason DB tends to go very lilly-floral on me so this ends up a very light, powdery floral scent with an undertone of something a little more earthy that I can't pinpoint. Pretty but not for me and it's not one I'll use outside of wearing.

Lemony. . . this is a pleasant fragrance, but not something I can see myself wearing on a day to day basis.

Initial Sniff: Dragon's blood and some kind of floral - jasmine? Narcissus? I'm not sure.

Wearing: The sweet spiciness of dragon's blood is tempered by the unidentified floral and some sort of berry? I'm not sure. A very solid, long-lasting scent.

Final Impressions: I wore this on a day that ended up being one of my most challenging days ever at work. I tend to be an emotional person, but I was able to deal with several emotional situations with a calm and collected manner. I find Wolf's Heart to be very grounding and stabilizing. Bonus - it smells really good, too!

I couldn't identify it in the imp...I only knew that I liked it immediately.

Wet- This smells exactly like Sol on me. Since I love Sol, this is wonderful!

Dry- Sol and a light dusting of dragons blood. mmmm...

I wore this today, because I knew it would be challenging...and my obstacles seemed to just disappear. I kicked ass today, and I know I couldn't have done it without this scent. This is oh-so-definitely going to be a 5ml or maybe even a 10ml purchase. :P

In Bottle: Spicy and warm herbs.

On Skin: Dragon’s blood is strong in this. Clove or maybe cinnamon… something sweet and spicy. There is a light floral… maybe jasmine? Interesting… it doesn’t make me feel any braver but it’s a nice scent. A little spicy for me, but I’d like to smell it on someone else.

ADDED Feb. 6:

In Bottle: Dragon’s Blood

On Skin: Dragon’s Blood jumps out right away, no mistaking that scent. There is also a soft spice, cinnamon maybe but at least it’s not making my nose burn. It’s comforting and warm but reminds me of several of Beth’s other Dragon’s Blood blends… it doesn’t seem as original to me. I would love to see if it works though, if I had read this description this morning I would have had my husband wear it to his job interview ealrier today…

Red Colored BPAL liquid= I can almost gaurantee that resins are involved. This fragrance is no exception. It is very resinish. Ashy...almost on fire. There is an odd celery smell here too. Almost like a flaming Bloody Mary or something. I think this might be nice on a fragrance ring.

Dragon's blood. Almost entirely dragon's blood to me. A hint more masculinity, perhaps, at first. Much more floral once dry, though, and sweeter.

Very similar to High John the Conquerer on me-- herbal and soapy, with an unpleasantly baby-powderish sweet note that my skin does bad things with. I don't smell any cinnamon-- maybe that hint of an aseptic note is clove, but it isn't working for me. These are the only two Voodoo oils I've tried, so there might be a common note to all of them, or it might just be these two. I ordered them for personal empowerment purposes, but I think they open the sixth chakra or something, which I need like a hole in the head, and they don't smell good enough on me to justify wearing them as fragrances. But if you like herbal/sweetish/comforting scents, I think you'd quite like this one.

Edited by Savannah

Preconceived notions:

Wolf's Heart is one of a handful of voodoo blends that have been sitting around my armoire, collecting dust and waiting for the right moment to be used and it looks like Wolf's Heart is ready to be used. I don't remember a thing anyone has said about what it smells like, so this is going to be purely conjecture on my part, although I'm pretty confident in my nose lately. :D

First sniff:

Dragon's blood and jasmine? That's certainly what it smells like. It's got a strong jasmine component that's almost overtaking the dragon's blood and making it somewhat soapy and floral and very headache inducing for me (I'm sensitive to a lot of florals and soapy ones in particular). It's not what I would expect from something with a name like Wolf's Heart - I was thinking strong and fiery and powerful smelling, but I get something almost feminine and soft. :D

Wet on skin:

Whoa, jasmine! I don't particularly care for jasmine, but it looks like I'm going to have to deal with it if I intend to actually see if Wolf's Heart lives up to it's description. I put this on the back of my neck because I knew I wouldn't want to be smelling it very intensely during the day, but it's wafting around and definitely making itself known. This reminds me of one of the Tarot blends, but I'm drawing a blank on which one it is...The Tower, maybe? I can't remember, but it was something with a dragon's blood/jasmine kind of feel to it.

Dry down:

All I can smell is jasmine. The dragon's blood note seems to have completely disappeared, but I don't think that its being around would have actually made me really enjoy the smell of this anyway, so it's not that big of a deal. Scent wise, this is too girly and headache inducing for me, but efficacy wise it's another story. Wolf's Heart definitely works. I don't think I've ever gone into a stressful situation where I was scared half to death and come through it so well and so easily. I'm not a dominant person by nature and I tend to shrink from having to assert myself, which is where Wolf's Heart comes in for me. It seems to be giving me that extra boost of confidence and assertiveness that I need to be able to be effective as "the person in control."

The bottom line:

I don't care for the smell (but, then, that's true of most of the Voodoo Blends) but I love how well Wolf's Heart works. This one's a definite winner! :P

Yep. Especially that last bit. The last time I wore this, some nice people bought a couple hundred dollars' worth of my artwork.

As for how it smells, I cannot tease apart all the components, because I am getting a large undifferentiated nose hit of floralFLORALfloral. I can't tell if it's jasmine, lily, or something else, or a combination of several things, which seems more likely. Will wait and see if the scent changes later, but now, when it's thoroughly dry, it's still floralFLORALfloral. I wouldn't pick it just on its smell, but I can't argue with the results, so I'm wearing it and doing my bookkeeping and show prep.

wolfsheart.jpg

This is a good Dragon's Blood blend and I also detect a drop of linseed oil in here, at least something which is very close to it. Linseed oil is a great smell and I have a bottle of it in my studio just to scent the place when I feel like it. Also there is something vanilla-like in the background.

I am a painter and the people who artists have to deal with are pretty tough. Artists come at most situations in the underdog position because there is a tremendous supply and small demand for our work. Gallery owners, agents, the public and fellow artists are rapacious, and you must watch yourself and be tough but attractive in all your dealings. This is where Wolf's Heart should come in very useful. I have to admit I was skeptical when I got Has No Hanna and Van Van but I was pretty amazed at the result of using them. I have to do a couple of difficult things regarding my work today, so I am putting on Wolf's Heart and hope that helps get me what I need.

By the way, my transactions did go very smoothly today.

Edited by olympia301

Wet: Very red and that edgy sweetsharp of DBR

It begins to fade to something spicy and almost medicinal, in fact, it smells a little like the health centre at school used to, which is wierd. I can't smell the clove that some folk have noticed, but the DBR is definitely there and doing it's usual trick of being a skin-scent on me. It's got that underlying redness but there's something darker and perhaps muskier on top of it. If I hunt for it, I think I can see where the clove note is, but it doesn't jump out at me. It does turn softer as it dries down and ends up a powdery soft spice, and very quiet.

It's not throwing well off my wrists, but I'd be interested in using it for its true purpose one day. This is a travelling imp, so maybe another will come my way one day.

Edit: reading up, I think jasmine must be the odd note I noticed creeping about at the back. Jasmine and I don't have a good relationship, so I think that's what's making it iffy. That said, the powdery scent has a hint of Beltane to it... And I love Beltane.

Edited by Lady Ravenglass

My Impression: I can only agree with earlier reviews that it has a comforting quality and is a good bedtime scent...It is lovely. I am sorry that I cannot add anything worthwhile that has not already been said..It is too complex for me to pick out individual notes.

Helloooooooooo Dragon's Blood. That's really all I'm getting from this. There's something earthy, vaguely spicy I can just barely smell, but this is almost indistinguishable from pure Dragon's Blood on me, especially at first. I'm very fond of dragon's blood, however, so that's hardly a bad thing. An hour or so later, the jasmine peeks out and softens it a bit. I'll have to try this on a day when I need its help, because if it works as well for me as it has for other reviewers, this will definitely be a big bottle purchase.

I thought I'd dislike Wolf's Heart, but I actually am okay with it. It starts out warm and made me think there was musk, because it seems rise from my skin to envelope me in its warmness. It has a similar feel to this scent, I can't remember the name, which had cinnamon in it and reminded me of a wool blanket. I think this is a tiny bit spicy, and I can sort of feel the dragon's blood lurking in the background, but there's not enough to make the scent sweet. Since people have mentioned jasmine, I guess I can see how it would be there to add that enveloping feel.

As far as the scent, this one I probably wouldn't have kept. I wanted to test it out for the voodooness. It has that odd note that I can only place as celery. :P And then it goes kind of sweet.

I had a tiny dab of it on last week along with hellfire (this one seems good for me when i need balls) and a teeny tiny dab of has no hanna. I was going into a sort of interview to make drawings for a television series. I got the job. A great job. They paid me unsightly gobs of money to draw all day. Can't complain about that. Too bad the job is finished now.

Wolf's Heart goes through several phases for me, all within thirty minutes from application. I'll try my best to sort through them, I've sort of abandoned my usual format for this oil.

In the vial, Wolf's Heart is definitely a mix of sweet resins and a bunch of floral and herbal notes, each of which will play on my skin one by one, as I soon found out.

First Phase: Lavender, a touch of something green, and something sour and a touch buttery-acrid, which wasn't necessarily pleasant but perked me to attention. It's a touch spicy at this point, too. I think it's Dragon's Blood.

Second Phase: Jasmine! Yup, that's jasmine all right. For a good ten minutes this shrieked its jasminesong with some backup singers in Dragon's Blood, that same sweet-sour resin that I detected under the lavender.

Third Phase: Neroli and fennel. The jasmine actually drops back, a surprise in my experience. On my skin, jasmine is usually a diva with top billing, and drowns out everything else. Here, it's a pleasant mix of my favorite floral essential oil with a very unconventional drop of fennel or perhaps benzoin, a sharp and pungent hit.

Fourth Phase and Longterm: Very, very soft neroli and orange blossom that sits near my skin. There's a touch of sweet resin still, so Wolf's Heart eventually has turned into a beautiful warm, orange-gold scent.

I like it a lot! I don't have any situational testing of the oil's effectiveness, but perhaps in a few weeks. I'll update if it causes any major changes.

I received Wolf's Heart as a freebie from the lab (thank you!) and have been trying the Voo Doo blends over the past few weeks. I didn't expect to see this so it has been a nice surpirse....and no surprise, timely too :D.....the lab always seems to "know".

From the imp it is hard to get a real grip on what I am smelling. Once it is on wrists I detect jasmine or a jasmine-like boquet. Also resiny notes, and yes, hello dragon's blood! Wolf's Heart is also deep, rich red.

I get a better sense of the fragrance when I put some in a candle burner....this diffuses the notes into the waves of air currents - like letting wine breathe.

The scent is sweet and deep - I can also smell what I think are the voodoo notes. I am so amazed with the nuances of fragrance that seem to be evolving out of this scent: herbs, resins, flowers, maybe musk.....and of course a large dottle of Dragon's Blood.

I could use the courage bestowed by this warm scent - lots of huge life changes going on for me, which will be incrementally building day-to-day. They will require courage, fortitude....and a resourceful and creative spirit :D

I think I better lay in a store of this for the next few weeks.....:P

Edited by fragrantgrasse

I got an herbal sort of scent from the oil when I opened it up. There's a light jasmine note that makes it sweet, but it doesn't really come out.

Today I burned a CD with the photos for a photography contest, and burned a candle with the oil as I was doing that, and as I was writing the captions, and then anointed the envelope with a few dabs. We'll have to see what turns up.

First on this is clove and something oddly herbal. It's reminding me of cooking spices. Then it is all clove for about ten minutes and I am finding it rather pleasant... until the jasmine starts to creep in.

Anyone who has read any of my jasmine reviews will be sick of hearing me talk about how overpowering jasmine is and how it gives me a headache. Same boring rant applies here.

People may also recall that I am not fond of dragon's blood.

Wolf's Heart is jasmine and dragon's blood on me in the drydown. You can imagine the hell of having two of my least favorite scents conspiring against me. They are a formidable pair. This is strong and sickening sweet (floral-sweet, I hate that) on me. I practically scrubbed my arm bloody trying to wash it off.