Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Wolf's Heart

Grants courage under extreme conditions, helps overcome fear of death, and strengthens the fortitude of artists and businessmen, enabling them to further their goals.

Thank you to the many forumites who reviewed Wolf's Heart--I bought a bottle unsniffed, and am SO glad I did. This is a big hit with me, my daughter, and (unexpectedly,) my son.

The oil is a beautiful clear coral-red color (I know because I had to split the bottle with my daughter, and decanted hers from the amber bottle into a clear glass one.)

In the bottle, I could pick out dragon's blood and jasmine and spice. It's really well-blended, so none of those predominates.

Wet and dry, the scent stays close to the skin, and feels very personal. It's not a "signature" scent, it seems to blend with the wearer and change itself to match the wearer's chemistry.

The reviewer who said Wolf's Blood is like a blanket is right--both my kids are attached to comfort objects, and the comforting effect of Wolf's Heart is just like a special blanket.

This scent. I originally purchased it for my fiance, but I think I really enjoy it on myself.

I can't identify the scents, but it smells warm and a bit spicy(?)

It calls to mind an image of a warm fire in a log cabin. It doesn't necessarily smell that way, but it's where my mind takes me.

Warm, fierce, and protective. I put this on one night after waking from truly horrendous nightmares, and it was like being wrapped in a cloak of invulnerability, if you'll permit a moment of abject geekery. I definitely smell dragon's blood resin and jasmine in it, but also some other warm, spicy notes that I can't pick out.

This isn't a day-to-day scent for me, but is rather like a magical potion that's only pulled out in times of crisis, or when strength and courage are needed.

Lab frimp. Strangely, I started off getting menthol. That goes away quickly, and I get the dragon's blood and jasmine, blended smoothly, but that minty edge never quite goes away. I actually do like it though; I can see how it's comforting. There is something incense-y in here, which makes it smell like beautifully scented bookstore. I think I'll have to pick it up and try it again for a day, but this is something that might grow on me...

One of the few jasmine scents I could stand, maybe because I do not amp this one as much as I do others. Smells like a sweeter version of BPAL Cleric. I've never smelled Dragon's Blood but it's nice and cozy. It smells strong and brave, like getting a bear hug from a protector.

Wet, this is so tart, but I can't tell what kind of tart. Lime, maybe? When this goes on, it smooths out a bit, turns more floral-y. During drydown, I didn't think I'd love this, but after 10 minutes or so, it's really growing on me. It gets warm and a bit spicy, but still, overall, it's floral.

Fresh floral-herb-fruit → floral-resin

I like this one! White florals are hard for me. I love them in theory, but the blends rarely work for me. I keep sniffing this one, which is a good sign! Thanks to the BPAL team for frimping this one to me!

Where I'd wear this: When I want to be both deeply confident and extremely womanly

Edited by gloame

Wet: Dragon's blood. The very floral variety. Not getting much else (surprising, as others have mentioned jasmine, and I amp that to high heaven above all other notes, usually)

Dry: Floral DB. Apparently I amp DB even more than jasmine. Pretty much single note on me. Not a fan, I like Dragon's Blood in scents, but not on its own, it's just not my taste.

Wolf's Heart is a warm, less sharp dragons blood type incense. It's a very pulsating and smooth scent. Reminds me of spirit shops in New Orleans. No fear if you're not a fan of Dragon's Blood though, it's really not as sharp and hot of an incense like that. It also has the tiniest bit of warm greenery. Very comforting. Full bottle A+.

ETA: One of my favorite scents of all time now! Dragons blood- always a sexy and unique scent, with greenery and jasmine. Very fantastical on me. Incredible and long lasting.

Imp: oh there is dragon's blood in this.
Wet on Me: dragon's blood that wants to head to Raid territory
Drying Down: getting some floral now and the dragon's blood is going more resin than Raid.
Dry: Floral dragon's blood. I'm of two minds on this. I don't hate it but I'm not loving it. But not disliking it enough to trade away

This was a Lab frimp. Disclaimer: Dragon's blood hates me, and the feeling is mutual.

In the imp: Dragon's blood & jasmine? Fresh, sweet, floral. Well-blended, nothing really stands out.
Wet on me: Something spicy that I can't quite identify, backed by dragon's blood. Spiciness dies down & the jasmine emerges as it dries.
Dry: Pretty sure there's some anise in here, which was contributing to the 'spicy' earlier. Possibly clove too. I almost want to say vetiver, but I think that's the dragon's blood being weird on me. It's sort of a floral, dragon's blood incense now. Going a bit powdery. These notes do not work well on me. After an hour or so it's all settled down and is a lot nicer, but still a bit powdery.

It's not bad, just very much not for me.

i wanted to love this so much. all the reviews made me think i would. dragon's blood is one of my hero notes, i wear it as a single note all the time and invariably love scents that feature it - same with jasmine. maybe it's my skin chemistry, but wolf's heart just hasn't worked for me yet.

in the imp: sweet, soapy dragon's blood. promising. until i put it on my skin, and.....

wet: a smothering blast of *baby powder*???!!! you know, it actually smells just like my COTY Airspun powder. i detect virtually no jasmine or other florals. i do smell the dragon's blood, it's just.... buried under a mountain of soap and baby powder.

dry: faint incense and a smoky quality. it quite literally smells like i rubbed nag champa ash on my wrist. this is the least offensive phase of the fragrance to me, but i still don't like it.

i don't get any spice, unfortunately. the throw is STRONNGG when wet, but thankfully for me it's a short-lived fragrance, wearing from baby powder puff to incense ash to nothing in about an hour.

I adore Wolf's Heart. It's a strong, but comforting scent for me. I get dragon's blood for sure along with a bit of spicy resin. The sweetness from the florals and dragon's blood with the resins make something that feels welcome. I love wearing it whenever I need a bit of a pick-me-up.

I'm trying Wolf's Heart because courage has never been my strong suit, and I could use a boost. It's a nice dragon's blood fragrance on me. I'm not sure about the jasmine, which can go tragically wrong on my skin, but there is definitely some floral, so maybe it's star jasmine or one of the variants that work ok. Definitely more floral and less earthy than I would have expected from the concept. I'll give it a few hours and see if I feel any braver.

In the imp: Floral dragon's blood and jasmine with a bit of spice.

Wet: Floral dragon's blood and jasmine, accompanied by some bright lemon. As it sits on my skin, the jasmine note becomes stronger and sweeter. I think this is one of the kind varieties of jasmine, or else it's another white floral (I did think gardenia at one point) that I'm mistaking for it.

Dry: This is mostly a sweet floral (still thinking jasmine) backed by floral dragon's blood.

Verdict: Although dragon's blood can be iffy on me, it wasn't a problem here. I don't think I'd reach for this over Kwamie Cotton (another comforting scent with dragon's blood in it), but I am really glad I got a chance to try it.

In the imp: Dragon's blood, more than anything, herbal, crisp, clean.

Worn: As in the imp, dragon's blood with some clean herbs under it. Something bitter/sour on the back end, but you have to look for it.

Long term: Eventually, this turns sweet, loses the herbal edge.

Overall, to me, pretty unremarkable, but I'm not a big fan of dragon's blood.

Imp: sniffing blind is never my favourite, my nose plays such tricks. Dragon's blood resin, amber, hints of citrus and possibly orris?

Wet: gilded something, a boat load of jasmine (seriously so much jasmine), and probably one of the musks as there is a powdery note starting to come out. Maybe also carnation, which has the same effect on me.

Dry: quite generic once it's dried, and a bit powdery with a surprisingly short life span (just a few hours) given how strong the throw is at the outset (and boy is it strong). Not a winner for me; will be gifted or repurposed as a homemade atmos spray.

Stars: ★★½

I will review this for both scent and intended purpose.

To me, this is mostly a more sweet dragons blood/incensy scent, very warm - like the sharp and firery sun light in fall and winter or like a fire place etc. Brown and fury. It is not very floral/jasminy. It is very androgynous on me. Just empovering in a comforting kind of way. Similar to Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo, but more mature. It doesn't last super long, but the scent is quite strong in the beginning. This is scent wise one of my favourites of the conjure bag oils and I would wear it for scent alone.

As for intentional use, I wear it both alone or layered with other conjure bag oils and together with Has No Hana and Blockbuster, this is for now one of my favourites for intentional use too. It calms down and comforts right away. I use it when feelings and thourghts related to anxiety start pouring in and I need comfort, whereas I use Has No Hana for more depressive tendencies and a pick me up. I also use this, when I need courage, often layered with something for luck and/or charisma and maybe Blockbusting. I have used it alone or with Blockbuster to blast trough creative/academic blocks, that mostly stems form anxiety. But Blockbuster is definetly the more "busting" of the two, where this one brings and underlying courage.

I will probably end up buying a bigger bottle of this sometime, even if I should find something more effective purpose wise. The smell is so up my alley and the comfort this gives is still enough on most occasions.

Edited by Seifos

I've got an imp of unknown age. The color is a gorgeous bright red. Out of the imp there is a sweet dragon's blood hint, but that disappears pretty quickly on the skin, overwhelmed by what I think is jasmine. There's a tiny bit of clove in there I think, but the jasmine dominates. I wish the scent matched the color more! My partner really likes this, but me, not so much. I have a few friends who really like jasmine, so maybe this would be a good gift for them. The longer it dries, the powderier it gets.

I cannot speak towards its purpose as a voodoo oil; only as a perfume.

Edit: I paired this with some RPG Neutral and I like it a lot more!

Edited by skyturtles

DBR normally amps on me, but this is wearing very close. It's sweet, sort of fruity. There's a soft floral and sort of bubblegum quality, with a hint of spice.

Echoing what a number of other people in here have said; I find it difficult to pick out individual notes beyond an overall sense of dragon's blood and something sweet and spicy. That said, it's absolutely delicious, and I did notice it settling my frayed nerves when I tried it on. Placebo, aromatherapeutic, magic, I don't know and I don't mind, this scent is like a warm hug from someone strong.