Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The scent of misty forests, damp alder leaf, and the gentlest touch of white rose.

VERY NICE!
I opened up the imp and all I could smell was sweet pine. MMMmmmmmmmm for the pine!
It pretty much stayed the same on me as it smells in the imp. YAY!
Another scent that made me have to order a bottle from the Lab!!

Dublin is so gorgeous. I keep meaning to order a bottle and putting it off, and then every time I re-try the imp I kick myself.

I like some pine scents (Wolf Moon '07 and Jolasveinar are love), but I do not like pine if it's strident (Snow Moon, I am looking at you). Dublin is a pine scent that misses smelling like a Christmas tree and instead is gentle and soft and slightly spicy and just all-around beautiful.

This is what wood nymphs would smell like.

(The white rose never makes itself known as an independent note. If it's there on my skin at all, it stays very much in the background. I don't know what alder leaf smells like, but I'm assuming that it may be the soft spiciness I smell mixed in with the evergreen.)

This smells like a much softer, gentler version of Wolf Moon 2007. I really, really love it.

Hey, this smells good, both in the bottle and on my skin! Amazing, hehe. It reminds me a lot of Snow Bunny, actually -- the pretty undertone of pine in Snow Bunny shows up a lot more in Dublin. It's the only note I can identify, actually; I can tell that there's other stuff in the mix, but I can't pick it out. It's soft and tempers the pine, keeping it from being too much.

I really didn't expect to like this one so much! It's lovely. It fades quickly on me, but even the half-faded phase is nice, soft and outdoorsy.

I love this scent I just bought a 5ml!

In the bottle light and floral but also a little bit of pine.

On: the pine becomes very strong but not a christmas-y one. It smells like I hoped Glasgow would smell like. It's heath-like and reminds me of my time in England. Very outdoory

In the imp: Musty rose

On Skin: Musty rose

On Drydown: Woodsy, a light touch of rose and something else.

Verdict: Very not me. The combination is funky on my skin. It has a strong throw though. But yeah, definitely not to my liking.

Dublin is sweet smelling - I don't get pine from it at all! I think my nose must be dysfunctional.

I get a spicy rose smell from the imp, and then the oil has a lot of rose in it on my wrist. It lasts very well and has the most throw of any of my first batch of imps. I would have considered a 5 ml of this if it hadn't been discontinued the day after my imp shipped! I'll keep my imp for days when I want to smell intriguingly sweet and spicy.

In the imp: all herbs and woods

Wet: It smells like taking a walk through a forest in the early hours just as the sun has risen. Wow, what an evocative scent. I close my eyes, take a deep whiff of this scent, and feel as if I've been transported far away from my lttle room to a place that I've never been, yet dearly miss.

Dry: The scent stays pretty much the same, expect maybe the rose is a bit more prominent. It smells homey, comforting, and ethereal, and mysterious all at once.

Final Verdict: Dublin is the scent of a fairy tale; I am enchanted by this scent.

Yum Rating: :P :D :D :)

Edited by pixsy_stix

Dublin is truly a beautiful scent. Both in the vial and on the skin it smells lovely, slightly masculine (but in a good way), a bit woodsy and very fresh. After drying down some pine comes out, but it doesn't overpower and actually succeeds in making the blend a tad more mysterious. Sadly there's no white rose for me, but I think I can live without it.

This was a very sweet, green aquatic on me. Not at all what I expected, although I suppose that's a relief, since it's discon.

There is an otherworldly quality about this. Even though the pine and mosses are grounding and earthy, it's still feels like something that just slips through your fingers. Everything smells pale and luminous. It's a cool scent, with the sharpness of the pine settling in from the start. The mosses soften it, as does the rose. The rose never overwhelms the fragrance....it remains dainty and shy.

I am absolutely in love with this one.

In the bottle: Damp leaf and rose

On me: Woods, some spice, and a bit of rose. This is so nice! I wish Glasgow had worked out as well, but at least my Irish blood is pleased :P I'm very sad that this has been discontinued :D

This imp is from back when the scent was still "Old Dublin." Don't know if that makes a difference.

This is a Christmas scent on me--pine and cold weather. It's very fresh, not like Pine-Sol or anything, and I quite like it. A few hours after drydown it's very faintly floral, but the rose never amps like rose usually does on me. I like it, but Dublin is not an oil I'll wear much outside of December.

My recent BPAL obsession has been Dublin, the imp of which was given to me by my friend Petra. I'm gutted that this has been discontinued, as I've come to love it.

It doesn't suggest Dublin to me, which should really have a malt note in it and perhaps some phantom pork grease and maybe some church incense and furtive sex. And if we are thinking of Joyce, then orange blossom, too-- Molly's perfume.

But BPAL's Dublin doesn't smell like that at all. What it does smell like is a book, or a green room full of books. I won't be so bold as to say it smells like Joyce, having never had that particular pleasure, but there is something in the scent that's manly-- a bit sweaty and warm-- like someone who has been working quietly at nefarious things, in a little green room filled with books, under the eyes of an uncomprehending god. Oh, yeah, did I forget to tell you that I have a big crush on Joyce? The first time I went to Dublin it was right after being seduced by Ulysses and that has produced this particular synesthesia.

First Sniff: Soft forest mist with a hint of rose.

On Skin: A whimsy forest scent of mainly pine, and alder. It feels slightly wet, and as it dries down, the white rose seems to poke it's head through the mist.

Drydown: This is so soft, and gentle and while I love all types of wood, the notes of alder leaf and misty forests are not at all overwhelming. Even rose which has a tendency to overpower everything is just as faint as the wood.

Final thoughts: Stunning, soft and really gentle. Wonderful, but light throw, that is not powering my senses. A new but old favorite.

Edited by Shollin
Removed Lab description --Shollin

I definitely smell the white rose, it's faint but pretty.

The other notes smell interesting, albeit foreign to me.

It's a nice blend, but it wouldn't make it into my rotation.

3.3 out of 5

In the bottle: Very pale yellow oil. Rose and intense woodsy pine. Deeper, rounded woody notes below. Quite sweet.

Wet: Very similar. Reminds me of Tintagel and also Hemlock. The pine is so strong it's virtually mentholic, almost minty, and overwhelms the rose which is faint. Vaguely and oddly spicy.

Dry: Slow to dry. The sweetness almost has a dark berry (blackberry?) feel to it. This is reminding me of Jolasveinar too. It does feel wet, humid, and foresty - but like a dark, deep forest.

Later: Spicier - cinnamon, I think. I agree with others who totally get the Christmas candle and potpourri vibes. Some white musk, too, perhaps. No rose.

Summary: After the INTENSE EVERGREENS wear off, a bit of rose shines through, but this is still mostly a very sweet, almost sugary pine scent with spicy cinnamon and blackberry notes. Powerful throw, great lasting power.

Far too sweet and piney for me.

This is a beautiful scent. Very sweet, almost candyish, misty evergreen scent. This is very beautiful, but I don't detect ANY rose! This is being swapped as we speak, because it's just not really me. but I can see why this scent is so beloved-- it IS gorgeous!

798934114_uW4Fs-Ti.jpg

Unfortunately, because I do love me some rose scent, my nose picks up no rose at all, but the damp tree smell is spot-on. Vaguely evergreen, vaguely grass, vaguely rain. Just a vague scent. LOL. It's like wandering around a misty faeryland, in a fogged mind-state, so that you feel like what you see just might not be real. I wonder if this is how it felt to be taken 'under the hill?'

In any event, the throw is very light, though it does seem to hang on for a while; I applied it first thing this morning (around 6:30 am) and I can still get whiffs of it when I move my arm around. It is a light, lovely scent that is probably more appropriate for a warm day rather than the 39 degrees we have outside just now.

But I do like it, and it's nice wearing this today. I feel fortunate to have the half-bottle but I won't be angsting over finding more. What I have will last me for quite a while, and that's wonderful. I give this discontinued GC blend 1 of a possible 5 stars. Edited by stellans

I was very luck to get this as a frimp from a recent Lab Ebay auction. Sadly, this scent does not like me. It went directly to baby powder and stayed there. Such a shame.

In vial: Sweet pines, sappy but pretty mellow.

Wet: Rosy evergreens. Obviously this is quite aged, and it has none of the sharp/herbal quality I usually associate with forest scents.

Dry: The rose gets warmer and sweeter, it seems like there is a spicy resin coming out. It is not strong or heavy, but I can't pull my nose from my wrist, it smells that good. It's almost incensed, in a very natural, untouched way.

Verdict: Dublin gives me hope that forest scents may work on me yet! It figures that it's DC'ed. Utterly gorgeous.

I tried is Dublin a few times and I will prob hord it since it is DC (boo).

I love it in my scent locket but I tried it on my skin and I like it but I have other fragrances I like better for on my skin.

Edited by archergrl

Sniffed: Fresh, sweet greenery touched with a breath of a cool floral. Very similar to Moon of Small Spirits and The Darkling Thrush.

On skin: A simple and lovely green forest scent: cool, lush, verdant and sweet, neither piney/evergreen nor damp and dirty. There is a touch of something woody-floral that I can't identify -- perhaps the alder leaf. If rose is in here, it's too imperceptible for me to make out. Dublin is very muted and subdued, and quite faint on skin. embodies a misty forest: gentle, cool, blue-green and a bit vague in impression. Colour impression is lush green washed out lightly with blue-grey mist.

I death-matched Dublin with Moon of Small Spirits and The Darkling Thrush -- all three scents are virtually identical, but Dublin is gentler and lighter, while the other two (especially Moon) are more intense and lush. I think it embodies a mystic, Sidhe-touched forest, compared to the more down-to-earth forests in the other two scents.

Verdict: Dublin has been on my wishlist since I first discovered BPAL, so I'm very grateful to my Switch Witch for getting me a tester. I'm also glad that it was quite similar to other green-forest scents that I already love and have more of. Still, I'm so thankful that I got a chance to test this rare blend!

I am sad that this was discontinued, and was just thinking about it today. (I gave away my only imp to a friend who needed it more than I did.) It smelled like evergreen forest, rain, and just enough rose to temper it all on me.

This is one of the very few forest/pine/evergreen-type scents that I like and would wear. Someone in a previous review on this page mentioned Snow Bunny, and that's one of the other ones I wear. This is very pretty -- it smells natural and pleasant and outdoorsy (without smelling like soap or cologne), and the white rose is a wonderful touch. It adds just the right amount of floral to it. I understand why there was much gnashing of teeth when Dublin was discontinued.

This scent has to have cedar in it, because it's amping stunningly on my skin. I've always loved what my chemistry does to cedar, and this is not an exception. I was a little worried about the rose note, but it is a surprisingly perfect complement to the peppery woody note.

Very green, very lush, and surprisingly feminine.