Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lunalight7

Oils with the strongest throw or sillage - the most noticeable scents

Fenris Wolf: Darkly complex and powerful(primarily deep woods, red musk and resin, through strangely, I often get whiffs of incense-like qualities when wearing, but that could be the result of nose-confusion regarding resins/woods. I love all things red and this is a wonderful embodiment of this color from the world of bpal! :D But perhaps I am biased because this is my favorite scent ;) ).

I'd also second sed non satiata for strength of throw/notes. That sucker is a long- laster if I ever saw one, and the one time I slathered accidentally... :D whoa that was strong(good, but strong) :) . It lasted through a full day, night, part of a day again, and a shower if I remember correctly.

Bloodlust is incredibly intense and sexy, another of my favorites. However it usually last about twelve hours when I do wear it, and has few incense qualities/resins/woods on me. Its primarily a very spicy blend with a dark bite to it. When I layer it with Sin, it lasts hours longer at a much higher strength than Bloodlust alone. Sin alone lasts about half the time on my skin chemistry than Bloodlust typically does. I find the blend has a different(but still spicy) feel to it than Bloodlust, a far less primary red and more earthily toned feel, if that makes sense, but also a much less complex blend (althrough that's not neccesarily a bad thing, I find Sin layers well with alot of other bpal scents).

Scherezade, unfortunately, disappeared within minutes on my skin chemistry :P.

--------

Court

Nom nom....Fenris Wolf! yup....lasts forever on me as well...though it goes through transformations...sandalwood to musk to musky amber to amber.

Not too sure on throw yet...Smut seems to have the most throw of any so far.

The scents with the most throw are the ones you hate. :D

OMG YES. Death on a Pale Horse was strong enough on me to kill, well, a pale horse. :P You could smell it from a mile away. I couldn't seem to wash it off, either.

A good friend here told me to use rubbing alcohol to remove a perfume and it really works. There have been many times I didn't like something I put on and I'd use the alcohol and then wash with soap and water and I was as good as new.

Our whole downstairs ended up smelling like Libertine after I tried it one night. It was good for me, because I thought it smelled gorgeous, but I felt bad for the family members not used to BPAL's strength. I would love to try some in an oil burner, but I'm kind of afraid our whole neighborhood would start smelling like Libertine! :P

I wore 51 last week to a doctor's appointment, thinking it was so light that I would be the only one to enjoy it. I got so many compliments, it must have crazy throw. (Luckily this was not the allergist or anything like that, so I didn't make anyone sick :P ) I really didn't put much on, either, because all I have is an imp.

Next experience: I dabbed the tiniest bit of Knave of Hearts on from the cap to try it, and within moments I was surrounded by a caramel cloud. My husband could smell it on the other side of our family room. You may not amp the caramel the way that I do - I somehow turn blends like Red Lantern and that gorgeous Salon with the caramel into industrial strength, single note caramel - but it won't surprise me if you get a lot of throw from the Knave.

When I wear any fragrance, it's almost as though Im not wearing any. People cant even tell Im wearing any fragrance. Could it be the type of scents I wear? Like sweeter ones tend to have a poorer throw?

So Im wondering which notes have very good throw? I've read how some of you get complimented a lot. Wow I've never been complimented in my entire life. Dont oils stick to the skin more?

People mention slathering could someone tell me what you mean by that? lol

I use two finger's full (tip it over onto my finger.. wipe wrists/forearms) then tip another amount onto my finger and wipe sides of neck and cleavage.

Nothing lasts out of my many many bottles except sugar skull. (which I don't really want to last! lol) Also Pumpkin 5 2007 (which I really like alot but not for every day)

Are slatherers using way more then this?

Anything with moonflower on the one hand, or patchouli on the other.

The two best examples being Midnight and Schwarzer Mond, imo.

mmmm.

Oh, the amber does it too, at least on me. I've gotten compliments on Bakeneko, Jacob's Ladder, and Death of Autumn, I think, because of that.

Edited by LadyMedb

I use two finger's full (tip it over onto my finger.. wipe wrists/forearms) then tip another amount onto my finger and wipe sides of neck and cleavage.

<snip>

I usually tip the bottle over my finger 6 times (one time for my wrists, once for the inside of each elbow, once for behind each ear, and once for my cleavage). And scents *still* don't last very long on me. :D

That said, Schrodinger's Cat has hella throw. It fades pretty quickly, but is very strong while it lasts. :P

People mention slathering could someone tell me what you mean by that? lol

Nothing lasts out of my many many bottles except sugar skull. (which I don't really want to last! lol) Also Pumpkin 5 2007 (which I really like alot but not for every day)

I think people talk about slathering in this thread, on where you apply your oils?

Putting on more will always smell stronger, but some *are* just stronger than others - on me, I've had tons of sillage with Tamamo-no-mae, Obatala, Milk Moon (both, but especially 2005), Antique Lace, and Itaso etc. from the Salon (I can never remember the full name!). At least, these are scents I've worn with my usual slathering abandon, then got around people and thought, Damn, my perfume's too strong!

I don't get compliments on my perfume very often at all, though - once when I'd got into a friend's car that had been sitting in the sun, and my family will comment sometimes, but I think partly I don't look like someone who'd want anyone to say anything to me about my perfume! :P

Two threads that I think some of you might also want to take a peek at here in Recommendations: recs for the longest lasting BPAL scents, and recs for oils that have both throw and staying power.

If I apply directly from a 5 ml bottle, at a minimum I tip it onto a finger once for each wrist, once again for cleavage, once again for behind ears/hairline/run fingers through my hair. I also have a lot of oils I have decanted into roller bottles and then I just roll on till I am happy with the cloud. :P

I've narrowed down all the strong throws based on what I read here. What you think? Im thinking of ordering them because no one seems to be selling any. I like sweet and foody scents. But I've realised sweet and foody have the least throw. I've suddenly developed a liking for cinnamon type scents.

dragon's heart

snake oil

perversion

jack

chimera

loviatar

jailbait

love me

cockaigne

hell's belle

spellbound

bloodlust

In my experience the scents with the strongest throw have been.

The Caterpillar

Highwayman (This had a knock you out kind of throw, definately the strongest oil I have tried lol)

Euphrosyne

Snake Oil

Sugar Skull

Spellbound

Titania

Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo

Aizen Myoo

Most of the Dragon's Blood blends are quite throwy!

Having said all of that, I suppose it depends on your body chemistry and the batch of oil that you get, I've had 2 imps of the same scent that have had different amounts of throw....

It's really strange I've heard people say that Old Morroco and Dorian have lots of throw on them, these two oils completley dissapear on me....

Body chemistry is a funny thing!

Edited by ouch!

yikes. I just bought a bunch of imps. I hope they're from the batch which has good throw. if not it'll be a waste of my money. Why isnt there consistency? :P

Because all of the oils are blended by hand, so I suppose it depends on the batch.

Some oils age better than others too, plus the whole body chemistry thing..

The oil in Question is Blood Amber (omg love love) I have a bottle and two imps, one of the imps is significantly weaker than the other..so I think it's probably aging mainly that is the cause....

But don't worry, you'll find out which notes and blends work for you....

Like Gardenia is just WHOOOOSH on my skin, and Vanilla too, anything with vanilla is very strong...

There are soo many oils..it will take time to figure out...

It's all part of the fun of BPAL...

Edited by ouch!

It's also a matter of the materials Beth starts with... Depending on the season & the weather, batches of single note oils can vary significantly - Beth tries to find suppliers that provide consistant products, but some variation is the nature of the beast. IMHO, nothing you purchase from the Lab is a waste of money - it may not work on you, or be quite what you were expecting, but again, that's the nature of buying a product online - there's some risk, yes, but there can also be some lovely surprises. Anything that doesn't work for you can be swapped via the forums - that's how a lot of us test-drive scents, before committing to a bottle.

Good luck with your imps - those from your list that I've tried all had decent throw, esp Jack & Loviatar. I highly recommend applying a bit to your hair, along with the usual places - when I want to share my BPAL with the world, scenting my hair gets the best mileage...

Edited by tartchef

Oh I didnt know BPAL orders the oils from the suppliers. I thought they make it themselves. Which explains the price and uniqueness. Wonder who their suppliers are. I found cinnamon to be stronger on me. Throw wise I'm not sure. Sad because I really like foody/sweet scents more. Sweet scents are very light and fade really fast on me. I have skin which doesnt give off any throw from fragrances.

That's not the accurate list Im getting.

dragon's heart

bordello

jailbait

jester

chimera

love me

vixen

hell's belle

bloodlust

jack

lampades

saturnalia

snake oil

vice

wolfmoon

one of the receptionists at work commented that she could smell my gorgeous perfume (snake oil) from across the street on a windy day.....it was then i decided i was definitely a slatherer :P

Edited by TofuWarrior

Snake oil does have the most fantastic throw though! And yay because it's sooo gorgeous. That is the oil that always get's comments when I wear it!

dragon's heart

bordello

jailbait

jester

chimera

love me

vixen

hell's belle

bloodlust

jack

lampades

saturnalia

snake oil

vice

wolfmoon

Bordello and Lampades are two of my favorite scents, and they both have excellent throw and staying power on me. Jailbait does not - it's light and tends to fade very quickly from my skin.

Oh I didnt know BPAL orders the oils from the suppliers. I thought they make it themselves. Which explains the price and uniqueness. Wonder who their suppliers are.

I might not be reading this correctly, but I wanted to make it clear that BPAL "makes" all their oils. All the perfumes are hand-blended by Beth. However, since she can't hand-blend air, she gets the raw materials from different suppliers. It would be impractical for her to try to produce all the raw scents necessary to blend so many different perfumes - I don't think ANY one producer produces all the different oils. So "ordering oils from suppliers" means getting vanilla absolute, cocoa absolute, cinnamon oil, lavender, resins, etc. etc. from suppliers (though Beth may produce some of them herself, I don't know). BPAL itself is created entirely by Beth from these supplies - so yes, BPAL makes their oils. Believe me, the kind of blending and creating that she does is a full-time job without needing to add producing all the raw materials herself.

I also don't think BPAL is remotely expensive when you compare it to so many other commercial perfumes, especially when you take into account the hand-blending and quality of these oils. I think I saw someone work out once that if you took BPAL and offered it in the same alcohol-based formulas as department store perfumes, it works out to be LESS expensive.

And while there are inconsistencies from batch to batch, they are (as people have said) purely to be expected from a hand-blended, natural product, and except for the occasional re-formulation, have as much to do with aging and body chemistry as with differences between batches. It's the same way that skeins of yarn from different dye-lots can be slightly different. For a lot of people, this natural-ness of BPAL is a huge attraction. If you want something that smells absolutely the same each time it's worn and from person to person, then BPAL may not be the best product for you.

ETA: And I agree that nothing from the Lab is a waste of money. If you find a scent doesn't have the amount of throw you'd really like, you can put it in a locket, you can put it in lotion or soap, you can make a linen spray and scent your pillow with it, you can make an alcohol-based spray and see if it goes further that way, you can put it in an oil-burner as a room scent, and if all else fails, you can sell/swap it for something you like better. That's also in the nature of BPAL - there is no one person on whom ALL BPALs work. Sometimes you're not going to like it.

Edited by Anna D.

:P

and BPAL is the only kind of perfume that i will buy before i try as i know if it doesn't work for me, i can easily swap/ebay it to someone that loves it and i can buy more snake oil!

i'm trying to expand my perfume horizons within BPAL, but when half the office refers to me as the one that smells gorgeous and line up to sniff me, it's hard to want to try anything else other than snake oil....and try explaining to them that the smell they are addicted to is called that....could be worse, it could be smut!

Edited by TofuWarrior

Oh I didnt know BPAL orders the oils from the suppliers. I thought they make it themselves. Which explains the price and uniqueness. Wonder who their suppliers are.

I might not be reading this correctly, but I wanted to make it clear that BPAL "makes" all their oils. All the perfumes are hand-blended by Beth. However, since she can't hand-blend air, she gets the raw materials from different suppliers. It would be impractical for her to try to produce all the raw scents necessary to blend so many different perfumes - I don't think ANY one producer produces all the different oils. So "ordering oils from suppliers" means getting vanilla absolute, cocoa absolute, cinnamon oil, lavender, resins, etc. etc. from suppliers (though Beth may produce some of them herself, I don't know). BPAL itself is created entirely by Beth from these supplies - so yes, BPAL makes their oils. Believe me, the kind of blending and creating that she does is a full-time job without needing to add producing all the raw materials herself.

Yea I meant I didnt know the raw materials are from suppliers. I thought they make it themselves. Like it's more exclusive? Because wouldnt other etailers use the same supplier oils too? Do they use normal fragrance oil too? I've always wondered how fragrance oils are made. I know essential oils are from plants etc.

Yea I meant I didnt know the raw materials are from suppliers. I thought they make it themselves. Like it's more exclusive? Because wouldnt other etailers use the same supplier oils too? Do they use normal fragrance oil too? I've always wondered how fragrance oils are made. I know essential oils are from plants etc.

Well, there are a lot of different suppliers of the raw materials - for instance, you can buy essential oils like lavender, rose absolute, jasmine, etc., all over the internet, so I doubt there's any one supplier that all etailers buy from, even if all etailers were hand-blending their stuff, which a lot don't (not a criticism, just saying). Plus, I don't think there's anything at all exclusive to, say, lavender essential oil - where exclusive comes in is how Beth uses the oil.

I think the raw materials here work the same way they do with, say, professional bakers. I don't think most pastry chefs are out there growing wheat, harvesting the crop, and processing the wheat into flour, collecting the eggs from the chickens, and so on. Instead, they buy the flour, eggs, sugar, cream, chocolate, etc. and combine them to make an incredible cake. If someone handed me a pile of flour, eggs, butter, and so on, I wouldn't know how to make anything with them without following someone else's recipe. Beth is like the pastry chef who knows how to combine these things in slightly different ways to get amazing but different results each time. She could hand me the raw components that go into, say, Snake Oil, and I'd never be able to reproduce it in a million years. And just because one pastry chef gets her eggs from the same person that another pastry chef gets their eggs from. doesn't mean the final product will taste remotely alike.

Of course there are certainly variations in quality of flour, eggs, butter, etc., too, and the best chefs are only going to use the best and freshest ingredients. The Lab's the same way, they only use natural components in their oils, no synthetics (there's a thread about this in the FAQ), so they're only using the highest quality, natural stuff - kind of like using pure vanilla extract rather than the cheaper imitation. So it's not that they're necessarily using different ingredients than other etailers, but they're using only the highest quality. So if by "normal fragrance oils" you mean synthetics, the Lab doesn't use them. And I think the only thing "exclusive" to the Lab is Beth's genius in creating perfumes.

(Sorry, didn't mean to wander so far off the original topic!)

I want a perfume that can be smelled far from me. I want to be in the perfume cloud. Someone should not smell my perfume while close to me. It should be a head turner! Which BPAL blends have this property?