Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Scarecrow

An agricultural gargoyle. Though he is the Guardian of the Crops and Keeper of the Fields, his visage is still the stuff of nightmares. The scent of a hot wind blowing through desolate, scorched, barren fields.

Dry, dusty. The fields after the harvest has been pulled an only withered stalks remain, the scarecrow waving in the wind. Edited by Shollin

Erm, Elmers Glue? When wet? I can smell some kind of sharp floral...after the initial drydown it smells dry and kind of grassy, a little bit like...hay.

And Elmer's Glue. :headscratch:

Later still this sweetens, like sweet pencil shavings?! It's just like that perfume, y'know the one...I'm thrown right back into my childhood, and I love, love, love this scent right now, I hope it stays.

Oro

Hmm. I keep getting a soapy smell from this. It is a bit grassy, sweetgrass or something like that. I do get the dryness, but everything keeps getting covered with the soapy smell. oh well

Bounce dryer sheets.

That's what I get from application to drydown. It doesn't really morph on my skin. It's certainly not a bad scent... very fresh and green and sharp... I think I may smell some light floral tones on there. Hmmm... kinda smells like taking laundry out of the dryer. Interesting scent, just not for me.

I tried Scarecrow at a meet & sniff and loved it so much that I ran out and ordered a 5 ml.

And I like what is in the bottle, although it is very hard to describe...close your eyes. You are standing between two cornfields after the corn has been cut. The wind is blowing from the west, dust of thick black dirt is beginning to rise, the air is still a tad warm, but only just, and the threat of true winter chill is in the air.

That is what Scarecrow smells like to me. It is the kind of scent that I only wear on those cresting autumn days, sometimes with a touch of Jack, and it is just perfect for those moments.

In the bottle: Sweet and almost sugary. ... Whaaat? Not at all what I expected out of this. It's vegetative in an oddly dry, sweet, bright way. Not quite floral.

Wet on skin: Still sweet, but now it has a dry hot grassy undertone to it.

Dry on skin: ... I smell like a banana popsicle. It's that same sweet-artificial-yellow scent. Officially weirded out.

Over time: Banana popsicle, now new and improved with powder scent. :P

Overall: I wanted this to smell like hot dry grasses and dirt. Instead I got ... nasty banana popsicle. T.T Maybe it's my skin chemistry? Either way, yuk, not for me. 1/5

Bear with me this is my first review.

Wet: I smelled a strong woodsy scent.

After 15 minutes it mellowed out to a sweet fresh cut hay-bale with a non-feminine floral note. This scent makes me think of a spring green color.

Dry: I started to smell a bit of the scorched note others were talking about, but it still smells mostly like a fresh cut hay-bale. I'm not sure how something can smell scorched and fresh at the same time, but it does.

This lasts forever on me, I put this on yesterday afternoon and I can still smell after 16+ hours. (And yes I am going to go take a shower soon :D )

I'm not sure that I'm really keen on smelling like a hay-bale, but I think I'll give it a few more tries before I pawn it off.

This could be a good scent on my hubby, but I'd probably have to attack him with it to get him to put it on. :P

When I sniffed from the bottle I thought how true to the name it was..

I smelled a farmish hay grassie smell...

After about an hour of wearing it turned to Polo green (or classic whatever that green bottle is that was to popular in the late 80's and early 90's...the smell of this makes me vomit)

When I got home from work I tried to scrub this of and then my bf said um was some man holding Mia (our infant) and I was like no why....she smells like Polo..

sooo yeah not for me...going to sell, trade or throw out this scent.

I got an imp of this with a trade- thank you, sweetie!

So...scarecrow is supposed to be scorched, huh? Very odd.

I don't get anything scorched from this at all! In fact, this is very grassy on me, very alive. It's heated grass, warmed grass from the sun (achieved, I suspect by some warm honeysuckle?), but not at all burnt.

I also get a bit of sage from this- just a little bit, a tiny bit, but there's a herbal tinge that reminds me of weeds growing between the blades.

Scarecrow is a wee bit soapy, and slighty sweet, but it otherwise a primarily grass and light floral which is surprisingly beautiful and very wearable.

Grass scents are pretty popular, and I hope scarecrow gets some more attention for being the fine example of fresh green that it is. I was shocked to discover how pretty this went on and stayed on.

In Bottle: Clean, soapy

On Skin: This smells like a cleanser. I mean, it’s nice and obviously very clean smelling, but as a perfume? After a few minutes it mellows out some and warms up. I smell something musky and masculine, but with a golden tint... I’m not getting the green feel that others have mentioned. Maybe amber or myrrh? There is also a woody note that is quite sweet. This scent is comforting, like laying in a warm sunny field of dried out cornhusks… right before the autumn’s coolness sets in. While it does seem slightly more masculine, I like it on myself as a comfort scent. I really do feel better smelling this after the crappy day I had.

I never noticed this in the catalogue for some reason...maybe because the notes weren't listed, it didn't register.

But after re-reading the description, this is much lighter than I expected. My first impression is of burning candles. Or candles recently blown out. Light, green scents, something like a bamboo or green tea scent maybe, or a grassy green spring candle. But definitely that great burning wick and wax smell.

On my skin it does resemble a grassy cologne somewhat. It veers a little in the men's aftershave/cologne direction if it had a name with the word "grasse" or "verte" in it somewhere.

Bright grass green, waxy smoke and dry straw or hay are the impressions that I get. I like it quite a bit though I fear people smelling it on me may think it's just some sort of cologne because of its high, fragrant notes. Or they might say "is something burning in here?"

Despite that hint of candlesmoke it's still overall a very light scent, and not heavy or overly smoky. The dry straw and grass is a bit more prominent.

I think this would be great to wear in August or September but I might wind up using it before I get that far along in the year.

initially sharp and harsh, but dry down mellows it notably. Has a soft aroma of a backyard in the middle of a drought, and almost a dandilion floral smell to it. This reminds me vaguely of kansas in the middle of summer. For being such a mellow scent, i reallyl ike this a lot, due largely to the flashbacks i think.

In the bottle: very clean sweet grassy smell.

Wet: very clean sweet, sweet, SWEET (can you say SWEEEEET? I knew that you could) grass. I am surprised by how sweet it is, and I shouldn't really with honeysuckle in it.

Dry down: sweet grass, but the sweet is toning down a bit, which is good. I haven't gotten scorched grass. But warm grass. A field of golden, sun warmed, Autumn grass. This becomes almost "cologney" on me. But stays just this side of a perfume counter.

30 minutes: I love this! On my skin it becomes "masculine" and not floral, which is good. There are very rare exceptions to me wearing a floral. This "masculine" scent is right up my nasal alley, so to speak. Or would that be passage? :P This is wonderful.

Conclusion: again this is a scent, along with Jack, where I can have Autumn any time of the year. I can see myself using this when Texas summers seem to drag on forever, and what little Autumn we get will never come. I will use this to remind myself, that yes Virginia, there really is a Fall. :D

Rating 1-5, on my skin this is a 5.

This is the only scent I couldn't bring myself to try on. It smelled too much like bugspray in the bottle. I regifted it to a friend and hopefully she'll have better luck.

In the bottle: Hmm. This one is weird, and took me a while to work out as I sniffed it. Sort of a grey-green smell, not floral at all. More herbal. You know those stone cactus things? This is what you'd get if you licked one that'd been out in a Texas summer. (Kids, do *not* do this at home) Hard and grey-green, really immediate presence, and an almost tangible heat.

5 minutes: Tiny dab in the crook of my elbow. Hot and dry, smells like drier grass. Almost too heavy a smell, but just light enough to keep me coming back for more. As it is, it's lightening. Throw's getting stronger. I don't need to bring my elbow up to smell it. And the cats didn't run like hell, not like they did when I tried Ultraviolet out.

10 minutes: The scent's powdering down to dry grass, sweetening. Still herbal. Hey -- I figured out what it's like. You know when you were a kid and you got a popsicle onna steeck? So you finish off the popsicle, but you're not ready to stop just yet. So you keep sucking at that strip of wood until every last molecule of popsicle goo's gone and the wood flavor's branded itself on your brain. This is almost exactly like that. That taste of wood.

Approx. 30 minutes: Whoa. Now it's gone slightly musky-sweet. Where did that come from? Even though the layering of notes changed, it's still a very present smell.

Overall: This is an interesting scent -- I kind of like the non-floralness of it, but that's most likely because most of my previous experiences with perfume before BPAL were florals and fruits, and the odd spot of patchouli/sandalwood/cedar. BTW, I put it on before bed and about 7-8 hours later when I woke up, I couldn't smell it any more. And Danielkitty didn't give two hoots I had it on -- I pretty much had my elbow under his chin and it didn't get any reaction, positive or negative from him.

First try: Ish. It's not really a scent I'd wear all the time, due to its powdering down to almost too sweet. So, all in all, it's OK but not a thrilling scent.

Second try: That's just what I need -- the smell of hot summer grass. This is not grass that's warm and green; this is grass that's been baked dry until it's grey-yellow and crackly when you touch it. Hey, I hail from Texas. Figure that's as good a 'SCREW YOU' as any to depressing wet grey weather (oh, where is thy touch, Spring?). :P

So this gets a 4 out of 5.

In the vial:

Something bitter and "yellow"

On me:

Not really what I was expecting. This is kind of acrid and bitter and has a wierd funky yellow smell I can't identify. It turns almost immediately into a very cologney scent. I mean that in that it smells generically cologne like on me, it has that cologne vibe and seems much more appropriate for a man. Even then though I really don't get much else from this scent.

Final note:

That acrid yellow smell is really bothering me and it just seems really cologne like. Unfortunately I didn't get the same thing most people did

Based on the site description, I never would have tried this.

Based on the reviews, I never would have tried this.

As a frimp... I tried it.

I get absolutely nothing scorched out of this; like so many, I get the scent of fresh-cut hay. (Growing up, I lived in an area without any good horseback riding trails, so we'd ride circuits around hay fields. It smells just like those rides.)

On me, it stayed very green, very fresh. It actually got more green as the day progressed, until it started edging into a grassy scent - at which point I had to wash it off, as grass scents have the unfortunate side effect of making me nauseated.

I do like the green of the early scent enough to keep this around for a room scent, or as a scent for wearing to events that aren't going to last long, but it sadly is not going to be an everyday scent for me.

When wet, it's nail polish and a hint of sharp herbs - and, surprisingly, I don't want to wash it off.

It quickly dries down to a warm day on my parents' farm, the sun is low on the horizon, the hay bales are giving off the aroma of the day's worth of sunshine. The grass is waving in the breeze and the smell of sweet feed for the cows is wafting in and out. There's also a hint of honeysuckle.

I love this - it's not at all dry to me, and not particularly hot - just warm, soft, and lovely. This scarecrow doesn't scare me in the least!

For me this scent turned a little like toasted coconut after about 5 mins. Smells too strong in the bottle but mellows down lovely on the skin!

:P This was one of those surprising scents that you didn't think would work for you, but turns out to blend great with your chemistry. And talk about a chameleon changer! A little bitter and dry at first, but the subtleness of grass took over. Just like home as a kid and standing in the fields. You smell the sun, the fields, and a breath of flowers on the wind. Awesome!

In the bottle: Hot, dry grass in the sun.

Wet: Same as in the bottle, the grassy scent becomes stronger.

Drydown: This hardly changes between the bottle and drydown, which is very rare on me. I smell slightly citrusy grass and... heat. It's hard to explain, it smells like summer. Then after a while, the grassy smell disappears, and I'm left with a scent that's a bit like aftershave, fresh and clean, and slightly musky.

Overall: A rather masculine scent that's stunningly evocative of dry heat in a field. You can nearly feel the hot wind. You'd expect a scarecrow to smell like that, hot and dry and slightly musky. However it's a bit too masculine for me to wear, and it evaporates pretty fast. It's better as a room scent, for me. It would be really great on a man.

I really wanted this to work for me. Growing up in the country, I have all of these lovely memories of climbing around in hay lofts and fields on hot summer days. I wanted that smell. Instead, it goes all burnt plastic after a few minutes. In the imp it's grassy and warm, but evil on my skin.

Edited by bellis

very clean and green, but at the same time, empty and dusty. I see where people say it smells like clean laundry out on the line, but it's in the middle of autumn, where the clothes are cold when they come in. crumpled leaves, clean clothes.

In bottle: a very, very ozone-y hot grass/hay sort of smell.

On me:

Wet -- OZONE. Yet apparantly not whatever is in acquatic/ozone blends like Lightning and Sea of Glass that hates me so much. This is weird, but not unpleasant.

Dry -- It mellows to a beautiful sweet grassy scent with just a touch of ozone. I really, really like this one. It has what might be a very sweet sandalwood in it? Other than that and the ozone, there aren't any notes I recognize.

This smells exactly like the prairie after a rain. It is very grassy and green but I am also detecting a pear note as sweetness. Scarecrow is really lovely.