Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Scarecrow

An agricultural gargoyle. Though he is the Guardian of the Crops and Keeper of the Fields, his visage is still the stuff of nightmares. The scent of a hot wind blowing through desolate, scorched, barren fields.

The same slightly sweet, dried grass/hay as in Coyote blended with dark (black?) musk...pretty masculine, definately animalistic, and nothing I could ever wear =/

scarecrow

at first: very masculine. i think i get a hint of straw or hay, along with something that might be burning or burnt.

on: this is so beautiful. almost a bit sweet, but mostly very dry. gorgeous!

2.5 hours later: lighter and even drier. i can't describe why this is so beautiful to me. it's very calming and comforting.

4 hours later: dustier and not as sweet. very lovely.

overall: i adore this! i don't know if it will turn out to be bottle-worthy, but i'm definitely keeping my imp.

I scoffed at the notion that a scent with these lovely notes would smell like "nail polish" as so many have said - oh please, how could it possibly??!

But there it is - it smells like nail polish on me. Very acrid and chemical-ish.

After about an hour, i get more of a hay/grass scent, but more of a burning-the-last-of-the-field-to-make-it more-fertile-for-next-year than a hayloft filled with fresh hay. (Which bums me out as I love the smell of fresh hay at the stable.)

It's sort of okay at this point, but after a couple hours it goes back to a more perfume-y, chemical phase, albeit lighter and not so nuclear blast-like as the first go-round.

I'm really disappointed! I even tried layering Verdandi over it to give it some sweetness and more of the "harvest" feel that I was hoping for, but this Scarecrow immediately devoured all the apples (and my hopes.)

Scarecrow has turned into the scent I wear when reading the Sandman (I'm ploughing through the first batch of eleven as I get them). :P

It doesn't evolve much - but having skimmed this thread I'm most ecstatic that I don't get any of the nailpolish a few have described.

Scarecrow is a warmer-than-usual autumn evening while the sunsets - all I get the the burnt tinge of a fire in the long-distance, the scent of a heavy breeze (slightly charred) and hay. It's very dry all around, though I love the fact that its "heavy" quality adds to the sombreness of the blend.

Whether or not Scarecrow will become a big bottle is yet to be seen, since it isn't something I wear everyday.

A very lovely light, grassy, woody scent. I might have called it incensey, but that implies smokiness, I think. And it’s not smoky, but very fresh and airy. Like sunlight on sandalwood. Or like dried out prairie grasses. Very wearable, and very unique. This was a gift imp, and I am so glad I got to try it. I was drawn to the lab description, but I was put off by the other reviews and had not ordered it because of the iffy comments. So if you are on the fence—give it a try! It’s fantastic!

On me this smells like metallic 'gold', but not 'golden'. It's bars of gold that is placed under bright natural light and just shimmers with the faint dust motes in the air. I'm not really getting any of the 'green' scent that some mention, perhaps because I associate 'green' scents as fresh cut grass or stems and Scarecrow really isn't this scent on me. At first I'd discounted it because it smelled a little generically 'perfumy' but the more it sits on my skin the more I love it, I'm glad I didn't immediately toss this in the swap box. :P

Huh. I was expecting hay, and Scarecrow is lovely sweet grass with no sourness to it at all. This isn't a dry scent on me, though I was sure it would be. It reminds me of high summer, warm wind over fields.

Unexpected. And not nearly as masculine as I imagined. Pleasant surprise!

This one smells exactly like nail polsh remover to me, in the bottle, on my skin wet, after it dries, and an hour later....still nail polish remover.

There really isn't much more for me to say.

This wasn't a very good scent for me :/

If there was ever a scent that made me truly believe that Beth is a genius, it's this one! Not that I ever questioned it, but now I have incontrovertible evidence. :D

I adored the smell of Scarecrow in the imp -- it's green with a little dryness, precisely that time of year when things are still green, but beginning to dry out. Warm, sunny, with a hot, dry wind blowing -- just like the western edge of the great plains, where I live.

I placed a tiny bit on my skin and within 5 minutes, my very reliable skin amps were blaring out the aroma of warm musk. I'm sure there's not a great deal of this in Scarecrow, but my body will always move warm musk to front and center. Unfortunately, it smells like ass on me, so I washed it off. But, this is the brilliant part of the scent -- to me, it captures the smell of a man who has come in from working in the hot, grassy, drying fields. Big, strapping, sweaty fellas in jeans and chambray shirts coming in from harvesting the fields. Mmmmm...

I gave the imp to my husband to test and it smells great on him, very masculine, very clean and natural. I'll probably buy a bottle of it for him, 'cause it is nice.

valentina :P

Wet, this smells like walking into my grandparents' barn--warm, slightly dusty hay.

As it dries, the sharp, acrid smell of the hay comes out and it smells just like playing hide-and-seek among the haybales.

Uncanny. How in the world did Beth pull this off? :P A scent that smells like hay--real live horses-and-cows-eat-this hay, not sanitized-for-your-protection-as-sold-in-craft-stores hay (that's usually labelled 'straw').

Absolutely amazing. :D

I don't know if I want to smell like hay, but I'll keep the imp for impromptu nostalgia induction.

This one is an autumny hay scent. I think it would be great as a room scent, possibly layered with another autumn scent. On my body, though, it just didn't work.

In the bottle,

Sweet, dry hay, just between the grass and fully dry stage, like the fields where my sister and I used to play

Dry on my skin

exactly the same. I love this scent and I'll probably wear it around the house a lot.

I may even get a bottle for my "Long Halloween" Scarecrow costume.

The description of this one fascinated me from day one, but I wasn't sure I'd like; it just sounded too ominous.

So... why does it end up smelling so sweet and innocent on me? :P

Wet, I get a hint of the "cleaning fluid" phenomenon, but that dissapates quickly. This is a light yellow-green scent to me, sweet, with a bit of sharpness. Partially dried hay mixed with... baby powder. Grassy, yet smelling of babies. Babies in sunny fields. Um, yeah. I like it, but it's definitely odd on me. Comforting and pleasant, but very quirky.

In the bottle: I'm not getting barren, dry fields from this at all. I'm getting...cleaning products.

A few drops of this splashed out onto my skin when I opened the imp to sniff, and the cleaning-product scent kind of resolved itself into a rounder, sweeter version of...Windex?

Actually, I know somebody who may want this. *g*

In the bottle:

Cleaning fluid and candle wax.

Wet:

Still with the cleanser and candle wax. Yuck.

Drydown:

Gah, this scent is bizarre. I agree with everyone who said this smells like masculine cologne, but that's not it entirely. There's a dry grassiness, but not the nice kind in Coyote. It reminds me a bit of Nyarlathotep as well.

Whatever it is, I don't like it at all, which means of course it's clung all evening. Bleah.

(I'm 99% certain I'm the person shayelea thinks would like this, given my bizarre predilection for Windex, but I already had an imp -- I'd have been happy to get Windex-scent instead of what I actually got. :P)

Scarecrow

In the imp: hay! A sharp, piercing, golden straw scent.

Wet on skin: something grassy and slightly sweet emerges from the hay.

Dry on skin: oh my, this really does smell like dry fields of straw, fresh haystacks, a golden-green scent of dried grass and grain, wheat stalks…and something oily. Something about this scent reminds me of vegetable oil! :P It's also got something sun-scorched and arid about it…and there's a bright, almost piercing sap/resin scent here too. But despite those other odd notes, it really does smell like a dried up field in the middle of a fierce heat wave.

After a while: is that pine I smell here? It has that sap like quality to it. I get straw and grass still, but also dry woods now. Like the smell of a lumberjack's workshop, or all the sawdust that stuffs the scarecrow and the wooden pole he is supported on. And it still has something oily to it…after an hour I get a light, sandalwood like, sawdust scent.

Verdict: another unusual, unique scent. it evokes haystacks and golden fields of ripe grain, dry grasses, the arid heat of August. Strangely, I get scents of cooking oil, tree sap and wood from it as well, but it's a fascinating concept for a scent, and does bring to mind the heat of late summer.

First of all, I should say that I find even just the description of this scent scary. Eeek, I'm a wimp. It is also fascinating to read the reviews of this scent; it seems like it is very hit or miss depending on skin chemistry. Alas, I am one of the ones this does not work on at all. I don't get the straw or the grass or the musk; I just get the chemical scent, kind of sharp and green. Glad I could try it though. I still see that scarecrow leering at me..... :P

I love this in the imp! It is so fresh and gorgeous. It reminds me of driving Wisconsin on a moonlit night: tall prarie grasses, sweet fresh hay. It's just lovely. Sadly though, on me, it turns right into pencil shavings. Not my kink. This is the 13th BB scent i've tried, and not a single one has worked yet. :P

n.

Trying to pin down what might be in Scarecrow is difficult. I'm getting what seems like a base of cedar and sandalwood, some kind of musk, and the mystery note that gives it that astringent twang that has been described above as cleaning fluid-esque. To me, it smells a bit like nail polish remover or Comet (which I actually used to enjoy the smell of).

Scarecrow definitely is dry and gives the impression of sunlight in the fall, and there is something ominous about it. It's not for me, but I'm really glad I got to try it out.

I would have loved Scarecrow to smell like hay! I do get a faint whiff of that at the very start, but alas! Mostly this is just acrid on me -- actually burns the back of my throat, and nothing sweet or woodsy or hay-ish about it. I wanted a hay scent! :P

On Himself, who usually brings out much different notes than I do, it's basically the same.

Oh, well. So many BPALs work for us, I guess we can't complain when our chemistries reject one. I wouldn't go by our experience, here; so many people get good things from Scarecrow, I think you need to try it for yourself. I can imp you up. :D

oh I love this.

Its very grassy. I used to wear Grass, from the Gap. This is its deeper, more mature cousin. Its slightly smokey, a little dryer, but with hay on top. Maybe the hay from the scarecrow himself on top of the grass.

This is just beautiful

Sharp and yellow-y green. This has a strong pine sol like overtone to me. It is very brash and quite strong (or perhaps I overapplied...). It is very masculine. As it dries some of the sharpness wears off but the dominant note is a cologney sort of pine.

Bland. Bland like a Very Bland Thing.

This is about the most featureless scent I've encountered since Incantation. But where that was Lemon Nothing, this is sort Men's Aftershave Nothing. A faint, not very interesting, masculine scent, with really very little to make it stand out in any way.

I'm not getting anything sharp or acrid like others have described. It's vaguely green and grassy, but nothing like "scorched, barren fields" on me. It would probably be an OK scent for a guy who wanted a fairly subtle and generic everyday scent, but when BPAL has so many more interesting alternatives, why bother?

Grade: C-

bear in mind i live in the UK.....the usual smell around here is wet grass and mud! scarecrow smells just how i imagine those barren, red dusty landscapes would smell. the scorching sun warming the dust and dead corn stalks......not sure it's a perfume for me, but it gives me an odd feeling when i smell it. i'm transported into the landscape....even if i didn;t like the scent i'd like it just for that power.

I am not sure about this scent.

It sort of reminds me of Wyoming in Autumn. I can't really make more of a description because it doesn't last long on me.

Hmmm, will have to try again. :P