Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Scarecrow

An agricultural gargoyle. Though he is the Guardian of the Crops and
Keeper of the Fields, his visage is still the stuff of nightmares. The
scent of a hot wind blowing through desolate, scorched, barren fields.

This up-and-coming scent is still listed as a work in progress, so the Imp I received with my order may or may not be what it turns out to be when it's released.

At first, Scarecrow reminded me of cleaning my stove while it's still hot, but accidentally spraying some of the cleaning fluid too close to the burner. Absolutely a scorched, wet-turned-dry, and harsh smell when first applied to my skin.

After a moment, though, Scarecrow is a slightly disturbing, oddly comforting blend of desiccation and dried grass - I can easily picture the stubble of a harvested crop, dried husks blowing across a Dust Bowl era field, and ground so thirsty it can barely offer its scent up to the stuffy-guy standing watch over it.

Half an hour later, this is soft and light, but with a definite presence. It's golden, but not in the limpid sense of Aureus or dusty in the wooden sense of Seance. I'm used to Oklahoma's red clay and the black earth of Nebraska, but this is the faded, sun-dried, and cracked yellow earth landscape of Roland Deschain in Stephen King's Gunslinger series.

I started out thinking I wouldn't be wearing this regularly, but I can't stop sniffing my wrist. It's going on my to-order list, without question.

Wet, it conjures fond memories from my childhood. It's a very familiar smell, and I associate that smell with my grandmother. I want to say she had a scented candle or a perfume that smelled similar to Scarecrow while wet. Or maybe it was some kind of cleaner she used (see jj_j's previous post.)

Dry, it smells very intriguing and, well, masculine. I can't pick out any specific notes, but I can't stop sniffing my wrist. As soon as DH got home from work I put some on him. Fabulous!

This will definitely be in my next order AND should be added to the list of scents for men.

Edited by Scylla

dry..grassy..green.. masculine..

my mom completely ADORES it.

This VERY much sums up this scent.

Dry. Grassy. Green. Masculine.

First whiff from imp: Kind of manly. VERY fresh. Reminds me of what my Dad smells like when he's fresh out of the shower, in fancy clothes, and ready to go out someplace special. It has to be something like one of his colognes, But he has hundreds, so I'll have to have him sniff it and tell me.

On skin: Still very fresh. Strong. There's a powdery hint to it. But now it smells more like a place that is very special to me... my friends's "circle" down in their woods. Just past the circle, there is a huge field, and this scent on my wrists smells just like what drifts over from there during the early summer.

About half an hour on skin: The scent is much lighter now, and I like it even more. I can REALLY smell the green element to it. I smell some kind of woody smell I didn't notice before.

Fantastic. Just fantastic.

-Leslie

I like this scent VERY much. It's masculine and green, as others have said; it puts me in mind of the breeze on the first cooling days at the end of September, the change of seasons. I get a very "golden" feel from it, as of drying grass and bright sunlit afternoons.

Another vote for green (but a light green, not foresty) fresh & most assuredly masuline.

yet another I threw Red's way as I liked it very much with it's dry arid summery feel, but again, this is one for the blokes. Lovely but better smelt on your man then on oneself

Initial Impression:

A warm, golden outdoorsy smell. Makes me think of a wheat harvest.

After Wearing It:

First on this smelled like a combination of heat and alcohol. Not a musky sort of heat, but like that strong, scalding blast you catch when you open the door to the outside during August. The alcohol is similarly dry in that it's not a sweet, wet booziness. It's like strong, homemade meade or ale, very dry, acrid, golden, yet oddly satisfying. It's an outdoorsy smell to be sure, but not at all green on me. It's gold and straw colored like tall grasses and the first early harvest.

Later it sweetens up, there's still that beerlike quality, but it runs over an undercurrant of sweet, strong winds and wild flowers. Towards the end it smelled like hot, sweat oats and grain.

Final Thoughts:

All and all it's a great scent, very familiar to me as an Oklahoman, though I'm not quite sure how I feel about it as a perfume. Will have to give this one a few more trial runs before I decide!

I've not read any of the other reviews yet, so let's see how off I am. Usually, things don't smell the same on me ...

On me, I'm not just smelling the straw and the heat that warms the Scarecrow, but the post it's on as well. There's wood in here, but I can't place quite what it is.

This isn't as dark a scent as I expected. It's bright, almost smelling hot at times. I think that's the point of it, though. I like it - I was afraid it would be closer to Sol, which didn't do well on me at all. But this is much softer in it's 'heat'. Less aggressive.

I was hoping to smell like Oz. I suppose I'll have to settle for this. It's a nice thing to settle for, and I don't have to give up my brain. :P Bravo, Beth.

Edited by Salice

Initial Sniff: Sun-baked, grassy... I don't know how this scent manages to be both dried out and fresh, golden and green at the same time, but somehow it does. Even more surprising - it works!

Wearing: I am in love with this scent for the first half hour. It is all sun-baked fields in late summer/early fall, when things are growing and dying side by side. I obsessively sniff my wrist, then the unthinkable happens... Body Chemistry. Something in this scent goes completely acrid and I smell like burnt battery acid. It is just awful.

Final Impressions: Hopefully this one will agree with the boy and I will be able to obsessively sniff him, because I LOVE this scent!

First sniff is cleaning polish / fluid, next sniff the same but scorched.

As this is drying I am starting to smell hay and straw. I’m thinking of corn dollies, hay lofts and stubble-burning. Although different, this scent is really lovely.

This becomes a wonderful perfume; dry, pretty, gentle and totally stunning.

I was unable to identify any individual notes in this, I just fell in love. I didn’t expect to, this wasn’t on my ‘wish list’ this is Beth knowing better than me what I’ll like.

FIRST SNIFF: sweet grassy meadows....

WEARING IT: very pretty, i'm not getting a burnt smell, but something sweet, maybe a bit dry and comforting. dried, cut grasses. i'm having a hard time putting down into words what this scent makes me feel and think of, it sure is lovely though!

VERDICT: pretty indeed, i'll definitely use up my imp :P

In the bottle- Fresh Cut Hay! The farm in springtime. Greenish- living plants

On me- Fresh bundled Hay! The farm in autumn. Makes me want to go on a hayride.

This wasn't on my wish list and I didn't think i'd like it when I got it as an extra in my order. But after re applying it. I do like it A LOT.

It's clean and light green, chrisp and warm. It smells like the local park here that my Clan gathers. Just the park nothing else. Takes me back to Mabon sitting on a rock watching everyone, after the Ritual, just have fun and my just sitting and taking in the smells and sounds of everything. I want more...

As soon as this hit my skin, all I could envision was this painting.

I'm not getting the fresh green that other people are, though it's a comforting scent (unlike that painting, which always gave me the creeps.)

If this had a touch of bayberry, it would be the smell of my paternal grandparents' house when I was growing up. They were surrounded by cornfields belonging to the neighbor's dairy farm.

Edited by roisnoir

Jason absolutely loves this scent .. and we really got it for him anyway .. but I had to at least try it. I have to preface this with saying I have not been able to get the image of the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz out of my head since I first head of this scent.

In the bottle: Very crisp, very acrid smelling, but not really harsh. Not yet dead grasses in an overgrown field.

Wet: Wow. This is a powerful scent. I think I might have put on too much, as I wasn't thinking this would be too strong. But that's okay. I like it. It's not floral, and not foody, and neither is it sweet. The best think I can describe this as is woody .. but not in the way of Aureus and Cathedral are on me. No cedar to irritate my nose.

Wearing: It's not mellowed yet, but I don't think it needs to. This isn't what I imagine I'd wear a lot for perfume .. it smells more masculine to me than feminine. But I don't mind that sometimes. It's a warm autumnal scent which is something I've been lookinf gor too .. not a scent to burn for autumn, like in incense .. but to wear.

Great googa mooga!

Scarecrow has just beat out Lust in my husband's eyes. He finds it even sexier on me (and I have troubles wearing it to bed without being awakened for other activities when he gets home from work).

Bottle: Very green, but a good green. Fresh cut grass green. Liking it already.

First on: Wet, it's still green, even stronger, but there's something hiding under it now, darker, sun-dried hay.

Dry: Running through a hayfield, with a boy you aren't quite sure you want to let catch you giving chase. Young, wild, and teasing. Wait ... it's changing.

Something richer and spicier that I can't ID coming through on me. It's going from flirty and green to sensual and Hot. The heat is building, and I think I've just let that boy catch me after all. Sun-sweat, the earned hardwork satisfying sweat underneath it.

Dry down: Hubby tried to bite me. Then he did. It reaches that sexy grass sweat, dry hay, golden sun heat and stays there without changing. I have a cat that doesn't like Mommy smelling just showered, and she'll refuse to cuddle in my lap if I'm "too" clean for her tastes. She LOVES Scarecrow, and will fight for my lap when I'm wearing it.

Lasts a very long time on my skin.

This is such an amazing keeper. There's a 5 or 10ml in my future of this one.

Holy mother of Ganesh! I remember liking this scent when I smelled it as an Imp's Ear that I ordered. My husband just put it on and it's totally amazing! He smells wonderful! Manly with also a feel for fresh out of the dryer scent. I'm looking forward to trying this one myself!

(love love love!!) :P

I am not very good at picking out individual notes in fragrances...and this is my first review...so bear with me...

Scarecrow to me smells crisp, green, and woodsy. The first thing that came to mind was that I smell like I've been rolling around in the hay with a good ol' boy...this being said, I will pass this imp off to my husband and go in search of a more feminine scent. However, this is definitely one of my faves! :P

This one is in my swap box.

Not because I hate it - but because I adore it. But moreover I would like to adore it on the little spot where my beloved's neck meets his shoulder. I'm sending it to him to see what he thinks.

Put this on this morning and immediately scrubbed some off because it was so intense. THe sharp, almost acrid smell in the bottle eased out into exactly what the description says. This is a scorched, hot, heat baked hay field - the sort you and your horse get lost in on long trail rides. This is possibly why I like it so damn much. Hot winds, dry grasses, and a good gallop.

Dry, tinder-box ready grasses and strong spiced earth. It's definitly too much of a masculine scent for everyday use but I'm seriously contemplating ordering a second imp so me and the beloved can both play with this one. Purr.

Also wondering, on that horse theme, if adding De Sade to this would be good or just too positively sinful for words.

I swear I thought I reviewed this already...hmm... anywho.

This is the BPAL scent that took my "virginity", so to speak. I was amazed by the sharp, crisp, and intoxicating scent of green. I had no idea it was possible to bottle such a scent!

However I didn't like the drydown so much the first time..it kind of morphed into an intense "perfume-y" scent that was a mishmash of strong floral scents. Since then I've worn it a few other times and the drydown doesn't bother as much as it did...instead I just put a fresh dab on to bring back the intense green.

This smells positively lovely on my bf, even in the drydown.

Reminds me of what my Dad smells like when he's fresh out of the shower, in fancy clothes, and ready to go out someplace special. It has to be something like one of his colognes, But he has hundreds, so I'll have to have him sniff it and tell me.

!!!!

That's it exactly, Boo! I smelled this on the skin yesterday and I immediately thought "OMG, this smells just like Boo's DAD!!"

Now I'm really curious...we must investigate.

I love this, BTW.

:P

first impression: gah, get it off me, I smell like a cleaning product

however, I took the first impression out back and hit it with a stick, waiting for it to dry the cleaning smell vanished and the whole thing got a slightly sweet/grassy note I hadn't got before...

Now, dry, it smells a little like a shampoo I use, which is good, the other night while washing my hair I wondered if there was a perfume with that type of scent.... (the shampoo in question is charles worthington ~ dream hair)

it just goes to show how wrong a first impression can be, this definately goes on my 5/10ml list....

First sniff: Tall grass, and there’s a weird soapy note around the edges. The overview makes me want to sneeze.

Wearing: Scarecrow might be the most intensely yellow scent I’ve ever smelled. There’s still an edge of soapiness, but the center is huge fields of yellow grass waving in the wind.

Body chemistry strikes again! I am getting a dry, grassy scent when I put this on, but I'm ALSO getting something that smells like a dirty guinea pig's cage... something very herbivore-poop-like.

The poopy smell goes away in about 15 minutes, but then it just smells like old lady drugstore perfume.

:P

I'll make Mr. L try it on, and see what it does for him, because everyone else's reviews sound so wonderful!

In the bottle and when drying, this smells like nail polish remover. After an hour or so, this smells like gasoline poured over dry corn stalks in the scorching sun, which isn't a bad thing--really!. Right now, after five hours, the smell is different, it makes me think of blue and green. It's hard to say what it smells like, because the smell is as if it's hiding near my skin. More like dry nail polish remover now.