Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Scarecrow

An agricultural gargoyle. Though he is the Guardian of the Crops and Keeper of the Fields, his visage is still the stuff of nightmares. The scent of a hot wind blowing through desolate, scorched, barren fields.

I got the nail polish smell as well. However, it disappeared on my skin, and just smelled vaguely like dry hay. I'm not a huge fan of hay in perfumes.

In the vial: Hay and perfumer's alcohol.

On me: Perfume on application—it's that sort of nondescript perfumey scent that's mostly perfumer's alcohol, but not entirely so; it's also very light. The scent warms post-drydown, but remains thin: golden, warm, but I wouldn't say hot; retaining an airy perfumery quality that tries to mimic winds but doesn't entirely succeed. Long into the wear length the scent becomes fainter but more polished, losing much of that perfuminess and gaining something of an amber base note with a barely sweet edge. All in all a strange scent—it's almost but not quite a single note, but that single note is more of an impression than a scent. It's an apt but not perfect echo of its inspiration: the wind-blown hay fields are there, but they're not scorched. Throw is low. Wear length is moderate.

Verdict: I don't get the harshness that others get, and thank goodness for that. I'm not overly fond of the scent's various similarities to commercial perfume, but I do like it's late, toned-down stage. This is one to test again (and in large quantities) to finalize my impression. So far I'm intrigued but not quite satisfied, in part because of the similarities to commercial perfume, in part because I wish the scent had the punch of its description—instead it's faint, if more palatable.

Edited by Juushika

I get it, I understand why people are saying nail polish. But man, there is something very very strange about this blend. Evocative, dry harsh grasses and hay, with the dried out earth underneath. This IS a scary scent...very "desolate crows cawing and no one around for miles," sinister.

Shivery good scary, like a phenomenal horror movie.

In the imp: I am not good at picking out notes, I see colors in my head instead! And this one is a soft yellow! I get soapy floral and old person from it though..

On me: At first it was the same soapy floral as in the imp, but then it turned into an aftershave my grandfather used to use all the time when I was younger. Very strange, but at the same time comforting!

An hour later: I still smell like my grandfather!

Overall: This one is not for me, I might have to give this to my grandfather, hahah! It's a bit too masculine for my taste. I only applied a drop to my skin, but after two scrubs I can still smell it if I press the nose to my wrist.

Did I get a migraine: No! Thankfully!

I originally ordered an imp of this for my husband. At first sniff, it was just like, "WOW. GREEN." but not necessarily in a good way. It was overpoweringly green and a very masculine scent. We tried it on him, but it didn't work with his chemistry. I dabbed a little on me, but soon washed it off because it was just so green. So...it stayed in my perfume box collecting dust for about half a year. Now and then, I'd look at it, take it out and sniff it, but I'd just put it right back. I was totally underestimating this perfume.

Reading through various reviews, I found it interesting how many people will initially dislike a scent and come back to it later, loving it. I was curious...so I decided to try scarecrow again. Not to give up and wash it off, but leave it on for a while. I was very surprised to see how the scent changes. For all its overpowering green manliness in the bottle and even while wet, when dry, scarecrow loves me. It becomes sweet. Sweet hay. It's beautiful and with my chemistry, it's become something completely feminine. I can't stop sniffing my wrists.

It's not harsh at all. It's soft and sweet and alluring. I can't believe how Scarecrow changed! Because of it's soft nature, it does fade...but my husband assures me he can still smell it when I can't and I don't mind reapplying it after a while.

3+ out of 5

This is sort of a hot, dry grass/hay scent. Not as zomg!GREEN as others reviewers have felt it to be. Actually sort of subdued and pleasant.

Yeah, this would not normally be a me kind of scent, but I am finding this surprisingly enjoyable. Soft light green/dry hay scent. There's also something weirdly nostalgic about this to me...I can't put my finger on why. It also almost has a touch of sweetness to it. Again, I am not usually a fan of hay scents or green scents, but this is super pretty...

Seriously, I never thought a hay scent would be for me, but there is something almost light and pretty about this on my skin. Soft sweet hay and a touch green and perfumey. I could almost see myself wearing this. It continues to dry down beautifully.

This was sort of a surprise hit for me. I don't think I would need a full bottle, but I would definitely be on the lookout for a low partial. A beautiful, gentle sweet hay scent that is just so totally wearable!

I was really curious to see what this smelt like on me. Overall, I can imagine a dry, barren landscape with this scent - but it is too sharp and harsh for me to wear ... kind of gave me a headache and I had to wash it off after about 10 minutes. This strikes me as being quite a masculine scent. It still lingered after I washed it off, so it has good staying power. Scarecrow is not for me.

I just received my imp of Scarecrow and applied a bit. It started out burnt-plastic -- "nail polish remover" is not a bad descriptor -- then ten or so minutes later, acquired a definite whiff of banana candy. I don't even know, man. Hang on, let me clear my nose and see how it is now... yep, banana candy, just fainter than before. I don't even.

//edit: And the bit I accidentally got on the side of my finger smells like bananary grass. Seriously what

Edited by Eschezhivet

In the Imp (ITI): Yep, that’s hay and something that is overly perfumey, like car freshener scent.

Wet: On my skin, it smells like hay and carpet cleaner. Hmm, not what I was expecting.

Dry: The hay scent has vanished and all I’m left with is the light scent of used dryer sheets. That’s a nope for me.

Going by the description, this is not something I would have chosen by myself so I am glad somebody frimped it to me, because it is unique and evocative both on the skin and from the imp.

The scent carries a really harsh heat and a kind of solar enery that brings to mind golden fields of wheat restlessly burnt by the sun, where everything is eeringly silent and still but for the occasional crow cawing loudy in distance - it's subtly spooky, something I would wear in the summer before sitting down to my laptop and write a good old horror story.

I'm definitely impressed, even if this stayed very light on me for now.

ETA - 3 hours later, can tell the scent doesn't last very well on me and it fades to something that resembles Brimstone. I love Brimstone, but I favor that one over Scarecrow.

So... I'll be definitely using my imp but no bottle in my future for what I can tell.

I rate it 3/5 but I remain impressed by its evokative power. Also, you never know, maybe it will surprise me as I keep using it.

SCARECROW

In Vitro Blind test. The first impression was spice and a curious "coolness".

Wet Freshly applied to my wrist, I didn't get spice. Instead the inhale started citrusy and ended with coolness at the back of my throat. After a minute I decided that this was tangy but not citrus. Perhaps an aquatic note? The tanginess receded in favor of a not-very-sweet cologne scent with just a hint of musty lemon.

Drying The same but fading rapidly. After ten minutes or so the overall scent changed but I couldn't find a way to describe it. In the end it was extremely faint, not sweet, and unidentifiable.

I tried Scarecrow again a few nights later and this time I detected a hint of grass when fresh and faint but distinct acetone (nail polish remover) in the drydown. Not awful, but nothing I was keen to wear and certainly not the exotic scent I hoped for.

Working my way alphabetically through all of my BPAL scents -- new and old, imps and bottles, ones I chose and ones that I acquired via frimp or lagniappe. This was a Lab frimp from my most recent purchase. It is, to the best of my knowledge, completely new to me.

IN THE IMP: It really does smell like heat, if heat has a smell. Clean heat.

Dabbed on one wrist and the crook of that arm.

WET: Surprisingly, I seem to be getting a very slightly fruity resiny scent mixed with dryer sheets straight out of the laundry.

DRYDOWN: Yup. Fruity. Kind of like hops or grain, though. Very beige. I think I am getting a lot of interesting throw but will add that I am test-driving this at the same time that I have School House on the other arm and the two are very similar so during drydown I am not totally sure which notes are coming from which arm. But it's sweet and dry and surprisingly delicious.

OVERALL: This is definitely, to me at least, a "guy scent." Not that it smells bad on me. It doesn't. But I feel it's not something I could or would wear though I love sniffing it. (Note: I feel the same way about School House this time around and though my husband is not a scent wearer, I am going to "regift" him with both imps and see if he'd be willing to wear either/or. If not, they'll go onto swap list so someone else's guy can smell awesome).

On a scale of 1-5, a 3.5 but for someone else, preferably male.

So, I've had my imp of Scarecrow for about a year, but never bothered to review it because I honestly never thought I'd wear it. Initially, it just smelled like nail polish remover, such that I didn't want it anywhere near my skin. It wasn't until recently that I tried it once more, wanting to find out if aging had done anything to improve it, or if it should be relegated to my collection for swapping. And...I'm still not sure.

In the imp, it still smells a little like nail polish remover. It's dry and a bit abrasive, but there's a hint of something less unpleasant underneath that makes me hopeful.

On my skin, it's really almost nonexistent, save for a smell that seems dry and a bit like the hot, dry summer winds that come through my town, with traces of dry grass underneath. Not quite getting the sort of smells I associate with hay, like others have mentioned, but definitely dry grass of some sort. Not bad, not really much of anything, though.

I think I'll keep it, just to use the imp. Not something I'd really buy for myself, but it's...interesting. Especially now that the worst of its acetone-like scent has faded.

ETA: ...bluh. Okay, definitely have to be careful with this. It can and will make my stomach turn if I wear it, especially if I have a headache.

Edited by Mokiefraggle

First Sniff: An aquatic flour, maybe lily?

Initial Wet Application: Still lily but with a bit of an astringent note to it. It's light and reminds me of some sort of cleaning agent.

Beginning Dry Down (first 15 minutes) & Dry: As it completed its dry down after about five minutes I was getting a dry smell; not dusty plywood like in Miskatonic University thankfully, just dry.

My Reaction: Perhaps the lily I thought I was smelling is actually sweetgrass. As I try to focus on identifying individual notes I think I can catch a hint of dry hay, but it's mixed with something else; some sort of warm spice. It seems vaguely familiar, but I don't know what it is. Either way, even after double application it's still very light on me. Perhaps I should try applying these to someplace other than my wrists? Bonus points for originality, but minus points for faintness. Although I'll probably hang on to this one just so I can start my own Oz collection. ;)

Rating: 2.5

Bottle: In the bottle, it's an almost medicinal dryness.

Wet: Wet, there's an immediate warmth, like sun beating down on dry land. It's very grassy, with a hint of hay. But it's green, not golden, to me. It's almost like burnt out grass hitting damp patches of riverbed. There's a damp quality to this, almost an aquatic? There's a sharp, green "up" tinge to it that keeps the heat from settling. I agree with the "cleaning agent" comments - that's definitely how it hit me. Astringent, not acidic.

Dry: This has lightened/warmed up considerably, and it. is. awesome. Sunny, warm. Still grassy, but more hay-grassy than green-grassy. Hay and suntan oil (the good kind) and lying out in the yard with a beer. -- nice and smoky. Mmm. Fabulous.

A few hours later: Still warm, still dry, still can't stop sniffing my wrist. Not dusty, not grassy, not green -- definitely golden, definitely arid, not overly powdery. This is early fall to me -- like August/September -- still hot and dry and burnt out fields, hay rides and falling leaves and cider and crisp wind. Hot days and cool nights.

I can see how people would view it as masculine, but it's got the kind of quality that curls around the edges, embracing the particularity of the wearer. Like an old plaid and beat up boots, honestly -- just depends on who's they are. :)

Edited by curlsandpearls

I thought I had done my review of this already...but I don't guess I did. here goes :)

in the imp: Sharp and sort of knocks your head back. Very strong chemical smell. Very aggressive and unsettling. I really don't care for it on the bottle.

Wet: As a poster above me said...this smells like heat. Hay, sun, dry dust, Dried scorched ground, end of summer hay fields...and finger nail polish remover

On Skin: I am picking up the dandelion, but still lots of hay, lots of sun, lots of heat, thankfully finger nail polish remover faded away

Dry: Aaaannnndddd it's all gone. No staying power on me at all! That is a shame because I was starting to enjoy this. This is not a thing you wear, its a mood. It's a hot August day that was captured in a bottle. Would be very nice to break this out in the dead of winter.

I won't be buying a bottle but I will cherish this imp for sure

In the imp: Sharp, sweet, and resin-y? I'm not good at identifying resins, But that's wha this strikes me as. Or maybe raisin. :)

Wet on skin: I think I'm getting jasmine from this now? Or gardenia. A sweet, white floral.

Dried down: Still sweet and white.

Throw: I'm not really getting any throw from this.

Verdict: *** This is rather pretty, but I don't think it's for me. I'm just not getting that special sense from it.

In the imp: I don't know how they do this, but this perfume does indeed smell just like the description! I can pick out a few individual notes that smell familiar to me, but I can't quite identify them.

Wet on skin: Similar, but one of the familiar notes is now standing out a lot more. It has sort of a savoury-food feel to it now.

Dry on skin: Savoury-ish cooking spices? I'm not sure what I'm smelling right now, but I'm not loving it!

After a few hours: It's almost completely gone. I have to sniff really closely & I'm still hardly finding anything.

Verdict: I'm honestly not sure how I feel about this. Normally I love the really evocative notes - even if they go bad on my skin, I like keeping the imps around to sniff occasionally just for fun, but I don't think I'll be keeping this one.

In the (well-aged) imp: green floral, hint of sweet

Wet: wrists and inside the elbows: smells like grass. It's slightly sweet, a faint grainy note (I'm guessing sweet grass but I've not sure as I've never smelled it as a single note.) There is a faint floral note also, reminded me of lily but greener and fortunately never became soapy or sharp

Drying: Smells like drying grass\hay. Interesting how it seems to dry as the minutes pass, becoming dryer and more acrid. About half an hour into the drydown this morphed considerably and smelled like hay burning then it morphed again and the note compared to brimstone by another review emerged...it definitely smelled burnt, like burning grass

I poured through these reviews to try and figure out if anyone else had been able to tell what it is, as there are no notes listed and I wavers between juniper and cedar...with smoky vetiver

Final thoughts: I enjoyed this in both the wet and drying phases. I wish the wet phase had more sillage. Juniper is one of my favorite notes. I will certainly hoard imps of this and contemplate a bottle.

Edited by sprout

Wet, this is dry dead grass--not quite hay, which has a sweet quality to it, this is just dry straw. During dry down, a vetiver note comes out (yikes!), which must be the scorched/dead element and the nail polish remover element others are talking about. Fully dry, it goes back to just dry grass but slight to greener, mixed with another floral.

I definitely get the alcohol/nail polish note, especially at first. Scarecrow starts out mostly nail polish and a little bit of grass, morphing at about 10 minutes into hay with a little bit of nail polish. By 40 minutes, on me, it's almost all hay, but there's still a bit of nail polish, and my thought is that this scent smells flammable. At the one-hour mark, the nail polish is gone but the hay has taken on a definite scorched quality, and from there on out, it doesn't morph much. I don't think I'll really want to smell like this very often, but it's quite a scent experience and might be just the thing for certain seasonal moods. Hanging on to the imp for now.

This starts off with the scent from the description, hot winds and barren fields. In like seconds, it sweetens to what my city-girl nose would picture hay to smell like (never actually smelled it in person lol). It's grassy and sweet but dry at the same time. It fades fairly quickly to a men's cologne-type smell then disappears altogether. Not much throw. I don't think this one worked particularly well with my chemistry. It wasn't bad, it just didn't really get the full effect on me. *Shrugs* oh well, can't win them all. I mostly just wanted to try it for the scent of 'hot winds in desolate sun-scorched fields' like that's so cool, how do they DO that? It really did smell like that for a couple seconds!

Excited to try this! I am always intrigued by scents that don't have the actual notes listed

Wet: Banana! Wait, no plastic. No...rocks? Minerals? WTF is that smell? MEAT? This scent is so confusing. It's not the Lab's hay note (which I love). There is something sweet an vegetal about it. And sort of fruity hints? I do not know what to make of this. It is entirely unique. (reading other reviews now, I can totally understand the nail polish or polish remover comparisons, but that's not EXACTLY it to my nose, but sort of)

Dry: In the throw, I can kind of get the scent/feel of a barren field. Up close, it's quite a strange scent, on me at least. I love the Lab's hay note (as in Hay Moon) but this is not it, and it's just... little too different for me! Really a unique scent though, and I'm glad I got to try it!