Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Scarecrow

An agricultural gargoyle. Though he is the Guardian of the Crops and Keeper of the Fields, his visage is still the stuff of nightmares. The scent of a hot wind blowing through desolate, scorched, barren fields.

Meh... the Scarecrow didn't really care for me... and I'm pretty sure that my family wanted to wish me into the cornfield the day that I tried him out :D

I really wanted (and tried like the dickens) to fall in love here, but he wasn't working w/my chem....

Wet= Weird cheap men's cologne / Oddball cleaning product.

Fresh on skin= More of the same leaning towards cologne w/plasticky grassy smell?

Dry= Cheap industrial soap.

Oh Scarecrow, how I wanted you... But that's okay, I got a man - and he buys me a Coke! :P

I never would've picked this out at all, but a friend had it and had me try it..

Initial Impression: burning plastic

On Wet: more burning plastic

On Dry: grassy, sweet

Finally Impression: Wow! Who would've known? Horrible in the beginning, but really lovely in the end. It smelled like Spring grass.

Rating (on a scale of 1-5): 3.5

Scarecrow

Sweet and soapy with a bit of a tang. It remotely reminds me of shaving cream, but not quite. It's warm and slightly sharp. This is almost pungent; it's not pleasant.

[ 2 - Dislike ] This doesn't fit the description at all for me.

The description was so romantic, I hoped to love Scarecrow. Alas, I could only smell the cleaning products others mentioned. Then (ack!) lilies, thick and cloying. This is the first time I've ever had to rush to wash off a BPAL scent. Bummer.

sniffed from the imp: uhm... smells like a pasture. a recently and often "fertilized" pasture.

on skin: i don't get the description at all. i smell like a fertile pasture. farmland.

nothing medicinal or cleaning product-like....

but for some strange reason i feel like going "Moo"

this is oh so very not me.

I tried this one a long time ago and wasn't all that excited about what it did on my skin.

But now, a couple years later, it is my signature angry scent. When I am just really feeling antisocial and yes, angry, I wear it. On me it smells like a scorched hayfield. And, um, I love it.

However, when my husband gets a whiff of it, he hides. :P

In imp: starts out smelling sharp and acrid... like rubbing alcohol over dead grass. On my skin, it's acetone. Rapidly sweetening acetone with dried flowers.

5 min: grass and chlorine. Smells like a backyard swimming pool on a cold day.

15 min: rubbing alcohol with flowers in it. Not worried yet. Heard it would smellike acetone for the first fifteen minutes, anyway.

20 min: ...wow, fast change. Sweet grass and smoke.

30 min: smoky floral.

40 min: soapy floral with a hint of smoke. I feel this one will perhaps not be working on me.

50 min: soapy floral.

1:20: warm and soapy floral. I am unmoved.

2:00: soapy floral.

Not my thing. Swap pile.

Love and coffee,

Frances

If this starts out with an acetone smell like hairspray or nail polish remover please be patient and let it dry. Depending on the chemistry of the day, so to say, that effect is worse some days and hardly happens other times I put it on.

Dry this is a brownish green, deep and very dry moss scent. Reminds me a bit of Lush's Tramp for some reason, but much drier. But it also really smells a bit like summer here, when everything is scorched and dry in July and it has not rained in six weeks and the wind never lets up even for half an hour. The fields smell a bit like that then, at least to me. Sweetish, dry, dusty hay and grass. There is just a bit too much moss in it.

I am on a farm and it reminds me a lot of home because it is rather evocative in that way so I like it and am happy that it works out like that on me and I do not get cologne, cleaning products or any other unpleasant things beyond the initial nail polish remover phase.

In bottle/imp: Bitter, dry, and strong… with a bit of hay perhaps?

Immediately on skin: This smells so herbal and sharp. And almost oily, too. It has a very acrid, bitter feel to it. It definitely has a very heavy cleaning product vibe.

After a little while: This has improved a lot. It no longer smells of cleaning fluid… instead there’s a dry hay feeling to it mixed with the smell of a well-kept machine and men’s cologne. It’s hard to explain, but it’s a masculine scent for sure, and smells mechanical rather than desolate.

Overall Impressions: This starts out absolutely horrid, but morphs after a little while into something quite masculine and wearable. It doesn’t remind me of a scarecrow as much as the scent of the machines that till those desolate fields and the cologne-wearing sun warmed man that drives them. Well, there is the bit of hay that could belong to the scarecrow, but there’s a lot more going on than just that.

At the beginning, this was sweet grass. But as it dries, the sweetness damps down and it does end up smelling more like a weird combination of straw and oddball men's cologne.

SAAAD.

This is interesting but not in an enjoyable way. It smells like walking past a construction site of a house being built.. paint thinner, caulking, glue and paint... a fresh house still full of its acrid, industrial smell. This stuff would be impossible for anyone to wear convincingly. I'm almost in awe of how off putting it is. Definitely lives up to the namesake... I'm terrified of this stuff.

Despite not liking this, I give Scarecrow points for being one of the most unique and original bpal scents I've ever come across.

I am VERY NEW to review writing, so please bear with me.

Based on the description, this was the first imp I wanted to try in the lot of 9 I bought from GoldenRubee (THANKS AGAIN for all the goodies :P )... But I digress.

In the vial: I get the acetone/nail polish remover odor that others here have mentioned. My husband commented it smelled like a automobile body repair shop...apparently there is a product called "Bondo" which they use to repair car body damage which has this same "fragrance".

Wet on skin: More of the same

Dry down: I can't explain it further other than to say this would make a nice, clean men's cologne. Oh, and I also got a small whiff of banana that another poster mentioned while wearing it for about one hour. I will no doubt wear it, but I am not sure when or where. I won't be wearing it to work, that's for sure! :D Probably to some outdoor event in late summer/early autumn???

Scarecrow is VERRRYY INTERESTING, to say the least. Probably not everybody's cup of tea, but really unique, nonetheless.

I found Scarecrow scary, and intimidating. It smelled oily at first, like an oil slick on asphalt. As it faded, I caught a whiff of black licorice, but there were still oily undertones.

Faerygirl says "It's like something that smells good in the trash can but you can't figure out what it is. Then it's like Chinese soup. Then it's nice at the end like spice."

In the begining when I put it on it smelt like vetiver, and just that then it ligthtened up into sweet grass. It was the weirdest thing....as though you got to smell the hot wind during the summer and the lovely fresh scent in the spring. Then after a bit Scarecrow began yo-yo-ing back and forth between grass and vetiver.

Wet on my skin, Scarecrow is a warm, green, dusty scent. How something could be both green and dusty, I don't know, but it is. Dry, it's still warm but it's more of a men's cologne. But I'm definitely not complaining.

This is a nice men's cologne with a sweetish edge. It'll be nice for hubby in the fall. I'll add a bottle to my wl...

eta: It has incredible wear and doesn't wash off...

Edited by gysysingleton

A whiff from the vial makes me think of thick, heavy, humid August air hitting hay bales. The deeper, darker note underneath is promising...if only i could describe it, or knew what it was. It's brownish and slightly flammable. Others have said acetone, but that isn't it. Hrmm.

On the skin wet this is sweet and golden, borders on scorching! I like how the sweetness of grass amps so much on my skin, while at the same time some very smoky notes begin to appear. This stage has a ton of throw, and I can already tell this is one you would apply well before stepping out the door.

The drydown - - ahem...wow this morphs. After an hourthe smell reminds me a lot of the Phantom Wooer. It's a dusty, old room sort of smell - as if you were in the field, but now you're in the farmhouse. Not unpleasant at all, in fact I love it. But it is an unexpected departure from the trajectory my skin was on with this one...

Altogether fabulous, if only to experience the morph. I think this one is too "warm" for my everyday tastes these days, but it is definitely an imp-on-hand keeper :P

In The Bottle

Apricot? Did I get the right bottle? Kind of plasticky. Harsh

On Application

Smells very perfumey to me. May need ageing.

Dry Down

I am actually liking this alot more after 10-15 minutes however it is much softer and almost gone :P Yes much nicer - drier and less perfumey. His may benefit from another try. Not a lot of throw and short wear length.

Rating (0-5)

I got Scarecrow as a frimp, and after reading that it can be a masculine scent, i decided to try it on my fiancé.

My impression of it on him: It smells strangely sweet to me. Somewhat soapy and grassy. Is there jasmine in this? It reminds me of Thé De Jasmin by Fruits & Passion but not nearly as strong. It does make me a little dizzy and lightheaded though.

His Impression: He said it smells like a natural non-chemical Pine-Sol. Clean and fresh. He gives it a 3/5 and he says he'd wear it again, it's okay, but he doesn't love it.

ETA: I've tried this a couple times, and i didn't like it much to start with, but it's really growing on me. It reminds me of World of Warcraft, being in the fields of Westfall killing Harvest Golems and Harvest Watchers, and the flasks of oil they frequently drop when you loot them.

Edited again: Scarecrow, i love you. Scarecrow has now become my 'cleansing' scent. It's powerful enough to chase the bad smells away. After bad experiences with Stimulating Sassafrass Strengthener and Miskatonic University going really BAD on my skin chemistry and not being able to wash them off completely, Scarecrow has saved me on both occasions by banishing the stench.

I had no idea how useful this would be when i first tried it, and how grateful i would be to have it on hand. It's not sexy like some of the other blends that i have come to love already, but it's so fresh and clean, with a hint of oddness that really appeals to me.

4/5

Edited by AthenaRose

imp: a sharp generic perfume (it's impossible for me to detect any specific notes here or even give a "feel").

wet: this has a pulpy, wet green scent on my skin. like the insides of a cactus or something. this is not dry and dusty at all, but rather clean and brisk.

dry: this still has a squishy, wet scent to me. hard to describe what i'm smelling but it's nice.

in the bottle: ??? i couldn't even figure it out. it smelled like perfume. generic perfume.

on my skin, wet: the first time i tried this on, i was with my friend. i had bought a pack of six samples, one for my friend. so we tried on all the imps we got. and apparently the look of confusion and disgust on my face was indescribable, lol, and i couldn't get it off me more quickly.

second try, wet: i still couldn't figure out what it smelled like. it was like generic perfume, and finally after 15 minutes i turned to my friend and asked her to sniff me and tell me what i smell like. and at the same time, we both said, 'oh, green apples.'

dry: i still smell like green apples. it has no layers, just green apple. some days, after about an hour and a half, i smell the hay, which was what i bought this scent for... a hay scent. of course i made my order AFTER Hay Moon, so i'm hunting for that in swaps and on ebay.

it's not my OMG FAVE, but i like it enough to get a 5 ml. my boyfriend really likes it on me too. he can't tell what the scent is or anything, but he says it 'smells very welcoming.'

:P