Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Pele

... This perfume embodies her gentler, benign aspect as the capricious Goddess of Dance: muguet and Hawaiian white ginger enveloped by warm, damp tropical blooms.

I’m a fan of muguet (lily of the valley), but there’s a lot of green herbal notes and other tropical florals getting in the way, so the muguet is really faint. It comes off as an artificial, soapy, “herbal essence” shampoo scent. I’m not smelling any ginger at all. I’d like a soap like this to make me feel like I was on a tropical vacation, but as a perfume, it’s not working for me.

Imp: wood; resin, dirt and sharpness

Wet: not very strong, but lush and light-- the ray of sun penetrating the tropical canopy and warming the leaves, blossoms and dark soil. There is also a slight skin cooling sensation to the oil itself.

Dry down: citrusy shower product-- as in it isn't overwhelming like a classic perfume. It's very light, both in fragrance and composition; easy to get used to and forget you have on your skin.

Conclusion: This would be a great summer scent; perhaps added to unscented lotion. The ginger is a refreshing balance to the floral, with just enough earthiness to make Pele unique.

Heavy, wet flowers...I smell lilies and jasmine. It starts out strong, but as it dries the throw is actually very light. A pretty summer scent.

In the imp: warm, damp florals, with something a little spicy. Might be the ginger.

On me: this is pleasant, but turns to suntan lotion that's on a little gingery. Still a very warm scent, but not something that really fits me.

Overall: Very reminiscent of warm weather and beaches and big blooms, but as a perfume it doesn't work for me.

this is sooo light and gentle, reminds me of spring breeze and spring flowers. nice, light floral, but too light for me.

In bottle: Heavy white ginger blooms (not to be confused with the root, which is an entirely different scent). Also, some unknown mixed bouquet of warm florals. The muget lends a hint of "powderiness" in the background.

Wet: The ginger begins to back down and blend with humid jasmine and rounded floral notes. The muget begins to peak and lend the mix something just on the floral side of powder.

15 minutes: This has turned to a clean, slightly aquatic floral, much lighter than it was at application. It's not soapy, per se, but it does remind me of certain artisan soaps I've ordered. Very tropical, with humidity and breeziness playing off each other.

Dry: The muget has returned as a bottom note, but in a lighter form than before. The warm floral tones have also returned, anchoring the clean, tropical air of the earlier heart notes, which still persevere.

In the imp: Light, gentle, mild flowers. Very white.

On, wet: A very pretty floral powder.

On, dry: It's very faint after just under half an hour, but what I can smell is light and floral and kind of soapy. I was really hoping to like this one because of the name, but it seems to have the type(s) of floral notes that don't really work on me.

This was very light on me. It started as a tropical floral. I think I could detect some white flowers in here. But my skin ate this up after about 1/2 an hour, so I can't speak to how it dries. I liked it well enough while it lasted, but on me this wasn't remarkable.

Sniffing the imp, it's a light floral scent and something else...not sure what though.

Wet on the skin, it's tropical floral and very clean smelling. I agree with prior reviews that it does smell soapy.

Dries down to a soft floral soap scent. Nice, but meh.

Pleasant floral but somewhat underwhelming. The ginger isn't particularly strong and doesn't ground it as much as I thought it would.

2.5/5 Fine but nothing special.

In the imp: Smells like Florida! And sand and suntan lotion. But Florida. When I was little, and my parents and I would visit FL, there were these flowers by our hotel room, and this is the embodyment of those flowers. I don't know what they were, I just remember this smell as the smell of Florida.

Wet: Florida! Sorry, I'm just getting good memories from this. -_- I'm also getting some ginger, but very faint, and suntan lotion, even more faint. It might even be there, it's just me expecting that smell there.

Dry: Very faint now. I'm just getting light sweet tropical flowers. Pretty.

Overall: I really like this blend. It's great for summer, very pleasant, clean, sweet. Wouldn't want a bottle because it fades a bit too quickly, but Will definitely use my imp.

I'll be frank - I picked this one up for the volcano factor. I also have to admit that I'm a little sad that the Pele oil goes for the dance aspect of her character rather than the volcano aspect, but I might be just a little bit biased. Particular focus or not, any scent based on a volcano deity is a scent I need to try, no matter how floral. I'm trying it today (18 May) in particular because it's the anniversary of the 1980 eruption of Mt. St. Helens.

In the imp: Humidly floral.

Wet on skin: Still a sweet humid floral, with maybe a tiny bit of ginger, if I sniff really hard.

Drydown: Freshly dry is pretty much the same as wet - sweet humid floral, very fresh and light, with only the tiniest bit of ginger. At one hour in, the ginger is a little more prominent, giving a little bit of an edge to what is still a humid sweet clean floral.

Five hours later: No more ginger, but still some very clean florals.

End of the day: Faint clean florals.

Overall: Well, it's floral. I expected this going in, and it's been confirmed. They are nice clean-smelling florals; they smell good, but they're quite feminine and are definitely not my sort of scent. That said, I'm holding onto this imp, because I want to experiment in layering it with other volcanic/geologic scents (ie Moai). I also figure it'll be an appropriate thing to bring on the volcanology class field trip to Hawaii in the fall.

Imp/Wet: Fresh, clean, appealing florals!

Drydown: Probably the least aggressive ginger I've ever smelled with some clean tropical blossoms.

Overall: Very nice! I feel like this would be a fun scent to wear on a hot summer day to stay cool and pretty. Keeping the imp for now, but probably not going to need a bottle.

Imp: Tropical forest & flowers.

Wet: Tropical forest & soap.

Drydown: Nothing left but soap. :cry2:

Overall: My skin destroyed it.

The wet stage of this reminds me so much of whatever the note in White Rabbit & Ichabod Crane is. I just looked over the notes and it must be the ginger but I can't see it somehow. It's more of a creamy, milk? smell.

This scent is very faint though and I really have to sniff to get any joy out of it. The scent of the weird milkiness dissapears and this becomes a lovely soft pretty floral. It's just barely there though...

I'm not sure I get the whole...tropical vibe from it. It smells kinda generic but pretty all the same.

I'm not going crazy for Pele. Sorry.

In the vial: Very gentle, clean smelling flowers.

Wet: Very pretty..and familiar. This reminds me a bit of Pacificas Malibu Lemon Blossom solid perfume...or maybe a bit of Philosophys Amazing Grace.

Dry: This perfume pretty much stays exactly the same from top to bottom. I can't distinguish each individual note, everything is well-blended/balanced. This ends up as a very delicate, tripical smelling floral (not the stinky diaper kind...it's very wearable and good for someone who is otherwise terrified of floral blends...like myself.)

Verdict: I like this one a lot! I love Pacificas Malibu Lemon Blossom, but that one ends up smelling like cornchips on me. Pele stays true and beautiful smelling all the way through.

I will most definitley use all of my imp and probably purchase a 5ml in the future. This is great for summertime and gentle enough for the office or places where you want to wear "quiet" scents.

I think I tried this scent before, but I guess I never reviewed it. I got it as a lab frimp and decided to give it a shot again because I couldn't really remember what it smelled like. Freshly applied, it's really lovely. I am not generally a fan of florals but this is totally appealing. The ginger is wonderful at first, and blends beautifully with the soft white flowers, and it's almost creamy ginger, kind of like the way I wished Sudha Segara smelled, but it burns off fast and the ginger is indistinguishable in a haze of light flowers, orchids and lily-of-the-valley and other things I'm not well-versed enough to pick out. There's a touch of green to this as well. But it's a really frustrating scent because it is so very light! It stays so close to my wrist that it's not even worth applying. I feel like I'd need to dump out the whole imp on my wrist for the full effect. It's great, but faint. I wish my fresh laundry would smell like Pele.

I could barely smell this at all even after generous application. Which was sad, because from the little I could detect with my nose squished up against my wrist, it's extremely pretty. But I can't imagine wearing something with such a nonexistant throw, it'd be like wearing water.

This was very strong when first wet and soapy. But it quickly mellowed into damp muget and plumeria blooms lightly seasoned with sparkly ginger. Very feminine, clean and beautiful tropical flowers, plumeria, hibiscus, pikake...much more gentle than I would have guessed from the early wet phase.

I can see this worn by a young woman who loves sweet succulent tropicals. These are just a bit much for my nose. I will have not trouble finding a good home for Pele...

Pele is a warm, soothing, ethereal scent. I love the soft florals and ginger together, it wears very close to the skin. I have no idea what muguet smells like, but whatever it is, I like it. The lasting power is very short lived, however, so would need frequent reapplication.

It does remind me a little bit of Philosophy's Amazing Grace.

It's a beautiful tropical floral, a little bit sharp and a little bit sad. It reminds me of rain on a tropical island, a lush rainforest and waiting.

I ADORE white ginger :lovestruck:

In this blend I can definitely smell both the lily of the valley and the white ginger.. it's very light but sooo nice. Over time the ginger does fade out but its still a gorgeous blend of white seeming tropical flowers.

As others have said however.. it has got NO throw to speak of. Most unfortunate :(

Wow, for Pele, this is rather tame. I expected lava rock, smoke and magma, maybe with a bit of Hawaiian floral underneath.

This is simple and pretty, but has no throw, no "fire". The ginger doesn't even snap.

Disappointment.

Oh God this is stunning. I wasn't expecting to like this, but as soon as I whiffed the imp, it was love.

I tried it on, and it reminds me of a perfume my nanny used to wear when I was little, but it's not at all old ladyish.

It's floral, but not the sharp rose/lily/jasmine florals I'm used to and dislike. This is soft and gorgeous and invokes images of tropical locations even though I've never been to any.

From wet to drydown it remains the same. While there are no specific aquatic notes sticking out, it does smell beachy.

I think this could be worn year round. This has to be a bottle for me. It'll get a lot of wear.