Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Pele

... This perfume embodies her gentler, benign aspect as the capricious Goddess of Dance: muguet and Hawaiian white ginger enveloped by warm, damp tropical blooms.

Looking at the ingredient list, I can see why this reminds me of Lady of Shallott. This has a definite ginger tinge to begin with, and then bursts into a floral for a while. After about an hour I get something that’s softly aquatic with a strong, calming muguet overtone. It’s really lovely, quite perfume-y without actually smelling like something I could go buy at Sephora. Definite bottle must.

In the bottle, it smelled almost like liquid soap to me but I know how little that matters and put a little on my wrist. At first, most of what I could smell was strong soap-like lily (muguet) that burnt my nose but after maybe 10 or 15 minutes, it softened and a light mix of different flowers surfaced with white ginger accenting it. The stronger notes turn out to be the ginger and lily on me, but nothing that overpowers the other notes. It also seems to linger pretty well on my skin. (I think being oily helps. :P) It reminds me of a light and cool, tropical floral breeze somewhere under a shade tree. It's a gorgeous smell (my first!) that may end up being my first 5ml.

Edited by firewoman

Imp: Candied ginger and orchids.

Wet: Kind of disappears at first. I relax because that has been happening all day and for the most part the scents have come out while dry.

Dry: Unless you're Pele. If I get up close I can smell a bit of a gingery floral smell, but I feel like I could swim in this and you wouldn't be able to smell it on me.

Throw: Don't tease.

Overall: For some completely bizarre reason, this makes me think of Sweet Valley High. Why? God only know. But, yeah... this scent makes me think of Jessica Wakefield. So I guess it's for the best that I don't really like it, because I would prefer not to smell like what I think an imaginary sociopath would smell like.

In Vial: Fresh floral

Wet: This does smell like tropical flowers but I don't know which ones.

Later: This is a lovely floral but unfortunately it is one of those that is super sweet and gives me a headache.

in the imp: sweet floral :D

wet on skin: wow. it really 'smells' like the tropics. huh! :D

dry down: i'm getting some of the ginger now, but it's a very sweet, light ginger- there is nothing heavy about this fragrance.

in all: i would wear this on the hottest of summer evenings, one that involves kisses and hand holding and moonlight, beach optional :P

I got this as a lab frimp -- would never have bought it looking at the description. But, I test all the scents I've never smelled before, so I tried it.

VERY floral. Overwhelmingly flowery -- I kind of feel like I'm being buried alive under tropical flowers. Not something I will ever be buying for myself.

Help me, the flowers are coming to eat me... :P

Later: I actually had to wash that off -- first BPAL I've ever had to do that with. :D Off to the swaps with the Flowers of DOOOOOM.

Edited by penemuel

I had thought I would really like this one from the reviews here.

I don't really care for it because 1., it's very faint smelling on me, and 2., it smells kind of genaric (what little I can smell). It doesn't have any notes that I can identify. Or my nose is broken today! It's very strange that I can't smell much of anything.

It's very gentle, sweet, pale flowers. A bit soapy though, and I agree with everyone who said that this is extremely faint.

Pretty, but not me.

Imp: Ooo, nice floral scent. Pretty.

Wet: Subtle white ginger, and can definitely detect the tropical blooms.

Dry: Though it fades easily, the scent is still nicely light and floral.

Overall: Love it! Would use it for regular days.

Imp: Astringent Floral

Wet on me: Ginger and White blooms

Drying Down:White ginger floral. Light and not

offensive or cloying

Dry:Beautiful ginger-yfloral. very light. LURVE!

Stay: nice Throw: very light

Totally bottle worthy!

Very nice, light summery scent. Unfortunately, it smells very much like another woman I know who treated me poorly. Not sure if I can stand it for that reason. If it weren't for that, I would keep the imp, but probably not get a bottle.

In the imp, the tropical florals are the most obvious. Not the strongest blend, so it is difficult to get much else. On my skin this blend whispers, but from what I can discern the most obvious note might be Lotus. I don't get Ginger at all, or really much of anything after twenty minutes. Very pretty scent, but not enough throw or duration for me. Definitely Pele's lighter side, and maybe ideal for those who steer clear of overpowering scents!

In The Bottle

Very floral but definitely tropical flowers

On Application

Jasmine first off

Dry Down

Once this starts to dry down the jasmine behaves itself and it becomes quite soft and lovely. There is definitely a beachy scent here for me. This reminds me too much of sunscreen once it has dried down completely. :P Not for me.

Rating (0-5)

Pele

In the imp: overwhelmingly floral (I think I smell jasmine)

Wet: I can sort of smell the Hawaiian white ginger now because I had a Hawaiian ginger perfume in high school and this smells similar to it at first. It's still very floral. I do think there's jasmine or something similar to it in here. Me and jasmine do not get along well.

Dry: Lush white flowers and very little ginger. Too floral for me. Also, it gets a bit soapy on me after the initial dry down.

I think this would be very light and pretty on someone who likes floral scents. I amp most florals to the point that they just overwhelm everything and give me a headache.

Very feminine, but not for me.

Pele hit me with a humidly floral scent in the imp.

I got some serious olfactory deja vu when I put it on. Where have I smelled this before? There was an extremely familiar quality to the scent, and I couldn't put my finger on it. It was a warm, gentle kind of floral, not sweet at all. Fun fact for my note-uneducated self: Wikipedia tells me that "muguet" is French for Lily of the Valley, which is the flower of my birth month.

This started out really subtle and continued in that vein. We're talking the lightest scent I've tried yet. It isn't a morpher, either--it's only gets fainter and fainter on the drydown. I could wear this without ever fearing that I'm perfumigating the place.

Pretty, if watery. Wet on the skin, it continues to be pretty, though it doesn't have much throw at all. It's a very faint floral scent, mostly white, maybe a very very pale green.

And it's pretty much the same as it dries and fades. Present, but not overwhelming, offensive, or amazing. It's pretty, but not really for me.

Pele is very soft, and definitely floral. I got it as a frimp, but I'm considering getting a bottle. Not because the fragrance itself is unbelievably amazing (though it is very nice), but because it reminds me so much of my grandmother. She was born in Hawaii, and this is EXACTLY what her house and garden smells like. Total memory in a bottle for me.

Pele is the first floral that I've really liked... It's light, with an almost 'airy' feeling. I've had it on for about 3 hours, and it has faded down to my skin a bit, but I prefer it that way. I will definitely buy a bottle, and probably save it for spring/summer...

And if I ever get my dream 'Hawaiian beach wedding' you can bet this is the scent I will wear! :P

This smells like an old lady.

I mean that in the best possible way ... it smells sweet and light and perfumey, but it smells like something a nice old lady would wear. I'm not that old, not yet, anyway.

I'm not a big fan of ginger so I was a little wary of trying this one out but I was happy to find that the ginger was barely prevalent in this at all. It's all damp, moist tropical flowers and very evocative of Hawaii. It's gentle, soft and feminine and slightly aquatic. As others have said, this would be nice for summer.

Pele

In imp, wet: A clean-smelling yumminess. Very sweet. Creamy. Floral. I can't identify any of the notes at all.

On skin, wet: Much of the same. Smells like holidays. Even a bit of sun-tan lotion (is there coconut or gorse in there?) but in a very, very good way.

On skin, dry: summer in a bottle. I would definitely get more of this, perhaps to wear in the spring/summer - the creaminess stops it from being too light, so it could be worn in winter, but it gives such happy summer vibes that it would be at odds with the seasons.

It has pretty good throw, too. Admittedly I slathered it once I decided I loved it, but I am getting lovely wafts of it as my hands move to type, and I only applied it on my wrists.

Into the keeper box it goes, and onto the wishlist a 5ml goes, ready for summer! I meant to test out some other imps today, but I almost don't want to any more...the Pele smells delicious and I don't want it to leave!

In the vial: girly perfume! blossoms and fruits, very tropical and cheerful.

Wet: Oh, soap :/ But I am still detecting blossoms and fruits. It's like my skin is drinking it up, but it hasn't even dried yet. Subtle and clean, but still girly.

Drydown: This has lost the tropical fruitiness and is now merely subtle and clean. It's a very nice clean smell, and not harsh or soapy anymore. But I'm somewhat disappointed because in the vial it smelled like heaven. I'm putting some on an envelope right now to see if it's just my chemistry. *waits*

It's so subtle, even on paper, that I honestly can't tell if the disapearing fruit is a chemistry thing or not. Maybe it's just my batch. Sometime I think I'll add an imps worth to some unscented lotion and see if that helps.

This is verrrry soft in the imp. Light light florals and ginger. Pretty, but a bit too faint...

I have to practically shove my wrist up my nose to smell anything once this is on my skin. Almost smells like very very faded suntan lotion.

Seriously, I've never had a blend be so soft and get eaten up by my skin SO fast. Not sure it if its the blend, or if its my nose and skin. It's pretty-soft white florals and a touch of ginger, but just BARELY there. I like my scents much less subtle ;)