Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
morleigh_s

Are custom scents available?

I've had a custom scent on order for a while now, and had been waiting for Beth's life to slow down a little so we could do this in an atmosphere that was good for both of us. :D

She e-mailed me the other day, asking for some basic information about what I like and dislike, what kind of places or things in nature I like, a bit about my body chemistry, and personal information in order to do my chart and a reading. After she gets a chance to sit down and take care of those things, she said she'd e-mail me with the more in-depth stuff.

I'll keep you posted as it comes along - I'm sooooo excited! :P <---- closest I could get to a happy dance!

I'm very interested in the process itself. But like someone said, $150 buys you a lot of imps to try. And as I haven't tried a good percentage, I'll stick to the imps - for now. It would be really cool to get one for a landmark event or birthday though. I'm not ruling out the possibility. And since I don't have a landmark anything coming up, it gives me lots of time to try oils out and think more indepth about what I'd want for a custom scent.

However, I too have complete faith in Beth to make it work. Especially reading the astrology scents posts - everyone who tried their astrological sign seem to think that it's really suited for them. So Beth must be doing something right with the readings and translating them to scents.

I don't know enough about my body chemistry and her oils to give her good info - another plus for trying more premade scents.

JJ_J - yes, keep us posted about what kind of questions are asked!

What I think would be really interesting would be having one done now, than having another one done 10 years from now. To see how I have changed, my chemistry, my preferences etc.

Hey all :P

I'm considering having a custom scent made, not for me, but for my mum for her birthday and christmas this year (her birthday's 21st Dec & since it's a lot of money i thought i would combine) She hasn't really got a signature scent although she has gone on about wanting one in the past so i thought this may be a good idea. What do you think??

Edited by catiebloo

Hey all :D

I'm considering having a custom scent made, not for me, but for my mum for her birthday and christmas this year (her birthday's 21st Dec & since it's a lot of money i thought i would combine) She hasn't really got a signature scent although she has gone on about wanting one in the past so i thought this may be a good idea. What do you think??

I think it is an awesome idea. Since you will presumably need her input for the information Beth will require, it gives you (and your mum) the chance to change your mind if she would prefer something else. :P

Huzzah! Husband has agreed to indulge me for my birthday by letting me commission a custom blend. I just emailed Beth. Which is probably great timing, as I know that she's got plenty of time, what with Red Moon coming out today, and how slow and boring the rest of her life is... :P But at the very least, I can get on the waiting list, right?

Plus, there's not much in the world I like better than answering questions. Now, if I just knew my blood type...

The more I read about this, the more I desperately want to try getting a custom scent. My "sisters" and I were just chatting last night about how we need to do this... a sort of three fold self-gift, one for each of us that share a brain wave. I suppose it seems like a lot of money but at the same time I would love to go through the process and see what happens. I tend to get stuck on scents for certain moods so having another scent to add to my "favorites" wouldn't hurt.

Like Tygher I'm absolutely adoring of the imps that are available right now so I will continue trying those out. I've made myself a deal that when I first sell one of my dolls for my initial asking price, I will use that money and splurge on my own custom scent -or at least on the waiting list.

I guess I better get back to sculpting then :grin:

Okay - new round of questions from Beth for the custom scent!! :P

In general, these questions are followed by, "Why?" and "Explain how it makes you feel ..." In other words, elaborate on what's an otherwise simple question.

a) shower, using unscented or VERY lightly scented product; sniff your skin and give your impressions of your natural scent

b ) favorite colors

c) color schemes in your home

d) type/style/texture of clothes you prefer, for all seasons

e) Historic time period or figure you're drawn to

f) television, cinematic, or literary character you relate to?

g) what's dominant in your personality - "one word someone might use when first meeting you" sort of thing ... and do you like it, or try to downplay it?

h) e-mail a picture from a wonderful, perfect moment in your life

I'm only halfway through these - knowing what you like is one thing, explaining with some small degree of coherency WHY you like them is another thing. :D

'scuse the grammar, but that sounds like the FUNNEST THING EVAR. I can't wait to start the process myself... :P

Those seem like such basic questions at first glance, but then when you start thinking of them and the why's they're actually very challenging and even a bit intimidating. How could I even begin to describe my own skin smell. My sister always says "you smell like girlie" (our pet name for each other) but how does that translate onto the page.

I'm quite interested in doing a custom scent. I've gotten to the point where with my next order, I will have tried everything that has been on my long running wishlist, with the exception of yet-to-be-released scents. When Rob asks what I want for Christmas/Anniversary I know what I'm going to say!

It is a fab experience. :P

:D However, it is a bit embarrassing to admit that the colour scheme of your home seems to be dog hair yellow.

Beth send me some of my custom samples a while back and of course I loved them all but there was 1 in particular that I thought was gorgeous but there was a certain note in it that (I thought at the time) didn't agree with my skin. So I kinda put them away for awhile and pulled them out again the other night and tried that one specific sample again and the more I smell it the more I fall in love with it. I was wrong about that one note, I think that it adds so much to the fragrance now. It's funny how Beth seems to know what would be best all along!! I am in utter love with my samples. I think the one that I'm gonna end up choosing will be the one with a very autumny smell (to me at least) that lasts forever, I mean, if I put it on in the morning I can definitely smell a very vanilla drydown at the end of the day. I love all the other ones too though. It's hard to choose. There are two that I love and it's hard to choose because they both remind me of very special times in my life. Now I just need her to blend the two together and everything will be perfect! :P

I had a dream about the custom scent process last night. I actually flew out to the lab to have a face to face interview with Beth in order for her to really get an accurate picture of me for this custom scent. She was smelling my arm to see what my natural skin scent was and afterward I pulled out a roll on full of Zephyr and starting rubbing it on my arm. :P

You all have me convinced this is something I want to do, even though I have yet to receive my first BPAL order! I gather that this is quite a long and involved process, particularly since Elizabeth is quite busy, so my question is: when do you pay? Do you pay for this at the outset and then wait weeks/months for it to be formulated, or do you pay when you receive your prototypes, or the final product? The financial wizard in me cringes at the thought of the first option b/c of all of the interest (albeit very very minimal) lost on my $$ w/ no product to show for it for a while.

Yes, there is some loss of potential interest, but at the fed rate of 2.25% per annum, on a $150 investment, you would only lose $1.68 in interest. That is if it takes 1 year to get your prototypes. So your money is in better use buying the custom scent!

You all have me convinced this is something I want to do, even though I have yet to receive my first BPAL order! I gather that this is quite a long and involved process, particularly since Elizabeth is quite busy, so my question is: when do you pay? Do you pay for this at the outset and then wait weeks/months for it to be formulated, or do you pay when you receive your prototypes, or the final product? The financial wizard in me cringes at the thought of the first option b/c of all of the interest (albeit very very minimal) lost on my $$ w/ no product to show for it for a while.

No, don't look at it like that...

You are not so much paying for the item, as you are paying for the service of having it made. (you could buy EO's and mix them together yourself, but it wouldn't quite be the same. :P )

Anyway, so since the interviewing and development process begins as soon as you pay, there isn't a gap between when you pay and when you begin recieving the service you're paying for.

*Sigh*

Apparently the Lab doesn't accept requests for customs scents anymore.

I emailed Beth a few weeks ago to let her know that I would like to have one made, but I have not heard back from her so I guess it is not going to happen.

I guess I will have to find myself another special present for my 30th birthday. I totally understand the Lab's decision, though.

Ishtar ~ This was what Beth added in the update about personal scents, just in case you didn't see it....

Until further notice, I cannot accept any new requests for personalized scents. Those whose processes have begun will been seen to their completion. I apologize for any inconvenience, and look forward to freeing up enough time to work on these in the future!

I sure hope she continues to offer them sometime in the future, I would love my own signature scent!

Thanks fairywingmaker :P

I saw the announcement, sorry, I should have made my post clearer. What I meant is that since Beth did not reply to say "OK, let's get started", it cannot be said that my process has really begun. So I guess my request will probably not be processed even though I emailed about it before today's update.

But it's completely OK. Anything that helps with the Lab's workload is fine by me :D

And like you said, there is still hope that we will be able to get our custom scents in the future!

Edited by Ishtar

I'm sorry you won't get your scent for you Birthday :D But then again, maybe she will get caught up, and be able to take Personal Orders again. I'm kind of looking at Chaos Theory as my own personal scent right now. I figure she will be mixing one up for each of us that ordered, and each should be different and interesting! It will hold me over any way :P

See .. I'm -still- waffling on this one. I'm confident that Beth could create a masterwork for me, certainly .. but then, would I then grow to wear only that and ignore all the rest of her lovely creations?

So Beth, love, if you're reading this .. take your time. I'm sure people will wait forever and a day to work towards a personalized scent .. if it means less stress for you, and more lovely scents coming out in the meantime.

Well I'm just a complete piggy. I want to try it all!!! And I would love to have my very own scent. I'm just so dang indecisive that I would still probably wear something different 3 times a day. It's the Pisces thing...can't make up my mind about anything!

I'll just keep watching to see if and when Beth will be working on personal scents again.

I've decided. When I hit my weight loss goal, this is how I'm rewarding myself.

Only 73lbs to go, so take your time Beth! :P

Having a custom scent made is very intriguing. But before I go over board with buying as much as I can off this site. I'm going to test out the 12 imps I bought and see if I like the regular smells and if they are great as everyone says then I plan to invest in some custom scents for each one of my sisters as there " Cover the whole year gift " lol and of course get one for myself. .. The process seems to be a lot of fun mmm I can’t wait for my imps to come !!!