Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Black Lotus

Born in the shadows of a Temple to Set, this corrupted Egyptian scent evokes images of black pyramids, river demons, and bleak, deadly desert sands. Black lotus flower, amber, myrrh and sandalwood.

Black Lotus smells like something sweet and myrrh. I don’t get any of the soft floral of lotus flower at all. I think the sweetness I’m picking up on is the amber. Unfortunately, myrrh rarely works on me, and while this is actually one of my better experiences with myrrh, it still isn’t something I’m going to wear again. I just don’t like the way myrrh smells. This has really terrific throw and a little goes a very long way. If I liked this scent more, I would probably love the way that it creates a veil of aroma around my body that’s not so strong as to be too powerful (i.e., offend others by my presence), but it’s just that right amount that says, “I’m present. Now pay attention to me.” If I only liked myrrh more, I could actually see myself wearing this as a signature scent of sorts because it’s that unique, confident, and sexy. Now I’m torn. I read my words and I smell my arms and I wonder if maybe I can’t force myself to get used to this because it really is the scent of a strong and unique scent of a woman who isn’t afraid to be noticed. I may actually hang on to this and wear it out the next time I dress up and go to a nightclub.

This scent is a beautiful dark rich floral. I didn't even try to review it until I'd worn it a few times. It's heavenly if you like the fruitiness of lotus, but you also like the depth of resins, it melds the two beautifully.

It's sexy, provided your skin can handle lotus or resin. :P

This is a beautiful dark sweet lotus/myrrh combination on me. I don't get any of the sandalwood, which is odd given how much it amps on me. The only problem with it is that in certain points on my hormonal cycle lotus goes bubblegum on me and I end up smelling like myrrh-flavored bubblegum, which is just bizzare. If your skin does lotus consistantly though, this is a must-try.

I've been wanting to try this and received an frimp from the Lab :P

In the vial: juicy fruit gum!

Wet: tropical fruit salad.

Dry: sweet, soft tropical floral.

This blend was not what I expected at all! I expected a dark resinous scent rather than a tropical floral. I tried it twice and got the same result both times. Pretty, but a bit too sweet for me.

In the tube, this is rich and darkly scented and on my skin it's pure heaven. When it's applied to my skin it becomes a perfect mix of amber and myrrh scent, which reminds me heavenly of incense with mingled unnamable notes under them. By around mid-day as my boyfriend put it, it's all musk, resin and a touch of something sweet. This lasted through out the whole day and delighted me at every single turn. I think Rappaccini’s Garden has a follower in me.

This is very heady. Tropical, and heady is a good way to describe it. The myrrh and patchouli join up with the lotus. I fear I will not wear this very much. Although it does not trigger the Say No To Drugs reflex, it makes my thoughts swim a little.

In the vial, this is a dark scent with a sweet, bubblegum like edge from the lotus. On my skin this starts to smell less like bubblegum as the darker scents start to make themselves smelt, with the myrrh fighting to rid the scent of sweetness; though there is an uneasy balance between the two as the amber and sandalwood try to soften them both. After a few hours on my skin, this becomes a soft, sandalwood-amber based scent as the lotus and myrrh disappear into the background.

In bottle: Very sweet. Nice. No black pyramids here; maybe something an Egyptian princess might wear. It's a tad fruity, even - a dark red fruit. No sandalwood do I smell.

Wet: Wow, there's that myrrh. Overpowering. Still no sandalwood, though, and a hint of floral (presumably the 'black lotus').

Dry: The myrrh settled down a little, and I can detect the flower behind it. There's a bit of amber smeared over the top. Not bad, but I preferred the in-bottle smell.

Bottle: all I can detect is the floral

Wet: floral with a bare hint of myrrh

Dry: very subtle, not quite barely-there

Later: this should be stunning on me - I can wear sandalwood, amber, and myrrh very well...but somehow with the addition of the lotus this goes all wrong on me, it seems that lotus is another one of Those Notes on me. What a shame... :P

Smells spicy. Almost has a grape-like tinge underneath. I smell more amber than anything else, but the myrrh and sandalwood are definitely hanging out in there. It's nice, but not orgasmic.

My girlfriend says it smells like pot.

Score: 3 out of 5

Very sweet! Smells like apples, but in a candy sort of way. Fruity but with an icy edge? (I don't know what that could be... it reminds me of those 'icy' starbursts that have an 'icy' or 'frozen' flavor. weird, but cool.

I love shadow witch orchid and this reminds me of it.

definitely getting myself some of this!

4/5

In the bottle: The imp of Black Lotus smells like a mix of fruit bubble gum and myrrh.

Wet: I did not realize lotus was so sweet. It is not quite bubble gum on me, but it still bears a resemblance to it. I can catch the amber and myrrh, as background notes.

Drying down: The myrrh is rising to the surface. Mmm. I am a fan of myrrh. The scent is still sweet and lush overall.

Dry: The scent has taken on a dustiness that is likely the sandalwood. It is very evocative of a black river blossom in an oasis amid an arid land, twisted and corrupted. It is interesting how this one morphs.

Later: It has stayed pretty true to its scent when dry, but my skin has sweetened the darker notes some. It is an interesting scent, but I am not certain it is “me.”

Scent: Black Lotus

Bottle: Uh oh. This smells like Anubis. >.> Sickly, sharp floral. Again, I will brave the insanity and put it on my skin...

Wet: It's gotten a little more floral, a little less sickly on my skin. Whatever that top note is, as it burns off, this doesn't smell so bad after all. Still a bit like past-sell-by-date potpourri, though.

After a While: I went grocery shopping and didn't pay attention to the middle of this scent.

Before It's Dead: However, if you take what I didn't like about Depraved and mix it up with what I didn't like about Anubis, you get Black Lotus. Sadly. I thought I was a fan of lotus notes. But damn...this is old crayons and bad potpourri. Ugh. Swap!

I hated how quickly this faded, because I love the dirty bubblegum smell, but lotus has definitely become my new favorite flower. This is on my big bottle list to be experimented with in layering.

Black Lotus

Eeep, this one is a strange one!.

When it's first applied, it's sweet like berries (kinda like blackberry I think), It's sort of nice, but something is ruining it.

When it dries a bit, it's still sweet like berries, but there's something really bitter behind taking away the sweetness, it's still ruining it for me. It's trying to be sweet but something dark and sinister is winning the fight. It's like trick bubblegum or something. And it's really off putting.

Only when it dries can I smell the sandalwood which is pleasant but.... I had to go through a lot of unpleasantness first.

I definately don't like it!

Sorry black Lotus... it's not often I find a scent that I don't like, but you are indeed poisoness to me!

:P

Edited by ouch!

Black Lotus sadly goes the way of most lotus blends on me---the dreaded bubblegum. I can smell a bit of the amber and myrrh, but it's mostly sweet pink bubblegummy lotus. On my coworker this is a lovely warm rooty floral with the resins simmering underneath, so she'll be getting my imp. :P

In the bottle: rich, dark and deep.

On my skin: a perfect mix of amber and myrrh, which smells of heavy incense mingled with a sweet confection.

Drydown: resin and a touch of something sweet. This has incredible throw and lasts for 8-12 hours on me. Delightful, sexy and oozes playful trouble! :P

Despite the description, this is still a darker floral than I expected. The grapey lotus note is there, but the incense weighs it down with smoke, with resin. After a while, the sandalwood lends a faint dry note to the blend, but doesn't make a huge dent in the juiciness of the lotus. This is cool, luscious, and dark. It makes my mouth water, and my eyes close. Lovely.

When first applied: forget black, that’s pink! It’s a rich, dark pink with a lighter pink above it, but it’s an astonishingly pink smell. It isn’t precisely bubble-gummy, but it’s very sweet, and it smells like there’s fruit blended into the flower, though no specific fruit -- just a broad fruitiness.

After a while, something dusty and dry appears under the lotus. I can see now why the name "Black Lotus" was picked for it, but it isn’t sandy so much as it is dead. It’s suitably named.

This is also strong: it survived detectably over eight hours. The sheer pinkness of the smell is a bit too much for me. It didn’t actively offend me, but I think I’m just not a lotus fan. I need lotus to be an underlying component rather than the active primary ingredient if I’m going to appreciate it.

whoa. at first this is pure, cloying, bubblegummy-lotus. once it's been on for awhile though, i quite like it! i can still smell the lotus but it's on a background of slightly spicy, woody-resins. very interesting! i think i will keep my imp of this.

Mmm, this has to be the darkest floral I've ever smelled. It's definitely Egyptian and definitely not something to give to the kiddies. Black Lotus is mature with a touch of evil.

It's more complex than I was expecting too. I wouldn't say this a heavy scent, because it's not, but there is an air of foreboding with it. Or rather like a ritual going terribly wrong.

The first hour or so was just lotus with a pale, pale green undernote. The myrrh and sandalwood came out eventually. I think that's when the corruptedness came out of Black Lotus. And that's when I fell in love.

Frimped - thank you!

Imp: fruitilicious berry bubblegum indeed :P

Wet: heady myrrh, soft amber, yet also bubblegum

Dry: sweet, round, powdery and heady, and ultimately I also get bubblegum associations with this scent, so I don't think this works for me. Good to have tried it though, now I know that lotus is potentially a deal breaker note for me.