Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Black Lotus

Born in the shadows of a Temple to Set, this corrupted Egyptian scent evokes images of black pyramids, river demons, and bleak, deadly desert sands. Black lotus flower, amber, myrrh and sandalwood.

From the bottle, this smells slightly fruity to me...but once on, my first reaction is that this is a very dark floral scent. Kind of cooling...would be prefect for hot summer nights (as opposed to below freezing with snow on the ground nights).

I love the lightness of the lotus with the darkness of the amber, myrrh and sandalwood.

I keep visualizing a slinky slip dress, barefoot in the sand, stars in the sky, faint music in the background.

For me, this one's definately a keeper.

From Bewitching Brews

First sniff unbelievably sweet...smells like jelly babies to me whilst still wet. Getting deeper and darker as it dries, still incredibly sweet. Developing an acrid note that I can't identify, at the moment not sure if I like it. Now it has developed I don't dislike it, but don't quite like it either.. it has almost a toffee note and a faint whiff of dry smoke. I think I would like this as a room scent or something (so will try), but it doesn't quite smell right when I wear it.

This is like black rose without the rose, instead add lotus, It smells *almost* candy like but there is that smoky edge to it.

Black Lotus is lovely. It has that same sense of “darkened tone” that Black Rose has. Normally I find lotus scents to be a little heavy and thick, similar to the cloyingness of jasmine, but the other notes cancel out any stickiness. It is a dusty, soft scent, again so true to its description. The amber and myrrh give it depth and warmth, and the sandalwood thins it out perfectly. To me it is incense in Set’s temple mixed with the scent of lotus blooms drifting down the Nile.

'Hot',heavy,and incence-like,Black Lotus is true to its description. It smells exactly like this hippie store i used to buy blacklight posters and Nag Champa at when i was in highschool. Which is a good thing,because i always used to think,'If someone could put this smell in a bottle,i'd wear it."

I was so looking forward to trying this one but it just doesn't work on me. When wet it had a disturbing "nail polish" note to my nose. Now that it's been on for a while that note is gone, but the smell reminds me overwhelmingly of lipstick. Oh, well... can't like 'em all, I guess :P

Initial Impression:

Earth and incense here. Rich and full bodied, sweetened up just a bit by smoky amber. Seems like something that would have been used to inspire visions of religious fervor.

After Wearing It:

Rich, warm, and thick. The texture reminds me of honey in it's sticky thickness, though it doesn't smell like it. It's very sweet in a pungent, decadent kind of way. Heady and a bit smoky, though I don't notice that as much as I do the sweet warmth. Makes me think of heavily perfume air on a humid night.

Final Thoughts:

I really like this one. It's sweet and complex and has a nice full-bodied texture. Nice!

Here's another BPAL that changed on me immensely from wet to dry-down. I hated the smell of this for the first ten minutes - the lotus was just too sweet, too cloying. But it dried down to a really gorgeous resiny scent with just the right amount of lotus wafting about. It's very soft on me, too - I had to reapply it to really get a good feel of the stages of this one. This is definitely an interesting floraly twist on a resiny scent, I will wear it again.

Mmmm...Amber, Myrrh, Sandalwood and an exotic Flower. Spells "YUM" to me.

The scent is fruity out of the bottle. Neither I, nor anyone who sniffed it, could decipher *which* fruit, though. Kind of a cherry/strawberry/figgy hybrid.

On, it is pretty strong for a while, but mellows down to a sweet, flowery, berry incense scent. Myrrh, Amber and Sandalwood give it a deep, warm, ever so slightly smoky quality. It reminds me of a good quality lotus incense.

Though the scent is warm and sweet, it's also deep and dark. If I had to give a color to this blend, it would indeed be Black. The description on the site is perfect.

The drydown is like a whisper, and almost like a flower topped skin-scent. Very likeable.

When I wear this, I get images of an Egyptian temptress, walking through a shadowy, incense smoke filled temple with a self-satisfied smile on her face. You can tell she's up to something.

I haven't seen the movie, but I love the film score, so I also hear music from "The Queen of the Damned". Not the soundtrack, mind you, but the wonderful score.

Black Lotus is great for those days when you need a confidence booster.

A winner, at least in my books.

-Milk

wet, this smells pink, very pink, kind of like old fashioned bazooka bubblegum.

dry, gimme about an hour and i'll tell you :P

//eta: blah! it's still pink :D

Oh, this one is a new favorite. It's amazing.

Yes, at first the lotus is overly sweet, but it dries quickly enough and stays on top. The name is very apt -- it's a darkened sort of floral, and evokes some VERY nice mental images for me. it's not too complex and it stays mostly the same throughout the hours.

Oh, and layer this with Darkness. The combination is awesome. The notes will work together to subdue the sweet lotus a bit, you get a double dose of myrrh so it shows up more, and a few more florals in the mix. Try it!

At first this is very sweet and round with just a touch of earthiness. Definitely some dirt in there, and the sweetness...it's like a wet licked lollipop dropped in the dirt. And it doesn't smell as unattractive as that sounds. After a while though, the myrrh emerges giving it a beautiful smoky edge. And then the amber begins to bring a touch of spice and powder with the sandalwood softly rounding it out. I keep getting images of women dressed in colourful silks dashing through shadows down dimly fire-lit corridors. A very evocative scent indeed.

Edited by ViolentKitten

Incredibly sweet straight out of the Imp, but not a "nice" kind of sweet....images of ambrosial lotus flowers slowly decaying on a cold stone altar in some dark, dusty temple. One tiny dab on my wrist permeates the air around me.

The drydown conjures thoughts of incense drifting through and mixing with the scent of the lotus; I can almost hear the chants of the temple priests. The amber and myrrh eventually show themselves, with only the lightness of the sandalwood relieving the gloom (well almost).

This has the distinction of being the very first BPAL fragrance I've ever experienced, and I'm enthralled!

As undeniably sweet as Black Lotus is, it is indeed a corrupt sweetness. Worthy of Set, the god of disorder and chaos.

Velvet

Wet, this smells like Cherry Cold-eze and acetone.

As it dries, the myrrh comes out and darkens it a bit to give it a cherry-smoky feel. Eventually the cherry disappears and a lovely sweet-smoky-spicy thing happens, kind of like Dragon's Milk but less sweet and more muddy. This is a very dirty-sweet scent that seems to work well on me once it's dry, but wet it's kind of upsetting.

I don't think I'll get a big bottle, because it's similar to things that I like better, but I'll use the imp for sure.

Initial Sniff: That bubblegum lotus smell is what I get when sniffing the bottle, but it has a lovely warm, dark depth behind it. This is most definitely yum.

Wearing: This scent is a purpley-dark velvet. It is warm and exotic. The sandalwood really comes through as it dries down, making the lab's description just dead on.

Final Impressions: I'm so glad I got a 5ml of this one! It is gorgeous.

Bottle: Koolaid. Ugh, close imp, go on to next.

It was seriously an initial turn-off for me, but later, when I was wallowing happily in Lust and my youngest daughter came up and begged, I opened the Black Lotus for her.

On: Whoa. Hold the bus. That's not how it smelled in the bottle at all. Very ... pink, still, very girly and sweet, but it's not Koolaid anymore either.

Later: Kid still smells very good. Mellowing down to something more subtle, with a darker hint beneath that sugary surface (oddly enough, just like the daughter in question).

It's too sweet and floral for me, I like darker, spicier, woody and earthy scents, but it's utterly fabulous on my daughters, who adore it.

ADDED July 6:

Update:

It's not lasting very well on me, but I'm starting to like it.

The scent gets very smokey on me after a while, drying down the very sweet that doesn't quite work on me. A fun light scent, still too sweet for my personal tastes, but it might be a nice wedding/baby shower/girl's day at the spa scent.

Edited by Shollin

First Impression: A bit of lotus but very faint smell out of the bottle.

Second Impression: Still faint even on the skin. Odd, BPAL usually blooms so much once I apply them, but this one isn't doing anything. Just a bland almost diluted lotus scent. :P

Final Analysis: Quite disappointed in my skin with this scent. It fizzled out before it got started. Can't win them all.

FIRST SNIFF: lightly, sweetly exotic

WEARING IT: this is very juicy and gentle at first. most scents with myrrh in them really work well on me and this is no exception. the sandalwood and amber really warm it up and i think it's the black lotus flower that gives the scent its exotic sweetness. this is so pretty, definitely a scent for a nice dress and heals.

VERDICT: i didn't expect to like this one so much but i do! i'll wear it a few more times and probably buy a 5ml :P

Upon first sniff I was hooked! It reminded me of something dark and sinister, like incense floating through the air so thickly that the room is smoky with it.

On me, it was deeply spicy and erotic with a dark and sinister vein that just makes this one of my absolute favorites.

Edited by TheDarkMother

at first: sweet, but a bit of something dark underneath. gorgeous and sexy.

on: a beautiful, but unsettling, scent. i get an almost unnaturaly sweetness (i'm assuming it's the amber interacting with one of the other scents.) with an odd slightly-woody, slightly-floral scent surrounding it. i'm not sure about this one...

1 hour later: i like it. i'm still somewhat unsettled by it, but i do get a general sense of sexy debauchery, which is always a good thing. lovely, but dark.

2 hours later: this is still dark and a bit sweet. lovely. there's a bit of incense in the background.

overall: i love this. it's dark and sexy. lovely. i'm not sure i'll end up getting a bottle, but i'll enjoy using up my imp.

Lotus always smells like sweet candy/bubblegum to me, in this one was no exception when first applied. That sweet edge never seems to go away, but deep, dry notes become more prominent, making the scent deeper and darker.

Final verdict: not sure if I like it, but it's intriguing.

This had a strange burnt sugar smell on me. It was nothing like Blood Lotus. I don't really care for this one, primarily because the lotus is nowhere to be found. Body chemistry screwed it up, I guess.

In the vial: Way too sweet, with just a hint of incense. Almost gag-inducing.

On me: Lotus and nothing but. It's too sweet for my skin and it's making me nauseated.

Time to wash it off and try another one. Alas, poor Black Lotus, you hate me.

I really wanted to love Black Lotus because I love the smell of lotus, but sadly, myrrh does not love me. :P

I get the beautiful sweet hit of lotus, but when I go in closer, the awful musty, mouldy peach smell that is myrrh on me just overwhelms me. Ah well - one to swap.

To add: this does have some staying power though. I had to scrub my wrists to get rid of the smell of Black Lotus!

In the vial: Overpoweringly sweet, dark and cloying.

Wet: Interesting...dark, sweet and a little unsettling. I am not getting the bubble-gummyness of the lotus that I got with Blood Lotus. And it's changing...

On drydown: Well, drat. My weird chemistry turned this into Plasticene modeling compound and used motor oil! :P