Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A subtly menacing blend of lemon verbena, white sandalwood and cedar, dimmed by droplets of the darkest patchouli.

This is interesting; I got it as a freebie from the Lab with my last order. Other scents I've tried with a strong lemon note haven't worked on me, as it seemed my skin just soaked it up. Not the case with Shadow, which quickly resolved into a bright herbal lemon scent. Some of the other notes began to come through with a little wear, but they didn't have much time, as this scent disappeared on me very quickly. I doubt it's a full-bottle buy, but I'll use up this imp. Edited by Shollin

Wow -- the lemon verbena really jumps out at first! It's a distinctly different scent from actual lemon, somewhere between lemon-drop candy sweetness, and sort of a lemony herbal tea.

But there are soft traces of other scents underneath it, and as with a lot of aggressive top notes, it does fade fairly quickly. Within a few minutes there's a sort of soft, warm aromatic base coming through that I guess is the sandalwood and cedar combined, which grounds the sharp verbena and balances it a bit. Patchouli isn't really evident other than as a background presence giving it depth.

And once the verbena settles down, it's a nicely balanced scent, soft and fresh. The cedar is subtle enough that it doesn't go to hamster-cage on me the way it can in some other blends. It's a bit like a softer, lighter Umbra. I think I like it, although I don't see it becoming a top favourite.

Grade: B

There's something about the Labs white sandalwood which makes me think of peanut butter. It doesn't directly smell of peanut butter....but enough to where that's the first thing I think of when I smell any scent w/ white sandalwood in it.

Which is exactly what happened when I smelled this in the bottle.

Thankfully, I've come to know better.

In bottle: needless to say...peanut butter. Why, I'll never know.

On skin/wet: peanut butter smell going away, the lemon and cedar are taking hold and after a moment, lemon and cedar is all I can smell.

Drydown: lemon and cedar still, but I smell patchouli now. The patchouli is stronger than I would have liked.

Completely dry: Cedar and patchouli. The sandalwood and lemon are gone.

A heady, woodsy, almost masculine scent. Reminds me of hippy shops. I like it, but I don't know if it's something I'd wear... maybe for the boy?

Incidentally, my skin was itchy not long after this application, but in parts that the oil was near but didn't touch. Could be just me though.

First impression: lemongrass or verbena, plus . . . a hint of something woodsy (guess it's the cedar or sandalwood).

About half an hour later, the lemon verbena disappears and it's all cedar/sandalwood. Very dry and very masculine. If it still had some of the verbena or a hint of sweetness, I think I'd be able to wear it.

I got Shadow as a frimp from the lab. It's not something I would have chosen- I'm not a big fan of patchouli- but I decided to try it as long as I had it. The lemon was strong and smelled like some sort of cleaning supply, except with patchouli. This scent did not agree with me one bit.

Sharp bright lemon-- the sharpness coming from the wood. Don't detect any patchouli yet.

I like it, but I don't think I love it.

Edit: morphing deliciousness. Much more in like now.

Edited by smelly

imp: lemon drop candy! i want to eat it.

wet: and lick my wrists. mmmm.

I wonder if there's verbena in it? I would be one of those medieval ladies who smelled of verbena instead of lavender. I know the blend is supposed to be menacing, but what I've got is what I hoped for of embalming fluid and didn't get. I think there's a tiny whiff of some kind of wood under here. I smell like a clean, clean house, except edible.

20 minutes: the wood comes forward more, but that sweet lemon drop is making me dizzy with happiness. I remember there was supposed to be patchouli in this but I can't tell if there is - I'm only vaguely familiar with what patchouli smells like these days.

when I move, i get wafts of scent - cedar, and then lemon, and then sandalwood incense. I don't think I would call this a sexy scent, but it's definitely clean and fresh.

later: verbena gone. just sandalwood.

It's simple, clean, and I like it.

Shadow is very lemon-verbena-y at first, with the cedar and sandalwood in the background rounding it off. Quite nice. The patchouli comes along right after the initial drydown and is pretty strong but not overpowering for me.

After it dries for half an hour or so, the patchouli fades into the depths but still plays a great role, and as the whole scent fades it becomes more cedar and sandalwood with a tinge of the lemon verbena. I love all the stages of this. It has a nice throw but unfortunately not tons of staying power, though it's certainly not the worst i've encountered as far as speedy exits.

Verdict: i love it and will order a bottle as my imp runs out.

I got this as a frimp in my last lab order.

First Sniff (in the imp): A mixture of lemon/citrus and patchouli.

Wet: Whoa! Lemon. But not in a Pledge way, more like...a sweet lemon candy sort of way. The smell reminds me of these hard lemon candies I used to eat as a child..they had this white dust on them. This smells like that. Lemon candy. Or throat lozenges. Interesting.

Dry: A lovely soft lemony-incensy smell. It's really very nice and clean smelling.

Firstly, let me say that I do not like lemon. Citrus blends are just not my thing. I would, however, recommend this oil to someone who likes lemon or citrus. It is very unique and does not go all Pledge-like on me, like the some of the Lab's other lemony oils have done. So, anyway...not for me, but still nice. :P

wet: lemon and patchouli

this is citrus w/ a "shadowy" dark edge

this remains a sunny lemony scent, w/ an edge of darkness namely the patchouli

At first it's patchouli, then some citrus comes in. Then it's lemon cedar. It's not bad, but I doubt I'll wear it much.

second day of bpal :P (got my first order yesterday, tried shanghai last night)

in bottle:

smells a little like my favorite (unlabeled no name/source, it was a gift) incense… yeah i know that does not help you at all lol!

first impressions on skin:

yum - yes it is like my incense, I see great potential in this one. I smell the verbena along with just an incense smell. As it dries the mild spiciness of the other scents come out more.

later:

I smell more cedar/sandalwood. It's not as light as before but I think I like it still. It's a warm comforting scent.

Overall:

I like it - not enough for a bottle yet, but I will definitely wear again.

rating: 6/10

ETA: Wore this for the second time during PMS and it went soapy!! trying again tonight, so far, no soap. it just may be a borderline scent, I'll see if i have to downgrade my rating...

ETA: changed rating system and downgraded this one.

Edited by HennaFairy

Shadow

In the imp: citronella! The combination of cedar and lemon verbena reminds me of my mum's natural mosquito repellent. Wonder if this will keep the bugs away?

Wet on skin: now the verbena smells a bit stronger, almost like lemongrass. I can also smell the sandalwood, which is lovely.

Dry on skin: mmm, this is lovely. Tangy verbena layered over a pleasant, warm woody scent. I really like the way the verbena mixes with the sandalwood and cedar (for some reason, I'm becoming quite attached to citrus-sandalwood mixtures, such as the bergamot-sandalwood combo in Hakkotsu, and a few lemony Egyptian Sandalwoods from other brands). I don't smell much patchouli-just the barest hint in the background, but not much. It's a simple mix of notes done very well.

After a while: I love the sandalwood in here, it's just like the one in Hakkotsu. The cedar just enhances it and makes it drier. In fact, I find this scent very similar to Hakkotsu, but without the lily of the valley note. It's a lot more pleasant than I expected. I just hope the verbena doesn't turn to soap to spoil it…

Over time, it seems the verbena is behaving and not turning it to soap! I think the cedar or patchouli may be keeping that note in check. The sandalwood is still as lovely as ever, and the scent is reminiscent of the sandalwood-cologne effect I got in Loralei.

Eventually, this dries down to a lovely lemony sandalwood.

But…just before this blend makes an exit, patchouli pops up once more!

Verdict: this is a very pleasant sandalwood scent, and I like it a lot more than I expected I would. I like the way the sandalwood is very strong in here, I think the cedar also gives it a kick, giving the scent an overall woody feel. I also really like the verbena in here-this note can either be a lovely lemony note or can make a blend turn to lemon soap, but in here, it's very nice, and blends nicely with the woods. the scent, in my opinion, isn't very shadowy (well, not as much as Umbra!) until the end, when the patchouli is apparent. It's a very nice, uncomplicated scent, not something I need a bottle of but I'll keep the imp.

To sum it up in a smiley: :P

Bottle: this is very reminiscent of Namaste, sharp and lemony.

Wet: lemon, very little else. not a sweet lemon, more sour.

Dry: Cedar is really stepping forward, hints of the lemon but none of the sandalwood.

Later: Cedar and sandalwood, the barest hints of the patchouli. Not terribly complex, but definitely warm and woody..and both familiar and exotic.

This is much brighter than I imagined a blend named shadow would be. It's a brisk, light, citrusey lemon blend. The lemon is gentle, rather sweet, sort of like the lemon in Lemon Drops candy. I can just barely detect the undertones of sandalwood and cedar, they give it the tiniest hint of a wooded background. I can't smell any patchouli at all. This is a nice citrus blend, but not my cup of tea.

In the imp: Aye oi... cedar and sandalwood.

Wet: Sandalwood and cedar, with a touch of lemon verbena.

Drydown: The lemon verbena pretty much takes over this blend as it warms. It turns it tart while the cedar dries it out.

Nice, but not me.

Cedar, sandalwood and patchouli! Three of my favorite scents all wrapped up in one bottle. The lemon verbena really sets this off as a light and refreshing scent in combination with the heavier woody and earthy scents. This is totally amazing!

In the imp: Verbena and cedar.

Wet, on skin: Verbena and cedar again, with a hint of patchouli. The verbena smells sweet, like lemon hard candy, and it mixes quite well with the woody notes. It's not too sweet, and not too woody.

It's lovely, I think it smells quite warm and light for a blend called shadow.

Dry: The verbena goes away after a while, which is quite sad. What's left is a dry and incensey cedar/sandalwood combination, and the patchouli gets a little stronger as time passes.

I liked the initial scent and I wish the verbena would have stayed on my skin. :P

at first: lots of lemon verbena with a bit of patchouli.

on: lemon verbena and dusty sandalwood, with some patchouli giving it an earthy base.

1 hour later: all cedar.

2 hours later: cedar, cedar, cedar.

5 hours later: um...cedar?

overall: stupid skin + cedar = lots of cedar.

It seems that I'm in the habit of reviewing the scents that I feel really strongly about (love it or hate it), but I adore Shadow! A sweet swapper included it as a frimp, and I fell in love. I'd been looking for a lemon scent, and this baby is it. It's also the scent that officially made me realize I love patchouli in perfumes too, although I've always hated the head-shoppy "dirty hippy" patchouli reek. I'm a convert!

Ahem, back to the scent. Anyway. Previous reviewers have stated that the 'shadow' comes from the direct contrast of bright lemony yellow and the black of the patchouli--in my mind's eye I can imagine a hot summer day where the sun is blazing but I am able to lounge under a lush canopy and study the gorgeous intricacy of the patterns the sun and shadow make on the ground through the leaves. Every once in awhile, because my eyes are accustomed to the relative darkness, I look up and get sun spots.

This is the feeling that "shadow" brings to me, and it is my HG (so far) hot summer day scent. It's the best thing about having summer days free to do whatever the hell you please. big bottle love! :D - (helps with those sun spots :P)

ETA scent descripption - duh! :D It really is like lemon candy over a deeper woody base... when I think about the scent I think of a lemon candy covered bridge, the way the wood would smell after living for a long time near a pool of water by the woods, algae and tire swing and cotton buds in the air, et. al., and the board has seen its share of summer sun and has been worn silky smooth in time. The smell is that board in the shade while you can still feel the warmth of the sun. Oh crap--apparently I can't describe the actual perfume! Apparently this one is very visual for me :D Oh well, I tried. !!

Edited by Avery

In the bottle: Sharp, dark and lemony woods.

Wet: The cedar comes out and battles with the lemon verbena for dominance.

Drydown: It settles into a cedar and lemon verbena mix, with the dusty scent of patchouli over it. I'm constantly reminded of a really dark and thick jungle, full of moist woods and exotic lemony herbs. The patchouli lends it a sort of dark, mysterious spice which makes it quite magical.

Overall: It's an acidic scent, I think because of the lemon verbena and patchouli mixing, and of course it's very woody from the cedar and very discreet sandalwood. It's a refreshing blend, earthy and deep, and also quite exotic to me. I could just imagine this being the scent of a jungle in India, where you walk nervously for fear of meeting a tiger. Evocative, but not something I'd wear regularly.

Shadow – When I apply this, I’m almost knocked off my seat by the strength of the sandalwood in this blend. It’s a bone-dry, white sandalwood followed almost instantly by the crisp, bright scent of lemon. The lemon and sandalwood swirl around each other in perfect balance giving this scent a crisp, dry, tartness that is exquisitely blended. About 45 minutes after I apply this blend, I notice the tiniest touch of woody patchouli, but it remains very subtle and in the background of the overall fragrance. The lemon fades within the first hour, but I can still smell sandalwood very faintly about 5 hours later. I like it, but since I discovered another sandalwood/lemon fragrance I like better (Polyhymnia) later on the very same day I first tried Shadow, I think I’ll keep the Polyhymnia and pass the Shadow on to someone else.

First sniff at the imp is patchouli and sandalwood - a grey smoky haze... then a moment later, clear sharp lemon verbena. Interesting. On me wet, this is sharp cedar just soaked through in verbena. Tangy and citrusy with a darker wood note to it. Dry this is all aged cedar - none of that spicy sap-oozing redwood, but a dusty smoky patchouli and sandalwood coated cedarwood. The lemon verbena has POOFED. Which is a crying shame because I adore the verbena's bite and it was the reason I was so despereate for this one. After it fully warms, this is a pleasant sandalwood and cedar incense. Not too strong, not too vague just... pleasant. However it isn't the sharp outline scent I expected but rather a hazy dusty blend.

an imp of Shadow made its way to me as a gift

(yeah, sure, give me imps of scents that I will fall in love with and pine for...is this some fairy tale?) (*pulls self together sternly*)

Instant pure lemon verbena, one of my favorite plants (every year I try--unsuccessfully, I might add--to baby a plant through our northern winters). Lemon verbena is lemon plus sweetness, a unique fragrance.

For a time that's all I smell. I am reminded just a little of June Gloom, but that one is definitely lemon geranium, different.

Verbena is lighter, sweeter, more delicate.

And then the woods come on: cedar more than sandalwood, very definite. I love wood fragrances too.

A gentle, refreshing sort of fragrance. It reminds me of a summer breeze blowing through a thin curtain (sheer, but with a pattern of William Morris type leaves) into a woodpaneled room, where I can sit a moment, turning the pages of a rare book.

Maybe someday it will be available once more. Meanwhile I'll cherish my droplets well.

This came as a frimp in a bodacious box of imps, frimps, and bottles.

In the bottle, it smelled kind of like dirt. Then the woodsy note kicked in. Wet on the skin was all Lemon Pledge applied to furniture with old rags. Strong herbal notes with the lemon.

After drydown, the dirt turned to cedar and the lemon muted a bit from the patchouli, I guess. Reminds me of sitting in an historical high church. More agreeable, but the cedar is catching my throat.

The cedar finally calmed down and let some herbal through, which helped.

At first, I looked up the wrong scent--it was next to "Midnight" and I was sniffing my wrist and trying to reconcile what I was smelling with what I was reading about Midnight and figured I'd finally lost it. "White flowers, my ass!"

At least it now makes sense. But this one is a swap or sell, I'm afraid.