Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
merivelle

BPAL blends with Opium

I need to get a gift for a friend who loves opium scents. Can you recommend you favorite BPAL opium scents? I'd appreciate your help.

Languor is pretty opium-y. Wasn't my thing, personally, but I'd say it's definitely worth a shot. :P

Edited by cantabile

Parliament of Monsters is heavenly. Get it while Carnaval Diobolique is still in town, you won't be disappointed. I bought a bottle for my boyfriend and now he flaunts his neck at me all day, it's fantastic!

It works on women, too, but the initial throw is a little masculine. Once it fades, though... :P

I am an opium-hater, but I'd recommend the obvious... Opium Poppy (general catalogue in Rappaccini's Garden). And if you can find any, Dr. John Seward is a favorite of my opium loving friend, lol. It was mostly opium and creamy, sweet tonka on me.

Edited by Blood onmy hands

I second (third?) Parliament of Monsters, Red Lantern (original) and Languor.

eta: sunday isn't for spelling...heh.

eta part two: ARACHNINA. Definitely. How could I forget about her?!

Edited by siggster

I am an opium FIEND. I buy anything with an opium note, right away. I vastly prefer the resiny smoky opium to the more floral poppy note.

Chrysanthemum Moon. This is what made me fall in love with the scent in the first place. Spicy, rich, smoky, touch of floral.

Kanishta - heady florals and thick opium. Totally beautiful and creamy.

Red Lantern - more caramel and tobacco than opium, but still lovely.

Darkness and Anathema. Simpler GC blends, both very pleasant.

Carnaval Diabolique. A nice play of bright/dark. The opium smoke is dark, the lemon is bright, and the vanilla/coconut rounds it out.

Poisoned Apple is good if someone doesn't mind the serious apple-ness of it all.

Debauchery, Belle Epoque, Laudanum, Parlement of Monsters, and Dr. Seward didn't do much for me.

Parliament of Monsters is heavenly. Get it while Carnaval Diobolique is still in town, you won't be disappointed. I bought a bottle for my boyfriend and now he flaunts his neck at me all day, it's fantastic!

It works on women, too, but the initial throw is a little masculine. Once it fades, though... :P

PoM is opium by death - heavenly!

PoM is opium by death - heavenly!

PoM is officially on my wishlist! Thanks for the rec!

I really like the opium note in On Darkness (at least I think it's the opium that I love) and I'd like to try other opium scents. Any recommendations? I've tried Darkness, but narcissius is a bit off, somehow (too perfumy?). I've also tried Anathema and loved it...until it dried down and turned into eau de cardboard box.

What are your favorite sweet, dark opium scents?

Edited by patina

big opium fan here (ah only in context!) -- favorites: Chrysanthemum Moon. This is the best by far. Champagne and Opium. great opium here if you can take champagne (or if you love it like me, this is close to perfection). Red Lantern. This is a super sweet opium because of the caramel in there, but not overwhelmingly so (I wouldnt wear it in the heat though). I also think Vechernyaya's poppy translates to a lovely poppy/opium note =)

My most favorite sweet opium is definitely Romanti.Goth. This is very sweet dark opium with plum and lots of dark musk. Seconds are in order kubla khan (gorgeous), belle epoque, and event horizon.

Ah, Romanti.Goth. The one I figured out I'd like far too late. Heh.

You know, I'd heard of Chrysanthemum Moon, but I thought it was pure chrysanthemum or something. Definately some things to try here.

So happy I found this thread. Now I know I already have a favorite opium scent - Blood Countess.

I also adore Romanti.Goth. I only have a decant though. So I use it only on very special occasions.

I can't believe I have not tried Red Lantern and really hope it comes back this year. I also hope for more sweet opium scents!

Has there been any other new opium scents lately? The Snow at Dusk is too sharp/strangely floraly for me.

Fettered in the Shackles of the Drug comes to mind. It should not be hard to find a decant. It is better than Carnivale Diabolique but similar to my nose.

I just tested Paysage and I recommend it, but test first, if you are not sure about the mugwort. The drydown is sublime, though. It went from, "maybe I need to wash this off," to, "I think I need a bottle or two!"

Debauchery, Anathema, and Belle Epoque are all high on my list of favorites.

Finally, it may be difficult to find, but Radiance of the Opium Dream is exquisite, if tuberose isn't a deal breaker note.

Mum moon and Red Lantern are well loved and I think they're divine but the above are my off the beaten path recommendations. I had no idea how much I loved Beth's opium scents until just now!

Guess I need to track down Parliament of Monsters and Romanti_goth now...and The Snow at Dusk may be a winner, I've yet to try it but it's getting great reviews.

Edited by sprout

Fettered in the Shackles of the Drug was nice, but the anise makes it not work for me.

Tuberose/rose gives me a headache and I don't like jasmine, so that means Radiance is out also.

I will definitely try Anathema and Belle Epoque the next time I order!

And yes, Sprout, you should try Romanti.Goth. It is great!