Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A scent for all rabble-rousing, nose-thumbing reprobates: black plum, champaca flower, dark musk, patchouli, narcissus and scorched sandalwood.

Hmm, this is kind of interesting. Hellion starts out very incensey, warm and spicy. Then as it dries the plum comes out to play, adding a dark sort of fruity sweetness to the incense that's very appealing. It's not overly strong either, so there are no problems with wearing it out in public. :P

First, the plum: gummy, thick and sugary; then, the musk and patchouli: hand in hand, rich and dirty; last, the flowers: sweet and pale.

This is the sort of scent that shouldn't work, just shouldn't work, but it does.

I love this. On, it's a sweet medley of dark fruits and rich, earthy notes. This isn't a loudly ill-behaved scent. It's smart, quiet, dark, and it bides its time. There's an aura of smug satiety here, like the trouble's over and the deliriously depraved afterglow is just beginning.

I'm very glad I sprung for a partial bottle of this; it's a lovely scent, and one that I hope I can find more of.

bottle: plum and patchouli, wonderful and dark and sweet

wet: the same, deeper, tho. it's...wow.

dry: the musk, and sandalwood both present, now. the floral merely adding to the sweetness of the plum, supporting it.

later: wow, this is so dark without being sharp, or turning oily/burnt/dank like most of the darker notes Beth uses eventually go. it's beautiful in its darkness, which sounds so cloying if not outright overly dramatic and angsty, but really that's the sort of visceral reaction I am having. It feels (to me) a cousin to Phantom Queen, I have the same sensitory reactions to them both. Oh, this is gorgeousness!

Wet, this is quite sweet and plummy, with a slight spicy undertone.

As it dries, the plum and spicy & smoky elements begin to see-saw slightly, fighting to be top notes.

Dry, it has softened to a smoky and musky plum scent. Very much like a plum incense. The champaca flower seems to only smooth the blend out, so floral haters, have no fear. The dreaded patchouli is quite tame here, which is rare for my skin chemistry, so there must not be a lot in the blend. It reminds me a lot of Dr. Seward, and especially of Blood Countess, but once dry it has more of a smoky, incensey quality than the good Dr, who is more floral. Blood Countess is just *slightly* less smoky (I think it's the absence of patchouli).

It's quite nice, but it is incredibly soft on me. Throw is very light, although it started out decently. This seems to be a recurring theme in the past week, so maybe it's just a hormonal thing...

Very nice, but it's similar to other scents I already have and love, scents that have better throw, so I'm spared the agony of hunting down a bottle. Phew!

Edited by naeelah

OMG.

I had some sort of fit of temporary insanity and compulsively swapped for and bought three imps of this right around the same time, before I'd even smelled a single one; I was petrified after I did it that I'd end up not liking it, but fortunately my fears were dispelled.

This is WONDERFUL. Just the sort of dark and incensey thing I always adore. Nag champa, patchouli, and plum - I don't really get the narcissus itself, but it's probably sweetening the plum. It's a soft brown cloud of incense powder dribbling with sticky plum - it's luscious! I'm glad I have three imps of it. :P

I get warm inscense and something spicy, almost peppery. It gets a bit milder and more musky, possibly slightly fruitier as it dries down. It's slightly masculine and somehow very "alert" to the senses (must be the spicy pepperyness).

This is the first scent I purchased, and I cannot believe that I never wrote just how much I LOVE this scent.. omg.. I have been hording this since I bought it and have used it sparingly.. I wore it again today and omg... Love.. just the right amount of spice and sweet that make your eyes roll to the back of your head and hold the bottle tight and swear that if seamus would marry me.. I'd marry him.. if bigamy was legal of course.

I honestly think this is one of BPAL's very best scents. It's not just because it works very well on me (and my husband, and everyone I know) but because it's truly a gorgeous blend of notes. Just wonderful.

It smells dark, warm, and... radiant. The musk is made sweet by the plum and champaca flower, and the sandalwood and patchouli give it a lovely earthy grounding.

I like it so much that I never wear it, which is stupid. My 10ml just sits there while I wring my hands and worry about running out. Well, bollocks to that. I'm wearing it. It's too gorgeous not to wear. And when I run out, I run out. But I'm not going to just let it sit there anymore.

In Vial: Sweet, smooth, a bit masculine

Wet: Smells creamy like carmel and vanilla but without being foody. To me this smells nothing like the notes listed.

Later:This gets milder as it dries. A tiny bit spicey. A deep rich, golden vanilla note is present throughout. Not as masculine on drydown.

I finally finally finally won a bottle of Hellion.... imps that I received varied wildly, and now that I have my own 10 ml from The Lab, I don't want to wear it! LOL

This is a beautiful warm plum on me, with something smokey and exotic developing out of the plum. Deep but light, if that makes sense. It seems to feed on skin warmth and it glows. I get a hint of vanilla or something sweet... champaca, probably. Utter and complete perfection!

In the bottle: Dark amber oil. Dark and dirty patchouli, sharp narcissus, smoky dry sandalwood. Hints of sweet musk and heady champaca, but not enough to redeem the over smoky dark heaviness.

Dry The fruity-sweet plum and lovely rich champaca flower come out on my skin, and the musk amps sexily. The patchouli softens a bit, but is still too dirty-rooty. The sharpness of the narcisuss and the burnt dusty sandalwood are unbearable, though.

Nicer than I would have imagined, but not my style. Well blended nonetheless.

First off, a big Thank You to the lovely Ifinena who frimped me this little beauty! To me, this is a beautiful, spicy, musky plum with a touch of incense. It kind of reminds me of Shalimar, only plummier and juicier. It definitely feels like a "naughty" scent to me, very appropriate for a night of rabble rousing on the town. I just won some Hellion on e-bay to add to my frimp. So excited when I find a new love!!

In the vial: Sharp floral first, over a dark base and a tangy but not sweet note.

Wet: A spicy floral comes up immediately, warmer and darker than before. It's a little sharp, but delicious.

Twenty minutes: Ah, the fruit has arrived. It's sweeter now, floral, a bit smoky,and with the nom-nom-nom impression of musk and patchouli working together. This is really nice.

Hour and a half: The plum note in this is really delicious, as floral as it is fruity. I like this quite a lot: fruity, floral, spicy, and a bit of smoke.

Two and a half hours: I like this one very much. It's a little less smoky now, though.

Four hours: Still great. It's a little darker than my usual fruit-floral loves (of which there are many), but the plum note is divine in this one.

Eight hours: Mostly died back to patchouli, but still noticeable and I still like it.

Dirrrrrtyyy. Something fruity checks in, that must be the plum. Plum comes up even more and is now the prominent note.

Inside the bottle, plum and patchouli.

Wet on my skin, it's initially sharp floral and a little bitter.

The more this oil dries down, though, the more the plum emerges-----this incredibly dark & sexy plum musk scent mingled with patchouli.

Oh Hellion My Hellion, How I love thee!!!

Applied on my skin, it is a gorgeous patchouli. That head shop kind of smell that I love. I can't get enough of this scent. It is by far, in the top three of my favorite scents ever. This scent lasts & lasts on me. :wub:

Oh my word. I don't think there are enough words to describe the awesomeness that is Hellion. Resin-y,incense-y,plummy HEAVEN in a bottle!!!!!!!!! I can't stop slathering myself in it. Thank goodness I scored a 10 ml!!! :joy:

ETA- I have come to realize that I looooove champaca. I think that note in Hellion is one of the reasons I lurve it so much :wub2: The champaca in this is just amazing.

I have also recently been wearing Temple Viper often,another blend with champaca that I truly adore... Mmmmmmm!

Edited by Sammy

Imp: Blood Countess without the florals, actually. If I didn't know better I would think there was opium in this.

Wet: Hellion's kind of quiet initially. A dark plum scent without a whole lot of other things going on. Maybe a hint of sandalwood?

Dry: It reminds me so strongly of Blood Countess but (thankfully) I think I prefer Blood Countess. This falls a little flat on my skin--it's lacking something that prevents it from really being all it can be. The black plum dominates with a hint of sandalwood and nag champa. Though I love both dark musk and patchouli, they combine to create a furry sort of vibe here that doesn't seem to work on my chemistry with the surrounding notes. The longer it sits on my skin the more tolerable it becomes but perfume should be sniffed and adored, not tolerated.

Throw: Mild.

Overall: I guess I'm probably just relieved it's not the greatest on my skin. It reminds me not only of Blood Countess but also of Makhanitis and Prospero. A nice plum blend and I'm happy to have tried it but I don't think it's my bag.

In the bottle: Dark plum & incense.

Wet on skin: Plum, incense, dark musk and woods!

Dry on skin: The sandalwood & smoke take over, with the lingering red scent of the plum & the earthy patchouli. Oh my.

Final thoughts: When I read the notes, I knew that this one was for me. And indeed, it is beautiful! The plum is just ripe enough, the woods and incense smoke are magnificent, the musk is just quite present to support the other notes. Hellion, I'm so lucky to have found you.

Try if you like: Snake Charmer, Blood Countess (because the reviewer just above me was right!).

Edited by CreamyJade

I won a partial bottle of this on ebay.

Actually I only bought it to complete my Seamus statue with it..:lol:

In the bottle it is - indeed - dark and fruity.

I love the patchouli in this, its kinda heady and beautifully aged.

The plum starts out sugared but calms down very fast to

leave me with something vaguely spicy-sweet smelling.

All in all I really like this and I am so happy I finally got my statue completed.

Hellion V2 proto:

I won this on ebay too -

but Hellion and V2 are VERY different to my nose.

On skin V2 smells more like Hunter Moon 2004 to me -

its fruity and musky, untamed and wild.

It smells more like an old bordeaux wine, dark red and almost sirup-y, but not sweet.

Rather thick and *I know it sounds strange* its texture feels like blood.

I love both versions,

but to me V2 is the more wearable one - Hellion is for worshiping...:D

Hmmmmm.

In the vial, this was a rather bright, sweet plum. Then, first applied, all I could smell was patchouli - which I don't like that much when it is too sharp. Then it faded a bit, and the plum came out again.

Hmmmmm.

I don't know. I is sweet and a bit spicy, and reminds me of Madame Moriarty, which is a favorite, but still. A little too sweet.

And now the incense is coming out. I burned incense in my room when I was a teenager, and I still like the smell, but not that much in perfume. Oh well...off to swaps it goes, I guess.

In the bottle - Dark plum with narcissus are the two main notes coming to the fore, but with a subtle backing of the pathouli. Quite the dark scent.

Wet - Plum and patch!

Drying - Mmm, finally getting some champaca in there. It's one of my favorite florals! The narcissus is very much making its presence known, though, keeping the plum from being nearly as fruity as it seems to want to be. I'm not really getting much in the way of sandalwood, probably due to the "scorched" nature of the note. Really, it's plum with some nicely mingling florals on a bed of the patchouli. It is very dark, but complex.

Dry (3.5 hours) - It has stayed surprising true to before. The plum has become much more dry and the florals have actually backed off, but it still very staying strong.

Overall - I actually don't care for this much if only due to the patchouli. If it were missing that one note, I'd love it, but meh.

Decant from a lovely forumite :)

I have a decant of v2, but I was curious as to what the released version was like (and I am a plum fiend).

Wet, this is dark plum and sandlewood, with the patchuli and musk in the background.

Dry the sandlewood comes to the fore more, with the patchuli and musk, and the plum becomes more of the grounding note. Smokey and deep.

I like this a lot, as much as v2. But the two are quite different so its easy to love both <3

Decant from a lovely forumite :)

I have a decant of v2, but I was curious as to what the released version was like (and I am a plum fiend).

Wet, this is dark plum and sandlewood, with the patchuli and musk in the background.

Dry the sandlewood comes to the fore more, with the patchuli and musk, and the plum becomes more of the grounding note. Smokey and deep.

I like this a lot, as much as v2. But the two are quite different so its easy to love both <3

I love the Lab's plum note and I was super happy when I received a decant of Hellion in a swap, years ago. It is a special blend, and I only wear it a few times a year because I'm such a slatherer and I don't want to waste it.

It's a sexy and very adult plum - blended beautifully with the other notes to create this smoky and spicy vibe.

It's stunning and I feel glamorous when I wear it. I'm so happy to have some to treasure.