Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
friendthegirl

Lemon, Lemon, Lemony Goodness

Kumiho goes lemony on me, but more of a "lemon juice" than a "lemon meringue" - you might layer it with a pure sugar thing like Zarita. I don't get any lemon out of Dorian - more of an alcoholic vanilla.

I'll second the Zephyr recommendation - I found that had a much creamier lemon smell than Phantasm (sherbet lemons) or Embalming Fluid (lemon detergent) on me, without being particularly foody. I also don't get any lemon from Dorian!

I was just going to say Polyhymnia myself - I absolutely love it. It's got a bright lemony top note and a sweet incensy base. Another that's a little like this is The Great Sword of War, although that's a little heavier on the woods.

If you're looking for a softer, less biting, powdery lemon, try to hunt down Enraged Bunny Musk. Though I don't believe lemon is one of the listed ingredients (or maybe it is), I seem to recall that other reviewers, as well as I, pick up a soft lemon. Kinda like a powdered-sugar-covered lemon cookie. mmmm. Delousing Powder, an unreleased scent, is similar to it. I know lemon and lime are two completely different scents, but if you also like lime, try Envy...it's one of my favorites...very fresh, juicy, bright -- just like lemon is.

I pick up a lot of lemon in The Phantom Calliope when it's fresh, not so much as it ages. And of course Phobos is a standout :P

Wasn't there some in Mme Moriarty too? but it seems to me that it completely disappeared as the blend aged :D

I ADORE Phobos. It's lemony but there's something else about it that is just sexy. I am nto one of those folks who gets Lemon Pledge obviously :P

Oils that have smelled like lemon to me:

Whitechapel

Severin

Arcana

Yuki-Onna (Discontinued LE)

Great Sword of War

Phantasm

Polyhymnia

The Dormouse

These are the only ones I've tried, and The Dormouse is the most like lemon meringue to me. :-)

I'm suprised no one has mentioned June Gloom, but that's probably due to it being a long discontinued LE and the floral notes in it.

As for things you can buy right now, Lustration is a perfect lemon zing.

Namaste is a beautiful strongly lemongrass scent with rose and jasmine and an undertone of incense.

One of my all-time favorites.

:P

Seconded.

Seconding (thirding?) some of what others have mentioned:

Phobos is pretty much straight lemon and white musk to my nose - it's bright, fresh, and perfect if you're looking for a soft, sweet lemon scent.

Severin - easily one of my *favourites* - is a gorgeous, delicate blend of lightly sweetened lemon and dark tea. Leather is also involved, but it works so well with the other notes that you can barely tell it's there. Highly recommended. :P

Carnaval Diabolique has quite a few notes listed, but all I ended up getting was pure candied lemon. It's another one I'd recommend snagging a decant of.

Bunny Musk didn't have any lemon in it (it's another one in my top ten :D) - Delousing Powder, however, is like EBM's citrus twin. It was strongly reminiscent of a creamy lemon sherbert on my skin. If you can track some down, I think you'll really enjoy it. :D

Time to revive this thread and see what's new and yummy in the lemon realms! :P

Haloes has a lemony creaminess on my skin, but I am still looking for my dream lemon scent for summer. It's the Love's Fresh Lemon of my youth -- a sugared lemon that stays bright and refreshing, not sharp or perfumey. Like a lemon drop, lemon curd. Suggestions?

I cannot agree with Sophia_helix more about Severin. It's TART lemon- really wonderful. I adore it. Next, I'd say go for Shanghai, another of my favorites, because it has more lemon than tea (invert it for Phantasm).

I have to say Severin is a foul rubbery thing with no lemon to my nose at all.

I also find Phantasm to be far more lemony than Shanghai.

I think Embalming Fluid and Shanghai are quite similar, though I personally prefer Shanghai. It smells smoother to my nose, a bit thicker. Embalming Fluid smells thinner and cleaner. As for Phantasm, it was more jasmine on me than anything else.

I agree, Embalming Fluid and Shanghai are quite similar. Shanghai lasts longer on me though.

Phobos is a delicious lemon.

I'm wondering about this Lustration stuff.

I'm wearing Lustration today, and it is like a nice tart lemonade without much sugar. Refreshing, but soft. ALMOST exactly what I'm looking for. (Plus all its lovely magical qualities, of course.)

oakmoss, I used to SLATHER myself in Love's Fresh Lemon and would adore it if I could find a BPAL that was close. Closest I've come is Whitechapel, which I love, but it isn't quite right.

I found Carnaval Diabolique to be THE strongest lemon scent so far. It's not 'toilet cleaner' like some, more lemon meringue pie. Hope this helps!

It turns out nothing in the realm of my growing perfume addiction would delight my fiance as much as me suddenly smelling like lemon pie. For something different, I was musing to myself that maybe I'd try a "lemon meringue pie" sort of scent and his eyes just lit up! I'm usually pretty take it or leave it with a side order of "meh" citrus-wise, but apparently he has it bad for lemons! Who knew? Anyways, what I'd love is a sweet, lemony GC scent that is sugary and/or creamy. I've been eying Zephyr and Phobos, leaning more toward Zephyr. What do you think? I want a nice lemon scent that'll make my guy happy, and make me a happy citrus-lover. I want to embrace the lemon meringue! :P

Edited by LadyLuckless

Neither Zephyr nor Phobos fit that description. Zephyr is a musky, refreshing lemon, while Phobos is a bracing, chilling lemon. I would recommend Follow Me Boy or Cheshire Moon.

Hmm, well I like the lemon balm in Carnaval Diabolique, but I am not sure if it is really meringue-ish.

Side note: When I first saw this thread, it was cut off at "Help Me Smell Like a Lemon Mer.." and all I could think was a Lemon Mermaid.

Now I wonder what that would smell like?