Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
March

Grass and Hay scents

Mag Mell was very green and grassy wet, but went a little sour dry, since my skin hates all aquatic/rain scents with this unreasonable passion. The most "green plant" smells I've found are Pontarlier (maybe a bit sharper than grass, but very very green), Masquerade, and Ra. The latter two are more of that very green/earthy patchouli variety than true green plant, but they might do something interesting on you. Pontarlier is definitely on the top of my list. Garden Path With Chickens seems to be reviewed as being very green -- it's on my wishlist. Silly Salon imps -- not venturing out alone.

Bumping this thread - I must be thinking of spring - I think that Garden Path With Chickens has a very fresh, green grass note in it. It's combined with lots of wildflowers and just a hint of something aquatic that gives it a dewy feel, but that green grass hits me every time. I can't wait to order a bottle of this one.

I heartily second this one. I love Teh Chickens. So fresh, so pretty and such a natural floral. The grass note is heavenly.

I get a really strong broken stems/cut grass smell from Orpheus.

I really need to get Garden Path with Chickens. It sounds heavenly.

Yep, the Chickens are the Holy Grail of grass, IMO.

Orpheus is pretty good for that crushed-stem note, but it gets very perfumey on me as it dries.

Chickens rule :P

Squirting Cucumber is pretty grassy in the lawn-grass sort of way.

( Think it was a parody of a Glen Campbell song but does anyone remember "It's good to smoke the green, green graaa-yass of HOME?)

Edited by themerrybaker

I've searched the recommendations board and couldn't find anything like what I'm describing. I'd like something that smells like wet fallen leaves, grass, and rain. Maybe a little dirt. Something like you would smell walking through trees after it rains in October. I really love Blade of Grass for warmer weather but I'd like something a bit more complex for fall. Can anyone help please? Thank you!

I haven't personally tried it yet, but you might want to try some of the current LE offerings if you haven't already. Halloween San Francisco in particular is "Rain falling on rain-soaked leaves," and Nothing Gold Can Stay has been compared to A Blade of Grass and more of an autumn grass scent.

Falling Leaf Moon smells like fall leaves and fresh rain to me, but not so much on the green grass note. You might want to try October and Autumn Coolness as well. For a GC, Hurricane has a rain & earthy wood quality to it, though I don't get a green feel from it at all. The Black Tower is complex and good for autumn, with a bit of a green edge from the ivy note.

I was going to say the same thing about the Weenie San Francisco. I haven't tried it either but the reviews I read seemed to match what you're looking for.

Other grass notes but perhaps more spring green are Squirting Cucumber & Garden Path with Chickens <--- like this one!

OHH.. Dance of Death! similar to LUSH's Tramp(recently moved to retro catalog) is a good one too..

(LUSH also has a new shower gel "Grass" and "Squeaky Green" shampoo bar.

there are some others I think you may like in this section of the site: http://blackphoenixalchemylab.com/funeral.html

good luck :D

I would also recommend Encroaching madness and Nothing Gold can stay. Both of these LE's are currently available and smell just like grass to me! :eek:

Another vote over here for Falling Leaf Moon. It smells like the afternoons I spent walking in a certain park in Portland last October/November after the leaves had been falling for a couple of months, but there were still some leaves on the trees, and it had been raining about the same amount of time, so you have rain, leaves, dirt, and slightly-decaying leaves. If there was a Halloween: Portland scent, this would be it, although it's missing the way-too-pervasive-for-my-allergies woodsmoke, which actually makes it *perfect* for me since, well, allergies.

Another vote over here for Falling Leaf Moon. It smells like the afternoons I spent walking in a certain park in Portland last October/November after the leaves had been falling for a couple of months, but there were still some leaves on the trees, and it had been raining about the same amount of time, so you have rain, leaves, dirt, and slightly-decaying leaves. If there was a Halloween: Portland scent, this would be it, although it's missing the way-too-pervasive-for-my-allergies woodsmoke, which actually makes it *perfect* for me since, well, allergies.

This sounds perrrrfect!!! I have a box of imps from when I was really into bpal last year so I'll go through and see if I have Oct or any of the other non LE ones and then add to the ol' wishlist!! Thank you girls! :)

Evening Cicadas and Red Peppers from last year's Yule LEs is a nice one.

"Frost-limned, ice-bejeweled branches, scattered blood-red maple leaves, a few camellia petals, red peppers, and nacreous, multi-colored musks that shimmer like gently-beating cicada wings."

The ice reads as rain to my nose.