Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Laurel the Woodfairy

Determination

A powerful aid in finding the strength, drive and determination to complete projects. Battles frustration and sloth, and rejuvenates your work ethic.

I do believe this is the first Review thread I have ever started. How...terrifying. :P I am grateful to a certain nameless lady for gifting me with this.

Determination is a high-in-the-nostrils scent. You would not wear it for the perfume, but it *will* kick your butt into gear. It seems to be primarily patchouli with a sharp edge of vetiver. Masculine and strong, this is the scent of your gimlet-eyed personal trainer yelling at you to do just five more reps. No leather, but a whip-cracking scent nonetheless. I'm saving it for professional all-nighters to come... Edited by Shollin

Definitely not a mellow blend--although I suppose from the name that much is obvious. I put this on thirty minutes ago because fatigue was kicking in but I still had work to do, and now I'm finding it hard to wind down. A bad thing if you want to go to sleep, but mission accomplished if you're looking to push through and get the job done. Determination--whaddya know?

So, it's not a pleasant aroma, but not cat pee to the high heavens either. Strong, and a little...something. So I guess this is vetiver? I think I recognize some of what's in this from a couple of the Chakra blends.

Edited to add update: since this is now available from the TAL preview site, I thought I'd mention that I have used this quite a few times now and have found it to be very helpful in setting a "getting down to business" vibe, especially if I burn it in my oil burner or dress a candle with it. I've also worn it a few times on days when I'm running around a lot, and I usually layer it under Snake Oil (and Charmer) or dragon's blood if I really want to amp it up. Either way, the sweet tends to tone down the more pungent notes of this blend nicely :D

Edited again to add: since I'm the only one who seems to have smelled civet, and my little untrained schnozz has now learned to recognize vetiver, I have changed my post accordingly :P

Edited by Inanna9

Determination

In the imp: I think I'm going to do the candle thing with this one, my first proper candle ritual! I need a bit of determination to do my coursework, as I'm slacking these days, so I'm hoping this oil can get me going. The scent in the decant is earthy and intense, mainly patchouli and vetiver.

Wet on skin: ooh, this sweetens nicely, so it's a sweet patchouli-vetiver. I anointed a candle with this oil whilst focusing on having the determination I need to do my coursework and revision-as I did this, I could feel some sort of energy in my hands-a light tingling sensation, which seemed like an indication that the oil was working...

Dry on skin: the scent is actually quite nice, a sweet, but deep and earth patchouli-vetiver. There may be a sweet musk or a vanilla/tonka/amber note in here, it's very pleasant. But it does have a kick to it, a kind of strictness that says 'get to work! put your back into it!' though not too strictly, thanks to the sweetness. So right now I'm going to see what happens, intent-wise.

After a while: over time, the scent of this oil gets drier, and also slightly powdery. I detect a woody undercurrent-maybe sandalwood? The vetiver note is deep and rich, and there may be tobacco in here as well. There's a powdery, light sweet scent to this reminiscent of violet or iris, it's probably a floral note. It's not bad as a scent…but that's nothing compared to what it's doing in terms of purpose! It seems my candle ritual is working and whilst I was burning the candle with this oil, I was getting so focused on my coursework, I was working so hard and nothing distracted me!

Verdict (scent): this is of a deep, rich, earthy vetiver based scent with a sweetness to it which may be from a resinous note, or some vanilla, and also some patchouli and a sweet wood note. there's also a powdery aspect to the scent which may be floral in origin, maybe violet or iris? It's a pleasant scent, but not one I'd wear as perfume (but then again, that's not the point). It's a bold, solid, stern scent but with something sweetening and softening it.

Verdict (intent): whoa. This stuff is incredible! I don't know if it's the oil, the scent, the action of doing a ritual or what, but I did a candle ritual with this, dressing a white candle (I had no other colours at the time, and I don't know what colour is good for determination so I thought all-purpose white will do) whilst concentrating on doing well and working hard on my coursework. Now the coursework I need to do is an absolute bitch, it is maths relating to my degree, and it's HARD. I had tried to do it before but kept getting distracted. But as soon as the candle was lit (and I had a bit on my wrists), I was incredibly focused. I was determined to do those questions. I didn't chicken out by looking at them and thinking 'shit, this is so hard, my brain hurts!' I worked hard on them and tried my best to work them out without stopping, without a distraction, for one whole hour. And that's pretty amazing for me because usually it's just five minutes of maths before I get distracted by something else or drift off. I'll have to try this again to make sure it wasn't a fluke, and if not, I'm getting a bottle for sure! (Next time, I'm going to try this with Concentration!)

To sum it up in a smiley: :D (for scent), :P (for intent!)

Edited by yeahbutnobut

When I used this blend, I did a little meditation to clear my mind and focus on my goals for the day (I found out the hard way I had to be VERY SPECIFIC. I used this once without specifying my goals explicitly, and I spend a good portion of the day working on my Tarot studies, instead of what I should have been doing. YMMV, but that was my experience). I am incredibly impressed so far. When I wear it, I just don't stop until I have done my goals, and I seem to have acquired a distaste for procrastination.

Scent-wise I actually quite like it, which is a bonus.

Edited for an update: Still excellent stuff, but in addition to being VERY specific about what you want to accomplish, be realistic as well. I've fallen into this little trap a few times now where I take goals that can't be realistically done in a day. With Determination on, I stay up and about, without eating or sleeping, untill it's DONE. The time I did try to go to bed, I lied awake for hours, thinking about what I should be doing. It's fantastic stuff, but potent.

Edited by Tesseljoan

Reason for use: I've been in a total rut at work lately, spinning my wheels and not being very productive.

Use: After making a specific to-do list of a lot of hassly tasks that I've been putting off literally for months, I anointed the backs of my hands with Determination, while visualizing myself blasting efficiently through the list and feeling positive about what I was doing.

Results: Excellent. Even though I'd looked at the list and initially thought it was probably too ambitious for one day, I just comfortably put my head down and got to it, and the list was all crossed off within two hours. And done well, too, not just a half-assed job. I'm very pleased - I think my imp of Determination will probably live at work from now on!

For the record, the scent was earthy, heavy on the vetiver - which always has a 'let's kick some ass and take some names' feel to me, even in regular BPAL scents, so I'm sure that helped as well.

I keep an imp of this in my desk drawer at work; I've found it to be remarkably helpful to get me to stop lollygagging around and get loads of work done. I'm usually easily distracted, but Determination really helps me stay on track.

Usually, I just swipe it into the palm of my hand and rub my hands together (like Concentration's instructions) and off I go.

Smells strongly of vetiver, which I like, so it doesn't bother me at all.

Well done, Labfolk.

Thanks to ayelienne for passing this imp along. It's definitely vetiver and something else powerful-smelling -- I've been using it for my law school finals, and while it's not exactly pleasant, it does give me this almost acidic feeling of determination. I don't feel happy...but I feel like I need to get my damned work done even though it's taking me all night and killing me. :P

Wow this scent is abrasive! Not a scent-only perfume for two reasons now. I used this to help myself keep on my path a few days ago and to follow through all the tasks I started. The downside was I couldn't stop making jewelry because I wasn't finished and was therefore late getting down to see my SO.

Scentwise, this was awful on my skin. In the vial, it's minty and fresh and clean, reminding me of Tarot: The Star. There seems to be a light citrus in there as well as a sweet resin and patchouli. On the skin, it was overloading resin and the mint disappeared in the darkness of that resin.

Usagewise, it worked, maybe too well. I dabbed some on my wrist during a quick ritual and it definately kicked my butt in gear to do things. I did everything I set out to do and then some so I was very happy with the blend.

Scent: 2/5; Entirely unpleasant on the skin but okay in the bottle

Usage: 4.5/5; perfect except for it made me do too much, will remember that for next time

Imagery: None

A lot of the TAL blends have smelled really lovely to me. Determination is not one of them, lol. At first it has a rather pleasant resin smell, goldeny and myrrh-like. Then, after a few minutes, it smells like intensely powdery and overwhelming vetiver. And it is _strong_.

Edited by Little Bird

Determination isn't unpleasant to me at all. I love it!

There's a strong vetiver base, and I know how many people are afraid of the big bad V- but the vetiver in this comes out more like it does in Blood Kiss than in the more masculine blends. It smells more like an aromatherapy oil than a perfume, It's VERY woody and twiggy, and it's HIGHLY concentrated.

As a study aid or for rituals involving goals, the smell of determination seems imminently suitable. If you look at "determination" as adrenaline energy, this is not really going to be your kind of tool. Instead, it's more suitable for those times when you want to drudge up something from your gut. The oil itself seems like nature amplified, and there's something very comforting and unassuming about working with it. You feel supported and grounded, and for that reason I associate it with inherent reserves of strength.

Determination - When I first sniff this in the vial, I almost gag from the wretched scent – it’s dark and deep patchouli with something else in it that causes my gag reflex to kick in – quite possibly vetiver? However, once I apply a bit to my skin, the gag-causing scent disappears, and it becomes a lovely, deep, woody, and resinous patchouli and ??? scent (musk? amber?) In the end, it turns out that I love the scent. As for intent purposes, I’d say it works! Every time I’ve tried it, I’ve found myself getting on top of tasks and projects that I’ve been putting off and that I don’t really want to do and can never bring myself to complete. I’ve completed so much in my life since I started using Determination that I think I may need to get a full bottle of this and get all my other unfinished projects finalized!

In Bottle: Patchouli

On Skin: Oh no, my dreaded enemy… patchouli. This has an insanely strong amount of patchouli in it, there’s no missing it and it’s telltale dirt note it has on me. There is also vetiver without a doubt, another note that hates me. This isn’t looking very promising. Not that these oils are supposed to be worn anyway, but I can’t even handle my room smelling like this. Which is to bad because latelt I’ve thought of giving up on some important things in my life and I could really use help in the determination department. Overall it is very earthy and resinous with a dark feel. This scent doesn’t work on me at all. I had to go wash it off. It has a very strong throw but I can’t comment on the wearlength since I rinsed it off.

I believe this was a gift from couscous (thank you!), a little decant.

And, as I've been locked into "ho hum, how can I avoid my real tasks for the day" I thought--well now, let's see.

(I am still avoiding real tasks whilst writing this review, but I am feeling much more activated).

It's vetivert, nearly pure. Fortunately, a scent I happen to love (it makes my family gag, but that might well be a secret weapon--I will focus on the tasks that require no interruption!).

Nice to have on hand. (*leaves to accomplish much*)

In the imp: man, earthy. lots of herbs and lots of vetiver and incense.

Usage: dabbed on palms and backs of hands and rubbed in.

On me, wet: patchouli and vetiver, very strong, almost choking. I guess it'll keep me alert if nothing else, but it's not an entirely pleasant smell.

On me, dry: soft but persistent vetiver. It's very good for making me focus. In fact, if anything, it's too good at making me complete tasks - it's very hard to break off and tend to more urgent things before I've finished what I'm working on.

Verdict: I'm going to try others in the same general TAL area, but this one is pretty efficacious. I just wish it smelled a little better.

Determined to power through some things that have been stacking up and bugging me for WEEKS, I dabbed on some Determination, over my heart chakra. Man oh man, do I hate the vetiver. :P But like some foul-tasting herbal tinctures, sometimes yumminess is not the point. My focus stayed on point and my energy stayed high, without falling into spaciness or discouragement. This is not a blend that is conducive to quiet thoughtful work, perhaps, as I felt a restless energy that wants to be moving and doing. Next time, though, I think I'll try it on a candle or in a burner, especially since vetiver is very determined to not wash off my skin!

I've had Determination for quite a while, and it always smelled like lime and heavy vetiver to me. Not a scent I'm fond of, but these are all about making things happen, so I've sucked it up and used Determination when I really needed it.

I learned very quickly that you've got to be VERY specific when using Determination. The first time I used it, I was trying to make myself sit down and do a particularly unpleasant homework assignment that I'd been putting off until it was nearly overdue. I didn't really sit down and focus on what I wanted to be determined about, and when I went down to our office to get started on the homework, I found myself unable to resist cleaning and organizing my desk. It needed it desperately, but I needed to be doing something else! I couldn't seem to pull away from the desk project; in the end, the office looked fabulous and I could find things ... and the homework was late after all.

Several months later, I find myself in a homework slump again. I'm on the edge of - not burnout, exactly, but melting a little, maybe? - after 9 months of balancing school 12 hours a week after work, all the accompanying homework, three kids, my husband's new firm, and life in general. I want to be a sloth and spend quality time with my family on the two evenings a week I don't have class, which doesn't lead to getting homework and papers finished.

This time I sat down in the closet floor, got out the bottle of Determination, and started thinking about the homework I had to get finished and why it was important to do it. I thought about how tired I was and how I knew I was nine months into an eighteen-month program and couldn't throw it all away over exhaustion and disillusionment.

Oddly enough, Determination smelled completely different as I put it on. Yes, there was a brief flash of vetiver, but this time I smelled like a really nice, if earthy, man's cologne. I marched downstairs, grabbed an oil burner, added some Determination to it, and settled myself into the office.

In spite of my husband doing very loud remodeling work in the living room, my steno machine's electric mode going out, and my software being unable to read what I was putting into my machine, I got the homework finished. I got the homework that was past due finished, too. Four hours of really good, really solid practice time, and all the homework finished. I even enjoyed it, for a wonderful change.

The office smelled of manly cologne and a beautiful powdery wood note, and I slathered on some more Determination as I set out in a thunderstorm and terrible downpour for a two-hour drive to pick up my daughter from a weekend with her father.

Determination worked beautifully for me. I was serious about it, made sure the oil knew what I needed, and made sure *I* knew what I needed.

When I put it on Monday morning in an attempt to power through all the crap that I knew would be waiting at work, I smelled like I'd been dipped in vetiver. Blech.

My best explanation is that Determination knew what I could handle on my own and what I really needed help with, and when I don't really need it, I can expect the joys of plain, old vetiver. :P

I read a review of this TAL on lj and bought the imp from the reviewer. I am so glad I did. Summer is ending and I have been uninspired to do important but mundane tasks. Last night I used a bit with the intention of cleaning out my filing cabinet and organizing my papers. They were a mess of articles and receipts, papers on top and around. I thought about what I needed to do, inhaled the oil and immediately felt focused toward the task. I put some on each wrist and over my palms, rubbed them together and spent the next few hours on task.

Friends are coming back to school and I will have some guests, I have been intending to clean out the pantry, mop the floor, get the kitchen really cleaned up and so that is what I did this morning. I could have done it without the oil, but not for as long and I didn't resent doing the work. It felt good to do it.

The smell is dark and smoky and not at all unpleasant to me. I dig it.

determination does not seem to help me stay on track for tasks.

BUT. this is the first scent I've worn that has stopped total strangers in their tracks. for serious. I'd been wearing it to work on days that I know are going to be high stress, just keep shoving, only 425 minutes to go before it's over days.

each time, somebody has walked past me, stopped, turned around, and said, "You smell. AMAZING. what *is* that?"

It must just work with my skin chemistry! I have this obsession with vetiver (yes, 'thena, we KNOW) and if this has patchouli in it then I must invest heavily in patchouli based scents. it starts off yelling vetiver, but then it settles down into this creamy blend with this peppery edge that just smells like IDEAL perfume to me.

Now if only it helped me keep focused on crap I need to do but enjoy putting off...

I wish this lasted as long on me as it does others. For the first 2-3 hours after I first put on Determination, I was working away like mad (not necessarily on what I was *supposed* to be doing, but working at a furious pace nonetheless), but after that, the effect faded on me.

It did seem to work though. I just need to focus on what I *need* to get done in the future, rather than get carried away and do everything that wasn't on my priority list. lol.

Scent: The scent is dark and resinous, but I wasn’t paying a whole lot of attention to the way it smelled.

Usage: I’m trying to lose weight… I’m only about 30 pounds above what I should be, but I’m having a very hard time fighting off snack attacks that jump me when I’m not hungry at all. I anointed a piece of seashell with Determination and asked it to be my anchor, my focus… my magic feather, so to speak.

Results: I carry the shell in my pocket and touch it when the cravings hit, and it seems to ground me. The scent is actually clinging to the shell quite well several days later, and it’s another reminder of what I'm trying to accomplish.

I agree with sophia_helix, both times I've worn Determination I felt like I was being driven to finish whatever I had to do, but I didn't particularly enjoy it. That's okay though - sort of what I thought "determination" would feel like. I didn't particularly notice the scent the last time I wore it, but today I put High John on my neck & ears (because when I wear High John I feel like kicking ass and taking names), and Determination on my wrists.

Wet it smelled absolutely terrible (maybe that was the vetiver? I've tried so many scents and I still don't know what vetiver actually smells like!), sort of herbally cleaning fluid, but the dry-down was gorgeous incensy resin goodness. I would have sworn up and down that this had red musk in it - on me it smells a lot like Binah or Arabian Nights (both of which smell like Red Musk SN on me), but I guess that could be the patchouli others are getting. I really like the dry phase of Determination as a scent.

I think next time I wear it I will follow the example of some of the other reviewers and make a very specific list of tasks I wish to accomplish, and also give myself permission to stop after a certain amount of time - to avoid staying up all night working, which is what happened the first time I wore it! :P

Okay...

I have been seriously dreading work lately - ready for the holidays I guess - but I thought that since this is a short week (I'm working today and tomorrow then going on vacation until January) I'd apply some Determination.

I'm still not terribly focused on work, but am suddenly quite determined to get back on the diet and exercise wagon (which is a good thing as I have "recently" gained like 10-20 pounds and none of my clothes fit correctly anymore...)

I think the smell is wonderful... am seriously considering buying a big bottle of this as I would wear it as perfume regularly... I admit, it's kind of nasty in the imp, but on the skin it's sweet, resinous, and has a nice faint lemony undertone - sort of the smell of a Lemon Drop - which makes me feel happy and light...

Yowza! This is definitely a strong scent, vetiver and patchouli, masculine and, yes, determined. It might be overpowering to some, but it's strengthening as well. Personally, I like these two dominant notes together, and they do keep me sharp and focused on what needs to be done. This is definitely something I'd want to have around for all-nighters.

I find it interesting that Determination shares a dominant note, vetiver, with the BPAL oil called Sloth! But this very strong vetiver also has something minty and herbal behind it initially. When I use it to dress candles, I get a subtle, fragrant spice, too - something in the coriander-cardamom family. There's a bit of lemony sharpness but also a light, comforting sweetness. I really like the smell of this.

It's very strong, and a little goes a long way.

I haven't put this to the big test yet - I bought a bottle in preparation for an intense writing project I'll be starting in a week and a half - but it has given me a boost with some little things. I'll report back in more detail and edit this review in March.

Belated edit: Very effective in helping me with that intense writing project!

Edited by Mountaingrrl

Whoa, there's a great big hit of vetiver in this ... it's kind of what I imagine some sort of herbal poultice my father once had to ... wear? (not sure that's the words) when he was having his elbow treated by the chinese medicine doctors.

I woke up this morning early enough to go for a run/walk, and figured I'd give a review a go while I was trying not to get overheated. It is kind of ... dark and herbal, if I think about it there might be patchouli in the mix also. It's gearing up to be yet another really hot day, but I was determined to stick out the half-hour or so my ipod mixset goes for, despite the rising mercury. I was good - I checked out what the temperature was prior to starting, and made sure it wasn't bordering on ridiculous for even a walk.

I'ts not likely a scent I'd choose to wear for the scent alone, it's not unpleasant though, and it at least passed on one test so far... admittedly not too difficult! This was part of a trio of TALs I purchased to help with the completion of my final subject, that will be the biggest test, my enthusiasm for the subject needs raising, because I've already been through it so many times. I'm hoping to make use of this in our oil burners while I'm studying, to put me in the right frame of mind to actually complete the given task.

(I should really go and have my cup of coffee now before I ramble incoherently anymore!)