Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Laurel the Woodfairy

Determination

A powerful aid in finding the strength, drive and determination to complete projects. Battles frustration and sloth, and rejuvenates your work ethic.

I have serious procrastination issues when it comes to my studies, even though they interest me, and lately these tendencies of mine have been getting worse (ironically at a time when I need to be more focused than ever).

Use: I anointed my computer with two tiny drops of this, and I applied some on my hands, rubbing them and inhaling the scent, and then I thought: smell goood :P and applied it on my neck too. (Forest informed me in an email that these uses (+ candle and difuser uses) would be fine with Determination)

Smell: This smells WONDERFUL to/on me. Some people really disklike vetiver, but I am beginning to think I like it quite alot!! Generally speaking this scent is woody and herbal, but with warming incense notes, and it is somehow confidently spicy also. With regard to specific notes, I get vetiver and musk. I don't think I can identify the rest, because my nose just isn't that good yet, plus this is seamlessly blended. I honestly think I could wear this every day as a perfume.

Intent: I still need to try it out more, and I will return to add more to this review, but so far, I am so so happy that I got this! It seems like it is giving me that extra shove to get my *ss into gear and get moving! :D I have organised my thoughts again, after a long period of inactivity, and am making some progress. (after just one hour of wearing)

Generally vetiver makes me queasy, but it works in this blend -- I've found that is true of other notes in the Lab's blends. I used Determination while simultaneously quitting a habit I'd recently picked back up [tobacco] and moving house. I've also been working in extended therapy sessions that are difficult to get through.

Others had noted in reviews that it kept them working past the time they should have stopped, so I set very specific goals for each time I used Determination. In quitting an addiction [in my case, tobacco] the indefinite time period that others experienced was a positive thing.

5/5

I sat down at my computer to finish a story that I had started to write, but I was getting nowhere. That feeling of resistance was twisting up my gut, making me feel sluggish and unmotivated. I thought about using something like Hand of Hermes, but the problem was more "bleh, why am I even bothering to do this" more than a lack of creativity. Definitely time to try out Determination. I had worn it in a scent locket before and noticed some pleasant effects, but this time I actually applied some to both wrists. All I can say for the scent is wow, pungent! It's very earthy too. Vetiver is definitely the strongest presence and what a presence it is! I did apply a generous amount, but the throw is still incredible.

I sniffed my wrists for a minute then plopped back down at my computer. The difference was subtle at first, or maybe I didn't notice it kicking in because I was actually working! The knot of resistance slowly melted. There were still some distractions (you know how it's always of paramount importance to organize your socks instead of studying for that exam?), but they were so much easier to resist. I could bat them away easily and keep on chugging. I did take breaks, but they were short and not stemming from that sluggishness. Bottom line, the story got finished in an hour or so with minimal disruptions.

Once the story was done, I remained surprisingly efficient for the rest of the evening.

Verdict: Determination smells pungent and earthy, which I'm not really fond of, but its effectiveness far outweighs any dislike of the scent. It works very well!

Determination is to me everything that is not sweet and creamy in Block Buster. I do like BB, but the smell of Determination was so "not me" that I swapped it away after trying to use it two or three times. I'll stick to Block Buster and Concentration in the future.

Wow. And by this I mean WOW!!!

Determination had been on my wishlist for a while when it was sent to me by a very generous forumite (thank you!). Having just started my own business, determination is something I can always use more of.

I am usually anything but a procrastinator, yet for the past couple of weeks I have to admit that I have been slacking off, which was getting frustrating. Time to give Determination a try!

Having read the reviews above, I made sure to write a list of what I really wanted done this morning, to avoid spending the entire day spring-cleaning or painting my kitchen!

I got up early, took a good look at my To-Do list, dressed a candle with Determination and rubbed the oil on my palms. The scent was not nearly as terrible as I was expecting- I generally do not do well with vetiver, but for some reason it is perfectly tolerable in this blend.

For the next five hours, I did not stop working once and my mind did not wander once. There was absolutely no question in my mind that I would do everything I had set out to and that I would not stop working until then. Not only was I tackling one task after another, I also was working at quite a remarkable speed. All in all, this was one of the most productive times I can remember.

The effects are beginning to fade now, but considering that in five hours I sent two proposals out to a client, caught up on my work correspondence, troubleshooted my wireless connection and replied to five emails, I would call this a morning put to good use. Actually I am rather happy that Determination is fading, because I do not think it would have let me take a break otherwise and it is lunchtime, dammit! :P

Needless to say, I am a convert and I would enthusiastically recommend this oil to anyone who needs a bit of a kick in the pants.

This oil smells just awful on me--like an antique shop or attic at its worst (I mention this for those who are sensitive). It does mellow some after it has dried down for twenty minutes or so.

Used with intent, however, although minimal ritual, it has helped me power through a number of unpleasant tasks today. More so than my ADD medication alone? Perhaps.

Perhaps it is because this stuff smells unpleasant to me, it helps remind me of my intent.

This stuff is the Buckley's cough syrup of magickal oils. It smells filthy (well okay, not filthy, but medicinal and hella strong - vetiver and I definitely don't get on), but by the gods, it works. As mentioned previously, though, focus is crucial. The first time I used it, I spent several hours doggedly playing mah jongg online. :P The second time I caught up on my coursework.

In the bottle: Eesh. Welcome to the vetiver party. It reminds me of a milder High John the Conqueror (but that may be my stuffy nose speaking).

Ritual use: I rubbed a bit onto the palms of my hands and focused (very specifically, given the reviews I've read) on the tasks at hand. It took me a long while to realize that it was working, because it was such a calm feeling. It wasn't the same "DO IT NAO OMG OMG" feeling as Block Buster; it was more "You know what you've got to do, so do it and quit your whining."

I can't really comment objectively about the scent, because I couldn't get over how much it smelled like a woman I used to know, who has long since passed on. It was kind of uncanny.

Coming down from it was also totally different from Block Buster- Determination didn't leave me nervous and jittery like it did. Overall, I think I prefer Block Buster, but I'll definitely find uses for both of them.

Edited by prettybird

I have an awful lot of house-cleaning to do today, so I thought I'd give Determination a try on that occasion.

So far, I'm good, and even the pause for a cigarette on my balcony right now felt a bit weird, as I'm all about going on with the chores... Anyhow, I had to stop for another moment to comment on the scent, because I remembered so many people disliking it, and had been a little wary to order it because of those reviews.

It is earthy, and smoky, but in the most lovely way, and I like it a LOT! :P

On me it smells like a smokier Aureus. Maybe if you took that and added the resiny-smoky Voodoo oil base. A warm, dry, spicy-woody-earthy scent. It feels like a light reddish brown, maybe a pastelle terracotta. I'd totally wear this to work or to the gym (if I ever went there, lol) or other occasions that are connected with getting things done.

Will report back tonight on whether I accomplished everything I have to do today.

This is certainly heavy on the vetiver, so watch out! :ack: I was pretty much dead-set against the smell of vetiver before Determination and the first couple of times I tried to use this it made me feel very, very sick. And then all of a sudden I found I rather like vetiver. D: Maybe because it smells like success? XD

As for the effectiveness this does indeed kick my ass into gear. On days when Concentration won't really do it (that's for days of general fatigue and brain fuzziness) I bust out this bad boy (oh god I can't believe I just said that) for actual motivation, and the feeling lasts a long time. I was still resisting in my mind (I hate this I hate this I hate this) but the part of me that grudgingly knows better (but you need to do it! come on!) finally gets to have its say. Helpful for homework and annoying projects. :evil: In my experience this isn't going to hit you with a sudden sense of purpose but if your diligence wanes (mine lasts about half an hour, normally ;) 'specially for maths... ) it will likely help you take a steadying breath and ease yourself into the rhythm.

whoa, VETIVER. strong, strong vetiver with something else...perhaps patchouli, as other reviewers have said? i think i also get an astringent-citrus sort of not too, but nothing i can describe in words. definitely don't wanna wear this on my skin ever again, but i will definitely try it in a useful way soon.

Today, I was circulating using this, Clarity and Concentration and not only found its scent the most pleasant out of the three, but also the most effective.

As stated in my reviews for Clarity and Concentration, I am battling medication-related lethargy and it's beginning to affect my work. Out of the three blends, I found this the most successful at keeping my sluggishness at bay, so I'm going to keep on using this decant and if I need it, will definitely consider purchasing a bottle for use at work.

I shall also try using it for when I'm doing writing or editing and see how it helps too.

This smells like someone giving me a loving shove in the right direction. It smells strong but not sharp. It doesn't make me feel as though I am pulling on purely my own resources, but as though a loving parent is holding my hand and watching over me to keep me on track. How lovely. I suddenly feel all warm, calm and loved (I am currently on my own and am freezing because it is snowing outside!) What a strange feeling, I've not had a TAL oil work like that purely from a teeny sniff. :hug:

I will update with how it works when I have used it. I imagine that I will anoint myself before doing a task that I am struggling to start/complete.

In the decant, it's very vetiver and maybe a little musk. The smell is bracing and brings me into focus. I can see this being an "eeew yick get it off!" sort of scent for folks who don't have a focus.

As far as intent, I use it before going on long bike rides. I'd much prefer sitting around reading the forums, but last summer I told myself "I WILL go out on long bike rides! Eat less, exercise more, lose fat, gain muscle!". I'd dab some on my 3rd chakra and swipe the wand across the backs of my hands before heading out. During the ride, I'd sniff my hands whenever I needed a little 'oomph', and it did help. Once it warms up, the smell helps center me and isn't as shocking. Quite a useful oil!

This goes on as VETIVER. Not the kinder, gentler vetiver of the recent single note, but a harsh and bracing sort.

Which, you know, is appropriate. I've been using this for my studying during finals week, to keep me focused for my material reviews. The first time I used it, I didn't have much intent assigned to it, and ended up getting ALL THE HOUSE DECORATIONS up both inside and out, gift lists, shopping lists, and to-do lists written, and about half the Christmas gifts wrapped. But I didn't study.

Subsequent usages, I've pulled out my textbooks and notes, focused on my goal, and dabbed a bit onto the pages and my hands. And my, hasn't it been impressive in the results!

It has amazing staying power, and does something on me that is truly magical. It seems to know when I'm past the point of needing to focus and can relax. There isn't any particular time-frame for this. It's been from 1 hour to 11 hours.

When the time for complete, dogged determination has passed, the scent changes. What started as harsh vetiver and stays that way as long as I need it, turns into a gorgeous creamy gleaming scent with a hint of patchouli to it, so it calms and relaxes me when the work is done. I have no good explanation for it, but I really like that it does this.

eta: I figured it out. When the magic happens it transforms from vetiver to glowing vulva.

Edited by Ordo_ad_Chao

Okay, I finally busted out my partial of Determination for a work project.

And it is HELLA effective.

Given where I am in my organization, I am constantly dealing with interruptions. A pretty big narrative report sort of crept up on everyone and I had to spearhead its completion. Knowing that we were running short on time and that the only way to get this puppy done was to be able to POWER THROUGH it, I busted out some Determination two days in a row.

60 pages with graphs, charts, etc. DONE.

As for the smell, its dark and musky. Smells like vetiver and patchouli. And dries to something that almost has some amber in it with swirls of patchouli. Honestly, this could smell like motor oil and I'd still put it on. I was actually complimented on "smelling good", while I was wearing it, so I'm not too concerned. I wasn't paying attention to how it smelled honestly, because my focus was elsewhere.

I agree with others that this is a grounded kind of determination, not a wired kind. Very Capricorn. This is the determination to plod ahead with something you're not excited about. It won't make you excited about it, but you'll get it done. I got a giant pile of prep work done for a department meeting while wearing this--more than we had time to cover in the meeting. I did get occasionally distracted by the usual internet culprits, but it was a lot easier to tear my attention back away from them and refocus.

The scent is mainly vetiver to me, but it's agreeable enough that I think there's a "silent partner" mellowing it out a bit. It's not as softened as the vetiver in Sloth, but then you wouldn't want your determination to be as soft as your sloth. :laugh: I suspect there's a resin in here, but one that doesn't have a scent as strong as myrrh, maybe an amber.

I applied only a tiny bit--an imp-wand drop on one palm and then rubbed them together. I'd be curious to see if a larger amount might make me even more efficient, but the scent might get overpowering if I put on too much more of it.

Is there possibly civet (accord) in this? Something like that? This is almost a dead ringer for the old BPAL Saturn, with the same pungent, animalic note under the (very powerful) vetiver. I'd have to smell them both at once to pin down differences, but it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the notes were the same, since Saturn is all about nose to the grindstone.

As others have said, this is not a blend to make you happy and inspired about what you're doing -- it just kicks out the procrastination. I used it to force myself to meet a deadline...and then immediately scrubbed it off once I was finished, because that animalic note was grossing me out. Next time I might get my work done even quicker just so I don't have to smell that note while wearing Determination. So...yeah, pretty effective. :umm:

After reading the reviews about the intensity of the vetiver I approached this with caution but I do like vetiver in moderation

I wore this today for my PT workout but realised when I got there that I had shifted the booking!

The scent of this on me was surprising. It was a dark, bittersweet smoked chocolate drying down to a rosy vetiver. I really like it

Will need to try again when I have a real PT booking.