Euterpe glanced her fingers o'er her lute,

And lightly waked it to a cheerful strain,

Then laid it by, and took the mellow flute,

Whose softly flowing warble filled the plain:

It was a lay that roused the drooping soul,

And bade the tear of sorrow cease to flow;

From shady woods the Nymphs enchanted stole,

While laughing Cupids bent the silver bow,

Fluttering like fays that flit in Luna's softened glow.

The Giver of Pleasure, Euterpe is the Muse of Music and Lyric Poetry. She is Delight, and her name means "Rejoicing Well". She is credited with inventing the aulos, and is most often depicted playing that double-flute. Her scent is the joy of performing, the euphoria in song, and the passion inspired by all music: carnation and white poppy, honeysuckle, lemon, iris and white musk.

Very pretty and somehow subtly floral, Euterpe has been blended so well that none of her parts outshine the others. True you can smell the carnation a bit but the rest of the mix has become a new entity.This is a close to the skin variety of floral, with a somewhat silk like scent. I would highly recommend a scent locket for wearing this though it doesn't vaporize, it does tone down quite a bit and you would want to be able to smell it distinctly.

Though vanilla isn't listed as a component of Euterpe, there are parts of it that give me a creamy vanilla-like portion to this blend, and I have to say the same thing to all the cassia lovers out there....don't pass this one by if you are a fan of Red Phoenix. There may be no cassia in Euterpe but there is something which reminds me of it.

Euterpe has a bit of a girly edge to it that I find attractive, not bubble gum like, but in a profusion of flowers in harmony. I would definitely say that if you have a chance, give this new muse blend a try.

Edited by Shollin

First on, this smells overwhelmingly of cheap hairspray. It reminds me of Stardust, which was also awful on me. After a few minutes a honeyed lemon scent starts to come in under the hairspray, but I am already getting a headache. This is so strong and sharp.

Sometimes white musk smells creamy and lovely on me, and other times I get this throat clogging awful hairspray scent. The cheap hairspray is killing any other notes that might be in this one. After about 15 minutes, I started to smell what seemed like soapy white florals underneath the sharpness. By then I had a migraine and I had to wash this one off though.

Euterpe hates me :P

I got a bottle unsniffed for my sister as a Yule present--she's a vocal performance major, so Eurterpe is her Muse! I was surprised and delighted by the bottle artwork--a pale blue sky with fluffy clouds and a full-color classical Muse posed on it.

Before passing the Muse along, I get to sample her, right? Right.

In the bottle I smell pale musk and floral. On me, I smell a calm floral blend. Very serene. I can see how white musk could read as hairspray, but it's not that bad on me, just a sweet musk. No one note is jumping out at me. Euterpe is saying "be calm! I shall inspire you if you chill the f**k out already!" or similar. :P I hope Alison likes it...

Euterpe

A very deep masculine floral. I think it is the poppy on this which has a dark edge and makes this blend seem very masculine on me. It smells like a deep dark perfume on me. As it dries, I can pick out some of the lighter floral notes and it is easing up and seeming less masculine. So far this might be my favorite of the muses I've tried. Unfortunately, that isn't saying much as the muses don't really seem to like me.

Euterpe

In the imp: hmm, this is interesting. I get fizzy lemon iced tea or lemonade at first sniff. Then I sniff again and I get carnation, and a slight floral scent which reminds me of my local 'exotic treasures' shop, almost like the incense they burn there…maybe that's poppy?

Wet on skin: a bubbly, tangy, sherbet like lemon, with hints of powdery soft iris, carnation and white musk.

Dry on skin: this is interesting. This scent is very effervescent. It makes me think of that sherbet powder that fizzes and froths in your mouth. It's a very fizzy scent indeed. That's possibly the lemon. I also get a dry, powdery white floral scent that I'm guessing is a mix of iris and poppy. I think I get carnation in here as well, and honeysuckle too. Behind it all is a brisk, airy white musk that seems to 'sparkle', it's a fresh musk. The mix of white musk and iris is very slightly reminiscent of Black Pearl.

After a while: this, to me, seems like a 'brighter' version of one of the 'starry' blends-either Stardust or the Evening Star. There's something glamorous about this scent, and after an hour it now really does have something Stardust like to it, which might be the musk and poppy.

Verdict: this is a fun, effervescent mix of tangy lemon and light white powdery florals, a little bit of carnation and a soft white musk base. It's a sparkling fragrance, fresh and zingy at first but with a powdery, dry undertone. There is no darkness here, nothing profound-this scent is flashy and bright but the musk anchors it nicely without darkening the scent. At the drydown, it is slightly reminiscent of Stardust. I'm not sure if I want a bottle yet but this is a lovely, light scent that will be perfect for spring and summer days but also good for nights out.

edit: I must say that Olympia's icon for this scent is fantastic! Musical muse with an iPod! So clever and so funny :P

Edited by yeahbutnobut

I, too, love olympia's icon for the scent.

On me, Euterpe turned out to be one of those unremarkable, hard to describe in a non-enigmatic way sort of scents. Euterpe starts out slightly lemon-y in a lemon candy sort of way (so not really sour), then mostly dominated by white florals and a heck of a lot of white musk. Then, it gets a bit spicy, smelling vaguely of cinnamon, but of course, that's the carnation. The carnation fades back after an hour, and it's back to the indistinct, unremarkable slightly white floral musk scent, but a lot more indistinct than before. A pleasant scent, but just not for me.

At first I couldn't smell anything but iris. I don't like iris very much. It's sort of a nondescript cool powdery type thing on me. This was sharpened up a bit by the white musk, but not enough to make it interesting.

Maybe half an hour later, the lemon and honeysuckle and another sweet floral that I'm guessing was the poppy suddenly emerged. I also get the vanilla-like note mentioned earlier, which does not work very well on me and makes my nose itch much as Antique Lace did. I never got any carnation, which disappointed me a lot since I love carnation. It was a pretty nice scent, but I wasn't bowled over.

Edited by Savannah

Hmm. The lemon and the musk are the most prominent notes on me. I'm barely getting the florals at all, which makes me sad because I love both honeysuckle and iris. This is lovely, but it think it's too faint for me. I can't smell it unless I smush my nose against my arm.

This was such a promising scent in the bottle. It smells lovely, like lemon pops and a garden after the rain.

And I am not a big fan of lemon, I can give or take it. But I was beginning to like this lemon. But then I could smell some really bad underlying note. It wasn't overpowing, I could only smell it when I put my nose to my wrist but it was definitely there and not at all pleasant. It smelt kind of foody but not in that good way.

I wish I knew which note it was because I have a feeling it's probably my skin chemistry reacting badly rather than the actual perfume oil itself. I know it can't be the honeysuckle or white musk as I've tried others with those notes and have gotten nothing but good chemistry going on, and I'm almost positive it's not the lemon as I haven't had that reaction show up in any other lemon scents I've tried, even the ones I didn't like. So I'm thinking it's one of the other floral notes.

I wish this one had worked. If it weren't for that underlying scent, I think this would have been lovely on me.

This was my first Muse scent. Hoping to have better reactions to some of the others.

Edited by silver_springs

I am a-feared. There's almost nothing in this that I like the sound of.

On my skin it first smells sweet and almost like polished wood! I feel as though I am transported to an historic house, one I have toured through. How odd, but a strong-place association.

Something like lemon tea, too.

And also something like the inside of a Lush store.

How weird. It's that powdery smell, like a Lush bath bomb. There's a Lush product that is almost exactly like this and I can't figure out what, but it makes me happy. I am so perplexed.

What an unexpected blend. The lemon is almost too much, but if it backed off just a bit I'd adore this one. As it is I am quite fond.

This is carnation and honeysuckle on first sniff, with lemon and musk lurking in the background. As it dries, however, the blend turns to musk and powder, not a pleasant combination on my skin. Something about it, however, makes me think of medicinal balm, soothing even as it makes your nose wrinkle. Ah, well.

In the bottle: Deep, husky lemon.

On my skin: This turns very curiously into a wondeful incense-like scent once it hits my skin. I can't quite pick out any single note yet.

Later on: What I'm guessing are the white musk, lemon, and carnation slowly become more discernable. There's also a floral running around which is the honeysuckle. This becomes very spicy as the lemon peters out and the carnation takes its place.

Pretty! Euterpe is a sweet but slightly tart, fresh, pale floral at first, which must be the honeysuckle/carnation/lemon, but I can't tell, it's very blended together. It's a little effervescent-smelling, which may be the white musk? It doesn't smell anchored by anything heavier on me, just these sparkling top notes.

This feels airy and light to me, like the notes want to float away – right on for the muse of music.

ETA: just realized how similar my review is to yeahbutnobut's -- so, yeah, what she said!

Edited by isyche

at first: mostly lemon and honeysuckle. i don't think i like the combination.

on: sweet honeysuckle, lemon, and other flowers. very pretty.

half an hour later: definitely lemon and musk, plus a flower i think is the white poppy. i'm not sure i like the floral note in this.

1.5 hours later: i think that the carnation is too musty on me.

2 hours later: still musty.

overall: this just didn't work on me.

Euterpe reminds me very much of my beloved Katharina -- creamy, effervescent white musk under a fruity/floral combination. The honeysuckle is most prominent on my skin, with a bare hint of lemon and other florals. Very light, sweet and cheerful.

This is just calm and slightly spicy musk. I can't really identify any of the notes, but knowing that there is white musk in here, that is readily the most identifiable. It's unobtrusive and soothing, but it also seems to be fading pretty quickly.

euterpe.jpg

This is something I would generally shy away from, since past experiences with iris have always ended with someone in tears and someone else not speaking to me for months at a time.

Anyway. I got an imp of this in a swap, and as I sniffed the little dipper wand, a bit got on my nose. And it smelled nice and non-offensive and vaguely coconutty, so I bravely decided to try wearing this today.

Putting it on, there's the IRIS. It is very floral-perfumey-loud, yet somehow, it's softer and less grating than I have come to expect with iris blends.

Wearing/drydown: the iris softens, the white musk and other floral notes make for a delicate, slightly creamy, sweet, pretty combination. Color me surprised. I actually LIKE this! I usually canNOT wear anything with iris, but now I feel like I should try other things out again. Maybe it's just growing on me, like vetiver did.

Now I just have to conquer aquatic notes, and I WILL RULE THE WORLD!

In review, this is nice! Even if you're not a big fan of iris, you might be surprised with this one!

In the bottle – lemon.

On wet – carnation and lemon! Sweet lemon curd, not tart.

Drydown – the predominant notes on me are lemon and carnation. The musk and other notes soften it and keeps it from being sharp or tangy.

Throw is not too long, and it has pretty good staying power, which isn’t usually the case with me and lemon. It’s a fresh spring citrus scent with a lovely creamy sweetness

straight sniff from the imp is carnation and lemon .... in that order....

once applied the honeysuckle takes forefront with this blend and then it

softens up......the carnation and lemon are beautifully balanced.....

such a shame this one does not last long at all on me......

This was a frimp from the Lab -- the honeysuckle and carnation made this sickly sweet/sour combo for me. Honeysuckle and I do not get along. I'm sure there was a hint of iris, but the honeysuckle... Thankfully, my friend liked it!

In the imp: Smells very pink, must be the carnation.

Wet on me: Turned pale and light musky floral.

Drydown: Creamy and silky with a slight dark edge kinda floral. I do not get any lemon at all and my skin amps lemon, wierd huh. :P

Verdict: And later on Euterpe turned to a powdery smell. Lovely and ladylike powder but powder just the same.

I bought an imp of Euterpe because I have a strange weakness (obsession?) for violet/iris scents. It didn't hurt that Euterpe contains carnation and poppy, two other florals that I love. Unfortunately, there's usually one note in violet/iris BPALs that simply does not work on me, and Euterpe was no exception. This time, I didn't reckon with the honeysuckle, which took over and turned Euterpe into a cloyingly sweet scent. I did get a whiff of iris on the drydown, but it wasn't enough to make me want to go through the honeysuckle dominatrix phase.

I’ve tried Euterpe about ten times since I got it back in January and from the first time to the tenth, I’m craving Butter Chicken. Why? Because it smells like Butter Chicken. The man thinks I’m mad, all he smells is a nice floral. And to be truthful - and grateful - there are no chicken, garlic or onion notes, but overall, Euterpe smells like that beautifully rich and fragrant BC sauce. There are all sorts of recipes for this tasty dish, but the one I’m smelling, is like the ones I’ve eaten: tangy tomato, cream and/or yoghurt, butter, lemon juice, spices, like garam masala, ground ginger and maybe some others.

Completely bizarre. Even more bizarre, is that I kinda like it! It might not be one I’ll wear often, as it’s quite strong and can make me a lil’ sneezy. But I like that zing. The floral aroma is different from others I’ve sniffed. The combination of carnation, white poppy, honeysuckle and iris, creates an unusual tanginess which I think, mixed with the zesty lemon creates that BC. As it starts to soften, it smells a little less like BC and more like the creamy, zippy yoghurt drink, lassi, or if I can move myself away from the food theme, a creamy, piquant floral with a lovely musky background, which is a stronger smelling white musk than I’ve smelt before.

My new love of carnation, the Spring blooms, and white musk drew me here. I was leery of the lemon, but it turns out it is just perfect in this blend: fresh and clean and inviting for the warm Spring and Summer mornings. It dries out to a sweet, creamy, but still haughty musk. :P I love it. She is Fae's gifted sister, and she will not be leaving my imp box!

This one worried me. I could smell lemon from the imp, but I tried it on anyway, hoping my love for carnation, iris, and honeysuckle would outweigh it, but...no such luck. Euterpe immediately turns into an overpowering lemon dishsoap on me. I couldn't wear it for very long because the lemon was just too strong, and I ended up washing it off after half an hour. So far, no luck with lemon blends on my skin. Not a keeper.