Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
olympia301

Euterpe

The Giver of Pleasure, Euterpe is the Muse of Music and Lyric Poetry. She is Delight, and her name means “Rejoicing Well”. She is credited with inventing the aulos, and is most often depicted playing that double-flute. Her scent is the joy of performing, the euphoria in song, and the passion inspired by all music: carnation and white poppy, honeysuckle, lemon, iris and white musk.

I really like this one. Maybe it's because my imp has been aging for a while and this one ages well, but I find it feminine, spicy and sensual.
The carnation reminds me of a feminine Morocco, the powdery note reminds me of Antique Lace, and there's even a casual glance at that sexy note in Perversion that always reminds me of vintage 1960s dark musk (mostly in the first half hour). If you like those three scents a lot, you might enjoy Euterpe.

Small disclaimer because I know people are checking out the soon-to-be-discontinued reviews. My Euterpe imp is almost 2 years old. Many of the previous reviews sound like a completely different scent to me. (Cold? mint? soapy? Huh?) I can't promise you'll get Morocco-Antique Lace-Perversion too, but I've tried my imp twice & that's what I get - honest. :P Edited by Shollin

In the imp: strongly carnation and iris. Hint of musk.

On the wrist: oh, this is musky, but in a beautiful way, and I don’t say that often.

20 minutes: faded into a floral musk. Very pretty, but I don’t think enough to justify a bottle, even with it being discontinued. 8/10, but just not right for me.

In Bottle: Lemony flowers. Wet: The musk comes out on my skin as musks tend to do. This actually works remarkably well on me for a floral. My skin loves the carnation/musk combo, and for once the lemon isn’t painfully amped by my skin. This is that rare surprise, a floral I like on me. Dry: fades to musk with a spicey carnation overtone. Very cool.

When I first put Euterpe on, I got a woodsy note. Five minutes later, it's completely honeysuckle. Really, really strong honeysuckle.

After an hour, I can't tell which floral is the most pronounced. It's just a heavy, powdery floral. It's so heavy that it makes me want to sneeze.

Another hour passes and Euterpe becomes much more enjoyable. I get poppy and iris with a dash of lemon. The floral notes are deepened by the musk, but it never overpowers them. (This is extremely weird considering my chemistry and musk.)

In the end, Euterpe is pleasant enough. I don't feel much for it. It's floral and doesn't really stand out from other floral perfumes. I can see why this has been discontinued.

In the bottle: Golden oil. Bright citrusy floral. Lemon, carnation, and iris with a bit of musk. It's the same iris note from Black Pearl. The carnation is very creamy and soft, the lemon juicy.

Wet: Lemon, iris, white musk. This is really a lemony, coconutless Black Pearl. It's a lovely true lemon note. Iris is a tad powdery, sort of velvety. Less carnation, sadly. I don't get any honeysuckle.

Dry: Much of the lemon has dissipated, and more of the white musk has emerged. It's pretty much white musk/iris at this point. Very simple, but also very elegant and feminine.

Later: Um...it smells oddly like Comet? Yeah, that cleaning powder you sprinkle for scrubby bathtub. Not bad, but strange! I presume it's the iris going more powdery.

Summary: Clean, powdery iris with a bit of juicy lemon, rich white musk, and some creamy carnation very faintly in the distance. Feminine and lovely. Dismal throw and longevity, though.

Edited by fairnymph

This is a dark floral on me, very thick and cloying. I think it must be some kind of musk making my nose wrinkle, because the floral notes are usually ones that I find pleasing. It is of course a beautiful scent, just not on my skin. I may try it in a scent locket to see if that works for me.

In the imp: Lemon, carnation, honeysuckle

Wet: light musk, almost peppery poppy

Dry: Light dry blended floral

Verdict: White musk and I get along well! I love the creamy texture from it after it's on for 30 minutes. The florals are still dry, but they float in the white musk. Each of the notes has "equal time" in this scent. Very feminine and subtle. Although this is a discontinued scent, it remains a treasure in my imp box.

In the imp: tart lemon and heady sweet honeysuckle

On the skin: The lemon is more subdued. Iris and poppy give it a fresh floral feel. The musk makes for a soft gentle base.

Drydown: Gentle creamy floral, mostly poppy, iris and just a touch of honeysuckle.

Much later: My beloved carnation finally makes an appearance but it is just a whisper.

in the imp: Whoa! Sharp, sort of a peppered floral? This went immediately to the back of my head and went stabbity stabbity there.

wet: thick, heavy floral -- sort of like this old, old bottle of perfume we found in grandma's closet when I was little.

dry down: Huh. Musk, for sure, and that peppery note (is that carnation? what is that?) Sort of a little old lady who has been making out with a little old man smell. There is a creaminess in this scent that is just to die for, but I can't get beyond that stabbity pepper thing at the start. I want to love this. I want want want to love this.

This is going to be a swap only, at any rate. There is so much in here to love, but that initial note just kills my sinuses.

Edited by theal8r

In bottle/imp: Warm flowers mixed with floral notes with a bit of a sharp edge and lemon.

Immediately on skin: This has a smooth floral feel with a sharp bite of white musk and a hint of lemon. The poppy is poking its head in as well. The carnation, lemon, and musk are also very identifiable and overall this is a subtly sweet citrus floral blend.

After a few minutes: This has morphed into a cooler carnation scent. The spiciness of the carnation matches nicely with the chilly white musk and a hint of lemon. The other flowers are there too and blend in beautifully. It’s just slightly sweet and is almost perfume-y, but not quite.

Overall Impressions: The matching of the carnation, poppy, lemon, and white musk is just beautiful. It’s basically a cool, crisp carnation scent. It’s feminine, but not overly so, and would be a great springtime fragrance.

This is well-blended--all those notes and I'm just thinking "mmm, fruity floral". Nothing really jumps out at me but the effect is lovely. Sweet, musky, girly. Too bad this one is discontinued!

Wet: Super sharp commercial perfume. Eep.

First on: Still commercial perfume.

Dry: Never changed, and now I'm off to scrub it off.

Starts with a pretty powder. This is a lovely floral, but with a dryness to it.

Very sensual and confident scent. A great deal of musk in this one and I wouldn't have guessed white musk - I would have gone with black or red musk, it's stronger than I've ever gotten with white musk :) A "fuzzy" scent. Rich and almost masculine. I usually like poppy, so that doesn't hurt either. Short throw and duration.

Honeysuckle, carnation and iris are the dominant notes - in that order. This scent is so familiar, I can't put my finger on what it reminds me of. Maybe something LUSH?

Either way, I love it. It's a bright, sweet scent that I'd slather with abandon if it wasn't discontinued. For now, I'll treasure my imp.

She's Polyhymnia's less stuck-up sister (in scent form, at least), and the symbol of why I got out of academia and back into music, so I'm sort of supposed to like her, but it helps that this blend is absolutely GORGEOUS.

Euterpe is a beautiful, light lemony floral with just enough of that opium poppy to anchor it and make it sensuous. Love the carnation (there but not too sneezy) and the iris (which gives it body). The lemon note is very subtle and blends seamlessly with the honeysuckle, so it's not screaming washing-up liquid or fruity floral at me....just a lovely, light spring breeze with a song on it.

It does take a whole bunch of it to show up on my skin, but that's OK.

Love it! The boy loves it on me, too.

Edited by LadyMedb

In the Imp (ITI):It's a very light powdery floral, which I assume is the carnation. On second sniff, I can detect the musk as well as the lemon and just a hint of honeysuckle.

Wet: Musk poppy, carnation, sweet honeysuckle, tangy lemon, and just a hint of the cool floral scent of iris. It' s such a soft, pretty floral that I'm starting to think it is a pity that this scent was discontinued.

Dry:After several hours, the scent is sweet and powdery floral (carnation and honeysuckle). I can't smell the other notes, but I do like this.

I'm starting to think that any note that has "white" in front of it is going to turn sour and bad on me, as Euterpe quickly turns into something cold, musky, and sour. In fact, it turns exactly into Touched Twice on my skin, and not in a good way. White musk is definitely a death note as I'm sure it's the main culprit.

A gentle floral is what I get out of this too. Actually I also get coconut :eek: which isn't even listed, I guess it must be the poppy playing tricks on my nose. Strangely enough the carnation never shows up.

I like it a lot *sigh* another discontinued blend to hunt down.

Nice and floral on me, but not oversweet. Subtle enough to go unnoticed unless I really concentrate on it and the poppy and iris are a nice touch. My imp of this will be more than enough, but I quite like Euterpe.

I get mainly iris and white musk out of my now very well aged imp of Euterpe. Of all the notes here, those were the two I was least excited about. My skin also eats this up fairly rapidly, so I will be swapping Euterpe away.