Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Dulci

Baron Samedi

A notorious voodoo priest, who eventually rose to become one of the funereal Guédés, alongside Baron Cimitère and Baron La Croix. He is a Guardian of the Crossroads: the pathways between our world and the realm of the spirits. As a Master of the Graveyard, he ensures that burial rites are performed with skill, and he helps ferry souls to the dark realm. In his honor, we have created this scent: our spin on traditional Bay Rum.

The moment I put this on it was a pirate's life for me. I was smothered in this booz scent and could only think of Jack Sparrow!

Probably meant for the male, but on me it felt sexy and not liquored up!

Bottle, wet, dry: spiced sweet rum

Oooh, I really like Baron Samedi.

At first it's heavy on the almonds, which I love. There is some spice and bay rum in the background, that comes forward as the almond fades, which happends pretty quickly, within the first hour. Can't usually get almond to last on me but that's okay. For a while, this has clove and spices similar to Port au Prince, with the almond sort of lingering, and the bay rum starting to come forward more strongly. I kind of wish the almonds didn't fade so fast, but it's okay because I like the direction it takes.

Bay rum is a funny thing....there have been other Bpal's that didn't work for me that reminded me of bay rum. Voodoo comes to mind, the final dry stage of it is like a strong bay rum that on my skin turns into cheap men's after-shave. I'm starting to think Schwarzer Mond does the same thing (sad, I know...). Baron Samedi, though, has a sweetness that stays around and joins hands with the bay rum, smoothing out that edge that those other blends have. This is a drawn out way of saying Baron Samedi works on me, in a way that other blends come close to but end up being too......dry, or something. I'm going to keep wearing B.S. from the imp and it may even be a 5ml candidate. It really does smell like something traditional with a twist.

In the bottle, this is a sweet (almost overly sweet) almond scent.

Once it’s on, it mellows out and there’s a lovely bit of spice here: very clovey, and just a hint of booze. At first I was a bit confused, until I realized that the description is probably referring to Bay Rum as the early 20th century cologne, not the beverage. :P Silly me not to realize that from the get-go.

This is a very strong scent, and I can definitely see it being a generally masculine scent as well. Although I’m inclined to keep wearing it, because it’s the only almond scent I’ve tried so far that doesn’t go to powder or burn me (for some reason, Beth loves to pair almond with cinnamon, which gives me hives!), and the sweetness of the almond works so well with the spicy overtones!

Baron Samedi-

In Bottle: Almond, and something like rum, yeah.

Wet: Very medicinal, like benzoin. I wanna watch this dry-down.

Dry: I can see why men wear this; there's a lot of nice stuff here with that little touch of musk and sweetness but it's just a little too medicinal on me.

Overall: Not for me.

Baron Samedi is a very spicy almond scent on my skin. Almond, clove and what my nose says is a hint of cherry. I am really enjoying this scent, it is warm and enveloping, perfect for fall and winter. I don't feel that this is "masculine" per say, but a guy would abviously do this fragrance justice.

This is indeed a bit piratey, but mostly because Jolly Roger has rum in it too (and Grog) and I am just associating rum with pirate. But hey, who doesn't?

Thankfully, and unlike Queen of Sheba, this lasts more than 10 minutes on my skin, and gets a bit 'creamier' on the drydown.

A great scent, and one that is definitely going on my bottle wishlist.

I get rum, but I also get "corn." Definitely something dark and earthy here - this sort of reminds me of Graveyard Dirt. I get some clove, too, but the combination here is...strange. Not really working for me.

Edited by supremegoddessofall

In the imp: Spicy dirty rum.

On me: Ass. Sweaty ass. :P

I wish there were a more detailed description of notes on this blend, because something in it HATES me, and I don't know what it is.

Wow. I've had very few "Omg, I have to wash this off immediately" reactions to BPAL, but this was one of them. Ewww.

In the bottle: Urgh, ew. Herbal booze, with almonds.

Wet: It becomes more boozy, and now smells of burnt sugar.

Drydown: Smoky, burnt play-doh. After a while, that scent lifts, and I get something a bit like sea air and herbs. The almond seems to come back, a bit, adding some sweetness.

Overall: This started out very bad and although it improved on the way, it's nothing I'd ever wear. I'm sure a man could pull it off, or someone that doesn't make rum smell like burnt sugar. On me, it's mostly plastic and play-doh.

In vial: whoa. wood! is there cedar in this? Smoke, tons of smoke.

On skin: This is bonfire smoke and salt. The smoke's quickly becoming overpowering. might have to wash this off.

drydown: smoke's backed off slightly, but it's still overwhelming everything else. There are other more interesting notes trying to come out. I hope they do!

later: the interesting notes have disappeared, and this is pure wood and smoke. It doesn't work on me at all.

Baron Samedi is a new GC love. It reminds me of a spicier, smokier version of Bastet. After the almond sweetness fades into the background, the Baron becomes a clove/cinnamon/nutmeg spice bonfire. No bones about it - this is goood. Vetiver lovers will be pleased.

Edited by themerrybaker

On the boy, this is (to me) "Ew almonds" at first. Well, it smells lovely and warm and nutty, except almond scents/flavors make me nauseous. Luckily, after a bit of drydown time the almond disappears and it's gorgeous Bay Rum, which is just what I was hoping for :P It's the one he's been wearing most often lately.

In the vial:

Very sweet almonds

On me:

Oooh, yeah that's some sweet almond oil there. I really LOVE almond oil so I quite like this so far, though I wasn't expecting it!

I am getting cloves also, which add a little spice and depth. There is a sort of woody and herbal quality to the background which I am assuming is the Bay Rum. It all comes together nicely and in the end doesnt smell too sweet or too much like almonds (for those that don't care for almond). It's slightly spiced, slightly woody, and a bit boozey and warm.

Final note:

I like it - it makes me think of Three Witches crossed with Black Phoenix only a bit more masculine. I don't think I'd have a use for a whole bottle but I will hang on to my imp :P

It smelled boozy to me at first, but then it changed to a spicy smoke. It still has a rum undertone, but there's a lot more smoke in this than what I expected.

I like the scent, but this is more like the kind of thing my husband would wear. He likes scents like this more than I do.

at first all i smell is almond. when this dries i get bay rum and clove, very nice- crisp yet warm. i usually don't like bay rum, but this is the best bay rum i've ever smelled! i'm not sure i would wear this much, but it's nice.

Weird. This does not smell like bay rum on me at all. After the initial crazy rush of almond, it dries down to spiced cedar.

Cedar always smells like pencils on me. So, I smell like spicy pencils.

How bizarre that this is supposed to smell like Bay Rum. To me, it's spiced Coca-Cola. :P That sounds kind of gross, but it's actually quite lovely, and I think it would be great on a man also. I will need a bottle of this.

This is rum? Seriously? oO;

It doesn't smell boozy at all to me. In the bottle it smells a bit like barn hay to be quite honest, but once on my skin it turns into this sharper, sweeter, citrus-y scent. It smells almost like Tang, but more complex and more sophisticated, if that makes sense. It smells nice in all its phases, but if I hadn't looked it up I would have never guessed it was based on an alcoholic drink.

In the vial: fresh cut grass. No one else got this?

Wet: Almond. Sharp almond grass.

Dry down: Cinnamon, cinnamon, nothing but cinnamon.

:P

In the imp: Musk? Not rum. Also - ALMONDS. Agh.

On, wet: Some musk and a bit of powder underneath something strong and kind of boozy, but it doesn't smell like rum to me.

Drying: Spicy, with a little bit of a powdery smell underneath. It smells like a warm spiced cider spiked with rum you'd drink at a holiday party. But the powdery part of it is throwing me off.

Dry: Mulling spices for warm cider. Yum.

Final verdict: When I first sniffed it when I got the imp (about a week ago), I hated the smell of it - almonds just don't appeal to me. But trying it now, it makes me feel warm and cozy and like it's Halloween. I'll definitely use my imp up, and I want to see how it smells on the bf - and who cares if it's a guys scent? I'll wear it anyway, lol.

ETA: And a few minutes later the powder is back. :P Now I smell like a nice autumn potpurri. I'll still wear it in the fall, but I'll be smelling like potpurri.

Edited by captainoats

the other day at work, i forgot i had applied this, and i kept saying, “what smells so good?” it was me! :P it’s extremely long-lasting, with great throw. warm spiced bay rum with hints of vanilla and almond. smells sexy on my husband but i’m definitely wearing it too. we need a bottle to share, asap!

On me, Baron Samedi's mostly rum, but I also got whiffs of earth, caramel, and nuts while it was still wet. I think Capt. Jack Sparrow would definitely approve of this one, but it's not for me.

In the bottle:

Almonds, with a heavy dirty aftersmell.

Wet on skin:

Sweet almonds, cloves, hint of dirt

Dries down to:

Cloves with a hint of dirt.

Not really my kind of thing but quite sexy in its way. Perhaps for a man in a warm climate?

Drydown of Baron Samedi was icky. Too rum-y and harsh. I didn't like it at all, just like I didn't like it in the imp. However, once dry a smoky citrus combined with the almond note of rum. It reminds me of this russian tea candle I had.

After two hours, the Baron becomes more citrus-y resin and less smoke. The almond fades to the background and is almost nonexistent. I know this perfume is intended for men, but it did very well on me!

My overall impression is that I'm surprised by Baron Samedi. My first thought of the Baron was not flattering. My opinion now is completely different. I think I'm going to do some experiments with this perfume since it's such a good base.

In the imp: Almonds. And something sweet. Marzipan.

On the wrist: Evil marzipan! Strange.

Drydown: Ok, now it's gone all chemical fire on me, like Djinn did. That's odd.

Overall: Something in this goes very funky on me and turns into something approximating a tire fire. Not cool. :P Swapped.

In the imp: Booze and almonds.

Wet/Drydown: Incredibly similar to how it smells in the imp, though the booze aspect is kicking it up a notch. Still, it’s not 100% pure booze – there’s almond in this, as well as possibly a hint of clove or nutmeg. It smells like I’m cooking some kind of pastry with a lot of rum poured in. Huh – now this is strange; I swear there’s an edge of vetiver in this blend, turning this from just boozy pastry to EVIL boozy pastry.

Dry: The vetiver amps, which I’m not a fan of. This is like the dirty, evil twin of Port-au-Prince.