Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Dulci

Baron Samedi

A notorious voodoo priest, who eventually rose to become one of the funereal Guédés, alongside Baron Cimitère and Baron La Croix. He is a Guardian of the Crossroads: the pathways between our world and the realm of the spirits. As a Master of the Graveyard, he ensures that burial rites are performed with skill, and he helps ferry souls to the dark realm. In his honor, we have created this scent: our spin on traditional Bay Rum.

Not my favorite rum scent from the lab. This one smells like booze and alcohol in a bad, dirty way that reminds me of too many late Saturday nights and Sunday hangovers.

Edited by delighted

Frimp from the Lab!

Wet: Dark smoky/sour rum. Wow. That is heavy and sinister. Not the Lab's rum note that I love. It smells like the liquid smoke I cook with occasionally. Like wood chips smoldering. I may have to scrub it off.

Dry: I let it dry for a few mins only, and it was still all acrid smoke. Had to wash it off, it was very unpleasant on me. Not for my tastes or skin chemistry! Glad to have gotten to try it though.

I got this as a frimp, but even sniffing it from the imp, it's almond and rum, and all the things I can't stand. I know some scents round out, but if I can't even stand the imp smell, I don't bother. Grog was better than this for me as it didn't have my death note - almond.

Okay finally got around to testing my imps. I have one frimp from the lab a couple months ago and the other is an older imp I got from a FB order.

The fresher imp:

Wet: omg who started the bbq... ug, but that quickly calms down to a somewhat decent smoke

Dry: smoky spice rather interesting

The older imp:

same with a lot less smoke and no bbq.

Ug was just testing the newer one, but when I got that bbq note had to see if it ages out which either it does or there is some major batch veration between my two imps. I actually kinda like both of them once that BBQ note tones down. It will be getting added to my boy mood perfumes as I don't see girl in this at all. :D

Eeeeugh. Almonds. Nuuuuu. D:

It kinda smells like those little almond cakes with a smoke-y/insence-y feel to it. If that's your thing, you're gonna love this!

This was a frimp from the lab!

As others have noted, it is smoke and rum. At first it smells like a dive bar at the end of a long weekend. Later it settles down into a sort of spicy dirty rum scent. Not terrible but still a bit too peppery for my tastes. I will ask the joopman to give it a try, but I don't think this one is a keeper for me.

Imp: cherry almond cough syrup, with undertones of salt and bay leaf

Wet: my skin eats this. I have to sniff so close to my wrist to find it. Clove, honey, and vanilla; it smells a lot like chai tea! Much better than anything else I've tried with bay in it.

Dry: soft vanilla cloves, like the memory of chai in an empty tea cup, and curiously, bubblegum.

It's lifespan is about 4 hours, with strong-ish tending quickly to very soft throw. Surprisingly good and definitely better than I was expecting from the description!

Stars: ★★★★

I get: Dirt, Rum, Woods (Cedar or something similar) and smoke (vetiver I think)

This will be lovely to wear in the fall, especially around Halloween!

My skin is slightly sensitive to something in this, so I won't be putting it inside my elbows or reaching for the imp too often, but especially given that I have zero interest in pumpkin scents, I think this would be a lovely, rich, spicy scent to wear for the holidays.

The imp was in my jeans pocket for an hour or so before I applied it, so the oil was already warmed to close to body temperature when I opened it and put it on.

Wet/in imp - a hint of leather and a blast of fruity sweetness that borders on cloying

Freshly applied - a hint of spicy Christmas-candle bay leaves, a touch of leather, and a blast of fruity rum. As it dries on my skin, the cloying fruitiness fades and the spicy bay berries/leaves comes forward. This is nice - Christmas-y without smelling like evergreens or holiday baking.

Five minutes in - Manly Christmas candle, but in a good way.

Ten minutes in - Manly Christmas candle keeps on Christmas-ing. The skin on the inside of my wrist/forearm where I applied it is starting to feel slightly warm/tingly, but I'm not sure if that's actually a reaction to Baron Samedi itself, or a sympathetic/psychosomatic reaction to the "wtf did I secretly put on icyhot?" oakmoss reaction going on on my other arm (testing Robin Goodfellow on that one).

Thirty minutes in - The tingly feeling has gone away, but the manly bay leaves-plus-hint-of-leather/rum non-foodie masculine Christmas candle scent continues. This would probably be much better on a guy, but it's not bad on me. I don't need a bottle, but I'll definitely keep the imp.

Dark smoky, rum, smoldering wood, and something dark and harshly green. Gets more leathery as it dries.

Holy crap, this reminds me of New Orleans in a bottle. I mean that in the BEST way.

It starts out all almondy, pure almonds. Them it morphs into a lovely spicy, boozy tobacco scent that is wonderful and cozy, just like some of the little shops there.

Man, I want to visit again, and hide myself away in some of those boutiques. But until then I feel like Baron Samedi has captured a wee bit of that scent memory, and magic. I think I'm gonna smear this all over my ol'man when I want a comfy, cozy, snuggly scent, full of hidden secrets.

Cherry coke and cigarettes is exactly it! It’s warm and slightly sweet smelling, but by no means foodie. The tobacco is ages, like a man who’s been smoking his whole life and never really washes the scent all out. I like it! Unisex, warm, woody, slightly oriental.

ETA 1/24/18: Warm and unusual. Such a strange scent, in the best way. It's sweet and smoky. I still like it.

Where I'd wear it: New Orleans, hot summer bar hopping.

In the imp: Spiced almonds!

Wet: Boozy, spiced almond. But not spiced in a cinnamon-y way. I think it must be the bay.

Dry: Almond, clove, and bay. There's a lot of clove present during this phase of the scent, and I am getting a bit of smoky rum in the background.

After a while, the bay overtakes the clove.

Verdict: I like the clove in this scent! But there are other scents with clove in them that I'd probably reach for before this, so I'm not sure I need to hold on to the imp.

In the imp and on my skin, I find this scent unsettlling because to me, it smells like I imagine crematorium smoke would smell like. (and yes, there is almond, but that doesnt make anything better here).

Although I am happy it doesnt reach a real burnt people KZ kind of smell, and even though I do like rum ("Grog" is amazing),

it has a "dead something" note on my skin - and I dont like it.

I will let this be an imp in the box and may revisit it later, as in my experience, many scents I initially dislike, are better after a year.

Edited by zazkea

I dont know why today my brain is making mainly food and drink correlations with scents, but this smells like sweet and spicy pretzels, the kind in a chex mix bag on long road trips. I dont get rum, or alcohol or anything else in the slightest, but weird pretzels.

Interesting, perhaps I will revisit this again and see how I feel about it.

Work at home day is also "sample imps I've forgotten about day!"

I've had this imp (frimp)...at least a year I guess. Immediately out of the imp and on my wrist, straight up almond extract. Within minutes the almond to the background and I get boozy sweet spice. It's warm and as a reviewer above said, reminds me of chai tea but with rum added to it. 

I'm enjoying this, but it seems to fade fast, and I'm not sure I need a bottle. 

Less than half hour later edit: my husband just said I smell like Ivory soap 😂🤷‍♀️

Edited by melandie

In the imp: dusty, grey-ish...much to my liking

On wrist: still dusty but also smokey and something a little darker, maybe leather.

I am surprised to read this is a bay rum scent, and that so many people smell almonds. I smell smoldering wood chips, a grey sneezy dustiness, and something a little more grounding. Very nice.

Next day: Wow. This scent just kept on getting slightly better and staying around. Today is the next day and I can STILL smell it on my wrists. Strongest oil I have encountered up to now. Very impressive.

Edited by Niniel0205

I have no idea why I've never tried this before, or maybe I had, but the menopause goddess decided to give me a tiny win.
Wet there is a medicinal tinge to the scent; dry however it's rum, teak and/or cedar lending a grey note, spice, and the sweetness of almonds.
It's masculine, yet soft.
I will be adding a bottle to my grey stash, it's a spicy grey.

In the Imp: Started out as cherry cough medicine for kids :think:

On Me: Okay so I've never had rum so I can't compare this to that. And I'm not sure if my skin chemistry is messing with the notes or something. Because it really did start off smelling like cherry cough syrup and I was half tempted to wash this off and mark it as a Death Note (I like cherries, but not in medicine). But I gave it a few minutes as I was doing things around the house and now it smells like those hard candies you find at your grandma's house, the cinnamon ones in the red wrapper. So if you can picture those candies mixed with cherry Coke, cloves, and smoke, that is pretty much how this smells to me.

I was frimped this with an order on the forum, and I'm glad this was given to me because I enjoy it. It did take some time for the cherry scent to die down and for the other notes to come into play, and that might be a dealbreaker for some people. 

Another I could have sworn I've reviewed. I've tried, I know, but not written down my thoughts. 

In the imp: Almond extract, the kind made with real alcohol. 

On my skin:

Wet, still almond extract. As it dries, the almond extract fades entirely, and I'm left with very bay bay rum. That is, rum spices are present, but bay is really at the forefront of the scent right now. The more it sits, though, the more the rest of the spices become predominant. I like this spicy rum stage, though I don't know how unique it would be in my collection at this point. 

Ultimately, I think that this is where the baron ends up on me. I love these spices, but I do have them in other scent blends. And the fact that Baron Samedi does not contain a markedly sweetening note on me (not that I think it should, to be a good interpretation of the namesake) means that in terms of general wearability, this is probably not my choice-est scent. 

Received as an imp. I was surprised to see this was Bay Rum, a note I'm not keen on, because I don't pick that up at first. I smell almond & warmth, but as it dries I get the spiced bay rum note more. I'd buy a bottle.

Wet out of the imp of unknown age I get cherries, almond, leather, maybe some spices... interesting.

On my skin the spices come forward more, spices of the woodier variety, with some definite smokiness. Amongst the aromatic burning woods there may be tobacco. The sweetness is very nearly gone,

A Caribbean nighttime bonfire. How fun!