Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Em-

Thaleia

... A vivacious, dazzling, merry scent: honey, ylang ylang, apricot, ciste, blood orange and gardenia with earthy, warm tonka.

The lab is killing me with all these honey/ylang ylang blends I've been trying recently! Thaleia is girly and light, with the honey, ylang ylang, and apricot taking center stage for me. Something about it reminds me of a good salon. It's that sort of clean, happy, relaxing scent. I'm not sure it screams "Comedy!" to me, but it's definitely cheerful and bright. I think I'll be keeping this imp.

It is orange, orange, orange at first blush. Orange lovers will appreciate this, but it isn't what I want to smell like. Then a creaminess emerges under the orange, and it really does give the effect of a creamsicle, a very sophisticated creamsicle. The drydown is somehow very reminscent of Aglaea, kind of a sweet, fruity muskiness, which must be the honey and the tonka, though it does not register as honey to my nose. I don't get any ylang ylang, and it is good to know I can wear some scents with ylang ylang and not hate them. I will enjoy my imp at the very least.

Imp: A medium weight fruity floral. I can definitely pick out the orange and apricot, but I suck at identifying florals, so I won’t try. :P

Wet: Orange still there, but much less prominent than in the imp. Instead I’m getting something almost buttery from this. Buttery oranges and florals. The florals are a bit more perfumey than I’d like. We'll see how the dry down is….

Dry: The perfumey florals mellow, and the buttery apricot grows. In the early drydown, this has a bit of gritty-ness to it, though I don't know what that is. In the later dry down (1+ hrs), the grittiness gives way to rich smooth tonka, with faint golden apricot. I can also smell a honeyed sweetness once the florals have mellowed later in the wear.

Overall: By the end, this is mostly tonka kissed with summertime apricots and honey. Despite the summery fruity sweetness, this really seems a fall appropriate blend, probably due to the rich darkness of the tonka. It's warm and beautiful. Lasted 5ish hours. I'm torn, and can't decide whether to keep this or not. I think I'll hold onto it for a bit longer.

I'm getting pure apricot. There's a little bit of orange in it, but like any of the other bpal blends with apricot, the apricot is SCREAMING on my skin

Rating (on skin): 1/5

Summarised in a word or two: Mi-Go + Lipstick

Preconceived notions: On my skin? I'm guessing a yicky mess of ylang ylang and apricot, since those notes both hate me.

In the imp: Ylang, apricot, gardenia and blood orange. I'm hoping the latter two save the scent!

On skin, wet: ...Huh. I shouldn't like this -- ylang! apricot! -- but I... do. It's sugary, but a little spicy as well (almost gingery, to be specific). Fruity, but not OMGFRUIT! a la Mi-Go. Unfortunately, even in the wet stage, the ylang gets stronger.

On skin, dry: Ylang ylang and apricot. Now it does sort of smell like a muted Mi-Go with ylang ylang. I'm not digging it. It's too fruity and plastic on my skin.

Conclusion: I'm sure this is fabulous on other people, but on my skin, it's Mi-Go smeared over lipstick (that wet-chalk, almost plastic smell lipstick has? That's what Ylang ylang becomes on me).

Bottle: sweet, almost candy-sweet. fruit and floral, cloying.

Wet: apricot, gardenia, and something I'm not quite identifying yet. syrupy. by ciste do they mean rockrose - I'm confused.

Dry: the fruit is still dominant, the floral notes harder to catch behind that sweetness, and none of the ylang-ylang or tonka. I am identifying honey in that sweetness, and that usually goes all funky on me so we'll see.

Later: the floral has faded and it's mainly a disappearing apricot and orange with a hint of something else...the ylang ylang, maybe.

When I put this on, I was thinking Thaleia was the muse of dancing and I kept thinking, but this makes me think of laughter, not dancing. So I guess that tells you how apt this scent is to its purpose!

Lovely, lovely apricots and cream. I like this very much. :P

Initially I smell honey and blood orange. This is a really interesting scent and quite unusual. It’s rather offputting. Normally I find BPAL to be very well blended and I often have a hard time picking out individual notes. Thaleia, on the other hand is a cacophony of notes. There’s something almost herbal in here, dry smelling and arid (I think that’s a combination of the honey and apricot). Wow, there’s apricot there. Maybe that’s what I’m finding offputting, I’m not a fan of apricot scents. As it wears, the scent darkens and deepens at bit. Overall, this is all about honeyed apricots with a lesser amount of honeyed oranges. Personally, I’m glad I got to try this, but this is not a scent for me.

Aside from apricot, this isn't a blend that I can pick notes out of - which is probably just as well, as picking out notes would make me focus on the apricot. This would be bad, as I like apricots nearly as little as I like peaches, which is not at all.

Something in this blend - the ylang ylang? the tonka? - keeps this reined in and warm, rather than letting the apricot get the bit in its teeth and bolt. I didn't expect to like this at all, but it's a surprisingly nice fruit blend, sweet without being too sweet.

Apricot is still pretty low on my fruit scent list, but the other notes bump this scent up quite a bit. I don't know that I'd want a bottle of it, but I'll certainly be using my imp.

I was rather "meh" about Thaleia when I first received it from the lab, about 5 months ago. A few components stood out -- apricot, orange, honey -- but the blend as a whole didn't seem very unified. I came close to swapping the imp on several occasions, but a little voice said that it might age well, and lo and behold, IT DID! I was blown away on my latest wearing -- it was as though all the notes had melded, ripened, and strengthened during their little time in seclusion.

I'm now seriously contemplating a bottle, as aged Thaleia resembles the offspring of Tiger Lily and Cobra Lily, two of my other fav springtime blends. Yummy!

First sniff: Seriously bright, sunny, happy citrus yumminess. Juicy, sweet and intensely yellow.

Wearing: This is one of the most gorgeous bright fruit scents EVER. It’s pure cheerful sunshine after weeks and weeks of overcast winter skies. And living in Central Washington, I know whereof I speak. Verdict: Ohellyeah.

Thaleia (not Thalia) is also one of those scents reminding me of Sacred Whore. Thus she is not a comic laughing spirit, she must be, umm... Or else the Sacred Whore has lots of fun in Babylon.

Anyhow, I was reticent about the honey, but the apricot and gardenia are duking it out - with that treacherous honey, my nemesis, oversweetening them both.

Thaleia is not unpleasant; she is a lot more tolerable than other scents. However, I have a great many choices now, and I fear Thaleia would not be tops among them.

She may need a warm and loving home where people enjoy her laughter more.

In the Imp: Very lightly floral; airy quality. It also seems somewhat lemony.

Wet: It smells like candy! Then the sweet candy stops, and it's Gardenia City.

Dry: This goes dry really quickly and loses a lot of it's sweet power fast. After only 30 minutes or so it's a rather subdued vanilla-honey, sweet apricot-orange, gardenia boquet. Lovely.

Throw: Oh, how I wish the throw was better and lasted longer.

Overall: Beautiful and masterfully blended scent, but lacks staying power on me. Which is so so so sad, as I could see this being a top five scent otherwise.

Thaleia is orange-apricot-honey-gardenia on me. It's a heady, lush blend and seems tropical and summery. I can see the connection to laughter, as it's bubbly and almost giddy. I'm using my imp in my oil burner because I love this best as a room scent. I find it makes me feel cheerful and energized!

Oh, this is lovely. The orange and apricot go together perfectly, the honey and ylang ylang are incredibly sweet in a good (non-foody) way. I wish that nice brown tonka bass-note came out more, and I don't have any too-great love for gardenia, but this is still a very nice blend. Maybe putting on a slightly larger amount would bring out the tonka more -- it's always another victim of "my favourite notes hide on my skin"-syndrome.

Lovely as it is, though, I'm not sure this is a scent for me. It's too pretty and young and fruity-flowery-warm, and me in my ratty tie-dye pants with a knife at my hip and peculiar mannerisms just doesn't do it dramatic justice. I think I may, rather than swapping it, save it for a young acquaintance who's more girly than I ever managed to be and could carry it off admirably.

Thaleia - Of the Muses I've tried so far, Thaleia is the loveliest. She is full of light and vivaciousness. She is the scent of an a lazy afternoon spent lounging in the grass under the fruit trees by a New England pond. The apricot is the predominant note on me, and smells sweet and juicy like fresh-squeezed apricot nectar. The honey subtly blends with the brightness of the ylang ylang and blood orange to create a swirl of sprightliness that livens up the apricot even more, while a soft undercurrant of tonka grounds the scent. It's like being on the ground and in the trees all at once. I am too old to believe in faeries -- but if they do exist, I think they may wear this scent. The throw is good, but not in-your-face. Unfortunately, it doesn't last on my skin for very long at all. I may purchase again in the spring. It's more of a light spring/summer scent and in the winter, I prefer darker, heavier, deeper scents.

Thaleia is heavy on me, unfortunately. Heavy and barbie-doll vanilla. Maybe some honey.

I'll give it another shot on a day that isn't topping 100 degrees, but something in my skin chemistry doesn't seem to like it. And it's such a pity -- I really wanted to love this.

I totally LOVE this scent.

I loved it at all stages. I think we have a keeper!

When it finally dried and settled after a bit over an hour (though I liked everything on the way there) I finally got the honey with some nice blood orange.

MMMMMMM!!!

The other notes never really popped on me except the ylang ylang at the beginning. When I first put the scent on and for about an hour afterwards, it was lots of blood orange (which is great) and ylang ylang.

I will want to wear this one when I am in a good mood and feeling girly.

Wow, this is sweet and fruity! This might be too sweet for me, again. I think I’m not too fond of Beth’s fruity sweet scents.

The honeyed fruit scent is a bit overwhelming for me, I think the tonka added to the ylang ylang and honey makes this way too sweet for me. I do smell the florals in the background, they are not soapy or anything, and they give this scent a grown up feeling. That’s a plus.

I’m keeping the imp though.

At first very fruity, and a dash of honey. Unfortunately my skin amps and morphs gardenia so this ended up smelling rather unpleasant. However, I think this would be a fantastic scent for those that can wear gardenia. It's fruity but on the mature side...playful and sunny.

I liked the way this one begins and ends.

In the vial and wet it has a nicely spicy citrus smell just under the surface with more flowery notes rising to the surface....

...and then it begins to dry.

I could not place exactly what the nasty element was at first, but my friend Paul nailed it. He said I smelled like a cheap candle shop.

For a good long period in the middle of wearing this, I smell as though I took a fat, cheap vanilla candle and rubbed it against my skin as hard as I could.

Bleh.

At first, I smell the sweet honey and have high hopes. Until, that is, the evil gardenia shows up and drowns out any other notes that might possibly be lurking. Sigh.

Thaleia

in imp: sweet honey and orange

wet: starting to smell the apricot, gardenia, and tonka...still very sweet

dry: pure baby powder :P

verdict: not for me...I will probably swap

Especially before it's had a chance to age, this hits me with a blast of gardenia at first that isn't entirely pleasant, but it's worth it for the drydown. It's bright and citrus-honey without being overly sweet or foody, and happily floral without being generic perfume. This is an innocently sensual blend -- the smell of running naked through a field of flowers and citrus trees. So happy. :P