Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

... Her scent is the warm, dry parchment of scrolls, lavender for critical thought and analysis, the solidity of heavy woods, ornery patchouli and glib benzoin, and superstar-splashed orange and amber.

Clio was my surprise "find" of the East Coast Will Call. It goes on crisp & clean smelling...definitely perks you right up. The lavender doesn't jump out & boink you on the head :P like some lavenders do. Iinstead Clio has a calm focusing vibe that I quite enjoy.

The patch isn't overwhelming & blends very well with the amber & orange. Clio in the drydown has an orange/amber feeling to it. Very, very nice.

The parchment did not show up on my skin. :D And I do feel the need to reapply Clio but I like it so much, I really don't mind. This is the only BPAL blend I "slather".

This reminds me of a fizzy drink that I can't quite place. But it also smells like dusty parchment. A strange combination, but not as unpleasant as my description makes it sound. It's actually really nice, but I don't think I'd wear it much.

Initial impression:

At first sniff, I get patchouli with something green in it. Hmm, I wonder what this might bring!

First on:

Wet, it smells exactly like carrots and wet soil - peculiar!

Dry:

After about 10 mins, it's as strange as ”dry orange” - it's a dry scent, powdery, but there's orange in it. Mm, and amber. Soft, warm amber!

20-30 mins after application, it's a really great blend for its theme – dry, sophisticated. And not too bad on the citrus, thank goodness. :P

Finally:

Keeping. :D

Bottle: A bit like really good men's cologne, but with herbs. Scared me off a bit.

Wet: Dry perfume, spicy-incensey and very warm.

Drydown: The oomph of cologne retreats into a very dry scent. Was I worried this was masculine? Naaaah. Clio is a very mature, proud, and wise older female. This oil makes me think of secrets within the pages of books rather than the books themselves. I don't get much of the orange for a long time, and then it's mild.

If you like Ozymandias, you'll like this. The two seem very similar to my nose, though this one is perhaps a bit sweeter.

Will definitely be using this one, especially while I'm studying for school. I think Clio may be in the running for my signature scent.

Edited by starwild

Lavender and patchouli.

There's some citrus as well.

I can't decide whether I like it or not.

Actually I don't like it, but I keep sniffing my wrist.

Weird. I'll have to try it again!

smells like a dusty wooden box filled with drived lavender. sneeze-inducingly dry!

I got this from shackjj! :P

In the bottle: Strong and herby.

Wet on skin: Kind of herby/cologney with a bright tinge of orange. Not bad, not great.

Dry on skin: Where did my orange go? It's all dark and scroll-y now. I clearly amp scrolls . . . :D Get it off! Get it off!

Conclusion: Very disappointed. This could have been so good if only it had developed in another direction.

Edited by pinkpepper

After the two-by-four of lavender between the eyes that is Oneiroi, Clio packs a mere feather-fall. There's some brightening by orange and benzoin, can't really detect any parchment though. Still, I find it very appealing, and am debating buying a bottle before the Muses go offline with the rest. Think, brain, think! Decide, quick! :P

Edited by Angel Slurry

Clio

vial~ warm, slight hint of patchouli and orange. Clio is definitely a thoughtful scent, lavendar is listed as a componenet and I am not picking any up

wet~ wood is coming out now, patchouli is still hiding in the background and the orange is not very prominent on my skin either. The components are just blended together very well.

drying~ the amber is starting to peek out now, melding in with the wood. Clio really comes across as a natural light fragrance.

dry ~ Clio really does give one the idea of parchment scrolls. The fragrance is dry woody, lightly scented with patchouli (not the very stinky kind). The amber is blended in with these scents and I get no orange at all. I think this is a unisex scent and it smells really gorgeous, I am sorry I have not reviewed earlier.Big bottle of this is definitely required. On a scale of 1 to 5, I give it a 5.

In the imp: grassy, almost unpleasant

Wet: patchouli coming through now- still grassy sharp, though.

Dry: WOW. I love what happened to this scent. It deepened and is very purry. The patchouli and amber and quite warm and sweet. I bet this would make a lovely room fragrance.

Definitely a winter scent. I am happy to have snagged a bottle before the Muses are discontinued.

This is the strangest scent on me - in a good way. It's such a morpher that I can never remember what it smells like from one day to the next. I'll give the review a shot, but I'm a little confused, actually.

It starts off decidedly aquatic with a little cedar. I was all ready to write it off (aquatic notes usually nauseate me). But then the cedar deepens, the watery note goes completely away, and about an hour later...what's this? The most beautiful tempered, spicy patchouli (not a bit ornery) comes waifting up.

I couldn't even place it at first - was it my herbal tea? a scented candle I'd forgotten about? No - it was my arm. I can't stop smelling my arm.

I asked a co-worker what it smelled like to him & he said "nice...it smells like powder" - but it doesn't smell like powder to me. It's a spicy, herbal skin scent, very responsive to body chemistry. I would bet this smells different on each person. It's...intriguing.

Woods, yep. Patchouli, very light, benzoin...might be making an appearance here.

Hmmmm. This is a strange one. I really like most of the notes listed for Clio. On, she is quite herb-y, like sage and rosemary, specifically. That mixes with the woods and incense, which should make for one of my dream-scents. It's nice, but on me, I don't feel like it's anything special. In fact, it smells like a milder version of Dee on my wrist. Since Dee is a scent I love, and is GC, I think I am safe in sticking with him rather than trying to hunt down a bottle of Clio.

Had I discovered Clio before Dee? Hard to say. Maybe I'd have fallen in love with her instead.

This was one of the first of 13 frimps I received from the lab back in July of last year. When the muses were being discontinued, I had to invest in a bottle.

In the bottle: Spiced orange, maybe the benzoin? Amber and patchouli in the background. Can't smell any lavender.

Dry on skin: Still very orange to me, but a dark amber spicy orange with a bottom note of patchouli. :P

Oh, this is really cool....On me, Clio is predominantly dark patchouli, but with a pithy bitter orange note & a touch of spice - the benzoin & amber, no doubt. If I really concentrate, I can tell there's a bit of lavender in here, as well - it reminds me of the lavender in Safari, very deep & earthy & dry. Overall, it's an incredibly light scent, for all the patchouli - it does, however, last for hours, releasing gentle wafts of orange peel & scented earth. It sounds like a odd combination, I know, and had Clio been descrived to me that way, I'd likely not have snagged a bottle... but it's really growing on me, a quiet & unobtrusive scent that very much captures an industious mind at work... Whereas Calliope spurred me to physical & creative pursuits (namely cooking & gardening), Clio is prodding me towards a long day of research & reading, mechanical pencil in hand & cold tea at my elbow.

I pretty much get patchouli from this, with a bit of lavender around the edges. Unfortunately, it didn't get any more complex than that on me. Will pass it on to someone else who can appreciate it more.

In the bottle: Sharply herbal. Lavender, patchouli, benzoin, and woods.

Wet: Still strong on the lavender and patchouli. I think this is the 'dirty' sort of patchouli, or else there is some sort of 'soil' scent which I don't like. No, I really don't like 'dirt' smells.

Dry: The dirt note does fade, leaving a dusty lavender, amber, and patchouli blend. Not my thing, but I could see it working on the right male skin chemistry.

In the imp this is allll patchouli patchouli patchouli. Maybe a little bit of citrus, but none of the other notes are noticeable.

Ok, on my skin actually the lavender starts to peek out, which is very nice. It's now kind of a dusty patchouli lavender mix with a hint of citrus.

This is best on full drydown. It's a pleasant lavender earthy wood scent, but unfortunately I amp the wood too much. I can see this being lovely on someone else though.

Edited by Suu4LC

This morning, I decided I must be productive at work - doing research, getting stuff done in general. I felt drawn to my bottle of Clio for this purpose.

Wet, it's very woody, with a sappy thick smell coming out as I applied it. As it dries, I get a lot of amber and a bit of really nice, not too dirty-hippie patcholi - rich and sophisticated. It's a touch masculine, and I don't get any of the orange. A teeny bit of lavender. I can't stop smelling it, and am pretty sad that it's discontinued.

It's a no-nonsense, very direct, self-assured scent.

In bottle/imp: Very herbal with bitter resins.

Immediately on skin: This scent is very herbal, but not green. It smells of crushed blackened herbs and bitter resins with a hint of dry woods. It has an earthy undertone from the patchouli.

After a few minutes: The wood notes in this have come to the front of the blend. They’re the first thing I smell now. Deep, dark, dry resins lurk behind and there is a base of dark patchouli. It also seems to have a slight aquatic feel to it now, like ivy or something similar.

Overall Impressions: The drydown of this blend smells to me like how the Twisted Oak Tree smells in the bottle: filled with wood and dark, dry notes and a hint of aquatics. If you enjoy the scent of a steamy, dank dark forest, this might be for you.

Okay, Lab, please stop frimping me with DCs, because I've fallen in love with the last 3 I've received.

Clio goes on fresh and herbal. The next stage is weird - I smell Cream of Wheat. The drydown is pure powdery loveliness. I've received several compliments at work.

But it's DC. Sigh.

First Sniff: The first sniff brings to mind cedar. Perhaps that's the benzoin?

Wet: Same as the first sniff, but I can also now smell the patchouli. I'm still getting that scent of cedar too.

Dry: As it dries, it starts to smell like dusty books which I found fascinating. I'm thinking that's the amber coming through.

My Reaction: Once it dried, I found that I didn't like the mixture of amber and patchouli as it started to smell a bit like sour perfume. But as it began to fade, it got better and more enjoyable. It is subtle which is nice. Sadly, I did not smell the lavendar.

Rating 1-5: 3

This smells basically of wood and the powderyness of patchouli. There's a teensy bit of orange there too.

It's ok but it's nothing to shout about in my opinion... (Sorry).

It fades extremely quickly on me too which adds to my not so amazing review of this scent.

Won't be getting a bottle of this.

:(