Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
nineveh

The Bow & Crown of Conquest

Nobility and haughtiness befitting the Antichrist: sage, carnation and cedar with lavender, vanilla, white musk and leather

Like a partnership between Tombstone and Dorian, like some have said. There is a warmness and depth to this one, the musk, vanilla and leather are to the fore. I am loving this one, it is sweeping me of my feet like some dandified Doc Holliday :P

Eta description

Edited by Tallulah

OMG *swoon* :P

I don't know what I'd do to the man wearing this in my presence :D Absolutely gorgeous this is and I'm so glad to have been frimped with it by the lab, because it would've been a while for me to 've gotten around to ordering it........

It smells masculine to me, but not overly so.....I could wear it myself if I wanted to....the vanilla gives it a kind of softness and sweetness....

This will be passed on to the man, I think he'll be *very* succesful with the ladies wearing this :D

The Bow & Crown of Conquest

in imp: vanilla, lavendar, and sage...very aromatherapy-y

wet: same, with the vanilla most predominant

dry: mainly cedar and vanilla, a surprisingly nice combination

verdict: nice, but I don't need a big bottle

at first, this scent smells a little like tobacco smoke, but after it dries down it's a creamy vanilla. I had been hoping for a spicy vanilla, maybe with a little musk. bummer. :P

I get no leather from this at all (thank goodness), just creamy vanilla with a bit of sage. This smells quite close to Lush's American Cream conditioner (my favorite!) on me. It's similar to Morocco but isn't turning into playdough on me like Morocco does--yay! Thumbs up.

Fresh out of the imp, Bow & Crown smells a lot like generic men's aftershave, but gets better on the dry down. This was a happy surprise, considering my usual luck with cedar turning me into an animate hamster box.

Bow and Crown ends up a sublte sage and leather scent. The vanilla is not obvious to me, but may be lending a bit of sweetness to the overall experience.

I will really enjoy using this imp.

this was a frimp from the lab, and i'm really liking it - lots of cedar at first, it is still very soft, warm and sweet. the leather comes out strongly, a la loviatar, which i also love - and it is a very rich, sexy scent. a bit of vanilla, a bit of lavendar - i suppose this scent could be considered gentlemanly, but i'm just enjoying it thoroughly, finding it sexy and snuggly like a big leather armchair. :P

This is such a guy scent! The leather makes me think of cowboys etc. I smell sage, but barely, and only a hint of lavender. The cedar is not at the forefront, but I can easily detect it.

I'm surprised by how much I like this. My first impression was of elegance and sophistication. The vanilla-musk combination really seems to suit me, and for some reason I get a very foody vibe from this one once it ripens a little. Rich, round, haughty and elegant.

5/5

I tried this one on a Saturday afternoon as we were leaving to meet my mother-in-law for coffee. Upon opening the bottle, I felt a "strength" in the scent. Once on my skin, ohmygoodness. It was heady. I felt strong and confident! True aromatherapy, yes?

My husband just about fell over himself trying to inhale my neck. That is a definite plus! All day, he was pressing my wrist to his face, and smelling my hair.

After reading a few reviews that said this was a masculine scent, we tried it out on him. It is just as awesome on him, and smells completely different.

On me we cannot detect the leather much at all, on him the leather comes out to play and its VERY sexy.

This is definitely one I must have a 5ml bottle of!

Lionesse

First Sniff: Vanilla, with something sharper and almost piney overlaying it. Kind of harsh.

On: More aromatic sharpness crowding in over the vanilla. Shame, I like vanilla. :->

Dry: Smelling more and more like deodorant, sort of. Vanilla nearly gone, alas. Still very sharp and 'bright'. If only I liked florals better ...

Long-Term: Dusty bright florals. Darnit.

If the vanilla had lasted more, I would be keeping it, but as it is it doesn't do much for me.

Got this in a swap today, and I remember why it was on my wishlist. I have been waiting to find a scent from this family that pleases me immensely, but this was not a real stand out.

sorry for the boring review, but I smelled oakmoss, a bit smoky, a bit of leather, all in all, a typical men's cologne.

I have other scents to try, other things that move me, and I'm just going to swap this. Maybe I will try it again in a few years when I am in a different mood.

Thanks to Teggy for the imp.

Imp: A sort of dry, spicy quality, and the peppery greenness of the sage.

Skin: The leather accord in this reminds me so much of Spanked, this is the one I like! So it must be that the cedar has a more spice feeling (perhaps assisted by the carnation) rather than woody to help lend that impression.

Drydown: The flower notes end up more herbal, I think, because of the sage and the cedar. I believe the musk in this one is accentuating the leather, in that I'm only getting a faint suggestion of sweetness, but I like the way this works on me, most definitely.

ooh this is GOOD. i smell tobacco and cedar and leather mixed with a fine gentleman’s cologne. the vanilla adds sweetness. dare i say, i prefer this to tombstone. it's more...refined. but still rugged and manly :P . a new favorite.

Honestly, I was expecting this to be far more masculine than it turned out, and now I'm kind of embarrassed to have bought an imp of it for my guy friend thinking it'd be a scent for guys (since it's a horseman and all) o.o

I can't say it's a bad scent though, sweet but not overly sugary, and more refreshing than, say, cotton candy or something. I dunno, there's just this uplifting (or maybe 'bright' would be a better word) quality about it (even if it is named after a somewhat dark character).

Bow and Crown seems multi-layered. Very close to my skin, the cedar is strong, crowding out most of the other components. But the throw is different....still woody but also sweet, herbal vanilla with sage, somewhat musky. Overall the impression is one of the more 'traditional' and masculine bpal scents, IMO. It does smell good, but I usually get more excited about the more odd and unusual scents. I really can't complain about this. It fits right in with the other Come and See scents that I tried....complex, but the different notes work together as a whole. I've never worn Tombstone but I kept thinking 'This is what Tombstone must smell like'.

I agree with someone who wrote that it smells a bit like generic men's after shave...there's some note in there that reminds me of it but I don't know what note it is! The cedar is definitely the dominant note. But there's a sweet edge...vanilla?

I like it but it's masculine and not for me.

This one is yummy. Without even putting my hand to my wrist, I can smell the vanilla and leather, with a hint of cedar. When I put my wrist to my nose, I can smell the leather, herbs and more of the vanilla. Delicious! I wasn't expecting to like this one very much, and the leather coupled with the vanilla is DIVINE. The cedar is barely there, which I am grateful for, as it has a tendency to smell overpowering on me. Whod've thunk? The throw is small, but I didn't slather very much. This smells kinda like Dorian and Loviatar together.

On him:

Everything was really nice in this one...except the sage. Either it's his skin amping it or I've hated sage all along and not realized it. It reminds me of a generic cologne that your uncle or grandfather would wear. Old Spice! That's what it is.

He liked it, I gagged. Is there something like this without the sage?

This one definitely has that "Hi! I'm a MEN'S scent!" feel to it -- sometimes I do OK with the "traditionally masculine" scents, and sometimes not so much. This one's not bad on me -- it's fairly light as men's scents go -- but it still smells unmistably like it was meant to be on a man's skin, not on mine.

The overall feel is predominantly dry and woody, with slight resinous/incensey overtones, but not enough to make it smell like an occult shop. It's subtle enough that you could wear it at the office (if you happen to be male, that is) without getting too many weird looks, though it's not a generic cologne scent by any means.

I don't really get "Antichrist" as such from it, but it does have a certain refined and subtly powerful air to it -- this is not a scent you'd smell on a lounge lizard, but more on an elegant and slightly sinister gentleman. It's captivating enough that you might want to get closer to someone wearing it, but without being overstated at all.

Were I male, I'd probably be ordering a bottle, but I'm not, so for me...

Grade: B-

The Bow and Crown of Conquest-

In Bottle: Hello, I am a sharp masculine cologne that is reminiscent of insect repellent.

Wet: Not nearly so obtrusive once it's on, kind of spicy.

Dry: Well, I'm not so fond of this one, but I can see where it would smell interesting on a man. Not a bad scent but I don't care for it myself.

Overall: Not for me.

Was hoping for a Dorian-like quality combined with a more masculinized backdrop and noticable vanilla and white musk.

During wear: The Bow and Crown of Conquest is a dry, lingeringly soft scent with refined sage as the strongest note. The sage is a smooth, well-integrated note but not what I was hoping would be the dominant player. There's a touch of cedar that's very, very lightly lifted at the edges by musk and a tiny amount of sweetness. If there's leather its a base note and quite subtle.

This seems to be leaning towards masculine but for now I like the scent and will keep the impulse 5ml I got to age it. I hope to see the vanilla and light musk actually show up as easily perceptible notes with aging. I'm also not sure how my stable skin chemistry is currently so I will retry the oil soon and edit this post with the results.

Wearability: 6/10. Softened sage with subtle woods and a really light support cast of notes is a pleasant scent for me, but probably not for everyday wear. The throw's also low to moderate in broadcast.

Overall Rating: 6.5/10. However, this may improve with aging if the vanilla shows itself and the other notes can be developed further.

---

edit: Aging update (9/3/07) - The Bow and Crown of Conquest becomes more wearable with age. The vanilla now adds a minimal, rounding sweetness, and the overall scent is much more smooth and balanced (not so much a sage-fest anymore). The cedar is now complimenting the sage instead of being hidden by it, and the sage is sort of mingled with a touch of lavender. Still no noticable white musk or leather, sadly, and the vanilla is faint and not very distinguishable. However, will definately keep the bottle at this point. New Rating: 7.5/10.

Court

Edited by Court Analyst/Strategist

I don't know about any scent befitting the Antichrist.

That being said. I like this scent. It is in a 10ml bottle. I don't know how old it is.

What comes to me first when I open it up is warmth, a little spicy, more masculine than feminine, something I could really cuddle up to applied to the right flesh.

I smell the carnation, the vanilla, the musk and a little leather. No obvious sign of lavender, cedar or sage.

On my skin, it is still very yum. Sexy, alluring, still warm and a little spicy. Stays on for quite awhile too.

Definitely a top 20 scent.

It's a keeper!

A frimp from the lab, this is my favorite of the 4 Horsemen scents. Its quite pungent in the imp, I get carnation and leather mostly, and a hint of lavender. I'm always telling myself I'm not getting anymore lavender scents, then I always find yet another that I like.

Wet, on me, an herbal, sagey lavender with leather. What a unique combination!

As it dries, the leather fades and softens, and the vanilla asserts itself. The dry stage is soft on me, but still complex and unusual. With wear, the cedar starts to come out, sweeten by the vanilla and deepened by the leather. This is gorgeous, and a bottle may be in my future.