Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
nineveh

The Bow & Crown of Conquest

Nobility and haughtiness befitting the Antichrist: sage, carnation and cedar with lavender, vanilla, white musk and leather.

The Bow and Crown of conquest immediately strikes me as very sweet in the bottle, with a slightly sugary topnote. I believe that is the white musk, as I get the same sort of 'feel' in blends like Dorian.

On my skin, this is sweet, delicious white musk blended with Beth's leather note, which works on me amazing as usual. On me, it begins quite sharp with the joint notes of leather and musk, but this dries down to a musky leather that has a touch of a floral, woodsy base. This works pretty well on me, a guy, and I can see how this is unisex. However, this would be a good blend for the men in your life.

The blend this reminds me a lot of is the Sephiroth blend Hod, although Hod has more vanilla musk and is a little more resinous than The Bow. The Bow strikes me as being less overt, yet still quite similar. If you like The Bow, you should try Hod, and vice versa.

Edited by Lycanthrope

I'd ride out to destroy the world as an agent of apocalypse, suffering, and oppression if I got to smell like this all the time! Taj Mahal go foom! Times Square, up in flames! No one will even miss Greenland! Millions flee futilely before my Ungodly might, but s'okay because I smell so AWESOME.

What I don't get is why an agent of apocalypse, suffering, and oppression would smell like vanilla and cedar. Eh, whatever works.

I don't know what happened to the sage, leather, white musk or lavender; as far as I could tell they were pre-apocalypsed in the bottle. Mostly what I got was the vanilla and cedar, and vanilla cedar it stayed! I occasionally got a whiff of something masculine-y, maybe the sage, but on the whole it was resiny woody vanilla from bottle to dry-down. It's Antichrist-licious!

Lobster Rating

Better than: nachos!

Rrrarrr! This is one sexy Antichrist. I liked a lot of the notes in this one, so I thought I'd give it a go. I'm trying out all four Come and See scents, but so far, this is the only one I've got. (Macha, the label artwork is amazingly awesome.)

The first thing I smell in the bottle is something herbal with underlying wood and leather notes. The sharpness has got to be the lavender - I've smelt it before and it is love, so I'm feeling good about this so far. I'm not really one for masculine scents, but I feel like I've been trying 'masculine' scents all evening (Titus Andronicus, Mad Hatter, Jolly Roger), so this very well may work on me.

It's lavender and cedarwood initially on, plus a warm sweetness which I'm guessing is the vanilla. Definitely a haughty and noble scent; it exudes "I'm better than you and this is why." The musk comes out after a while and softens the dark wood and herbal/astringent lavender and sage. Now I can detect the carnation, which to me has always been a sharper floral, and it blends in nicely with the rest.

I will wear this on days (switched out with Pride and The Peacock Queen) when I want to feel confident. I'm already holding my head a bit higher and feel like I can face whatever's coming to me - and it's two in the morning and I'm wearing pj's. It makes me feel like my grotty pj's are elegant.

It's wonderful. It encapsulates so much in such a little bottle. 4.5.

Mmmm, this is deliciously masculine. But not in an "I'm a big brute who will kick your ass!!!" kind of way, but in a sleek and manipulative while looking like a fashion model kind of way.

Very musky, but delicately so, if that can be possible. I bought this for the carnation, mostly, but don't really get much more out of it than the faint spicy throw that just seems to build right into that musk. Of course, the cedar is there too, and it's dry and woodsy and sweet. I can't individually identify the sage, lavender, vanilla or leather, but I'm sure there in there making this blend as posh and tricky as it is.

I really love this, and would love to smell it on my husband, if he'd ever let me put oils on him.

at first: lots of cedar and a touch of leather.

on: more sage and lavender now, with a bit of vanilla and leather. very interesting.

1 hour later: mostlyl cedar, with a bit of leather.

2.5 hours later: leather and some cedar.

overall: this scent isn't me at all.

First one I tried from my new imp pack.

In the Imp - Sharp sage with a tinge of sweetness (the cedar, I think)

On my Skin Wet - Initially, the almost biting sage that starts to fade to the sweet cedar as it starts to dry.

On my Skin Dry - Soft musky cedar; I don't get any pronounced vanilla or lavender, but there is something hovering at the edges that could be the combo of the two.

I like this and will be keeping the imp, and there is a good chance I'll order a bottle. The husband likes this one too, which is a first. Usually, I get a *sniff*: "it's OK" reaction, even for my favorites. :P

Opened it up, and sniffed the bottle. Very masculine but somehow compelling..interesting enough that I kept sniffing. I put some on and it's still manly, but getting less so. A little seems to go a long way. I'm oddly drawn to it but I can't explain why. Odd, but I like it.

First Impressions: I was thrilled to see the description for this blend, as woodsy vanilla scents are my favourite type of scent, second only to sweet leathery blends. And The Bow has all these components :D

In the vial this is everything I expected. I can smell leather, vanilla and a scent reminiscient of Golden Priapus without the juniper. In fact, it smells like Golden Priapus rubbed against a vanilla-guzzling De Sade. Holy crap :P

On my skin: I immediately pick up a sweetened leather note, which gives the blend a gentle edge. Whilst I can't specifically identify the sage or carnation notes, there is a lovely rugged spiciness to this. I should mention though, that when I took it to the pub and passed it round for sniffing, other people were able to pick up on the sage.

Warming up: I've worn this a few times now, and the first time it dried on my skin and the vanilla vanished. I was heartbroken. But, having worn it a few times now, I've found that the sweetness stays put. Incidentally, I find with blends that I have to wear them a few times for them to stabilise, although I don't know if this is a nose/skin/aging issue. Curious.

Drydown: On my skin this is vanillary leather underscored by a woodsy spice. Sometimes the vanilla comes out on top, sometimes the leatheriness. Either way, it's just stunning.

Final Verdict: After a few wearings, I can perhaps put this in my Top 3 blends of all time. This is no mean feat. It's right up there with Loviatar, Golden Priapus and Dana O'Shee for me. Further wearing will determine how high it climbs in the preference stakes. I have 5ml on order. I am absolutely bleeping thrilled!

Edited by Pookstrell

In the imp, this was way to manly for me, and I like the boy scents. So, I put some on my husband.

Wow. I'm in lurv. Vanilla and wood, and a little leathery undertone. It's very sexy, especially on sleepy boy. Dread doesn't wear much in the way of scent, but even he really liked this. I may have to get him a bottle. It makes me want to rip off his clothes and be late for work, which is a very good thing.

(I agree with the poster who wants to get in the Antichrist's pants....rawr)

Heaven in a bottle! I love all the notes in this one so of course I'd love the whole thing. My gut reaction was "damn this is a killer men's scent." But as it kept drying I was like, "Oh hell no! This one's for me!"

Initially it's a really soft sage. The lavender is merely a memory flashing in the background. The cedar starts to pick up dry and the carnation is really keeping this a little spicey, but subdued and mellow. The musk is just a fuzzy top layer over everything. I can't really smell the vanilla but I suspect it's working with carnation in this. The leather is what gives this blend a slight edge, but it isn't overwhelmingly animal hide.

I love this. I thought it smelled like a more woodsy, less salty cousin of Jolly Roger. Imma getting a big bottle...should have done it unsniffed like I was going to :P

ADD: after an hour or two of wear the leather note became very dominant. Much more reminiscent of Perversion and de Sade.

Edited by Rheliwen

In the bottle:

A warm, almost sickly sweet smell that I cannot put my finger on

On me:

Hmmm. On one hand, this is a warm, slightly sweet scent once it's reached it drydown stage. It's a lovely and apparent vanilla base. The leather adds a sort of smokey, sexy appeal to that vanilla, but vanilla is still in charge.

On the other hand - there is something behind that vanilla that is going wierd and artificial on me. It's like the smell of a cheap conditioner, not quite plastic-y but definitely artificial. I am hoping that note, whatever it is - goes away.

I am pleased to say that the cedar is staying the hell away from me. Usually it does all kinds of terrible things to me, but I don't even detect it here. Or... maybe the cedar is the one creating that really funky note that I can't identify. I honestly wouldn't be surprised.

Final note:

I wish I liked this. The vanilla had me hopeful, but there is some note in this that just smells funky to me. I think I'm going to keep my imp and hope that it turns out differently next time I wear it, but right now I'm going to have to say that something in this ruins it for me. I am going to blame the cedar *frowns at cedar*

I think this is quite like Perversion (DH's #2 fave) but with a bright top note and a delicious drydown...mmm, vanilla and white musk with LEATHER. How could it be more sexy?

Edited by lookingglass

Wow, this is much sweeter than I expected. I was wary of the cedar, as Tombstone ended up being WAY too woody for me, but this is niiiiiice. :P

This is mostly musky vanilla and leather on me, with a little bit of lavender and cedar in the background. This would smell delicious on a man, but it also smells delicious on me. This could definitely be a big bottle purchase, provided the cedar continues to behave itself.

this is very masculine to me.......

i can sense the leather note and some musk.....

there is really not too much morphing going on here.......

i will pass this along to the boy as i am sure it will

smell just divine on him :P

In the imp- musk and leather. Leather. Eek. Leather + me= bad.

Wet- Vanilla, cedar, sage and musk. Mmm.

Dry- Vanilla, a sweet musk and a back of sage to give it a touch of standoffishness, as well as a teensy bit of spicy which I'm going to guess is the carnation. This just might turn into a 5ml. This is like La Fee Verte mixed with Dorian in the woods. This is drop dead sexy.

This is really really really nice. I think I love all things vanilla and lavender and these are the two most prominant notes on my skin with this one.

This has all the swagger of Tombstone but instead of wearing chaps he's sliding into the saloon wearing a long Victorian coat and has a carnation in his lapel

I agree with sarada on this one! It's a perfect description of what it is like on me! I dont' get any leather from it though which I suppose is a good thing as Its perfect the way it is on me! Gorgeous!

My initial impression of this in the imp was that it would be very manly on and thereby unwearable for me. I was wrong. This stuff is AWESOME on a woman or a man.

On (wet): I get a very familiar feel to this one. Almost like Morocco, really. This is due to the woody-carnation I believe. At this point, it is an almost duplicate of Morocco on my skin.

On (dry): Oh, this warms up and softens up nicely. Where Morocco is sexy-sweet, this is soft and almost mournful. It's almost like you can feel regret from the individual destined to burden this terrible destiny. However, this has a haughtiness to it as well as this sadness. Amazing. If this had a color, I would say the pink of the sunset when the sun is merely a sliver on the horizon.

Overall: This smelled just as good on Mike and so it will certainly go on our to purchase list. It's gorgeous. Actually, all of the scents in this collection are amazing!! Beautiful job, Beth. You never cease to amaze me!!

In the bottle: How did Beth stuff a hot!sexy! Antichrist into this tiny imp?

On the skin: It's warm, spicy, deep, a little brooding. The perfect man scent, although I don't think The Boy would take kindly to me pouring this on him. Definately a larger bottle purchase!

This is such a warm, comforting scent! It makes me think of a cozy book-lined study, full of leather armchairs, with lamps that shed a tranquil golden light.

Espcially nice for stone-cold winter days.

In the imp: Leather and cigars.

Wet on me: Musky sweetness envelopes the smell of leather. :Inhales deeply:

Drydown: Very comforting, like curling on a leather chair in a library filled with books. Said library is owned by a distinguished gentleman who smokes sweet smelling cigars.

Verdict: This scent is spot-on with the lab description. :Plots to get hubby to try this scent: :P

Edited by mandragora

This went incredibly masculine on me. It's a proud, wicked, astringent scent (that would be the lavender) with a lot of musk and leather. Not the scent for me, but if I could convince the Boy to wear it, I'd be a very happy girl.

I bought this and some other imps for Dr. Boyfriend, and I thought I would be all clever and steal some for myself this morning. The following is a true account.

In the imp: "Mmm, spicy, floral, a hint of leather. What could go wrong?"

Wet: "Punches up the musk and cedar. I'm liking this so far."

Dry: "It's starting to smell kind of leathery."

A few hours later: "What smells like smoke?"

I don't know why this reacted so badly to my skin, but after a couple of hours, all I got was a strong odor of flowers and stale cigarette smoke. I swear, it was like smelling your clothes the day after you've been clubbing in them. It gave me a headache, and though I tried to tough it out, I ended up wiping myself down with a paper towel soaked in hand sanitizer gel to get the smell off me. Granted, this may have something to do with last night's bad free wine.

I'm sure this will smell much better on Dr. Boyfriend. Now I'll know to stay out of his stash.

-K

In the imp: sharp and musky. The lavender is pretty dominant, and I can't smell the sage or vanilla at all.

On me, wet: hey, white musk and vanilla and leather. I don't think I can smell the cedar, but then again I am terrible with woody scents. The lavender has pretty much gone.

On me, dry: the leather really takes over until I find it hard to smell much else. Much much later, after it's calmed down, the lavender and vanilla re-emerge, but it's very faint.

Verdict: The lavender and vanilla scent at the end is quite nice, but it's not really anything I'd be seeking out to wear for myself, and since the SO doesn't want to try it either, swap pile it is.

In the imp this was very tasty. It was warm leathery vanilla and musk. On my skin it smelled like wood. Dry wood. I'm surprised the vanilla didn't go plastic on me. Most of the time that happens with vanilla. But the vanilla also disappeared once it was on my skin. Hmm on my skin it didn't really end up being anything that great. oh well